where do conductors open/close doors

Calvin

When taking a -(B) today, 5070-5072 with 5086-5088, 5086 was the 5th car but the conductor opened at the 4th car (5072)

and few hours later, got a (Q) 8673-8677 with 8777-8773 (8777) is the 5th car

+i wonder why some trains conductors open in diffrent cars?

When taking a -( B) today, 5070-5072 with 5086-5088, 5086 was the 5th car but the conductor opened at the 4th car (5072)

and few hours later, got a (Q) 8673-8677 with 8777-8773 (8777) is the 5th car

+i wonder why some trains conductors open in diffrent cars?

there are cirumstances where the C/R will switch to the other cab.

Everything above the R44, (Maybe an exception with the R62, because unlike the R68s, they tend to use their half-cabs) the Conductor can stay in the 6th car.

Everything below, the conductor must change cars in the middle of the tunnel, or whenever he/she wants to.

The main part of this is that the conductor must be able to see the doors, and in a half-cab, he can only see one side of the train.

Is it possible for conductors to operate from the very rear car? Wouldn't that make it easier, more consistent, and more effective for them since they would only look in one direction and they would always have eye contact with the whole train as it departs?

Is it possible for conductors to operate from the very rear car? Wouldn't that make it easier, more consistent, and more effective for them since they would only look in one direction and they would always have eye contact with the whole train as it departs?

Again, that depends on the train. R44 and above (exception of the R62), they can. Below, there is only a half cab, so you can only see one side. You would have to walk all the way to the next car to open the doors on the opposite side of the train.

Trust me, the drivers would just open and close the doors if what you were saying was true. But the conductor must close the REAR doors before the front, and in the middle of the train, you can see all the doors clearly. In the front, you might not see the ones in the very back. In the back, you might not see the ones in the front. That is why they stay in the middle.

However on short LIRR trains, I believe the conductor opens the doors from the driver's cab, and in the Franklin Av. (S), the driver opens the doors, or the driver in the back scheduled to drive it from its original terminal.

Think about it, many stations have slight curves, operating the doors from the rear would disable your view of some cars of the train.

@trainguy97, the correct term is train operator or motorman. As you know you don't drive a train - there is no steering or pressing on a gas pedal. Just one of my pet peeves. ;)

The correct term is train operator or motorman. As you know you don't drive a train - there is no steering or pressing on a gas pedal. Just one of my pet peeves. ;)

Driver is just the slang term. I don't think that someone normal would say, "Go ask the Bus Operator for directions."

• 4 weeks later...

the G is a bit of a diffrent situation than was was being discussed. the C/R rides in the rear of the G all the time the G has a C/R.

under normal circumstances, the C/R rides in the front of car 5 of an 8 car train with full width cabs. Sometimes they are forced to switch to the back of the 4th when there is a problem with car 5

I was actually wondering myself, are they any lines where the T/O is also the conducter? (i.e. Franklin Ave (S)) If so is it done by the T/O or the T/O who was operating the train before and will operate it the other way too? This question also applies to MNRR,LIRR,SIR

I was actually wondering myself, are they any lines where the T/O is also the conducter? (i.e. Franklin Ave (S)) If so is it done by the T/O or the T/O who was operating the train before and will operate it the other way too? This question also applies to MNRR,LIRR,SIR

I believe most of the LIRR M3/M7 consists, the conductor is in the same cab as the driver, and he opens the doors. But at Atlantic Terminal, I have seen the Conductor in the middle.

For the C3-A, the conductors open the doors like the Amtrak Amfleets, one at a time. Some of the Amfleets, the older ones, Phase III, those ones are opened manually. The surf liners act like legit doors.

And I think that about your second situation, they actually did this with the (J) and (G) trains, when the (J) was going to Prospect Park, and the (G) has to run via Viaduct/PS Express.

Technically any position with a Master Door Control can be set up as an operating position but isnt for practical reasons. The most notable reason [amongst others] I was told for Conductors operating from the fifth car on especially transverse cab units is that most train set ups are also five car units, in the event of a coupler separation there is someone in charge in the second half of the train.

Technically any position with a Master Door Control can be set up as an operating position but isnt for practical reasons. The most notable reason [amongst others] I was told for Conductors operating from the fifth car on especially transverse cab units is that most train set ups are also five car units, in the event of a coupler separation there is someone in charge in the second half of the train.

Wow, this actually seems pretty logical. I doubt that I would have ever thought of that.

Archived