Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

On 9/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, User said:

Could an XN40 clear an underpass that is marked as 10'6 in height?

I heard NYS is one of the only states that do not measure height of bridges by its asphalt to bridge. Only an absolute clearance is from ground-bridge. 

I think they measure top of curb to the bridge height, or around 1 foot. The rumor is to anticipate snow buildup

12 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Maintenance in Nassau County has been shit long before Transdev took over.....

Before NICE even took over, MTA sent V CNGs from Brooklyn & Queens to Long Island to get the Long Island Bus Orions ready for DOT approval. A bunch of LIB CNGs went to College Point, Spring Creek, ENY and Zerega to get worked on. Those buses might've only looked good on the outside, but everywhere else had other underlying problems.

As for buses catching on fire, that's not always a result of bad maintenance, other issues can occur such as overheating. Even with perfect maintenance, something can happen on a route along the way with xxxx bus on xxxx route.

I doubt Nassau cares who runs the service, as long as there is some resemblance of service, and its cheap. There are many Nassau residence who would love to see the whole system gone.

Maintenance briefly improved when the Orion 7s enter service, but quickly went downhill when the (MTA) started playing chicken with Nassau

Besides, the (MTA) is downright expensive. If we were to improve service, I would rather give more money to NICE than pour money into the black hole that is the (MTA) 

Edited by Mtatransit

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mtatransit said:

I heard NYS is one of the only states that do not measure height of bridges by its asphalt to bridge. Only an absolute clearance is from ground-bridge. 

I think they measure top of curb to the bridge height, or around 1 foot. The rumor is to anticipate snow buildup

I doubt Nassau cares who runs the service, as long as there is some resemblance of service, and its cheap. There are many Nassau residence who would love to see the whole system gone.

Maintenance briefly improved when the Orion 7s enter service, but quickly went downhill when the (MTA) started playing chicken with Nassau

Besides, the (MTA) is downright expensive. If we were to improve service, I would rather give more money to NICE than pour money into the black hole that is the (MTA) 

Nassau owed the MTA 106 million, the same amount of money that they put into NICE. Nassau refused to pay, so MTA decided to cut down on maintenance and service in some areas. Then, when NICE took over, Ed Mangano started slashing away at that thinking that he can reduce the funding while keeping the same level of service and maintenance, the joke was on him, hence what NICE became over the past 9-10 years.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to know on what you think of NICE's equipment?  Just last Wednesday, I rode on 1867, and it sounds like a beast! It sounds close to a Cummins L10G engine. It was my second time riding with NICE, and I felt vibes about riding with the agency for some time now. I know that there was a previous comment about the fleet,  whether or not I may be wrong.

The other day I fanned the N54 or 55? from Hempstead to Sunrise Mall, cool route but man Sunrise Mall is a ghost town. Mall was practically empty, yea it was an weekday but I went Roosevelt Field during the week before and it was fairly busy. Sunrise Mall food court only has two restaurants... I'm not joking it really only has two restaurants.

Walked around the mall to kill time as I had planned to take the N71 back to Hempstead... Which I did. Sunrise mall bus terminal was also a ghost town.

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The other day I fanned the N54 or 55? from Hempstead to Sunrise Mall, cool route but man Sunrise Mall is a ghost town. Mall was practically empty, yea it was an weekday but I went Roosevelt Field during the week before and it was fairly busy. Sunrise Mall food court only has two restaurants... I'm not joking it really only has two restaurants.

Walked around the mall to kill time as I had planned to take the N71 back to Hempstead... Which I did. Sunrise mall bus terminal was also a ghost town.

They actually improved the appearance of Sunrise Mall. Used to look worse. They have a sears in there which is interesting, because they are all gone at this point

The "terminal" is terrible. I'm not even sure if people use the bus to go the the Sunrise anymore

All the n54/55s trips I taken were empty by the time it got to Uniondale Ave, and all the n71s I taken were empty after Farmingdale. There is some SCT ridership but I would argue that the ridership is negligible on both the S33 and the S20 to the mall. 

Edited by Mtatransit

If that Sears is anything like the other few remaining stores, I bet it's also got half-empty shelves, merchandise scattered over the floor, half the lights burnt out, and two cashiers max working the entire store.

Shame because Sears and its products used to be fairly decent.  All the bikes I had growing up were secondhand Sears store-brand bikes from the '70s.  Good times.

NICE Updates:

2042 & 2045 spotted in Pennsylvania or New Jersey(these units might have been delivered already)

2051, 2053 and and unknown Gillig in the 2040s or 2050s is currently on the way

2040, 2043-2044, 2046, 2048-2050, 2052 are built

confirmed Gilligs delivered as of 10/15/2021: 2000-2039, 2041, 2047(042)