Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if NICE is actively enforcing the rule or just protecting itself (i.e. if you turn right on red and an accident occurs you're liable)

Perhaps they put those signs up on the buses expecting people to call in to report the op for making a right on red? Of course, that's not gonna happen, specially in Nassau.

I wonder if NICE is actively enforcing the rule or just protecting itself (i.e. if you turn right on red and an accident occurs you're liable)

Perhaps they put those signs up on the buses expecting people to call in to report the op for making a right on red? Of course, that's not gonna happen, specially in Nassau.

Tom Meadow's images of 1645 (finally):

gallery_12117_2_277376.png

gallery_12117_2_747732.png

I'm gonna look for better quality ones if I can. Also, consider 1645 retired.

Yeah, It's still sitting in the back of the depot.

Edited by Ty24

I was following 1682 heading into Great Neck coming home tonight. The bus struggled to get up that hill right after the n25 makes its turn. You could hear it in the engine, as if it was struggling to gain power. Not sure if the a/c was on or not inside the bus.

We all know the Orion V's cant take the heat & humidity well, the a/c was probably on as well. 

In some ways the Orion V Oranges run worse than the Greens. It's always been that way actually, a driver I knew who retired said those Oranges have "Granny Gears". And yeah the engine goes down to really low RPM's when stopping, sometimes they stall too, happened to me with 1653 a couple of weeks ago, came to a stop sign RPM dropped so low it shut off. Fortunately it started back up again. It has to do with the transmission settings I think. 

In some ways the Orion V Oranges run worse than the Greens. It's always been that way actually, a driver I knew who retired said those Oranges have "Granny Gears". And yeah the engine goes down to really low RPM's when stopping, sometimes they stall too, happened to me with 1653 a couple of weeks ago, came to a stop sign RPM dropped so low it shut off. Fortunately it started back up again. It has to do with the transmission settings I think. 

Referring to the Orion V's by headsign color? That's a new one.

Anyway, there are differences between the 2000 models and the 2004 models. The collaboration of the transmission plays part as you mentioned, but the main difference is the two models use two different variants of the same engine. The 2000 Orion V's are equipped with the standard Detroit Diesel Series 50 G, while the 2004 Orion V's are equipped with the Detroit Diesel Series 50 MK-G.

The DD50 MK-G was built to later emission standards, and as a result the speed between gear selections and general acceleration was compromised.

On the other hand many busfans (myself included) prefer the MK-G as they pick up speed extremely well, not to mention the deep bass of the engine.

I did kind of an experiment yesterday and today...

I took the N4 and N6x leaving Jamaica around the same time... (N6x from 165-HTC) and (N4 from Parsons-Archer to RVC Park Ave/Merrick Rd)...

I took the 6:50pm N4 and the 6:38pm N6x. Got to HTC at 7:24 and got to RVC at 7:25 (both operators were moving VERY NICEly too)

It is interesting that the N4 is faster even though the N6x is an "express". I can't wait for the N4x. I wanna see how much time I saved!

Rode Orion V CNGs on both too (1626 on N4 and 1660 on N6)

I did kind of an experiment yesterday and today...

I took the N4 and N6x leaving Jamaica around the same time... (N6x from 165-HTC) and (N4 from Parsons-Archer to RVC Park Ave/Merrick Rd)...

I took the 6:50pm N4 and the 6:38pm N6x. Got to HTC at 7:24 and got to RVC at 7:25 (both operators were moving VERY NICEly too)

It is interesting that the N4 is faster even though the N6x is an "express". I can't wait for the N4x. I wanna see how much time I saved!

Rode Orion V CNGs on both too (1626 on N4 and 1660 on N6)

Keep In Mind that the N6 is heavily congested and boards most of it's passengers at the first stop. The N6 has to stop at 169th and 179th street. Also Merrick Road has better traffic flow. The N4x should be really fast.

Keep In Mind that the N6 is heavily congested and boards most of it's passengers at the first stop. The N6 has to stop at 169th and 179th street. Also Merrick Road has better traffic flow. The N4x should be really fast.

I meant to say that the N4 gets most of its passengers at the first stop. The N6 gets passengers at the Terminal, and two subway stations. 

The N4 gets most riders from transfer points (namely Grand Avenue, Park Avenue in RVC, Hempstead Avenue, Rockaway Parkway, and the City Line).

When I rode it to RVC, A LOT of people got off at Central Ave for the n1, RVC (Park Av) with me, and Lynbrook/5 Corners.

I don't think the n4x will have as much controversy as the n6x did.

Edited by Astoria Line

When I rode it to RVC, A LOT of people got off at Central Ave for the n1, RVC (Park Av) with me, and Lynbrook/5 Corners.

I don't think the n4x will have as much controversy as the n6x did.

I used to take the n4 to work, The main stops are basically the proposed n4x stops, in addition to Central Ave, and to a lesser extent, Horton Ave which always seems to get passenger exchange.

Today, I help male b/o who pushes another male B/O for car relief at Wantagh Station where I boarded 12:20 n87 Jones Beach at Hicksville Station.

I made little mistake w/ directions in Jones Beach and Wantagh Parkway North exit.

On 1:20pm trip I made mistake and sent him to Exit 5 by mistake, but we were still able to get back on Wantagh Av. Only 2 of us were on bus.

After Hicksville Station, I help with n87 layover terminus back to n87 bus stop. On 14:20 trip, only 3 people were on n87 and I got off at Park Av for quick public library internet use.

Tonight at 21:30, I boarded 20:54 n22 Jamaica #1775 at Roosevelt Field Mall and at Jericho Turnpike, male driver didn't know HOW TO GET TO HILLSIDE AV from Jericho Turnpike and bus operator made U-turn in McDonald parking lot, then went on entrance only driveway to get back to Willis Av after two passengers helped him get back to Willis Av.

Chinese passenger were confused when this driver made mistake but he made it.

Today, I help male b/o who pushes another male B/O for car relief at Wantagh Station where I boarded 12:20 n87 Jones Beach at Hicksville Station.

I made little mistake w/ directions in Jones Beach and Wantagh Parkway North exit.

On 1:20pm trip I made mistake and sent him to Exit 5 by mistake, but we were still able to get back on Wantagh Av. Only 2 of us were on bus.

After Hicksville Station, I help with n87 layover terminus back to n87 bus stop. On 14:20 trip, only 3 people were on n87 and I got off at Park Av for quick public library internet use.

Tonight at 21:30, I boarded 20:54 n22 Jamaica #1775 at Roosevelt Field Mall and at Jericho Turnpike, male driver didn't know HOW TO GET TO HILLSIDE AV from Jericho Turnpike and bus operator made U-turn in McDonald parking lot, then went on entrance only driveway to get back to Willis Av after two passengers helped him get back to Willis Av.

Chinese passenger were confused when this driver made mistake but he made it.

Professionally trained NICE Bus drivers at their best.

How come train drivers does not know? I thought n22 was easy route.

I remember I took n22a first time during Able-Ride public hearing, male B/O pull over near Tsui Foundation Temple thing at Roslyn Rd to comfirm how to get to/from RFM from area by cell phone.

I know other companies that also have trained drivers who do or dit not know the route. Of course, NICE should work on it but they're not the only one; happens with other companies too.