NYPD Using NYCT Buses for Arrests Again

MHV9218

After a pretty rough night with Occupy Wall Street in which the NYPD arrested approximately 50 people and broke one girl's ribs, some photos are coming up. The evening started as protestors went back to Zucotti park on a six-month anniversary gathering, and with around 600 protestors they marched and moved around Lower Manhattan. Cops were not in a generous mood, attacking journalists, photographers, and scores of protestors.

This photo's particularly interesting to the forums: appears to be the window of an O7 hybrid which sources say the NYPD used for transporting arrested protesters, where the window has been smashed with an occupier's head.

w1K2.jpg

The cop had smashed him against the window with enough force to shatter the window. According to protestors seats were also used to smash heads against, and some citizens were stomped on on the steps. Nice stuff.

Excellent video, but jesus the pigs were at it last night. That guy at around 9:30 spoke for me: "C'MON YOU VIOLENT BASTARDS, WHERE'S THE PARAMEDIC?!"

So it was 6694.

To all ops who could be reading this: YOU DO NOT NEED TO COMPLY WITH AN OFFICER IN THIS SITUATION. The TWU believes that there is no contractual obligation to drive a bus of arrestees, regardless of what the NYPD says. [Especially in cases where the majority of arrests are thrown out in court later, like at OWS.] If the NYPD does this at more OWS protests, and I'm sure they will, B/Os do not need to comply with this madness.

To all ops who could be reading this: YOU DO NOT NEED TO COMPLY WITH AN OFFICER IN THIS SITUATION. The TWU believes that there is no contractual obligation to drive a bus of arrestees, regardless of what the NYPD says. [Especially in cases where the majority of arrests are thrown out in court later, like at OWS.] If the NYPD does this at more OWS protests, and I'm sure they will, B/Os do not need to comply with this madness.

Wouldn't the NYPD call up the TA and ask for a bus? Cops can ask a B/O to end a run and transport prisoners, and if a B/O complies he / she won't get in trouble? That's ridiculous.

The NYPD can claim legal obligation of some kind. Besides, what does the NYPD have to do with the contract in the first place?

Wouldn't the NYPD call up the TA and ask for a bus? Cops can ask a B/O to end a run and transport prisoners, and if a B/O complies he / she won't get in trouble? That's ridiculous.

The NYPD can claim legal obligation of some kind. Besides, what does the NYPD have to do with the contract in the first place?

The current status is that TWU Local 100 has been denied an injunction but is still fighting in court to make sure that operators will not be forced to transport arrested protestors. Currently, the NYPD has taken buses on layover (and by the looks of last night's action, in service) and told the B/O to drive arrested protestors to nearby jails. On one occasion they took five buses, which means five runs missed. TWU Local 100 says that's not something operators are required to do and a violation of the 4th Amendment. They're working on a restraining order for operators from the NYPD. [There's been a fair deal of police violence on the buses too, and that's where the cracked window came from.]

The current status is that TWU Local 100 has been denied an injunction but is still fighting in court to make sure that operators will not be forced to transport arrested protestors. Currently, the NYPD has taken in service buses and thrown everybody off and told the B/O to drive arrested protestors to nearby jails. TWU Local 100 says that's not something operators are required to do and a violation of the 4th Amendment. There's been a fair deal of violence on the buses too, and that's where the cracked window came from.

Three questions:

1) What's the ratio of police officers to prisoners on the buses? (say, 30 prisoners and 10 police officers)

2) How many prisoners do they usually transport on these buses.

3) How bad does it have to be to have a bus transport prisoners (versus just using the police cars/police vans)?

Three questions:

1) What's the ratio of police officers to prisoners on the buses? (say, 30 prisoners and 10 police officers)

3) How bad does it have to be to have a bus transport prisoners (versus just using the police cars/police vans)?

My answer to all of that is, well, it depends. Buses are used based on quantity, not based on violence, although those two go hand in hand. They don't use police cars, btw, they use windowless trucks and vans. They also sometimes use police buses, these massive white school buses with NYPD on them, but I guess they didn't bother getting them last night. Anyway, last night the numbers were probably around 10 cops to 25 prisoners, but that's an estimate only. For the rest of your questions, you can do the math basically:

On the main instance where they took 5 buses, they transported 700 prisoners. [That was the Brooklyn Bridge incident.] Now assume that the paddy wagons carried 20 each, and there were maybe 20 vans, that's 300 prisoners left for buses. They took O7s and RTSes, so 60 prisoners on a bus, which is pretty close to capacity already. Then they put around ten cops on a bus, so that's 70 people on the bus, and that's significant.

