Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

So apparently drivers on the 3rd Gens can in fact keep the new Clever Device (which is coming to the rest of the fleet) off by logging in with the MTA farebox instead. I didn't think they could since I never saw a sign controller and never saw them off until just last week.

Not good, with the new GPS coming in the drivers are gonna have to log in with the Clever Device in order for the bus to show online. I hope when the GPS is all set up the dispatchers can still see the bus on their end and determine whether or not a bus has signed in with the CDs (even if they didn't) and if necessary call the driver to log in. If they still don't sign in when the GPS is all set up just to avoid the damn announcements BusTime is gonna be a miserable failure.

Its just like with the HVAC. It's supposed to always be on but many just keep it off, letting the bus fill with the stagnant air carrying all the germs ppl exhale and the odors of the trash on the floor. They really need to get a handle on quality control, but at the same time, they're so short on drivers they're afraid to discipline any.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its just like with the HVAC. It's supposed to always be on but many just keep it off, letting the bus fill with the stagnant air carrying all the germs ppl exhale and the odors of the trash on the floor. They really need to get a handle on quality control, but at the same time, they're so short on drivers they're afraid to discipline any.

Take it upon yourself to open the roof vents, so that at the very least some air is entering.

Edited by Turbo19

Take it upon yourself to open the roof vents, so that at the very least some air is entering.

The passengers would yell at me though. Or just close it. Many don't seem to want fresh air. I'd open the window on cooler summer days when the air is off and the pax would ask me to close the window, even if the bus was stifling inside. I don't get it either...  :unsure:

The passengers would yell at me though. Or just close it. Many don't seem to want fresh air. I'd open the window on cooler summer days when the air is off and the pax would ask me to close the window, even if the bus was stifling inside. I don't get it either...  :unsure:

Screw them, I'd pay no mind. lol

At least be grateful that you have the option to open the windows on US buses. Most European buses don t have windows you can open...

One pet peeve I have about the ceiling vents is how people don't want to read and they try to open the latch instead of just pushing up on the vent.

That's interesting, if it's hot on a bus or there needs to be some air, I open a window or open the roof vent, and people either just look, or say thank you.

lol, you just have to be careful, some don't know any better. I've seen fights on the bus.(not over the windows though)

Nassau County is not New York City, hence you will probably never see bus lanes or a BRT system in place on Long Island. You're better off pushing for a bus priority lighting system from the county because that's the most feasible idea. Not enough people take the bus system in the county and not enough residents respect it enough to give it it's own lane on some major roads. The traffic patterns just wouldn't work.

As far the n20, you're never going to get bus lanes on Northern Blvd, whether in the city on the Q12 or in Nassau County. People would fight that to the end. I know, I'm on Northern Blvd daily.

I heard today from a reliable NYCT source that there a plans on paper for a complete redesign of the Merrick blvd corridor complete with dedicated BRT service lanes. No idea on timeframe if any. But it's on paper...

Edited by LI Operator

I open 'em, people sometimes give me a dirty look but if i'm hot and your cold you can put on carry a hoodie or jacket, I'm not sweating because your chilly.  Some people run hotter and colder than others, if you run cold bring something to put on, don't expect us to sweet.

lol, you just have to be careful, some don't know any better. I've seen fights on the bus.(not over the windows though)

@Turbo19 No offense and not trying to start so don't blow up over a comment, but it's easier said than done when you're not used to the local clientele on these buses.  Most of these people are f**king crazy, not even kidding.

But whenever anyone says anything to me (unless I know them) the response is "Yea, okay" as I look the other way.  Translation: I don't give a shit...  lol

I open 'em, people sometimes give me a dirty look but if i'm hot and your cold you can put on carry a hoodie or jacket, I'm not sweating because your chilly.  Some people run hotter and colder than others, if you run cold bring something to put on, don't expect us to sweet.

@Turbo19 No offense and not trying to start so don't blow up over a comment, but it's easier said than done when you're not used to the local clientele on these buses.  Most of these people are f**king crazy, not even kidding.

But whenever anyone says anything to me (unless I know them) the response is "Yea, okay" as I look the other way.  Translation: I don't give a shit...  lol

Yeah I'm abit skittish about messing with some of these people. :wacko:  We're talking gangbanger types. They used to just sit in the back and I'd sit in the front but they sit in the front now too. Can't reach the windows in the front of the VII's anyway.  :P

Fair enough, I think the stories shared here support that, so no need to call you out for it.

Yeah I'm abit skittish about messing with some of these people. :wacko:  We're talking gangbanger types. They used to just sit in the back and I'd sit in the front but they sit in the front now too. Can't reach the windows in the front of the VII's anyway.  :P

Haha, seeing all that MS13 tags in suburban buses makes me wonder if these guys are actually wannabes, but I wouldn't care to find out myself truthfully. As always, watch your six.

I heard today from a reliable NYCT source that there a plans on paper for a complete redesign of the Merrick blvd corridor complete with dedicated BRT service lanes. No idea on timeframe if any. But it's on paper...

