Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/15/2019 at 9:17 AM, B35 via Church said:

- n20 G/H Saturday schedule towards Great Neck/Flushing is missing after that 2:30 pm trip out of Great Neck....

- n20 G/H Sunday schedule towards Great Neck/Hicksville is missing before that 2:00 pm trip out of Great Neck....

I don't agree with it, but I'm guessing that the thinking is that those are prime hours where the masses are doing their shopping inside Whitman Mall on weekends.... Not the first time I've seen something scheduled like that, where you have some suburban routes that serve malls have gaps of the sort.... IINM, I believe the weekend BL-12 was scheduled like that (before that *shrug* worthy cutback to Armonk)....

Anyway, weekdays, they want to make the thing (n79) a rush hour only route....

Hate to say, but those gaps are intentional & they're not going to be filled in.

They still hasn't recalled n20G/H schedule

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:23 PM, FamousNYLover said:

Also N88 PDF schedule is going to Nikon Days.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:51 PM, FamousNYLover said:

How about you just tell us what in the world "Nikon Days" is....

I mean, it's bad enough that your posts in & of themselves takes extra figuring out to try to understand......

On 5/21/2019 at 11:15 AM, FamousNYLover said:

PDF schedule is May 25, 2013.

I'm guessing NICE uploaded it intentionally because they secured enough funding to restore concert service on the n88, but didn't have time to create a completely new timetable for it.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:48 PM, NY1635 said:

I'm guessing NICE uploaded it intentionally because they secured enough funding to restore concert service on the n88, but didn't have time to create a completely new timetable for it.

They never created schedule last year either.

I checked n20G/H schedule and that schedules must been recalled.

The dropped runs are really getting out of hand. I've counted numerous totally dropped runs on the N15 and N24 weekdays during rush-hours and mid-days the past several weeks.  And severe lateness on the N24, N15 and N22.  Customer base appears decimated since people are switching to other modes of transit, rather than wait for slow, delayed or dropped buses. Someone needs to take charge and fix this, before this company goes out of business. Mineola and Roosevelt Field have far fewer customers than in years past.

20 hours ago, NY1635 said:

NICE just released their Summer Schedule. I'm surprised that the Elmont Flexi is getting more hours, with the first trip to Green Acres leaving Meacham Ave and Hempstead Turnpike at 4:50 in the morning.

The n78 now officially runs on Saturdays. They shifted the periods the n79 runs about 1 hour earlier. If they're gonna add n78 bus service on Saturday, they could have added midday and evening n79 service (which would have been more beneficial).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The n78 now officially runs on Saturdays. They shifted the periods the n79 runs about 1 hour earlier. If they're gonna add n78 bus service on Saturday, they could have added midday and evening n79 service (which would have been more beneficial).

I've heard that the n78/79 has an average ridership of around 1,200, and the restoration of Saturday Service might add another 200-400 to it. 

Edited by NY1635

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:25 PM, RtrainBlues said:

The dropped runs are really getting out of hand. I've counted numerous totally dropped runs on the N15 and N24 weekdays during rush-hours and mid-days the past several weeks.  And severe lateness on the N24, N15 and N22.  Customer base appears decimated since people are switching to other modes of transit, rather than wait for slow, delayed or dropped buses. Someone needs to take charge and fix this, before this company goes out of business. Mineola and Roosevelt Field have far fewer customers than in years past.

That, and on top of it, they keep di**ing around with service... Change can be good, but too much of it too frequently creates a certain instability; it's enough that waning reliability is an issue here.... You can barely plan a commute when the schedules keep changing every like 3-6 months.... Lot of NICE riders make xfers to other routes/modes, so that's also something that's gotta be considered......

On top of THAT, when you're running but so few BPH on a lot of these routes, yeah, everything said here is all a recipe for disaster....

I hate to even say this, but they're the polar opposite of the MTA as far as what I'm about to mention, goes..... While being frugal in their own right, NICE is getting too creative....

That's not necessarily a good thing.

I had a feeling this severe bunching of the n32’s I mentioned earlier (due to extreme traffic congestion along Central Avenue & perhaps even the torrential downpour that soon followed), would eventually backfire later on.

7:10 PM, I just got out of work & ran to the n32 bus at Central/Washington. Bus was over capacity, and the driver would not let me (or anyone else at the stop) on.

Keep in mind, the next n32 after this isn’t for another hour, so I pulled up Where’s My Bus & saw on the map that the last n31 would not be able to get to Central/Rockaway Turnpike until nearly 8 PM too. So, I guided the two people who were left behind with me. We walk down Central Avenue, and soon we reach Rockaway Turnpike.

ANOTHER TEN PEOPLE had been stranded from the last bus for the next hour or so at Central/Rockaway. So, in a heroic effort, I led EVERYBODY to Mott/Rockaway to get the next Q114 to Far Rockaway, which arrived at 7:30 (thankfully, an artic with more than enough room for everyone to sit).

It really simmers me that out of all five ways to get in & out of Five Towns on a MetroCard, none of them are anywhere near ideal for me personally.

Q113/114 & n31/32 - Unreliable & nonexistent

(A) - Infrequent & requires taking one of the four unreliable bus routes above to actually get me to where I work.