Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

21 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

NICE bus have extremely tight schedules normally, but my experience these days are that NICE runs really early. NICE probably has some of the most aggressive lead foot drivers in the tri state area.  

I was on the n70 from Farmingdale, and the bus was on time at Rt 110. By the time the bus got to Front St it was 7 minutes early. We ended up arriving Hempstead 15 minutes early which was crazy. Good for me because I can catch an earlier n6, but I wonder if anybody was left behind due to the earliness of the bus

I'm going to go down the slippery slope here.....

Westfield sold Sunrise Mall off for a measly 30 million earlier this year; that is embarrassingly low for a mall structure the size of Sunrise - especially considering inflation.... The n71 over the years has went from being complementary service along Hempstead Tpke. to straight up supplementary service along Hempstead Tpke.... Sunrise has been struggling for god knows how long now.... FWIW, the majority of the masses head out to RFM in Nassau county..... Long story short, I think the n72 is going to end up being the sole route along that corridor.... In other words, instead of having buses ending at SUNY Farmingdale (n70) & Sunrise (n71), all trips along that corridor will end up terminating at rt. 110/Conklin.....

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm going to go down the slippery slope here.....

Westfield sold Sunrise Mall off for a measly 30 million earlier this year; that is embarrassingly low for a mall structure the size of Sunrise - especially considering inflation.... The n71 over the years has went from being complementary service along Hempstead Tpke. to straight up supplementary service along Hempstead Tpke.... Sunrise has been struggling for god knows how long now.... FWIW, the majority of the masses head out to RFM in Nassau county..... Long story short, I think the n72 is going to end up being the sole route along that corridor.... In other words, instead of having buses ending at SUNY Farmingdale (n70) & Sunrise (n71), all trips along that corridor will end up terminating at rt. 110/Conklin.....

You are right about the n71 being supplemental. Most of the ridership along that route gets off/on along Hempstead Tpk. Similarly, the ridership on the n54/55 is very poor to Sunrise Mall as well. Most of the ridership on the 54/55 gets off way before Washington Ave (where the 54 turns). I wonder if that ridership was always this poor in the eastern portion of the n54/55, or if it is a casualty of NICE bus crappy scheduling along the individual portions of the n54/55 

Tbh you may be right about the service on Hempstead Tpk in the future. Meaning that all routes terminate at Rt 110. It would be a shame though. NICE has very poor connections to Suffolk County transit these days, and cutting them at Rt 110 would make them worse. I personally use the 2B to fan out further east, but it does seems like that most SCT transfers in that area is to/from the S1. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I may have to take the N6, which I've never done before. How reliable is it? Any issues to be aware of? 

It's very crowded, but realiable sometimes. Also if you plan, you should try N6X which articulated bus ride, but Artic on n6X never seem to work but USB charger on articulated works.

Sometimes n6X Articulated trip used regular buses.

6 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

It's very crowded, but realiable sometimes. Also if you plan, you should try N6X which articulated bus ride, but Artic on n6X never seem to work but USB charger on articulated works.

Sometimes n6X Articulated trip used regular buses.

Thank you!

Is there an n6X schedule? I don't see one on the NICE website

Edited by QM1to6Ave

12 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thank you!

Is there an n6X schedule? I don't see one on the NICE website

n6X was running during fall 2020 and I guess they change for winter COVID19 schedule.

When I took n6X in fall, new driver was not very nice, so I had to stay charging up phone on usb bus.

On 1/28/2016 at 2:43 PM, MTA Orion Bus said:

Needless to say, if I ever saw you doing it in front of me, or pretending to work for NICE, I'd certainly call the police. Since you didn't post the photo here, I assume this is the bus that got stuck courtesy of a public Facebook group:

7CWbIxN.jpg

Good use of our tax dollars on PinePowerLI am I right?

Well, thank you for keeping us informed.

It's not illegal to direct traffic. People in Manhattan does all the time during blackout.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Come on now dude, that post was made over 5 whole years ago..... You know better.

Funnier thing is he already responded to this post:

On 1/28/2016 at 7:45 PM, FamousNYLover said:

I wouldn't get arrested because my NYPD friend gave me "Get out of Jail Pass."

On 2/27/2021 at 8:20 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The n6X has been indefinitely suspended. It's all n6 locals.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:58 PM, Lex said:

Even if that weren't the case, I can't see the variant getting a separate schedule.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:11 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Thank you!

