Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

I haven't seen or had any breakdowns in awhile so I'm not sure I believe the heresay from that individual, and I ride NICE practically daily. On the other hand I've been hearing about and seeing way more breakdowns in Suffolk. The main buses that have had trouble (and always have) are the Orion V's which don't like summer period. But even there I haven't had much trouble with them, other than a very slow one quite a few weeks ago that stalled in Bellmore, but did start right back up again.

Funny thing how things are reversed in Suffolk, from what I have been told (and heard over the radio) is alot of their Orion VII's are breaking down, at least at Suffolk Bus. And when I rode a city bus in Queens last week, the farebox was having problems reading people's Metrocards, so that problem isn't confined to NICE either. Aging fare collection equipment plus buses with lots of mileage are gonna have problems. I'm surprised NICE is able to have as many of the Orion V Greens on the road as they have, with over 13 years in service plus lots of mileage on 'em I have to say they must be doing something right keeping them running.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because it's good in your home country doesn't mean it's good here.  And it hasn't been for decades.

Either you're drunk or you just didn't want to understand what I was saying. It doesn't have anything to do with a country, I was just talking about how you should be careful with believing something an individual (doesn't matter what his position is) says. I never said NICE was good, at least not in the post you quoted. Luckily PinePower also thinks the same way given his first sentence in the post above.

(also, I said my TOWN, not country, the rest of my country it depends on where you are if you have good service or not)

Edited by Vistausss

Look guys whether that rumor is true or not NICE inherited crap equipment that hadn't been maintained properly (the proof to that is how many buses failed a basic DOT inspection before the takeover).  What is NICE supposed to do?  Break the budget on rehabbing crappy V's?  At least NICE is sinking money into the biggest service expansions Long Island has seen in years and not on equipment that will be gone soon...  These buses crapping out is my squeezing every drop of shampoo out of the bottle before you throw it out analogy.

If these V's are sitting in MF, is anyone sure they are not the next ones up for the next scrap auction?  NICE did just get how many new buses, maybe they have been replaced?  

Edited by Burrstone

New buses breaking down or not, it's ridiculous to blame it all on NICE. For one thing, that also happened under LIB (see Burrstone's post) and even if we're only focussing on NICE here, then I'd say: let Mangano stand up for it. Nassau County owns the buses IIRC but even if they don't, they're still partly responsible for this.

Whats going on with the new buses?  

For what it's worth I see many V's on the n4 and n19 (which interlines with the n4) and hardly ever see any new buses on the n19 or n4...  Perhaps it's just a coincidence or was think maybe NICE doesn't want new buses going into the n4 going into Queens?  Does anyone see them on other lines that go into Jamaica like the n6?  Does RVC have many new buses?  Maybe I'm seeing this bc RVC doesn't have many new buses and they cover  lot of the n19 and n4?

Yeah I don't know the validity of the claim but most of the buses that I saw at jamaica were 1860 and up, my bus was a newer one and it failed me. Went the rest of the way with an Orion V.

Oops, just saw this, contradicts my idea that they don't want new buses in Queens...  I wonder why they won't put many on the n19 and n4?

Edited by Burrstone

That's a discussion that still has never gotten a definite answer, and we may never get one. Supposedly, yes, Nassau owns all the buses and Veolia just operates them, but there is also word that the (MTA) owns some and rents them to the county. But that's a discussion for another day.

Well, it doesn't really matter who owns them, fact is: NICE isn't the only owner so the other owners are also responsible for the buses.

Are we really going to get into this again?  lol  Nassau County owns the buses as said on the buses, those are legal markings otherwise it would only say "Operated by Veolia.."  In fact, since Veolia doesn't own any of the buses tehy are only required to put "operated by " on the bus but this was probably done to stroke Nassau County's ego, the same way Mangano managed to get his name on the buses.  

Veolia has stated that Nassau OWNS all the buses, would there really be a reason to lie or omit the truth?  

Even if the (MTA) "owned" the buses on paper they were bought with grants that were intended to have the buses serve Nassau County.  So (MTA) would never be entitled to the buses because 80% of the money came from grants and funding from the State and federal government.  Maybe NICE made an arraignment to pay MTA back the 20% they layed out for the buses?   Who knows!

NICE has an agreement to lease the fare boxes from the (MTA) .  

Majority of the newer buses did go to Mitchel Field. Rockville Centre does have a lot of Orion Vs and a few newer NGs and 3Gs, just not as many as Mitchel Field. You will see more Vs come out of Rockville Centre and hence, on the n19 and n4 which are RVC routes. Some of the time though, because of some interlining (and there probably is bus trading), you will see the occasional Mitchel Field bus pop up on one of those routes.

