MCI coaches

7LineFan

What's the difference between the 102DL-W3SS (#s 1860-2039) and the D4500s?

102DL-W3SS (you can say its) the first MCI public coach and now has retired. they were the first model that let to the latest and redesigned D4500. The D4500 is a faster bus but also louder. the interior is better. the 102DL is slower but it's a very good bus.

102DL-W3SS (you can say its) the first MCI public coach and now has retired. they were the first model that let to the latest and redesigned D4500. The D4500 is a faster bus but also louder. the interior is better. the 102DL is slower but it's a very good bus.

Trchnically the MC-9, which is the predecessor to the 102DL was first for public. NJT had some. I think they may have had some MC-7's too.

Trchnically the MC-9, which is the predecessor to the 102DL was first for public. NJT had some. I think they may have had some MC-7's too.

The MC-9A and MC-9Bs were the first MCIs purchased new by NJT. The MC-7, MC-8, and GM Coaches were either bought secondhand or in the case of the GM some were ex-TNJ buses.

What's the difference between the 102DL-W3SS (#s 1860-2039) and the D4500s?
They have different head and tail light designs, the 1800s are powered by Detroit Diesel Series 60 while the D4500 is powered by Caterpillar C13.

They have different head and tail light designs, the 1800s are powered by Detroit Diesel Series 60 while the D4500 is powered by Caterpillar C13.

Some/Most pre- 2006/2007 MCI's are DDs60 powered. The only one's of ours that are CAT powered are the CL's, and CT's that are on order. 2140-2209, 2705-2924, & 7423-7428 are all DD powered. Not only that but some of the 102's and the first 3 model year D4500's have the same lights. The tail lights didn't change untill 2004.

It's a bunch of jargon. When I worked for Campus Coach, their buses 265, 266 and 267 says 102-DL3 on the builders plate. 268 and 269 (Renaissance) says 102-EL3. That is D model and E model, now known as D4500, E4500, etc......These coaches have DD60 engines in them. 251 and 252 are known as 102-A3s (aka MCI-10). This is why I say it's just jargon.......

It's a bunch of jargon. When I worked for Campus Coach, their buses 265, 266 and 267 says 102-DL3 on the builders plate. 268 and 269 (Renaissance) says 102-EL3. That is D model and E model, now known as D4500, E4500, etc......These coaches have DD60 engines in them. 251 and 252 are known as 102-A3s (aka MCI-10). This is why I say it's just jargon.......

Don't forget the J4500! LOL

Don't forget the J4500! LOL

Academy has plenty of those. The E-model, built on the D model chassis, with less gadgets and gizmos, unlike the E-model......

Or the G series!

Garbage series. I haven't seen them lately. I know Greyhound had some, and Transbridge had a few......

Garbage series. I haven't seen them lately. I know Greyhound had some, and Transbridge had a few......
I see the Transbridge around alot. And you don't really see Greyhound G series come up here alot, its like once in a while.

I see the Transbridge around alot. And you don't really see Greyhound G series come up here alot, its like once in a while.

I've only seen the G series (in person) a couple times. All Greyhound.

@ DOB2RTO- I've never known for MCI to make garbage, so what the deal with the G???

I've only seen the G series (in person) a couple times. All Greyhound.

@ DOB2RTO- I've never known for MCI to make garbage, so what the deal with the G???

Garbage, that is what the G stands for. Why do you think too many companies didn't buy them..........

From what I was told by a mechanic at Campus (when I worked there), the body is made cheaply. Actually just looking at the bus, one can see that. MCI made those, as they figure line haul operators would buy alot of them. Most went with Van-Hool T2045.

Looking at MCIs website, they don't even make the G4500 anymore. One can only get one pre-owned........

From what I was told by a mechanic at Campus (when I worked there), the body is made cheaply. Actually just looking at the bus, one can see that. MCI made those, as they figure line haul operators would buy alot of them. Most went with Van-Hool T2045.

Looking at MCIs website, they don't even make the G4500 anymore. One can only get one pre-owned........

Yeah, '07 was the last model year. I knew it was a super slow seller, but I never knew why. It's also my least favorite design.

Archived