Sound's Interesting, I can't imagine what a "complete redesign" would entail. Does that just mean redesigning the road and adding BRT? or will this affect the other Merrick Blvd routes?

Fair enough, I think the stories shared here support that, so no need to call you out for it.

Haha, seeing all that MS13 tags in suburban buses makes me wonder if these guys are actually wannabes, but I wouldn't care to find out myself truthfully. As always, watch your six.

I saw on the News that MS13 is growing, its in Westbury and other areas. There was an incident on Old Country Road or something, and some gang members had an altercation or something and someone got shot, ill try to look it up..

Well, I found these instead:

http://longisland.news12.com/news/ms-13-gang-member-carlos-ortega-of-brentwood-gets-life-in-prison-plus-60-years-for-2-murders-1.6477681

http://longisland.news12.com/news/murder-trial-begins-for-adalberto-guzman-reputed-ms-13-member-accused-of-killing-mother-and-child-1.5916109

http://longisland.news12.com/news/ms-13-gang-member-herberto-martinez-sentenced-to-life-for-murder-of-vanessa-argueta-son-1.6569611

I don't have the mobile link.

If there are Gangsters riding the bus I've watched enough rap videos to know they are doing something wrong...  LMAO  But seriously, fake thugs carry real guns, so...

LOL. But yeah wannabes can be even worse, because they're trying hard to be hard.

Edited by N6 Limited

You can scratch that idea already. People would oppose to those BRT service lanes, like Brett said so it ain't gonna happen.

Anyone thinks the n6x should be renamed to something else (like n66, or something).

The reason is that the route itself is now different than the n6 (and the midday trips operate between Hempstead and NCC, not on the n6 Local route at all besides HTC, so why should it be called the n6x?)

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Sound's Interesting, I can't imagine what a "complete redesign" would entail. Does that just mean redesigning the road and adding BRT? or will this affect the other Merrick Blvd routes?

I saw on the News that MS13 is growing, its in Westbury and other areas. There was an incident on Old Country Road or something, and some gang members had an altercation or something and someone got shot, ill try to look it up..

Well, I found these instead:

http://longisland.news12.com/news/ms-13-gang-member-carlos-ortega-of-brentwood-gets-life-in-prison-plus-60-years-for-2-murders-1.6477681

http://longisland.news12.com/news/murder-trial-begins-for-adalberto-guzman-reputed-ms-13-member-accused-of-killing-mother-and-child-1.5916109

http://longisland.news12.com/news/ms-13-gang-member-herberto-martinez-sentenced-to-life-for-murder-of-vanessa-argueta-son-1.6569611

I don't have the mobile link.

LOL. But yeah wannabes can be even worse, because they're trying hard to be hard.

It's becoming a problem all over the island thanks to the lack of any enforcement to remove illegals. The New Cassel area of Westbury is bad, they're always loitering around on Union & Prospect with MS13 & Surenos tags going up as fast as they're taken down. I avoid taking the n22 through there for that very reason, wouldn't want to risk breaking down there for sure. As for the buses getting tagged, it seems like it's happening on the routes that travel to Hempstead & New Cassel the most, and the seating layout on the NG's makes it easier for the vandals. The V's seem much cleaner and have less magic marker tags, whereas the NG's (esp the 17s) are the worst. Sadly unlike NYC our police forces are ill-equipped to handle the gangs, they dont patrol the buses, and the county govt acts like it's still 1955 when it comes to police funding. People who ride the buses deserve to feel safe and get some protection, but this is a county that thinks buses are worth only $2.6M a year so good luck with that. It's a vicious cycle, passengers will stop riding because they dont feel safe, I know for sure HTC is less busy as a result of the goings on over there. Throw in service cuts and reliability issues and you start losing ppl in droves.

Then you can add all the other folks living here who pay high taxes and see homes in their neighborhood stuffed full of illegals and gang signs in their communities and they start leaving too. We need the same kind of policy that NYC used under Giuliani, and starting with the buses isn't a bad idea.  I hate going off-topic here but it does relate to the buses. If we keep going in this direction our buses may start looking like the subway did in the 70s...

Edited by PinePower

Lots of goodies here...

BTC Presentation 1 http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/BTC-12-17-2013-Part-1.pptx

Smartphone app, AVL timeline, HTC real time info

BTC Presentation 2 http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/BTC-12-17-2013-Part-2.pptx

2013 Year in Review

2013Q3 KPI http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/Third-Quarter-2013-BTC.pdf

Lots of goodies here...

BTC Presentation 1 http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/BTC-12-17-2013-Part-1.pptx

BTC Presentation 2 http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/BTC-12-17-2013-Part-2.pptx

2013 Year in Review

2013Q3 KPI http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/Third-Quarter-2013-BTC.pdf

Those Customer interfaces are going to look very out of place at the Hempstead Terminal.

Lots of goodies here...

2013 Year in Review

Are "Pass-ups" referring to "flagging"?