That makes sense, but the n19 and n4 are both RVV and MF routes, unless they changed this since the LIB days.  

In fact, since Veolia doesn't own any of the buses tehy are only required to put "operated by " on the bus but this was probably done to stroke Nassau County's ego, the same way Mangano managed to get his name on the buses. 

That sounds legit to me because I've yet to see that happen elsewhere. Either Veolia operates under its own name and therefore wraps the buses in their own Veolia wrap or they operate under another name and wrap it in that wrap without any mention on the wrap of 'operated by'. (mother of wrap!)

Here in the states it's different, the operations Veolia does OWN and OPERATE have their own brands like SuperShuttlle, NYCAirporter, and GoldenTouch are an example.  They do business as whatever brand (as far the customer sees) but somewhere o the vehicle it will say "operated by Veolia" somewhere on the vehicle.

I never mentioned NICE, because I know it all's because of the $$$ that the county gives the system. I've been stressing that over and over on here for years. But I know under Long Island Bus, when the 1800s (NGs) were coming in, that the (MTA) had them running smoothly and sounding great. I do not believe I ever saw a broken down 1800 until the system became the Nassau Inter-County Express.

That's a discussion that still has never gotten a definite answer, and we may never get one. Supposedly, yes, Nassau owns all the buses and Veolia just operates them, but there is also word that the (MTA) owns some and rents them to the county. But that's a discussion for another day.

Maybe some NICE drivers on here could shed some light on the issue. I'm not gonna go making assumptions or try to predict the problems, because I have no idea.

Majority of the newer buses did go to Mitchel Field. Rockville Centre does have a lot of Orion Vs and a few newer NGs and 3Gs, just not as many as Mitchel Field. You will see more Vs come out of Rockville Centre and hence, on the n19 and n4 which are RVC routes. Some of the time though, because of some interlining (and there probably is bus trading), you will see the occasional Mitchel Field bus pop up on one of those routes.

They're not buying parts. Just cannibalizing the o/s buses sitting in the backyard. Was told by a dispatcher that they don't even have headlights in stock.

Here in the states it's different, the operations Veolia does OWN and OPERATE have their own brands like SuperShuttlle, NYCAirporter, and GoldenTouch are an example.  They do business as whatever brand (as far the customer sees) but somewhere o the vehicle it will say "operated by Veolia" somewhere on the vehicle.

I know what you're talking about, that also happens a lot here, Veolia is an exception to that.

Is this the same guy?  Is he really wearing a NICE shirt?  How hard is it to change a shirt?  Totally disrespectful to big tour taxi to wear another operators shirt while he is being paid for them. If NICE found out  I wonder what they would think of this, wearing wearing their brand while working for a company for the public to see.....A BIG "no no" for a lot of companies!  ...Not to mention the total disrespect he is showing to both companies for being too lazy to swap his shirt.

A concern I have is safety, how many hours is this guy working between the two (And it's obviously not on his days off if he's wearing a NICE shirt) how much time is spent commuting as he obviously goes from job to job if he's wearing the same shirt, he's so busy he can't even take 30 seconds to change his shit!?!  

Safety is big concern with the public especially and wearing a NICE shirt tarnishes NICE's image.

Is this the same guy?  Is he really wearing a NICE shirt?  How hard is it to change a shirt?  Totally disrespectful to big tour taxi to wear another operators shirt while he is being paid for them. If NICE found out  I wonder what they would think of this, wearing wearing their brand while working for a company for the public to see.....A BIG "no no" for a lot of companies!  ...Not to mention the total disrespect he is showing to both companies for being too lazy to swap his shirt.

A concern I have is safety, how many hours is this guy working between the two (And it's obviously not on his days off if he's wearing a NICE shirt) how much time is spent commuting as he obviously goes from job to job if he's wearing the same shirt, he's so busy he can't even take 30 seconds to change his shit!?!  

Safety is big concern with the public especially and wearing a NICE shirt tarnishes NICE's image.

It's already tarnished.

Here in the states it's different, the operations Veolia does OWN and OPERATE have their own brands like SuperShuttlle, NYCAirporter, and GoldenTouch are an example. They do business as whatever brand (as far the customer sees) but somewhere o the vehicle it will say "operated by Veolia" somewhere on the vehicle.

Weird how in those situations, the brand and vehicles are owned by Veolia but operated by independent contractors via franchises. Last I heard Academy or some other business unit under the Tedescos was the prime if not exclusive contractor/franchisee for Airporter and Golden Touch, SuperShuttle is run mostly by individuals who have purchased franchises similar to NYC Taxi medallions.

