Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Queens Surface

High Floor Buses Fading Away...

It is sad... :) hopefully the (MTA) orders the new high-floor RTS in 2013...

No, hopefully they don't. Even with the low floor buses people find a way to take their sweet time. :(

As long as no manufacturers make low floor express buses, the high floor bus will never be extinct...

It is sad... :) hopefully the (MTA) orders the new high-floor RTS in 2013...

Those RTS' are for express service, not local. The TA will not order high floor transit buses anymore.

The MTA actually needs high floor buses on some heavy local routes, like the B6 and B46, but they don't want them. Dwell times are longer, and wheelchair lifts are madd expensive.

As long as no manufacturers make low floor express buses, the high floor bus will never be extinct...

NABI actually makes 45 foot low floor express buses, and DesignLine is getting in the business as well with their first contract coming from NJT.

But you are right as there will always be high floor express buses. One reason being there is nowhere to put luggage compartments on a low floor.

Cool pics and vid!

Awesome pics!

Excellent;)

I'll miss those O5 CNGs, great catches and shots.

Thanks guys for the comments, I miss the convenience of the thanks button. lol

Thanks guys for the comments, I miss the convenience of the thanks button. lol

So do I, and the shots are excellent BTW.

Hopefully when it's safe we can add some features back in.

Only 9? No wonder they're rare to find! I should catch the O5s on the B103 and the ones in Queens before they leave. Very nice shots!

Yeh up here in queens we can't get rid Orion's 5 CNG's. Some get scrapped and then some from JG and WF come to us. We still have at least 100 of them left.

Shame there not going to order high floors, and as someone said low floors can't handle the ruff roads of NYC, sure great for not paying wheel lifts but these are buses are compremising safety since your pretty much in ground and be killed in a side colision.Specally in Nyc were drivers are crazy. ''What was the MTA Thinking?''

Edited by MTARegional Bus