Best time to catch an R42?

QueensCzar248

for the (J): start at one end, if you see it on the opposite side, if you are close to 111 st or marcy ave, stay at the station and wait. If you are near the middle go to either marcy or 111 st and wait for it. Theres typically only 1-2 sets on the (J), many times its only one set.

for the (Z): Most (Z) trains are R42's so not a problem.

No,weekends there are 1 or 2 out running on weekends.

True. Even during late nights on weekends. The fact that they hardly run on weekends makes me wonder how unlucky some M/M must feel. Waiting for his run at Parsons, thinking it will be a 160, yet a 42 pops in; the sudden joy of jingling his keys and whistling stops...

The best time to catch an R42 is during the PM rush hour. Try waiting at the Manhattan bound side at Chauncey Street or Broadway Junction between 4:15pm-5:00pm. The (Z) trains starts their Manhattan bound service at either of those two stops as put-ins from the ENY Yard. The (Z) only runs about 6 trains during the rush hour and lot of them are R42's.

Today I caught a Z R42 around 5:30 at Chambers St (that station REALLY fell apart since I've been there last) but it was the only one I saw after about an hour and change plying the rails. Thanks for the info everyone! I appreciate the input- it saved me a lot of time!

The best time to catch an R42 is during the PM rush hour. Try waiting at the Manhattan bound side at Chauncey Street or Broadway Junction between 4:15pm-5:00pm. The (Z) trains starts their Manhattan bound service at either of those two stops as put-ins from the ENY Yard. The (Z) only runs about 6 trains during the rush hour and lot of them are R42's.

They run 6 (Z)s in the morning and 5 in the afternoon. Bway Jct is not always a guaranteed spot cuz some of the trains come out from the part of the yard that's facing Chauncey St and start from there instead. I used to catch one almost every afternoon going to work

They don't run on the weekends It's rare for them to do such.

You're best bet to catch one will be between 3:15PM and 5:20PM around canal Street.

I usually see them while commuting during these times.

They don't run on the weekends It's rare for them to do such.

You're best bet to catch one will be between 3:15PM and 5:20PM around canal Street.

I usually see them while commuting during these times.

They do run on weekends,i'v seen them running on weekends.

Back in Feb I saw an R42 (not in passenger service) at the Forest Hills Bound local platform at Roosevelt Ave around 11:15 AM. The side rollsigns were rolled 1/2way up but the Z was still partly visible. I had just stepped off a Jamaica bound E and was in a rush to catch the 7 to Main St so could not stay around. I assume the train was headed to Jamaica yard for some work. The train was certainly not running as an M. I have been a regular E and M rider and have never noticed anything but R160's on the M since service to Forest Hills began in June 2010. The rusty topped R42 looked out of place at Jackson Heights where most trains passing through are R160's along with the R46 R trains. People on the platform seemed to gasp looking at the rusted train with scratched windows which Queens Blvd riders are not used to.

Lots of people think that the Nassau Line is fully NTT. Not true. You can definitely catch an R40M/R42.

There are the occasional R42s on the (J), especially when the Prospect Park G.O. is in effect. The R160s tend to go to Prospect Park, as you don't have to do much to change the signs in the whole train, and the R42s go to Chambers Street.

I hear they are common on the (Z), so try rush hours.

Orion is very correct. I spent ages at Marcy Avenue trying to catch an R160 (Z) train, but the only thing coming was R160 (J)s. Every single (Z) that I saw was an R42. You should definitely check it out during rush hour.

Lots of people think that the Nassau Line is fully NTT. Not true. You can definitely catch an R40M/R42.

There are the occasional R42s on the (J), especially when the Prospect Park G.O. is in effect. The R160s tend to go to Prospect Park, as you don't have to do much to change the signs in the whole train, and the R42s go to Chambers Street.

Orion is very correct. I spent ages at Marcy Avenue trying to catch an R160 (Z) train, but the only thing coming was R160 (J)s. Every single (Z) that I saw was an R42. You should definitely check it out during rush hour.

There are no R40M in service as all are scraped or retired, And yes the best time to catch the R42 would be during rush hours. To catch the 42 i would usually go to Broad street a 5 pm and there should be a 42 (most likely a Z) in no time

Back in Feb I saw an R42 (not in passenger service) at the Forest Hills Bound local platform at Roosevelt Ave around 11:15 AM. The side rollsigns were rolled 1/2way up but the Z was still partly visible. I had just stepped off a Jamaica bound E and was in a rush to catch the 7 to Main St so could not stay around. I assume the train was headed to Jamaica yard for some work. The train was certainly not running as an M. I have been a regular E and M rider and have never noticed anything but R160's on the M since service to Forest Hills began in June 2010. The rusty topped R42 looked out of place at Jackson Heights where most trains passing through are R160's along with the R46 R trains. People on the platform seemed to gasp looking at the rusted train with scratched windows which Queens Blvd riders are not used to.
That was probably School Car.

Last year I took the (E) into Manhattan on an early day out and found an R160 on the Manhattan-bound tracks but when I walked towards the rear of the platform there was an R42 sitting there. I doubted it went into service considering I got off the R160 a while down the line before the express tracks started and I never saw it.

Archived