Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen 1833 everyday this week on my drive home. And same female driver as well. She does the n20 LIMITED to Hicksville and then does the local trip back to Flushing (as I was in Bayside this evening, and saw her on the way back). My guess is, with the times I've seen her, is that she does the 4:45pm LIMITED trip to Hicksville and then does the 6:10pm local trip back to Flushing. Here's when I saw 1833 today in Great Neck:

IMG_1507a.jpg

IMHO they should have express buses to the coliseum from a LIRR station, run it for every event at the coliseum and advertise the hell out of it, maybe even get a campaign going with the coliseum, put it in their website and directions page.  I've had quite a few people living in the city (especially people who move to the city from other areas of the Country and the World) are totally clueless on how to get to the city to the coliseum.  Many think its not possible without a car or paying fir a cab at the LIRR station.  I tell them about the buses (both in NICE and LIB days) and moost people are afraid of getting lost missing part of the show, and don't know if the buses are ruining when the event is over.  Most wouldn't knew where to begin to go to a bus strop when the event is over, and many don't want to attempt it if they know they'll be drinking.  They just pay the blood sucking cabbies to bring them back to the LIRR or whatever town they live in if they live on the island.

I think dedicated bus service from a LIRR station to the coliseum would be a big hit (obviously tailor service to the size of the event).

Yeah, I don't see why they wouldn't. Every year there's Pinkpop, also a gigantic festival, here in The Netherlands and there are special buses running between the railway station and the event. And before any of you start critizing me for going a tad off-topic, guess who runs those special buses? Veolia. Because the event is in the county where Veolia runs all commuter service.

You'd think they'd do that overseas too since it's techniacally both Veolia...

In Nassau County everything always comes down to "who will pay for it?"  I think such a service would be profitable for NICE and the Coliseum and both should split the costs and benefits.

IF The Nassau Coliseum is ever rebuilt I feel the developers and owners of the coliseum should work with the Nassau County and Veolia or the MTA to build light rail from a local LIRR station to the Nassau coliseum.  This is a must, with the new arena in Brooklyn promoters of events have a choice, and with the Garden and Barlay's Center so close and so accessible to public transportation the Coliseum will face a slow death as promoters chose the arenas with easy access for its customers.  The coliseum needs to find a way to easily connect to public transportation but the Land Rover group Pine Power speaks of would never vote to approve something like light rail to the coliseum because they are stuck in a world where they feel everyone should be driving to everything and if someone can't afford to, well, eff them!  I hope those people enjoy driving to the train station and packing on a train to Brooklyn or Penn  in 10 years anytime they want to see a concert or sporting event.

IMHO they should have express buses to the coliseum from a LIRR station, run it for every event at the coliseum and advertise the hell out of it, maybe even get a campaign going with the coliseum, put it in their website and directions page.  I've had quite a few people living in the city (especially people who move to the city from other areas of the Country and the World) are totally clueless on how to get to the city to the coliseum.  Many think its not possible without a car or paying fir a cab at the LIRR station.  I tell them about the buses (both in NICE and LIB days) and moost people are afraid of getting lost missing part of the show, and don't know if the buses are ruining when the event is over.  Most wouldn't knew where to begin to go to a bus strop when the event is over, and many don't want to attempt it if they know they'll be drinking.  They just pay the blood sucking cabbies to bring them back to the LIRR or whatever town they live in if they live on the island.

I think dedicated bus service from a LIRR station to the coliseum would be a big hit (obviously tailor service to the size of the event).

Absolutely. NJ Transit runs express bus/train (depending on the size of the event) service from Secaucus Junction to EVERY event at the Meadowlands, including at the Izod Center which like the Coliseum is a smaller building with no major teams, and it's a big hit. If NICE did that they could really help boost the crowds at the Coliseum events.

Today on my way to Coles Brother Circus Protest at Sunrise Mall, 15:25 n20 Hicksville show up and departed outside 20 minutes window at 15:44 and we didn't get to Glen Cove Rd until 16:39pm and former n21 riders missed 16:27 n27 Glen Cove connection and forced to wait an hour.

Rest of us and we got to Hicksville Station at 17:12, suppose to be there at 16:42. While I was on the bus, 15:45 n20 Roslyn had engine cover open and somebody, properly one car that was behind when out of his car and closed the engine cover.

Edited by FamousNYLover

If the average Long Islander already drives there (or asks a douchebag friend - this IS the Warped Tour, after all) what use would a bus be?

Who's to say that people more accustomed to transit (say from NYC) wouldn't utilize NICE to access the Coliseum?

And a poor stab at the Vans Warped Tour I must add.

If the average Long Islander already drives there (or asks a douchebag friend - this IS the Warped Tour, after all) what use would a bus be?

So you've interviewed everyone in the world and came to the conclusion that the Warped Tour is only visited by Long Islanders?

Well I just found out that my house is actually in West Hempstead and is smack in between the N15 and the N31/32.

Anyone have any experience on these three routes (headways, ride)?

And would it be quicker getting to Jamaica by going up to Hempstead for the N6/N6x or going to Rockville Ctr (via N15) or Lynbrook (via N31/32) for the N4?

In West Hempstead? Then you could opt for the LIRR's West Hempstead branch. On weekdays that is.

As far as NICE goes: I'm obviously not experienced enough but from the looks of it the n6 at Hempstead would be the quickest. The n6x is quicker but it depends on where you need to be in Jamaica because the n6x goes to Jamaica 179th St (E)(F).

The N15 is pretty much every 15 minutes on weekdays, 15-20 minutes on the weekends. N31/32 is about every 15-20 minutes on weekdays, the same pretty much on the weekends.

The quicker way to Jamaica would be the n6 or the n6x, but it is packed and if you're going on a weekday, you may have to wait a few buses before there's room or push to get on. I don't if you're talking about walking to Hempstead Transit Center or not or taking another bus there to transfer to the n6, but the earlier in the run to Jamaica that you board (the closer to Hempstead), the less packed the bus is gonna be. Every n6 stop just keeps packing people on there. I don't know if you're planning to take NICE to school everyday, but during rush hour, you're going to want to leave time for travel because that's crazy time for the n6.

I'm not taking NICE to school everyday, but I will be using it a lot this summer. I'll be taking the bus (which ever of the three) to the Transit Center so I'll be at the first stop. Thanks!

So you've interviewed everyone in the world and came to the conclusion that the Warped Tour is only visited by Long Islanders?

My point being, no one would take a bus out here.  Please, stop getting excited whenever someone says that the bus isn't viable.  I know you're giving me negative rep for this.

Edited by Joel Up Front

I'll stop getting excited about that if you stop predicting what I would or wouldn't do.

(FYI I didn't give your previous post negative rep and I don't see why I would do that to this one)

Edited by Vistausss

Well I just found out that my house is actually in West Hempstead and is smack in between the N15 and the N31/32.

Anyone have any experience on these three routes (headways, ride)?

And would it be quicker getting to Jamaica by going up to Hempstead for the N6/N6x or going to Rockville Ctr (via N15) or Lynbrook (via N31/32) for the N4?

The n32 is a more of a smooth ride there, never had any problems with it, at max its 10-15 minutes to HTC.

I went to the house today, and I observed the n32 and the n15... the n32 was late for the most part but the n15 was pretty reliable, showing up on time. The n15 was even crushed on two of the runs (Roosevelt Field bound around 7pm), so I'm sure that's the one I'll be taking.

Thanks for the answers guys!