Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today, after taking 18:10 n27 Glen Cove bus to Greenvale, I made before at Greenvale at 18:59, then 18:40 n20 #1867 showed up behind 19:00 n20 Flushing #1850. #1867 was 18:40 n20 Flushing that was suppose to be at Greenvale, and our 19:00 n20 Flushing #1850 showed up 6 minutes late at 19:30. He arrived 3 minutes late at Flushing at 20:22, so did the #1867 which was suppose to arrived 20:02, 20 minutes behind.

There was student ambassdor at NICE/MTA Layover.

Because #1867 was so late, 20:10 n20 Hicksville #1867  was forced to do n20l Hicksville  at 20:30, while 20:30 n20 Hicksville #1850 was on time, making all stops. NICE riders refused to let wheelchair passenger first, even thought it's top prioity. So he had to go to next one behind him, which male driver on #1850 20:30 let the wheelchair passenger on.

So yesterday was a bad day for me and nice, I haven't been on a nice bus in months and I had to go to Roosevelt field, got to hillside ave and Francis Lewis at 2:10, the first and only n22 showed up at 3:30, one n24 showed up but it broke down. Next, well, simultaneously, from 2:30 to 3:10 there were no n6 buses, the line stretched from the corner to all the way passed the n22 stop. When the bus finally got there somehow I squeezed in and we didn't stop till new Hyde park, the look of pissed off people as we flew by them. Wow, the bus driver called his command center and the conversation lasted two seconds. I asked the driver what happened he shrugged his shoulder and said its normal for buses to be missing, he hasn't had a normal work day since joining nice. He claims and I don't know how valid the claim is but there are drivers at nice who go to the depot and stay there because of buses that are broken down and runs just go missing. Whatever happened yesterday though was a new low.

That is pretty bad, but stuff like that happened under the (MTA) sometimes too. Which is why I wanted the MTA to have city buses replace those runs but we all know how that went. I dont have the patience for that, I'd just take a city bus to Floral Park and get the LIRR to Hempstead if I had to go that way. Was it an Orion V that broke down on the n24? The delay could've been caused by an accident or flooding (there was some heavy rains yesterday). Often with the n22 I'll see two or three in a row.

Its not such a great photo since I was trying to drive while taking this photo behind me, but if you look closely, notice this driver had a book in his hands while driving the n20 to Flushing two days ago:

IMG_1425.JPG

Its not such a great photo since I was trying to drive while taking this photo behind me, but if you look closely, notice this driver had a book in his hands while driving the n20 to Flushing two days ago:

IMG_1425.JPG

Mr. I don't drive a Prius huh?

Just saying, I wouldn't have taken that pic. You could potentially get that guy in trouble, thankfully there's no more run boxes but they still might try to find out who he is.

Mr. I don't drive a Prius huh?

Just saying, I wouldn't have taken that pic. You could potentially get that guy in trouble, thankfully there's no more run boxes but they still might try to find out who he is.

It's a 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (not a damn Prius).

And is it a bad thing to get a driver in trouble who is supposed to be watching the road instead of reading a book? I don't think so. For all we know, if NICE sees this photo and terminates the driver, it may prevent an accident.

Edited by Brett

And is it a bad thing to get a driver in trouble who is supposed to be watching the road instead of reading a book? I don't think so. For all we know, if NICE sees this photo and terminates the driver, it may prevent an accident.

And piss off the driver and plenty of folks on this forum... just sayin.

Yeah, it'll sure get the driver in trouble when Brett doesn't even specify the time. [/sarcasm]

Btw, it's his own fault. He reads a book while driving so he's at fault and I don't see why you should keep that from NICE. If he was driving properly Brett wouldn't have taken that picture.

And piss off the driver and plenty of folks on this forum... just sayin.

The driver would only be pissed off because he was caught in the act. As for members of this forum, if you get pissed off at me for posting a picture of that, you have bigger problems.

Yeah, it'll sure get the driver in trouble when Brett doesn't even specify the time. [/sarcasm]

Btw, it's his own fault. He reads a book while driving so he's at fault and I don't see why you should keep that from NICE. If he was driving properly Brett wouldn't have taken that picture.