Sorry for the bump, but here's a solid number for you:

Three questions:

Shawn Carrié, one of the arrested and beaten protestors on the bus tweeted this on the night:

"17 people are on an MTA bus,#6694. So ****** they are using a public bus for this shit"

My answer to all of that is, well, it depends. Buses are used based on quantity, not based on violence, although those two go hand in hand. They don't use police cars, btw, they use windowless trucks and vans. They also sometimes use police buses, these massive white school buses with NYPD on them, but I guess they didn't bother getting them last night. Anyway, last night the numbers were probably around 10 cops to 25 prisoners, but that's an estimate only. For the rest of your questions, you can do the math basically:

On the main instance where they took 5 buses, they transported 700 prisoners. [That was the Brooklyn Bridge incident.] Now assume that the paddy wagons carried 20 each, and there were maybe 20 vans, that's 300 prisoners left for buses. They took O7s and RTSes, so 60 prisoners on a bus, which is pretty close to capacity already. Then they put around ten cops on a bus, so that's 70 people on the bus, and that's significant.

My first thought was "Damn. It seems kind of silly to have the police officers and/or passengers standing while they're being transported, but I guess you do what you have to do".

Sorry for the bump, but here's a solid number for you:

Shawn Carrié, one of the arrested and beaten protestors on the bus tweeted this on the night:

"17 people are on an MTA bus,#6694. So ****** they are using a public bus for this shit"

I see thanks. 17 people sounds more reasonable.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. If you don't like cops then keep your comments to yourself. NYPD cops and other cops in general risk there lives everyday and yet people like you who say F--K the police is just disrespectful.
I agree. smh @ The cop bashing in this thread.* Really at this point the rally is more an excuse for anarchists to go apeshit nuts and disrupt the lives of people in the downtown area. These so called 99%ers have forced local small businesses to close down because no one wants to go near that rabid crowd and would rather go somewhere else.

So people can bash the tea party all they want, but I haven't heard of them staging half a year long occupations and disrupting the local area. You can demonstrate and make a point in marches, but this is just out of control and has made the whole movement a total joke. It's lost it's meaning about being against the corruption and greed of Wall St and has been more about the protesters wanting to 'slum it'.

*I do not justify cop brutality, but that's too blanketed a statement to say 'hate all cops'.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. If you don't like cops then keep your comments to yourself. NYPD cops and other cops in general risk there lives everyday and yet people like you who say F--K the police is just disrespectful.

You Know something SHUT UP, Because you don't know how it feels when you walking home and one of these pigs stop you and throw you in jail for a crime you didn't even commit a block away from your home , Im fed up with people kissing the NYPD's ass, they are nothing but racist pigs who like to pray on innocent minorities.

Go though what i went though and tell me how it feels, until then shut up

I agree. smh @ The cop bashing in this thread.* Really at this point the rally is more an excuse for anarchists to go apeshit nuts and disrupt the lives of people in the downtown area. These so called 99%ers have forced local small businesses to close down because no one wants to go near that rabid crowd and would rather go somewhere else.

So people can bash the tea party all they want, but I haven't heard of them staging half a year long occupations and disrupting the local area. You can demonstrate and make a point in marches, but this is just out of control and has made the whole movement a total joke. It's lost it's meaning about being against the corruption and greed of Wall St and has been more about the protesters wanting to 'slum it'.

*I do not justify cop brutality, but that's too blanketed a statement to say 'hate all cops'.

They Get no respect period, if they were risking their lives they would be throwing real criminals in jail, not innocent ones, you can walk and do nothing and they stop you just to pick on you, i don't agree what the protesters do, but at the same time the NYPD shouldn't be beating the hell out of them for no reason especially if they aren't doing anything, cops like to target minorities point blank even though they throw the real criminals in jail, they also plant evidence on innocent people, cops don't protect and serve, they abuse their power

Man seeing that clip really isn't cool.

I standby my 50/50 with cops. 50% of them are messed up, and the others are the good ones. The bad ones DONT deserve to be a cop. Maybe some of you support all cops, but one day you will feel the heat when you have to deal with the wrong cop, then you know how it feels.

The cops i respect are ONLY the ones who don't harass, are not racist and follow by the law.

They Get no respect period, if they were risking their lives they would be throwing real criminals in jail, not innocent ones, you can walk and do nothing and they stop you just to pick on you, i don't agree what the protesters do, but at the same time the NYPD shouldn't be beating the hell out of them for no reason especially if they aren't doing anything, cops like to target minorities point blank even though they throw the real criminals in jail, they also plant evidence on innocent people, cops don't protect and serve, they abuse their power

The problem is, many of them know the power they have, but not the responsibility. You might not be willing to share this, but what happened? I respect your privacy if you are not willing to share. You can sue the NYPD for false arrest, you know.

Archived