Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Don't they have customer service rep by the name of Latoya Pippins?

The Facebook page provides valuable near-real time updates and they often respond to service questions. But most of these updates never make it to the NICE site, which could be a problem given the high senior/disabled/poor ridership of NICE who may not have Facebook to "know before you go", let alone on the go.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't they have customer service rep by the name of Latoya Pippins?

The Facebook page provides valuable near-real time updates and they often respond to service questions. But most of these updates never make it to the NICE site, which could be a problem given the high senior/disabled/poor ridership of NICE who may not have Facebook to "know before you go", let alone on the go.

What difference would it make to these people if it was on facebook, but not making it to the nice site.  If you feel they can't get to facebook can they can get to nice's website?

This entire week I've seen all of three Orion Vs.

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with those NG crowds on the N16 I saw when I was at NCC last year.  What always made me laugh is someone running out of the Student Union yelling at the bus operator to let them on a bus that has no room, even in the rear.  Eventually I just started taking the 35 and 43 to Hempstead.  The sadder thing is that the 43 and 35 would often beat the 16 to Hempstead, what with the bus having to go through the Social Serice building and that school traffic.

Edited by Joel Up Front

If a passenger short-drops (pays a partial fare) is there a button the B/O can press to issue a transfer? I think I've seen this happen on NICE before.

All buses with that farebox (MTA/NICE/Bee Line) have a button that issues a transfer, it can be hit at any time even if a fare wasn't paid. It's just policy to only issue them when the full fare is paid upon entry.

I'm really starting to like NICE's public relations, especially on their Facebook. Not only do they keep in contact with me well, but if you have a smartphone, you get the service alerts faster there than you do on their site. They're also starting little campaigns here and there to kinda boost bus service morale. This is the first of what is supposed to be a YouTube campaign:

3G FOAM!

customer service LIKE A BOSS WOW JUST WOW this may work out for the better after all.

customer service LIKE A BOSS WOW JUST WOW this may work out for the better after all.

Yesterday, when I was waiting for 9:54 n27 Roslyn Station bus at Greenvale, one female passenger called "Legislator Carrie Solages" and sent voice message, "Veolia sacks. We need MTA Back" in loud angry voice."

Edited by FamousNYLover

Yesterday, when I was waiting for 9:54 n27 Roslyn Station bus at Greenvale, one female passenger called "Legislator Carrie Solages" and sent voice message, "Veolia sacks. We need MTA Back" in loud angry voice."

She sounded like a real tool!  You should've asked her how her and the other passengers would benefit from a skeleton system under the MTA?

I love people like this who want to be loud but don't understand what they're talking about...

When it was the MTA in charge MTA sucked, when Veolia is in charge Veolia sucks and tehy want the MTA back (but don't even comprehend MTA LIB was planning a mass elimination operating what they called a skeleton system).  Priceless.

I'm just saying pleace lets not turn this into (MTA) Vs. AxQJtQ6.jpg round 116...  Or into "if Nassau just paid their fair share.  Please, please, please!

Really? You're really gonna make this another (MTA) vs Veolia conversation. Understand that if Nassau isn't going to spend the money, you're not gonna get the (MTA) back. Also understand that Solages has no power over Mangano to completely change the system. For now, Veolia is doing more than the (MTA) did. You can't blame them if they're low on drivers and nobody applies. However, your precious LIBRU and their little campaigns find every little thing to bitch about.

Guest MTA Bus

I rode NICE yesterday and I rode nothing but 3G buses. I really like these buses. They sound good and they can haul some ass ! They also got the clever devices working. Even though they don't announce transfers yet, they are pretty effective.

Really? You're really gonna make this another (MTA) vs Veolia conversation. Understand that if Nassau isn't going to spend the money, you're not gonna get the (MTA) back. Also understand that Solages has no power over Mangano to completely change the system. For now, Veolia is doing more than the (MTA) did. You can't blame them if they're low on drivers and nobody applies. However, your precious LIBRU and their little campaigns find every little thing to bitch about.

NICE is doing a great job IMO, we all had our worries at first and some of us (even myself a bit) wouldn't mind the return of the good ol' MTA, but they really are doing great with the restorations/expansions and marketing. As long as they keep up the good work and the buses are clean, on time and accept my MetroCard, NICE gets my approval.

NICE is doing a great job IMO, we all had our worries at first and some of us (even myself a bit) wouldn't mind the return of the good ol' MTA, but they really are doing great with the restorations/expansions and marketing. As long as they keep up the good work and the buses are clean, on time and accept my MetroCard, NICE gets my approval.

They're only on time if they're not interlined/someone's first trip of the day.

