M28, M31 LTD and other Upper Manhattan Ideas

Threxx

Seeing as the S. Brooklyn thread was succesful, here are some Upper Manhattan ideas. Discussion about other things in area are allowed.

M28: Via 28/29 ST & 11/12 Avs from 125/Bway to Waterside.

Could an M31 LTD help turn the unreliable route around?

M31 doesn't need limited service. What that line does need is much more frequent service. 10 minute headways midday on that route aren't acceptable at all.

I take the M31 frequently, and ten minute headways are quite acceptable. The only Manhattan route that really gets screwed over midday is the M2 which has 15 minute headways -- if you really want bad service, you to post-Doomsday Brooklyn and wait for the B67 to show up. 30 minutes!

I take the M31 frequently, and ten minute headways are quite acceptable. The only Manhattan route that really gets screwed over midday is the M2 which has 15 minute headways -- if you really want bad service, you to post-Doomsday Brooklyn and wait for the B67 to show up. 30 minutes!

I'll try and make a map for the M28. My computer essentialy crashed last time I tried to make a map.

EDIT: Negative on map. My computer almost crashed again.

Turn by turn directions: North up Waterside Plaza to 34 St, south to 29 St, across to 12 Avenue, north to 57 St, across to West End Avenue, continue to Broadway, north to 125 St.

South down Broadway, continue to West End Avenue, continue to 11 Avenue, onto 28 Street, left to 2nd Avenue, then 23 St, then Waterside Plaza.

I'll try and make a map for the M28. My computer essentialy crashed last time I tried to make a map.

EDIT: Negative on map. My computer almost crashed again.

Turn by turn directions: North up Waterside Plaza to 34 St, south to 29 St, across to 12 Avenue, north to 57 St, across to West End Avenue, continue to Broadway, north to 125 St.

South down Broadway, continue to West End Avenue, continue to 11 Avenue, onto 28 Street, left to 2nd Avenue, then 23 St, then Waterside Plaza.

In reply here why your "M28" wont work Threxx.

1)The issue of NIMBY's along West End Ave. That among the richest neighborhoods not only in NYC but America as well. The TA has proposed routes before it got shot down. So the only place this route could travel along is along Riverside Drive.

2)Traffic along 11th Avenue from the Lincoln Tunnel between 28th and the mid '40's. That a reason the 'M11" is always subject to delays.

3)You better off restoring "M98" service connecting East Midtown to Harlem.

Nice try but unless you can adress those issues it wont work.

In reply here why your "M28" wont work Threxx.

1)The issue of NIMBY's along West End Ave. That among the richest neighborhoods not only in NYC but America as well. The TA has proposed routes before it got shot down. So the only place this route could travel along is along Riverside Drive.

2)Traffic along 11th Avenue from the Lincoln Tunnel between 28th and the mid '40's. That a reason the 'M11" is always subject to delays.

3)You better off restoring "M98" service connecting East Midtown to Harlem.

Nice try but unless you can adress those issues it wont work.

The M28 can get rerouted along 12 Avenue & Riverside Drive btwn 96 St & 28 St. Those NIMBY's need to realized that they aren't the only people in NYC. :angry: Sacrifices have to be made, sometimes. Perfect definition of conservative... :blink:

Threxx did you read my comments about Lincoln Tunnel Traffic? It can affect traffic on 12th Ave. as well.

The point is to reduce crowding on the M104 on weekdays. The crosstown portion is to supplement 34 & 23 St crosstown buses. Another idea I had was to make the M7 a full time limited to speed up service on that corridor.

The point is to reduce crowding on the M104 on weekdays. The crosstown portion is to supplement 34 & 23 St crosstown buses. Another idea I had was to make the M7 a full time limited to speed up service on that corridor.

The one that needs a Limited counterpart is the M11, I've never ridden that bus without it being packed to brim, even midday.

The M28 can get rerouted along 12 Avenue & Riverside Drive btwn 96 St & 28 St. Those NIMBY's need to realized that they aren't the only people in NYC. :angry: Sacrifices have to be made, sometimes. Perfect definition of conservative... :blink:

Except nobody would take a bus that goes down West End Avenue unless they lived there. There are literally no stores, restaurants, or any businesses along that street. With the M5 a block west and the M104 and the (1)(2)(3) trains a block east, there's absolutely no demand for a new bus route.

