Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

I was not surprised QJ, I was irritated. I just wanted to get on the bus so I could go to work, and being that there was room, I was pissed because I then had to wait for the next one. If the driver doesn't want to make them move back I can enter through the back door. But it's whatever, I'll just leave earlier and aim for the N1

I said I don't have the number but I have the time and driver description. She said "sir we don't go by that". I knew exactly which driver it was.  She said "we don't see the drivers, we can't take a description".  Eventually I said "look, there are only 2 female drivers with hazel eyes, YOU don't have to know who they are the dispatcher knows who they are." She was starting to piss me off. 

She's one of those drivers you have to look out for, not the nicest one of them.

Well, if they're not going to do anything about it they cannot expect their customer satisfaction to increase. It's like "ok the bus is on time now, but It doesn't stop". The same thing with the upcoming GPS system, "ok I can meet the bus at the bus stop, but it keeps going, whoop-t do".

Story time!

Last night the QBL was crappy. There was a water main break near the 53rd street tube, all (E) and (M) 's were using the 63rd st line to get to/from Queens. Conga line all the way up 6th Ave. I got tired of sitting at stations and in-between stations. I got off at 42nd st to take the <7>& (7) to at least bypass the bottleneck. I get to Roosevelt Ave, go downstairs, an (E) comes first, I see headlights down the express track so I wait for the (F). It comes, I get on, delays because of "Train Traffic" WTF!   :rolleyes:

We finally get to 169th, just in time for the 21:40 bus to Hempstead. It (Orion V) pulls up with maybe 10 people on board.

Another (F) must have arrived because the boardIng was never-ending. SRO just like that. Get to 179th pick up a few more. Picked up a couple at the "nite stop". Everyone else flagged, n6x in disguise  :P .  

Customer satisfaction for those people? LOW. No one want's to get flagged at night, in the cold, on a route @ 20 min headway.

Now you know why I take the LIRR to NICE

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that's the problem, 20 min headway. It should be 15 min or maybe even 10. Wasn't the n6 more frequent at night with (MTA)?

It should be 15 min headway to 10pm at least, just one more bus between 9 and 10PM would help.  

Good question, I happen have a Winter 2011 N6 bus schedule. Lets see...

These were the Hempstead bound trips from Jamaica Bus terminal on Weekdays: (FYI, the last limited was at 6:37pm)

Time(PM)| Headway from prior bus(Mins)
                      6:37 |<-- Last N6 Limited
6:38 | 0:01
6:45 | 0:07
6:53 | 0:08
7:00 | 0:07
7:08 | 0:08
7:15 | 0:07
7:23 | 0:08
7:33 | 0:10
7:43 | 0:10
7:53 | 0:10
8:05 | 0:12
8:20 | 0:15
8:35 | 0:15
8:50 | 0:15
9:05 | 0:15
9:20 | 0:15
9:35 | 0:15
9:50 | 0:15
10:05 | 0:15
10:25 | 0:20
10:45 | 0:20
11:05 | 0:20
11:25 | 0:20
11:45 | 0:20
12:10 | 0:25
12:40 | 0:30

As you can see, there were 15 min headways after 8pm until 10pm

Edited by N6 Limited

It should be 15 min headway to 10pm at least, just one more bus between 9 and 10PM would help.  

Good question, I happen have a Winter 2011 N6 bus schedule. Lets see...

These were the Hempstead bound trips from Jamaica Bus terminal on Weekdays: (FYI, the last limited was at 6:37pm)

Time(PM)| Headway from prior bus(Mins)
                      6:37 |<-- Last N6 Limited
6:38 | 0:01
6:45 | 0:07
6:53 | 0:08
7:00 | 0:07
7:08 | 0:08
7:15 | 0:07
7:23 | 0:08
7:33 | 0:10
7:43 | 0:10
7:53 | 0:10
8:05 | 0:12
8:20 | 0:15
8:35 | 0:15
8:50 | 0:15
9:05 | 0:15
9:20 | 0:15
9:35 | 0:15
9:50 | 0:15
10:05 | 0:15
10:25 | 0:20
10:45 | 0:20
11:05 | 0:20
11:25 | 0:20
11:45 | 0:20
12:10 | 0:25
12:40 | 0:30

As you can see, there were 15 min headways after 8pm until 10pm

Well there you go...this how the NICE satisfaction went down. Put the headways back to 15 minutes till 10pm. Things are still busy at 9pm!!

I can't believe I forgot to post this, but last time I was at Hempstead Transit Center, some woman tried to convert me to Christianity and sat with me for 20 minutes while I waited for the bus and gave me a speech on why what I was learning in college as a Biology major was incorrect and the fake theory of evolution. She gave me pamphlets as well. I threw them out.

And you entertained her (or vice versa)? I would have gotten up and left, and ripped the pamphlets in her face to boot.

I can't believe I forgot to post this, but last time I was at Hempstead Transit Center, some woman tried to convert me to Christianity and sat with me for 20 minutes while I waited for the bus and gave me a speech on why what I was learning in college as a Biology major was incorrect and the fake theory of evolution. She gave me pamphlets as well. I threw them out.

Same here also. My mom and I don't believe in gods either, so when I get mistakenly get copy of pamphets, I threw out. My Manhattanville B/O is regilious and when he does M4 bus, I sometimes follow him into church because church architecture is beautiful.

I'm going to make online version of MetroCard guide book in Nassau County/Suffolk County.

Damn, and I thought those annoying people were only present in my city every week but apperantly, they also exist on LI... :/

Damn, and I thought those annoying people were only present in my city every week but apperantly, they also exist on LI... :/

They exist everywhere.One time I was on the B83 and there were these people on the bus with an unlimited card going up and down Pennsylvania Ave preaching. And one time they were on the N6 also.

