Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case

Shortline Bus

"Emergency calls to 911, placed the night an unarmed Florida teenager was killed by a neighborhood watch captain, were too much for his family to bear.

"He killed my son," the boy's father screamed as his mother fled the room in hysterical tears, according to a family representative who spoke with ABC News.

The recordings were released late Friday night.

Seventeen-year-old Trayvon Martin was allegedly shot to death by George Zimmerman, 28, on Feb. 26. Martin, a high school junior, was carrying a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea. Zimmerman was armed with a handgun.

According to police, Zimmerman spotted Martin walking slowly in the rain wearing a hoodie, and called 911 to report a suspicious person in the neighborhood. Despite being instructed by a dispatcher to stay in his vehicle, Zimmerman chased Martin on foot and the two ended up in a fistfight.

Zimmerman admitted shooting Martin but maintains he did it in self defense.

"Mr. Zimmerman's claim is that the confrontation was initiated by Trayvon," Police Chief Bill Lee told the Miami Herald. "I am not going into specifics of what led to the violent physical encounter witnessed by residents. All the physical evidence and testimony we have independent of what Mr. Zimmerman provides corroborates this claim to self-defense."

Witnesses reported hearing a cry for help and then a gunshot, and several told the Miami Herald they came outside to find Zimmerman standing over Martin's dead body, pinning him down with his hands.

"I heard someone crying - not boo-hoo crying, but scared or terrified or hurt maybe," neighbor Mary Cutcher told the Herald. "To me, it was a child."

"I know what I heard. I heard a cry and a shot," Selma Mora Lamilla, a friend of Cutcher's, told the paper. "If there was a fight, it did not happen here where the boy was shot. I would have heard it, as this all happened right outside my open window."

Zimmerman was found with blood on his face and the back of his head, according to the Orlando Sentinel. He has not been arrested or charged with a crime."

Infamous 911 in Question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKNzpsHB6zI

ABC News story March 15, 2012

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1041316

This was a murder. The kid went out and bought something from the 7eleven and was going back home. He just happened to have been wearing a hoodie in place where there is a neighborhood watch, which caused Zimmerman to take action by calling the police thinking Trayvon Martin was a suspicious person. However Mr. Zimmerman should of followed the dispatcher's orders by not doing anything and staying in his vehicle, but instead got out and got into a fight with this teen and then shot an unarmed teen. I know for a fact sodas and skittles are not capable of killing someone, so there is no way that was self defense. I'm also hearing Reverend Al will be in Florida too, so things are going to get very very interesting.

What a f--ked up world we live in

That's the word we live in. People get killed for things like doing the right thing, being themselves, having money or a better car then someone, and many others I can name.

Just wondering: How did a confrontation become a fist fight? The way I see it, if the watch guy just questioned the teen and maybe frisked him, none of this would have happened. Why were punches thrown and then shots fired?

Great point. While honestly it does seem so far from limited info about that tragic night, that Zimmerman might be using his gun way too early, a big factor where this neighborhood watchman gets charged w/ murder rests with this important question?

Just wondering: How did a confrontation become a fist fight? The way I see it, if the watch guy just questioned the teen and maybe frisked him, none of this would have happened. Why were punches thrown and then shots fired?

But at the same time, this guy is not a cop. He doesn't have the right to question or frisk anybody. If anybody came running up on me like that at night, you best believe that I'm swinging on them. If he had just stayed in his car like the 911 dispatcher told him a 17 y/o kid would still be alive right now.

This was a murder. The kid went out and bought something from the 7eleven and was going back home. He just happened to have been wearing a hoodie in place where there is a neighborhood watch, which caused Zimmerman to take action by calling the police thinking Trayvon Martin was a suspicious person. However Mr. Zimmerman should of followed the dispatcher's orders by not doing anything and staying in his vehicle, but instead got out and got into a fight with this teen and then shot an unarmed teen. I know for a fact sodas and skittles are not capable of killing someone, so there is no way that was self defense. I'm also hearing Reverend Al will be in Florida too, so things are going to get very very interesting.

Well MC CJ you called perfectly. "Rev. AL" will be in Sanford on Thursday as he will also tape his weeknight MSNBC newstalk show from that site as well.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/florida-college-students-neighborhood-watch-leader-shot-unarmed-teen-death-arrested-article-1.1047000

"Emergency calls to 911, placed the night an unarmed Florida teenager was killed by a neighborhood watch captain, were too much for his family to bear.

"He killed my son," the boy's father screamed as his mother fled the room in hysterical tears, according to a family representative who spoke with ABC News.

The recordings were released late Friday night.

