Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

I was told by a NICE driver today that was told by a dispatcher friend that NICE will only spend max $7,000 a month on parts. If it reaches that & bus can't run, they will just sit in the yard. This may explain why a lot of runs go missing.

Shouldn't they be getting fined by the County for missing runs? 

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told by a NICE driver today that was told by a dispatcher friend that NICE will only spend max $7,000 a month on parts. If it reaches that & bus can't run, they will just sit in the yard. This may explain why a lot of runs go missing.

Smh....

I don't know what else to say.

Shouldn't they be getting fined by the County for missing runs? 

Well, this is mangano we are talking about. Do you really think he gives a damn?

Smh....

I don't know what else to say.

Well, this is mangano we are talking about. Do you really think he gives a damn?

Of course not. No one in Mineola gives a damn, until this county chokes on it's own traffic because so many want to avoid the bus..

If LIB was joined into MTA Bus  Do you think they would have merged the following routes for their latenight  hawks or last few runs of the night?

Q2/N6

Q5/N4

Q12/N20

Q43/N22

Q36/N24

Nassau at night is a sight to behold nothing is over there just nothing. N6 is a special case. Remember N90 late night or was it called n91 I do remember it being a 90 series it got axed for a reason

If LIB was joined into MTA Bus  Do you think they would have merged the following routes for their latenight  hawks or last few runs of the night?

Q2/N6

Q5/N4

Q12/N20

Q43/N22

Q36/N24

No. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Long Islanders don't want city buses running on their streets.

No. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Long Islanders don't want city buses running on their streets.

Is this the reason why Q5 LTD and Q85 LTD doesn't go into Green Acres?

I don't think buses will be combined.

If MTA took over NICE routes, there might be no faster ride.

There was one passenger complained and one n22L Limited bus back.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Is this the reason why Q5 LTD and Q85 LTD doesn't go into Green Acres?

I don't think buses will be combined.

If MTA took over NICE routes, there might be no faster ride.

There was one passenger complained and one n22L Limited bus back.

No. The Q5 and Q85 LTD don't go into Green Arces because they're serving the Rosedale Branch of the route.

Well now ain't they special... <_<

Q2/N6

Q5/N4

Q12/N20

Q43/N22

Q36/N24

If they did that, the routes would be hella long. :D Edited by Missabassi

http://nicebus.com/NiceBus/media/Nicebus-PDFs/Financial-doc-1_1.pdf

There will be a (very) minor reduction in weekday service and a very minor increase in Sunday service come April.

There is a $3.3M funding gap. Mid-year service cuts may be necessary.

The County should fill that gap. I have a feeling the Natural Gas prices that have gone through the roof this winter are a factor. If they make more service cuts that will mean more ridership going bye bye. Lets see if Mangano steps up to the plate with funding....

Edited by PinePower

Riding 1832 this afternoon. Very sad how a bus that's just over 3 years old sounds like this. I mentioned it to the driver, he said there's no maintanance and they won't fix it until he gets stuck with it. Sounds like the fan belt.

NICE sucks.

How is Nice bus doing compared to the old MTA Long Island Bus? Is it better or is it the same.

Although I've tried to be optimistic, I have to say it's worse. Before Mangano & co came along MTA LI Bus was increasing ridership. Especially once NYCT got involved out here, the buses were cleaner and more reliable. Let me first say that when you're spending less on buses, and the moneys allocated to NICE by the County are lower than that under LI Bus, service will suffer. Quite a few routes run less often, meaning longer waits and more overcrowding. There's a lower quality of maintanance, so there's more equipment failures. The buses are definately dirtier. The $36 Million the MTA was demanding from the County was reasonable when compared to other nearby systems, but Nassau said they could do it for less. But it's of lower quality. You get what you pay for, just like getting fooled by those "deals" from Bob's furniture, but you then find out it's junk.

Now I'm not hating on Veolia, they're just doing what they can afford, they only get $2.6Million from the county, that's about a quarter of what MTA got, so of course service is going to suffer. I've seen the lost ridership first hand, as I find myself taking the 6:48pm n51 from Merrick often, and we used to pick up a group of commuters. I even remember their faces, but they no longer ride, and now I'm often the only one on the bus. Most now drive or get picked up, I guess after some no-shows and being left waiting at the station they had enough. Sorry to be so down on this system but I've given up, not worth my effort anymore, no one in Mineola cares and the people who could make choices have left the system, and what remains are the poorest of the poor. Ed Mangano's State of the County is tomorrow night, and I'm sure he'll continue to throw us all under the bus.

Edited by SevenEleven

Although I've tried to be optimistic, I have to say it's worse. Before Mangano & co came along MTA LI Bus was increasing ridership. Especially once NYCT got involved out here, the buses were cleaner and more reliable. Let me first say that when you're spending less on buses, and the moneys allocated to NICE by the County are lower than that under LI Bus, service will suffer. Quite a few routes run less often, meaning longer waits and more overcrowding. There's a lower quality of maintanance, so there's more equipment failures. The buses are definately dirtier. The $36 Million the MTA was demanding from the County was reasonable when compared to other nearby systems, but Nassau said they could do it for less. But it's of lower quality. You get what you pay for, just like getting fooled by those "deals" from Bob's furniture, but you then find out it's junk.

Now I'm not hating on Veolia, they're just doing what they can afford, they only get $2.6Million from the county, that's about a quarter of what MTA got, so of course service is going to suffer. I've seen the lost ridership first hand, as I find myself taking the 6:48pm n51 from Merrick often, and we used to pick up a group of commuters. I even remember their faces, but they no longer ride, and now I'm often the only one on the bus. Most now drive or get picked up, I guess after some no-shows and being left waiting at the station they had enough. Sorry to be so down on this system but I've given up, not worth my effort anymore, no one in Mineola cares and the people who could make choices have left the system, and what remains are the poorest of the poor. Ed Mangano's State of the County is tomorrow night, and I'm sure he'll continue to throw us all under the bus.

N51 had ridership? What others had no-shows What I want to see is what NICE can do with the money MTA asked for?

Edited by qjtransitmaster

This bus is like 80 degrees and no one thought to open the vent or windows? -_-

Happens all the time, apparently the riders like stifling air... :lol:

N51 had ridership? What others had no-shows What I want to see is what NICE can do with the money MTA asked for?

Me too, that's all I'm asking for, restore the 9 Mil and see what NICE can do...

Happens all the time, apparently the riders like stifling air... :lol:

Me too, that's all I'm asking for, restore the 9 Mil and see what NICE can do...

Makes no sense.. It was a low floor bus and someone was in the way so I couldn't do it myself so I asked if someone could open the vent and people just looked. Then this guy who was hot got up and pushed the vent up. SMH. If I was able to get to a window I would have opened that as well.

As for the 9 mill it would be interesting what they would do.