Except nobody would take a bus that goes down West End Avenue unless they lived there. There are literally no stores, restaurants, or any businesses along that street. With the M5 a block west and the M104 and the (1)(2)(3) trains a block east, there's absolutely no demand for a new bus route.

Threxx you should take seriously what Gorgor says. He lives in that part of Manhattan.

The M104 doesnt get that crowded to warrant a LTD counterpart to begin with.

Agreed, I've been along that area quite a lot over the past year, there really is no demand for buses along that area. Folks use the M57 quite nicely and that route alone along with the M66 & M72 is doing the job and meeting up with their demands.

Ok. You guys have sufficiently murdered the M28. No need for overkill.

No! It's great that you're trying to give an idea for a new bus route, but we're just trying to point out what the flaws in it would be. I'm sorry if I came out a bit angry if anything, I just care a lot about suggestions regarding Manhattan as a whole because I live here and think that the bus system isn't that good and has so much room for improvement.

For the M31 LTD, the only thing that might be effective would be if select Yorkville bound M31 PM rush hour buses made a left onto 1st Avenue, ran nonstop to 72nd or 79th Street, then went back and turned left onto York to provide faster service and to avoid the traffic in the 60s near the FDR Drive entrance/exit. Although we all know that it would never happen. The MTA has been murdering Upper East Side bus routes in the past few years. Not only have they cut the X90 and M30 buses which provided vital rush hour service, but they reduced frequencies and eliminated skip stop (this might've been even further back though) on the M79 and M86 buses.

I think MTA just combine some closet bus stops.

110th St & 5th Av and 5th Av & 108th St bus stops should be combine and relocate to 5th Av & 109th & 108th Sts, so on weekend, M1 passengers have connection to M2, M3, M4 bus.

5th Av/64th St should be discontinued.

Madison Av/65th-66th Sts should be M66/M72 Eastbound only and Madison Av/67th St could be M1, M2, M3, M4 NB and M72 EB.

M2 LTD stops at 7th Av/119th and 121st Sts should be combined to 7th Av/121st St.

I think MTA just combine some closet bus stops.

110th St & 5th Av and 5th Av & 108th St bus stops should be combine and relocate to 5th Av & 109th & 108th Sts, so on weekend, M1 passengers have connection to M2, M3, M4 bus.

5th Av/64th St should be discontinued.

Madison Av/65th-66th Sts should be M66/M72 Eastbound only and Madison Av/67th St could be M1, M2, M3, M4 NB and M72 EB.

M2 LTD stops at 7th Av/119th and 121st Sts should be combined to 7th Av/121st St.

The M2 Limited stops should also be consolidated to 106th and then 96th, too many stops at the moment.

On that topic, can anybody explain to me what the deal is with the M2 south of 14th? I can remember commuting on the M2 for a good 15 or so years, and I always thought it was 14th to 8th and 5th, then Astor. For some reason the MTA's been doing up their maps and changing signs to suggest that the M2 now runs local below 14th and stops at 12th, 10th, and University (and a few ops are following this as well, pain in the neck).

The M31 needs to get LF Articulated busses, however it should run somewhat of a LTD fashion on 57th St. and skip the stops with the least ridership on 57th St.

The M31 definitely needs artics, or at least low floors. Many senior citizens use that bus on York Avenue and they can take forever to get on.

And the only stops that would have low enough ridership to justify cutting them would be all the way on the west side near the start of the route, so it would be pointless. All crosstown buses get decent ridership at every stop.

The M31 needs to get LF Articulated busses, however it should run somewhat of a LTD fashion on 57th St. and skip the stops with the least ridership on 57th St.

57th has too much traffic to do that, and besides, the 31 acts as a supplement to the 57 going crosstown. There used to be a few scattered LFSAs, but I haven't seen one in months since they started putting those on the M60. It's gonna be a few months (when the next LFSA order hits 126) until the M31 gets a bunch of low floors.

57th has too much traffic to do that, and besides, the 31 acts as a supplement to the 57 going crosstown. There used to be a few scattered LFSAs, but I haven't seen one in months since they started putting those on the M60. It's gonna be a few months (when the next LFSA order hits 126) until the M31 gets a bunch of low floors.

Yeah, but it could be done still, it would probably merely shave off few minutes from the run unfortunately...

Yeah, but it could be done still, it would probably merely shave off few minutes from the run unfortunately...

Yeah, save a few people two minutes while forcing many more people to walk an avenue block to catch the bus, thus increasing their total trip time and making it a major inconvenience. Not worth it.

Archived