Draggable/zoomable MTA subway/bus maps

enderminh

Hey folks,

When I moved to New York and started learning the subway system, I was surprised that the MTA website does not have a draggable/zoomable MTA subway/bus map. I really like the MTA subway map because it provides much more information than the transit maps on Google. However, the official website requires you to open up the map in Acrobat where dragging/zooming is possible albeit a bit unintuitive.

So, I decided to create my own:

http://www.transitme.com

It has the MTA subway/bus maps on a Google Maps-like layer.

Let me know what you think,

Cheers,

Minh T. Nguyen.

Hey Minh, your maps (of all cities) are great! PDF's aren't exactly drag and zoom friendly. PDF's are also slow and clunky, your maps allow zooming on the NYC bus maps to be much more quicker.

The Lower Manhattan map is great, it would be nice if there could be a whole map of connected neighborhood maps.

very well done. It makes a great use of the google API to simplify the programming of it, and believe me javascript especially in the era of jquery and all the special effects you need to get in to make a site 'Web 2.0' can get very very complicated

N6 Limited, yeah I actually first tried to combine all the bus maps into one, because I also found it cumbersome that the bus maps on the MTA websites are chopped up into regions. However, the maps are not positioned at the same angles with another or were somehow distored, so that was a bit problematic. Let me try again another time.

TwoTimer, I assume you are referring to a smartphone app. I think there are plenty of those draggable maps on smartphones already. In fact, I am using the "NYC Bus & Subway Maps" map by Episode6 already, and I think it's fairly sufficient.

Cheers,

Minh T. Nguyen.

Archived