Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

On 7/19/2022 at 9:26 PM, Cait Sith said:

To whomever that said that 1800 was scrapped...it's not.

On 7/27/2022 at 8:20 PM, MTABusTransitFanner said:

It was mistakenly mentioned as retired, it was actually OOS for a whole month due to maintenance fyi 

The inspections for the 2010-2011 1800s were renewed through to the end of this year.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Is someone purposely smashing in all the windows on the retired NG’s that are going for auction? What the hell!

I believe they do that becauee the buses are not supposed to be driven if purchased (ie just for parts), as someone posted a while back (can't remember who)

8 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Curious if anyone on here has experience with the N31 or N32 lines. I might have to take one of them, was curious how reliable they are.  

Rode them plenty of times from end to end since during the LIB days; usually do so from HTC (where I tend to have better luck with either route).... Don't know where you need to get to/from, but in general, the n32 is overall busier, but the n31 is the faster ride on the more southern end... Can't really go wrong with either; I don't find them to be too unreliable.... YMMV...

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Rode them plenty of times from end to end since during the LIB days; usually do so from HTC (where I tend to have better luck with either route).... Don't know where you need to get to/from, but in general, the n32 is overall busier, but the n31 is the faster ride on the more southern end... Can't really go wrong with either; I don't find them to be too unreliable.... YMMV...

Thabks! Really appreciate it! I think I need to meet a client in the Woodmere area, and I'd normally get a zipcar but using NICE might actually make sense

One more question, is the N6 (not the N6X ) reliable? I'll likely be coming in on LIRR, but I see the N6 mighr be an option if needed as well

13 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thabks! Really appreciate it! I think I need to meet a client in the Woodmere area, and I'd normally get a zipcar but using NICE might actually make sense

One more question, is the N6 (not the N6X ) reliable? I'll likely be coming in on LIRR, but I see the N6 mighr be an option if needed as well

Put it to you this way.... The n6 is more reliable than the n31/32.

18 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Curious if anyone on here has experience with the N31 or N32 lines. I might have to take one of them, was curious how reliable they are.  

The n31 and n32 usually operates every 10-15 minutes on the weekdays, as he mentioned above, ur better off with the n6 or n6X

3 hours ago, MTABusTransitFanner said:

The n31 and n32 usually operates every 10-15 minutes on the weekdays, as he mentioned above, ur better off with the n6 or n6X

Thank you! I'd most likely be able to take the LIRR instead of the N6, but I'm glad to know its a reasonable backup

NICE bus is probably the only system I've been on that still consistently enforce the face covering required rule.

Their drivers also have no hesitation confronting people not paying. I was on a n20 last week where the bus literally sat in the middle of Sanford Avenue for 5 minutes until that guy found his Metrocard. And they never press the F5 button unless its for their GoMobile Tickets, so I'm wondering if the operators themselves get disciplined if they don't enforce the rule/fare for them to take it so seriously. 

Or maybe I'm just used to MTA not giving a crap about the fare these days 

That being said, they really need to add service on the n22 on the weekend. Maybe its the third track project, but the buses are SRO coming westbound out of Roosevelt Field, and completely packed by the time the bus gets to NHP Rd. However most passenger don't seem to be going to the subway at 179th so maybe its not the third track project

Also I think it would be really beneficial if we have more of a pulse operation with n20g/h, n58, n25 at Great Neck instead of a barely timed mess at either the train stations two side and at Middle Neck Rd. granted n25/n58 are currently interlined on weekends, I have a feeling more n58 pax would benefit more with the n20G connection instead of the n25. It would mean that NICE would need to standardize its schedules with probably the n25/58 running every 40 minutes, n20g/h/21 running every 20 minutes

On 6/8/2015 at 6:34 PM, FamousNYLover said:

Even with sign, it wouldn't work. It happens on n4, n6, n22 and n24 along Hillside Av portion as well because Q12 bus is very slow, so some people pretend to go to Nassau County. It's same policy like MTA's $6.50 express buses that goes from four boroughs into Manhattan.

It wouldn't work even if bus is cleaned. Majority of bus riders they just throw garbage on floor.

Q12 is only really slow between Lippman Plaza and 165th street because that is where most Q12 riders get on and off, and I know from experience, whenever I take the Q12 from/to Flushing, there are people getting on/off at every stop from 165th street to Lippman Plaza, but from 165th Street to Glenwood Street, it's smooth sailing. Which brings me an idea, there should be a Q12 LTD which would make stops at Lippman Plaza/Union Street, Parsons Boulevard, 150th Street for a connection to the Murray Hill LIRR Station, 162nd Street for a connection to the Broadway LIRR Station, Utopia Parkway, Francis Lewis Boulevard, and Bell Boulevard. The Q12 LTD would make all stops east of Bell Boulevard.