Reliability is worse than with the MTA. Has Veolia done more with less? Yes they have. But it comes at the expense of quality. Sure Veolia can schedule more service than (MTA), but there's a bigger chance that bus will show up late or not at all. I've seen stuff with NICE I never saw with LIB. Like today, n20 nearly 10 minutes early at Greenvale, guy just left without even looking at the schedule. And since it's a Sunday, anyone who didn't arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled time would have to wait an hour for the next bus. And they are hardly cleaned, the floors are covered with garbage and cans rolling all over the place. Thursday I arrived at Hicksville LIRR 2:24pm for the 2:29pm n20, but it never showed or left early. Then later on the n35 the driver "didn't feel" like stopping at NCC by the Tower, and made a left instead of a right. Then another winner tonight on the n35, talking to someone on a phone and running a steady red light on Post Ave. Sure if one reads the website and all the news blurbs it sounds hunky dory. But as a regular rider I've seen service that is less reliable than with the MTA. Of course the real blame lies with Nassau County, if had been properly funding bus service, would've been part of a regional bus network with the MTA. Veolia isn't bad per say, but they are able to provide more service with lower budgets by cutting labor and maintanance costs and this affects reliability. And that's a fact. Many of these new drivers would be more fit driving a cab or dollar van. Seriously how hard is it to remember to check your schedule??? And you're right, the BRU is useless because they haven't addressed the real serious issues that affect the majority of riders and instead nitpick small stuff. If they were serious about organizing, they'd update their FB, have a YT channel, and reach out to the riders at major transfer points and colleges (RF,NCC). Instead they're just a small group of people ranting about stuff instead of trying to form a movement. Are riders better off with Veolia/NICE than with (MTA) under the given budget? Yes, most certainly. But, we'd have been truly better off had the County coughed up the reasonable amount of money the MTA wanted. We would've still had more service hours and better service quality. And don't say we don't have the money. If I were in Mangano's shoes I would've found the money. Certainly it's there among all the Range Rovers, X5s, and Escalade's I see daily.

Edited by PinePower

Within the past few months, they have added running time to routes such as the N22 and N24.  Running times now vary by time of day to reflect realistic traffic conditions, which has helped greatly to keep the buses on schedule.

Which brings up another point or idea. Much time is lost in schedules by traffic lights. Installing a system for the buses to give green lights for them would save running time. Which in turn reduces labor and fuel costs. I bet such a system would pay for itself fairly quickly. I've been timing the time spent at red lights on the n20, just between Hicksville and Greenvale and the average is 6-7 minutes. It could be as much as 15 or 20 for the whole trip. That's a significant amount of time that could be saved. It sure would be nice to see such a system implemented, but I think the county is too in love with motorists to do it.  :wub:

Tonight after leaving Community Board Meeting at Flushing early soon as last 10:30 n20 Hicksville left, last 11:00 n20 Roslyn #1833 left 29 minutes early, properly leaving the passengers stranded at Flushing-Main St. I had to show Cindy's old NICE Paddle Report to see Bus # because new bus operators aren't NICE.

Reliability is worse than with the MTA. Has Veolia done more with less? Yes they have. But it comes at the expense of quality. Sure Veolia can schedule more service than (MTA), but there's a bigger chance that bus will show up late or not at all. I've seen stuff with NICE I never saw with LIB. Like today, n20 nearly 10 minutes early at Greenvale, guy just left without even looking at the schedule. And since it's a Sunday, anyone who didn't arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled time would have to wait an hour for the next bus. And they are hardly cleaned, the floors are covered with garbage and cans rolling all over the place. Thursday I arrived at Hicksville LIRR 2:24pm for the 2:29pm n20, but it never showed or left early. Then later on the n35 the driver "didn't feel" like stopping at NCC by the Tower, and made a left instead of a right. Then another winner tonight on the n35, talking to someone on a phone and running a steady red light on Post Ave. Sure if one reads the website and all the news blurbs it sounds hunky dory. But as a regular rider I've seen service that is less reliable than with the MTA. Of course the real blame lies with Nassau County, if had been properly funding bus service, would've been part of a regional bus network with the MTA. Veolia isn't bad per say, but they are able to provide more service with lower budgets by cutting labor and maintanance costs and this affects reliability. And that's a fact. Many of these new drivers would be more fit driving a cab or dollar van. Seriously how hard is it to remember to check your schedule??? And you're right, the BRU is useless because they haven't addressed the real serious issues that affect the majority of riders and instead nitpick small stuff. If they were serious about organizing, they'd update their FB, have a YT channel, and reach out to the riders at major transfer points and colleges (RF,NCC). Instead they're just a small group of people ranting about stuff instead of trying to form a movement. Are riders better off with Veolia/NICE than with (MTA) under the given budget? Yes, most certainly. But, we'd have been truly better off had the County coughed up the reasonable amount of money the MTA wanted. We would've still had more service hours and better service quality. And don't say we don't have the money. If I were in Mangano's shoes I would've found the money. Certainly it's there among all the Range Rovers, X5s, and Escalade's I see daily.

Oh oh-wait til that Burrstone guy reads this. He's not gonna like what you said about NICE.

Oh oh-wait til that Burrstone guy reads this. He's not gonna like what you said about NICE.

Hound, I really don't care...

Comments like this must burn Hound like a vampire in the sun!