When I took n6X Artic, it wasn't very full ride on Fall 2020 service.

Speaking about the n6, who thought it would be a good idea to have service run every 25 minutes after 7PM on weekdays. Those trip ended up packed because of it. I think its ridiculous during the COVID-19 pandemic to have buses with 10 people standing with all the seats filled 

The thing is, ON SUNDAYS the buses are more frequent during this time!

Edited by Mtatransit

Even though the N6x is suspended, they are running artics on the regular N6 runs, seen an artic on the N6 today. People must be getting left behind at Hempstead and 165th terminals as the artics don't use the N6 bays at those terminals.

Fanned the N20H today, I LOVE the eastern end of that route, those areas feel like the boonies at times with the lack of sidewalks and street lights. Took that to Great Neck for the N26, the N26 was bus number 1700, funny I got that bus as I wasted lots of time waiting at 165th street years ago waiting for that bus when it was an pilot bus at LIB. I've caught 1700 quite a few times long after that order was completed.

Edited by trainfan22

On 3/3/2021 at 5:35 PM, trainfan22 said:

Even though the N6x is suspended, they are running artics on the regular N6 runs, seen an artic on the N6 today. People must be getting left behind at Hempstead and 165th terminals as the artics don't use the N6 bays at those terminals.

Fanned the N20H today, I LOVE the eastern end of that route, those areas feel like the boonies at times with the lack of sidewalks and street lights. Took that to Great Neck for the N26, the N26 was bus number 1700, funny I got that bus as I wasted lots of time waiting at 165th street years ago waiting for that bus when it was an pilot bus at LIB. I've caught 1700 quite a few times long after that order was completed.

Don't the artics also run on the n88?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Don't the artics also run on the n88?

Isn't that the Jones Beach - Freeport shuttle bus? If so IDK as I haven't ridden that route in years, last time I rode it it was still LIB. Also it's a seasonal route, it doesn't run during the cold weather months.

EDIT: after seaching YT yea artics do run on the N88, found this video on YouTube

Edited by trainfan22

14 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Isn't that the Jones Beach - Freeport shuttle bus? If so IDK as I haven't ridden that route in years, last time I rode it it was still LIB. Also it's a seasonal route, it doesn't run during the cold weather months.

EDIT: after seaching YT yea artics do run on the N88, found this video on YouTube

Ah, nice to see the XN60's running on something other then the dam n6 for once...

Woah big service changes effective April 4th.

• N1 trips to Jamaica are now marked on the schedule with the letter J and will skip Green Acres and Valley Stream LIRR
  • N4 stops in Queens reduced to major streets only. Currently- 30 stops between subway and Hook Creek, future- 12 stops
  • N15 service between HTC and Roosevelt Field eliminated. Trips via County Seat will end at Mineola LIRR rush hours only.
  • N16 will be rerouted over N27 between HTC and RF Mall. Then terminate at Nassau Community College.
  • N27 between HTC and RF Mall is eliminated.
  • N20/21 back on same schedule with 15 minute combined headway between Great Neck and Roslyn.
  • Seems like N35 shuttles between mall and HTC will cover N15.
  • Slight route changes to N15 and N31/32
  • And they combined the N16/27 and N25/58 schedules for some reason

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, jaf0519 said:

Woah big service changes effective April 4th.

• N1 trips to Jamaica are now marked on the schedule with the letter J and will skip Green Acres and Valley Stream LIRR
  • N4 stops in Queens reduced to major streets only. Currently- 30 stops between subway and Hook Creek, future- 12 stops
  • N15 service between HTC and Roosevelt Field eliminated. Trips via County Seat will end at Mineola LIRR rush hours only.
  • N16 will be rerouted over N27 between HTC and RF Mall. Then terminate at Nassau Community College.
  • N27 between HTC and RF Mall is eliminated.
  • N20/21 back on same schedule with 15 minute combined headway between Great Neck and Roslyn.
  • Seems like N35 shuttles between mall and HTC will cover N15.
  • Slight route changes to N15 and N31/32
  • And they combined the N16/27 and N25/58 schedules for some reason

N4x- Super express in Queens..

Which means new stops are:

Archer/158

Parsons/Archer

Archer/Guy Brewer

Archer/168

Merrick/Liberty

Merrick/Linden

Merrick/Baisley

Merrick/Farmers