Time? Well, according to the EXIF data of the photo:

Date and Time (Original): 2013:06:11 14:56:38

In other words, 06/11/2013 at 2:56 pm

GPS Position: 40.794000 degrees N, 73.689500 degrees W

The driver would only be pissed off because he was caught in the act. As for members of this forum, if you get pissed off at me for posting a picture of that, you have bigger problems.

Time? Well, according to the EXIF data of the photo:

Date and Time (Original): 2013:06:11 14:56:38

In other words, 06/11/2013 at 2:56 pm

GPS Position: 40.794000 degrees N, 73.689500 degrees W

All I know is folks don't take too kindly to it, they call it "bus operator bashing" or whatever. A lot of my friends who are on here refuse to upload footage of/on board a bus if the op is speeding or something like that because they will get flamed for it, and potentially get the op in trouble. Putting what others on here think aside, it's just courtesy not to post pictures/videos that could potentially get an op in trouble, especially if there's a run number visible or exif data shows the date/time and GPS info. Just my 2 cents, obviously you're free to do whatever with your pics and I'm not saying you aren't.

All I know is folks don't take too kindly to it, they call it "bus operator bashing" or whatever. A lot of my friends who are on here refuse to upload footage of/on board a bus if the op is speeding or something like that because they will get flamed for it, and potentially get the op in trouble. Putting what others on here think aside, it's just courtesy not to post pictures/videos that could potentially get into trouble, especially if there's a run number visible or exif data shows the date/time and GPS info. Just my 2 cents, obviously you're free to do whatever with your pics and I'm not saying you aren't.

As a guy who's becoming a bus OP in the next few years, I'll be the last one to bash bus OP's. I just don't think they're some kind of holy priests. Bus OPs are humans too and humans aren't perfect. Of course you shouldn't point out every little thing they do wrong, it's quite a tough job already! But their are some things, like reading a book while driving for example, that are potentially dangerous and those are the kinds of mistakes that are on purpose and create dangerous situations. Maybe this run was going fine but what about the next run (even excluding the dangerous LI car drivers)? An accident because his full attention span was on the book instead of the road? Maybe this guy just didn't realize he was at a risk because he thought he was doing fine. You can learn from your mistakes, you know? But you can't learn from mistakes if no one points them out.

Edited by Vistausss

What type of a book was it?  A novel or could it have been directions?

All I know is folks don't take too kindly to it, they call it "bus operator bashing" or whatever. A lot of my friends who are on here refuse to upload footage of/on board a bus if the op is speeding or something like that because they will get flamed for it, and potentially get the op in trouble. Putting what others on here think aside, it's just courtesy not to post pictures/videos that could potentially get an op in trouble, especially if there's a run number visible or exif data shows the date/time and GPS info. Just my 2 cents, obviously you're free to do whatever with your pics and I'm not saying you aren't.

That's crazy if a bus op is doing something dangerous or against the rules, they should be reported.  You're not getting them in trouble if they didn't do the bad action in the first place they wouldn't need to worry being "ratted out."

It is crazy to foster an environment where people are forced to speak up against bad or dangerous behavior.  If they are doing something dangerous it needs to be addressed immediately, if they are doing something against the rules they aren't serving the customers/passengers in the way they are meant to.

I know exactly what you are talking about in the regular sections talking about (MTA) bus/nyc transit, the subways, and metro north/LIRR...  Someone points out what an employee did wrong and they bashed to hell.  This is because their a lot of "employees" in that section and I feel a lot of time they forget that the jobs were created to give passengers a ride and that the (MTA) was created to give them a ride and f uck you if you get in the way of them doing the job that was created for them.  And how dare you post anything negative that could get a union brother in trouble...  That's just union shit.

He could've been reading the NICE driver route book as he may not have known the route.

That is what I was wondering, as far I know it isn't illegal to read directions (I don't know about NICE policy).

Nope, he was switching between the New York Post and a novel. Both of which, I don't think the photo shows, that he had next to the driver side window.

Unbelievable.

Not that it matters but was the bus moving or standing in traffic?  These photos need to find their way to NICE's safety department ASAP!  The only who deserves any sort of shit over this is the driver bc he obviously doesn't value his job.  The ironic part is that when this guy is canned I'm sure he'll find his way to this forum and complain how awful NICE is.