Is this the same guy? Is he really wearing a NICE shirt? How hard is it to change a shirt? Totally disrespectful to big tour taxi to wear another operators shirt while he is being paid for them. If NICE found out I wonder what they would think of this, wearing wearing their brand while working for a company for the public to see.....A BIG "no no" for a lot of companies! ...Not to mention the total disrespect he is showing to both companies for being too lazy to swap his shirt.

Don't think Big Taxi has driver uniforms, I usually see their guys driving in plain clothes. I thought at first they might have been another Veolia outfit.

Weird how in those situations, the brand and vehicles are owned by Veolia but operated by independent contractors via franchises. Last I heard Academy or some other business unit under the Tedescos was the prime if not exclusive contractor/franchisee for Airporter and Golden Touch, SuperShuttle is run mostly by individuals who have purchased franchises similar to NYC Taxi medallions.

Don't think Big Taxi has driver uniforms, I usually see their guys driving in plain clothes. I thought at first they might have been another Veolia outfit.

When I took Big Taxi Tour on my X-mas gift from firehouse, it only had Downtown Loop which I took around New Years Day few years ago. My Big Taxi Tour driver had regular clothes on it. (It was before Veolia takeover of LIB) and Big Taxi Tour still had picture of checker taxi with yellow like taxicab.

Is it true that you can get a 3way transfer if you do subway -> N6 -> another NICE bus or vice versa?

someone mentioned this to me before but I wasn't sure if it was true and I've never tried it.

I've heard of it, but I'll let a local confirm.

i was on the n22 some fat guy passed out in the back of the bus then he was talking to him self when we got to roosevelt field funny as hell.Bus number 1742

Someone's Friday began early.

Someone's Friday began early.

Sorry.  lmao j/k wasn't me.  :D

Is it true that you can get a 3way transfer if you do subway -> N6 -> another NICE bus or vice versa?

someone mentioned this to me before but I wasn't sure if it was true and I've never tried it.

I don't know specifically on the n6 because I've only ridden it a handful of times...  but I take the n19<->n4<->subway often, pay only $2.50, get the free transfer onto the n4, and a free transfer onto the subway so I assume it's the same on the n6.  Keep in mind you have to have a metrocard to transfer to the subway as you can't use paper transfers to transfer into the subway.

However, this does not work in reverse.  I swipe my metrocard in the subway in the city, free transfer onto the n4, then get charged on the n4.  In the morning I get the n19 to Freeport lirr and get a free transfer into the subway at Penn.  However, if I swipe my card at the subway in the city, take the lirr to Freeport I don't get a free transfer when I get the n19, the full fare gets deducted from my mertocard.

I asked a few B/O's and was told it's a glitch in the system and others tell me it's because I only have 2 hours to make a transfer.  I know that's not true because I have had scenario's where the I'd get in the subway, train would come in a couple of minutes, then run on the train at Penn right before it left,  10 min subway ride, 45 minute LIRR ride...  so with waiting for the  (1) train and transferring at Penn we're talking maybe an hour total nowhere near the 2 hour time limit.

Sorry.  lmao j/k wasn't me.  :D

I don't know specifically on the n6 because I've only ridden it a handful of times...  but I take the n19<->n4<->subway often, pay only $2.50, get the free transfer onto the n4, and a free transfer onto the subway so I assume it's the same on the n6.  Keep in mind you have to have a metrocard to transfer to the subway as you can't use paper transfers to transfer into the subway.

However, this does not work in reverse.  I swipe my metrocard in the subway in the city, free transfer onto the n4, then get charged on the n4.  In the morning I get the n19 to Freeport lirr and get a free transfer into the subway at Penn.  However, if I swipe my card at the subway in the city, take the lirr to Freeport I don't get a free transfer when I get the n19, the full fare gets deducted from my mertocard.

I asked a few B/O's and was told it's a glitch in the system and others tell me it's because I only have 2 hours to make a transfer.  I know that's not true because I have had scenario's where the I'd get in the subway, train would come in a couple of minutes, then run on the train at Penn right before it left,  10 min subway ride, 45 minute LIRR ride...  so with waiting for the  (1) train and transferring at Penn we're talking maybe an hour total nowhere near the 2 hour time limit.

Thank you! I have the option of taking the n4 as well, no one before had told me about the n4 though. I'll try it with n15 -> n6 -> subway and n15 -> n4 -> subway and update you. 

I've heard about 2 hour limit too, I don't think its that, I think it may be a glitch.