Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
DanTheTransitMan

Why is the RTS the only type of bus that is used on the m66 and m72

The technical height limit on the transverse is 9' 9''. That's on the far side of the lane, and in the middle the height limit is closer to 11', but the MTA doesn't want to violate the rules in the event that any accident occurs. That means that no in service MTA bus besides an RTS can go through the transverse, since those are 9 feet, whereas the hybrids are all 10 feet to a little over, I believe. They're gonna eventually have to get Quill buses under 10 feet to make it work, but so far it's only RTSes. [And I like that!]

Soooooooo, this opens the possibility of Nova LFSs 40footers on those lines in the future? I mean, compared to Orion and New Flyer, those buses are short.

It all depends on the clearence issues, or verticle height of the busses. According to this, only a bus 9 foot 9 inches can use the transverse despite the middle of the overpass being 11 inches. This is a similar circumstance of why NICE busses cannot use the Parkways for their Express Bus Service, but that is another story...

Edited by KeystoneRegional

I've seen an artic on the M72 once. Don't remeber where.

I hope you mean the M79.

I hope you mean the M79.

Nope. I meant the M72. The BO said it was only going to 5 Avenue and 68 street. The bus also following ended at 68 street and was an RTS. However the following after the two was going to 66 street/Freedom Place. Edited by Q23 Central Term