Seventeen-year-old Trayvon Martin was allegedly shot to death by George Zimmerman, 28, on Feb. 26. Martin, a high school junior, was carrying a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea. Zimmerman was armed with a handgun.

According to police, Zimmerman spotted Martin walking slowly in the rain wearing a hoodie, and called 911 to report a suspicious person in the neighborhood. Despite being instructed by a dispatcher to stay in his vehicle, Zimmerman chased Martin on foot and the two ended up in a fistfight.

"Mr. Zimmerman's claim is that the confrontation was initiated by Trayvon," Police Chief Bill Lee told the Miami Herald. "I am not going into specifics of what led to the violent physical encounter witnessed by residents. All the physical evidence and testimony we have independent of what Mr. Zimmerman provides corroborates this claim to self-defense."

Witnesses reported hearing a cry for help and then a gunshot, and several told the Miami Herald they came outside to find Zimmerman standing over Martin's dead body, pinning him down with his hands.

"I heard someone crying - not boo-hoo crying, but scared or terrified or hurt maybe," neighbor Mary Cutcher told the Herald. "To me, it was a child."

"I know what I heard. I heard a cry and a shot," Selma Mora Lamilla, a friend of Cutcher's, told the paper. "If there was a fight, it did not happen here where the boy was shot. I would have heard it, as this all happened right outside my open window."

Zimmerman was found with blood on his face and the back of his head, according to the Orlando Sentinel. He has not been arrested or charged with a crime."

Infamous 911 in Question: FIRST VIDEO

ABC News story March 15, 2012

SECOND VIDEO

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/911-calls-released-death-unarmed-teen-trayvon-martin-allegedly-shot-neighborhood-watch-captain-article-1.1041316

This is just a horrible scene all around, and it's all too common these days. White man calls the police on the black man, black man ends up getting killed and his only crime was being black. Or, if it's New York City, they don't even need to call the police, the cops just shoot you for fun like the kid in the Bronx.

Same time, I gotta just address that first video. Guy narrating at the end there, he's got it all wrong. All wrong. You don't fight fire with fire. Him talking about white kids being kidnapped and in danger and all that...well, the first response is always anger, but you're no better than the racist who killed Trayvon if you think like that. If your solution to white on black violence is black on white violence, you need to rethink a whole lot of things.

The opinions in the second video though: absolutely correct. I'll say it right now, that cop is a plain racist. For a teenage kid holding candy to be shot to death by a man with a 100 pound weight advantage, and to call that self-defense? And to give some chickensh!t "it all depends" answer? That's pure racism. Never would have happened to a white boy in the circumstances, and he knows it well.

Not to mention, that watch guy needs to go to jail and NOW. If you think being the guy who sits in his Honda eating pizza in a gated community makes you a cop and a hero, you are delusional. If you think your pathetic non-job of a "watchdog" for paranoid rich people gives you the right to shoot and kill, you are delusional. Zimmerman is delusional. Absolutely delusional and he killed a man for it. Unless some crazy new evidence comes out (which it won't), I say jail time, psych ward, or both.

See, this is one reason why I'm not all that quick to up & leave the urban community.....

You do have these white men that act all billy badass-like when they see some young black or hispanic boy in their neighborhoods.... There was a youtube video a while back of some kids congregating by some body of water, then this old white guy comes out bitching about get off of his property.... one kid then argued that it wadn't his property.... an argument ensued - Old white guy got up in the kid's face making all kinds of threats, then eventually shoved the kid (initiating physical contact).... IIRC, the kid then punched the old guy in retaliation, then that's where the video cut off.... Some of you may know what I am referring to here....

In any event, Mr. Zimmerman here was told not to pursue the kid, but he did anyway (obstruction of justice)..... Watch him get a slap on the wrist for shooting that kid too....

From what, is what's under scrutiny here.....

He saw a hood(y) & assumed the person it embodied was up to no good... Self-defense my ass.....

From what I heard about this story, there was nothin that led me to believe that this Zimmerman character was in any danger.....

....and f*** al sharpton

This case could sadly quickly develop into another Rodney King-type outcome IMO if the state and even US Attorney General's office does not address this.(except Zimmerman is not a cop)

Fla. despite it's population boom in last 20-30 years is one of the most segrated states in America. Other than Miami and say Tampa, the rest of the state particuarly some members of law enforcement have this trigger happy attitude and not open minded of people of color. I did not say all law enforcement. Not to mention, in most of Fla. the Black Community having to this day a rough relationship with police from Sanford to Orlando to Miami and elsewhere in between.