Unbelievable.

Not that it matters but was the bus moving or standing in traffic?  These photos need to find their way to NICE's safety department ASAP!  The only who deserves any sort of shit over this is the driver bc he obviously doesn't value his job.  The ironic part is that when this guy is canned I'm sure he'll find his way to this forum and complain how awful NICE is.

It was like 5 mph slow moving traffic. And you know what the even better part is... the traffic backup was being caused by Orion V #1613 being broken down on a part of Northern Blvd that is only two lanes, causing one of the lanes to be closed. I got video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE0xVigf9lM

I saw 1622 being towed by all county towing on Monday in island park.Does nice even have tow trucks for their buses

They have a few, and if they don't have enough, they hire other private tow companies.

But isn't it illegal to try to drive and take a picture at the same time? Just sayin'  ;)

I know exactly what you are talking about in the regular sections talking about (MTA) bus/nyc transit, the subways, and metro north/LIRR...  Someone points out what an employee did wrong and they bashed to hell.  This is because their a lot of "employees" in that section and I feel a lot of time they forget that the jobs were created to give passengers a ride and that the (MTA) was created to give them a ride and f uck you if you get in the way of them doing the job that was created for them.  And how dare you post anything negative that could get a union brother in trouble...  That's just union shit.

Exactly. There was a time when I talked about how a bunch of trippers all bypassed a stop by my school, and some B/Os were all like "Oh, you don't know what we have to deal with. Maybe the dispatcher told all of them to skip the stop". Always automatically assuming that the B/O was in the right. Is it possible that (**gasp**) they didn't feel like doing their jobs? The whole point of the trippers is so the students have an easier time getting home, and if a tripper is completely empty while there are still students who need to get home, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Of course, the vast majority of drivers do their jobs well. If they're delayed or if they skip a stop, there's usually a good reason. But like any other job, there's always a few bad apples. 

In any case, there's some little violations that I can understand being flamed over. You want to be technical, buses (at least in NYC) aren't supposed to operate over 15 mph. (I don't know what the rule is for operation on highways, but whatever). Obviously, if all B/Os did that, buses would be delayed like crazy and it would take forever for passengers to get to their destination. Something like that isn't worth reporting. But if somebody's driving a bus and reading, well, that's a different story (though TBH, I could understand if he was stuck in traffic and he laid the paper out over the dashboard or something). 

In any case, there's some little violations that I can understand being flamed over. You want to be technical, buses (at least in NYC) aren't supposed to operate over 15 mph. (I don't know what the rule is for operation on highways, but whatever). Obviously, if all B/Os did that, buses would be delayed like crazy and it would take forever for passengers to get to their destination. Something like that isn't worth reporting. But if somebody's driving a bus and reading, well, that's a different story (though TBH, I could understand if he was stuck in traffic and he laid the paper out over the dashboard or something).

I've never heard about the 15mph rule before...

It was like 5 mph slow moving traffic. And you know what the even better part is... the traffic backup was being caused by Orion V #1613 being broken down on a part of Northern Blvd that is only two lanes, causing one of the lanes to be closed. I got video:

Only more hazardous, because as we all know, in a traffic jam like this a car will easily cut in front of you without warning...

Edited by Amtrak7

Brett were you driving at the time?

I will go out on a limb here (not condoning bad behavior by the bus driver, and not knowing if Brett was driving, just saying in general) I think it is more dangerous when you see an "average" driver out on the road doing something non driving related like taking a picture, reading, talking/texting on the phone, even playing with the radio/gps.  The reason is a professional driver has a lot more training, drives a lot more, and does the bad behavior at a time when they are at less of a risk (like at lights, slow traffic, never in a curve), while the average driver just takes a blind risk.

Oh shit Brett, just watched the video, you were driving  :( talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Alright yes, what I did was a bit unsafe by having one hand on the wheel and the other recording a video. But I had done it before and knew how to do it safely (for the most part). Two wrongs don't make a right, but that NICE driver had passengers in his bus that he was putting at risk by doing other things whereas I was the only one in my car.