Similar situation happened to me at LIRR Ronkonkoma a couple years ago.... Went out SCT fanning & eventually made my way to the RR station... There were 3 Christians that were pushing religion to people over by the TVM (which I don't care much for the location of them at Ronkonkoma btw).... For whatever the reason, one of them came behind me & had the unmitigated gall to tap me on my shoulder & asked if I had a few minutes.... I said something to the effect of "For what".... Then the other two joined them & started out with their speech....

Needless to say, after I got my ticket, I walked away from them as they were preaching/speaking..... As rude as it is, I have no problem walking away from someone in the middle of their speech (hell, I did it yesterday @ Atlantic Terminal, with some guy introducing himself; "Good morning, my name is Thomas" (something another); that's about all I heard before I got on the train.... Whenever you hear someone coming up to you  introducing themselves like that, chances are 1] it's a fake ass name & 2] it's some kind of orchestrated scam or scheme for their personal benefit.... That dude even approached one of the c/r's while he was on the platform.... I wonder what that c/r told him)...

But as for those 2 women & 1 guy @ Ronkonkoma, I tell ya, people have a lot of nerve..... They tried to hand me something too, but I did the hand motion that's suggestive of 'no thanks'.... What I shouldn't have done is gave them eye contact, but then again, I don't think it would have mattered - They looked like there were there for hours that day too, and much like the weather these past few days, it was also cold as hell that saturday afternoon also......

Similar situation happened to me at LIRR Ronkonkoma a couple years ago.... Went out SCT fanning & eventually made my way to the RR station... There were 3 Christians that were pushing religion to people over by the TVM (which I don't care much for the location of them at Ronkonkoma btw).... For whatever the reason, one of them came behind me & had the unmitigated gall to tap me on my shoulder & asked if I had a few minutes.... I said something to the effect of "For what".... Then the other two joined them & started out with their speech....

Needless to say, after I got my ticket, I walked away from them as they were preaching/speaking..... As rude as it is, I have no problem walking away from someone in the middle of their speech (hell, I did it yesterday @ Atlantic Terminal, with some guy introducing himself; "Good morning, my name is Thomas" (something another); that's about all I heard before I got on the train.... Whenever you hear someone coming up to you  introducing themselves like that, chances are 1] it's a fake ass name & 2] it's some kind of orchestrated scam or scheme for their personal benefit.... That dude even approached one of the c/r's while he was on the platform.... I wonder what that c/r told him)...

But as for those 2 women & 1 guy @ Ronkonkoma, I tell ya, people have a lot of nerve..... They tried to hand me something too, but I did the hand motion that's suggestive of 'no thanks'.... What I shouldn't have done is gave them eye contact, but then again, I don't think it would have mattered - They looked like there were there for hours that day too, and much like the weather these past few days, it was also cold as hell that saturday afternoon also......

Happened to me waiting for the (E) train one time in Jamaica after getting off the LIRR, and on my way to Hicksville, in Jackson Heights too.

Almost forgot the n6 crowd report. Last night 21:20 N6 to Hempstead. SRO after 168th st,  Flagging/"pass-ups" after 178th St. 

If you're going to Hemsptead you're almost better off taking the n22 or n24 to Mineola for the n40/41, Franklin Square use the n25 (it runs pretty late), and as for Elmont, take an NYC Bus to the city line and walk the rest. I really don't know why ppl put up with the n6. 

If you're going to Hemsptead you're almost better off taking the n22 or n24 to Mineola for the n40/41, Franklin Square use the n25 (it runs pretty late), and as for Elmont, take an NYC Bus to the city line and walk the rest. I really don't know why ppl put up with the n6. 

I just take Long Island Railroad to mineola for N40/41

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but people like to give me pamphlets and junk for some reason. And it's not only religion. Back in Long Island Bus times, some kid gave me a pamphlet at HTC about practicing safe sex. Supposedly there was some committee or clinic or something with discussions in Hempstead in the area. As if I was going to wander into the neighborhood for that.

It also happens to me at Grand Central as well. Every time when I exit to 42nd St entrance where there's police desk, there's religious people handing out by escalators and kept thinking it's newspaper, but it wasn't, so I go to newspaper stand on train platform to threw away. Then relious people has table set up next to police desk.

In front of 42nd St Library, I see monk pushing people and tourists something.

Every Sunday, there's religious lady gets on n24 bus.

I remember long time ago, n24 bus was crowded and that regious lady was standing, and when I stand up and tap her and ask, "Would you like a seat/"

But instead of saying, she accused me of sexual harassment and "Don't touch me."

I was just being polite. (This was during Long Island Bus day.)

Edited by FamousNYLover

NICE didn't follow through last time. The only people paying $2.75 in that event are those paying a step up while using a Metrocard.

Exactly. Also: if NICE really would up the fare to $2.75 someone would've posted the original announcement by NICE in this topic already.

I remember long time ago, n24 bus was crowded and that regious lady was standing, and when I stand up and tap her and ask, "Would you like a seat/"

But instead of saying, she accused me of sexual harassment and "Don't touch me."

I was just being polite. (This was during Long Island Bus day.)

Wow, that's just plain rude. You were being very polite (don't see an action like yours too much these days!). I'm sorry to hear that.

The N6 if you can get on is much quicker. Most riders are not riding through to Hempstead

They're exaggerating a little. They posted two photos on Instagram/Twitter of some buses going threw the wash and going through de-icing, but nothing major. It's not like you're going to see cleaner back seats or cleaner window sills on the buses now.

Perhaps. I just stated what they wrote themselves but thanks for the clarification :)