I find it intresting that Mr. Zimmerman is now claiming he part "Latino" in his self defense. Again for many years, there been an uneasy relationship between the Black and Latino and White communities in the sunshine state. In the 1980's there was several racial riots in Miami, after White and Latino cops killed several Young Black Men in police bruality cases. I know Zimmerman is not a cop and based on evidence so far he did go way too far in Mr. Martin. Again, I want to see the Zimmerman/police side before i go hammer that police department.

If I was Fla. Gov. Scott a stanuch consertative and tea party supporter, this Martin case could turn very ugly quickly and create a special prosectuor to see if Zimmerman should go to trial (IMO he should). Ditto for US Attorney General Eric Holder. Again if i am the Sanford, Fla. Police, if Zimmerman acted in self defense why not come out 'now' with more evidence?

Some important developments in the Martin shooting. Both a local and federal probe has begun on whether Zimmerman should be arrested on either or both.

And next a rumored comment states Zimmerman used the "N" word reguarly. This story has even so big it even took away some media coverage from the Presdential race. Here link.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/trayvon-martin-shooting-parents-call-george-zimmerman-arrest-article-1.1048076

From what I've heard/read, Zimmerman was wrong in ignoring orders by the cops to NOT pursue the kid. So what he did was make him the aggressor. As for the scuffle and supposed broken nose of Zimmerman, hope there is proof of that because the events b/w talking to the cops and the shooting are still unclear.

People shouldn't be so quick to assume the kid is a 'saint'. Now what happened to the kid was terrible, but that doesn't give people the right to go on 'flash mobs' and robbing places like Walgreens or such. Also Sharpton there doesn't make the situation any better. Where's Sharpton on black-on-black violence? He is so full of it appearing here because it's a white-on-black shooting.

It doesn't make sense. You shoot a kid for carrying ice tea and skittles while he is only wearing a hoodie. That is wrong. Ironically anyone in any race wearing a hoodie including me (Yes I wear hoodies) never get shot at, but a black kid wearing a hoodie deserves to be shot and killed? That is disgusting.

And yes Flordia has some of the worse racism in the country if not the entire union. My aunt who is Asian and lives down there has a daughter. Her daughter goes to school down there. More than once her daughter mentioned racism in her school and the surrounding areas. So I am not amazed by this. Somethihg needs to be taken care of especially with the mentality of the people in the state.

From what I've heard/read, Zimmerman was wrong in ignoring orders by the cops to NOT pursue the kid. So what he did was make him the aggressor. As for the scuffle and supposed broken nose of Zimmerman, hope there is proof of that because the events b/w talking to the cops and the shooting are still unclear.

People shouldn't be so quick to assume the kid is a 'saint'. Now what happened to the kid was terrible, but that doesn't give people the right to go on 'flash mobs' and robbing places like Walgreens or such. Also Sharpton there doesn't make the situation any better. Where's Sharpton on black-on-black violence? He is so full of it appearing here because it's a white-on-black shooting.

Actually Zimmerman is half Hispanic Concourse. Generally this is a strange case and assuming Zimmerman does get arrestred IMO it's going to be hard to convict him due to basically no other witness. Thus why i am worried this situation could get ugly and riots would occur.

With that said, why this so called neighborhood watch 'volunteer cop' was able to get a gun so easy. I think the biggest issue of excessive force/self defense laws in Fla. is a much bigger issue here than the hoodie and even race here. We shall see.

Unclear? There's one thing that's abundantly clear: an unarmed black teenager is dead having been shot to death by a white-Hispanic racist with a 100 pound weight advantage who clearly followed and went after the boy. 911 calls even include witnesses hearing the boy screaming for help before the man shoots him. You have witnesses, a man who admitted to the shooting, and proof the boy was unarmed. What part is confusing you?

Stop banging on about Al Sharpton and start thinking about the tougher question here, which is just how this happened and how Zimmerman got away with it (so far).

New reports by the PD, which the Orlando Sentinel released, along with eyewitness accounts, are stating that Zimmerman did turn around and leave, the kid went after Zimmerman, assaulted him, and started bashing his head into the pavement. If that is the case, it's a justifiable shoot, since bashing-head-into-pavement is a life-threat.

New reports by the PD, which the Orlando Sentinel released, along with eyewitness accounts, are stating that Zimmerman did turn around and leave, the kid went after Zimmerman, assaulted him, and started bashing his head into the pavement. If that is the case, it's a justifiable shoot, since bashing-head-into-pavement is a life-threat.

Meanwhile ABC News is reporting that Zimmerman in a video just relesased did not appear to have any serious cuts as he claims when questioned by police right after the shooting. This is starting to me to becoming the strangest case of allegled police abuse/bruality and shooting i ever seen.

How many other news outlets did you see pick that up?

Archived