16 hours ago, Krocyoin said:

Q12 is only really slow between Lippman Plaza and 165th street because that is where most Q12 riders get on and off, and I know from experience, whenever I take the Q12 from/to Flushing, there are people getting on/off at every stop from 165th street to Lippman Plaza, but from 165th Street to Glenwood Street, it's smooth sailing. Which brings me an idea, there should be a Q12 LTD which would make stops at Lippman Plaza/Union Street, Parsons Boulevard, 150th Street for a connection to the Murray Hill LIRR Station, 162nd Street for a connection to the Broadway LIRR Station, Utopia Parkway, Francis Lewis Boulevard, and Bell Boulevard. The Q12 LTD would make all stops east of Bell Boulevard.

This wouldn't be a good idea because the Q12 mainly works as a subway feeder route. The peak direction is headed to Flushing in the mornings and in the evenings, the peak direction is headed out to LIttle Neck. The Q12 doesn't have enough ridership generators when headed out east, it'll mainly pick-up at Flushing and mostly be dropping off as it heads east. As you said, the busiest portion is along Sanford Avenue up to 165th Street where it connects to Northern Blvd, what's the point of running Limited all the way out to Bell Blvd? On the flip side, in the morning, the Q12 LTD would end up passing up damn near everyone along Sanford which is going to piss everyone off. You're going to end up running these Limited Trips with almost no one getting on them because they only stop at transfer points/major intersections but the Q12 tends to have ridership spaced out between the local intermediate stops. You may have 1 to 4 people getting on at each local stop while the Limited exists to serve only the transfer points. I would say that the local stops actually make up probably close to 60-70% of the ridership on the Q12 so you're ultimately doing a riders a disservice by running empty LTDs.

4 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

This wouldn't be a good idea because the Q12 mainly works as a subway feeder route. The peak direction is headed to Flushing in the mornings and in the evenings, the peak direction is headed out to LIttle Neck. The Q12 doesn't have enough ridership generators when headed out east, it'll mainly pick-up at Flushing and mostly be dropping off as it heads east. As you said, the busiest portion is along Sanford Avenue up to 165th Street where it connects to Northern Blvd, what's the point of running Limited all the way out to Bell Blvd? On the flip side, in the morning, the Q12 LTD would end up passing up damn near everyone along Sanford which is going to piss everyone off. You're going to end up running these Limited Trips with almost no one getting on them because they only stop at transfer points/major intersections but the Q12 tends to have ridership spaced out between the local intermediate stops. You may have 1 to 4 people getting on at each local stop while the Limited exists to serve only the transfer points. I would say that the local stops actually make up probably close to 60-70% of the ridership on the Q12 so you're ultimately doing a riders a disservice by running empty LTDs.

"the Q12 LTD would end up passing up damn near everyone along Sanford which is going to piss everyone off" Uh that is the point, Q12 LTD is for riders going to/from Flushing who live east of 165h Street and don't wanna spend 15 minutes along Sanford Avenue and wanna get to/from Flushing quicker, Q12 LTD would still stop at Parsons Blvd, 150th Street, 162nd Street along Sanford Avenue. Local service would still operate 24/7, Q12 LTD on the other hand would operate westbound towards Flushing-Main Street during Morning rush hours and eastbound towards Little Neck during Evening rush hours so riders on Sanford Avenue shouldn't worry at all.

Edited by Krocyoin

5 hours ago, Krocyoin said:

"the Q12 LTD would end up passing up damn near everyone along Sanford which is going to piss everyone off" Uh that is the point, Q12 LTD is for riders going to/from Flushing who live east of 165h Street and don't wanna spend 15 minutes along Sanford Avenue and wanna get to/from Flushing quicker, Q12 LTD would still stop at Parsons Blvd, 150th Street, 162nd Street along Sanford Avenue. Local service would still operate 24/7, Q12 LTD on the other hand would operate westbound towards Flushing-Main Street during Morning rush hours and eastbound towards Little Neck during Evening rush hours so riders on Sanford Avenue shouldn't worry at all.

But you said the LTD makes Limited Stops until Bell Blvd which is easily 75% of the route. The local riders all along Northern Blvd until Oceania Street would have the longest commute because the LTD bypasses their stop. Face it, just come out and say that you live in Douglaston or Little Neck and you want a faster commute at the expense of 60% of the ridership base of the Q12. In your scenario, the locals would be standing room only and the Limiteds would be carrying air.