The Official CDTA thread

Harry

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CDTA's busiest route The 12 (Washington Ave), and the still used, but not as much 114 (Madison/Washington), the 11 (UAlbany Shuttle). Notice a pattern yet? A Dayglow concert at the Amory, had such a high college student turnout, they caused route shutdowns. The 11,12, and 114 all experienced delays ranging from 20 minutes, to over an hour. The routes didn't actually shut down, but minus well have. Some buses stayed at Collins Circle as long as 45 minutes before being able to depart. At about 6PM, CDTA finally doubled and even tripled up buses on those routes. Because it was the end of rush hour, they had to take buses from other routes. This in turn, caused massive delays (ranging from 15 minutes to an hour) on many other routes. As more buses become avaliable, the 10 will start doubling up on buses.

• 3 weeks later...

Effective Sunday, May 27, 2012, the following service changes will go into effect.

Route # 12 – (Washington Avenue) will have slight schedule changes to maintain on time performance and schedule reliability.

Route #82 – (Troy-Cohoes-Green Island) will have minor schedule changes to accommodate better transfer connections with-in Cohoes and Troy.

Route #114 – (Madison/Washington)will have minor schedule changes, reducing service frequency from 30 minutes to 35 minutes during the day.

Route #530 – (Rotterdam Square Mall Express)will have a schedule change based on customer requests. The 4:15pmwestbound trip will now depart at 4:10pm to better connect with work schedules.

Route #63 (Albany – Schenectady) will have a slight service change with the westbound 7:50am trip to leave at 7:40am to improve service reliability.

Route #353 (Scotia – Mt. Pleasant)will have minor schedule changes to offer better connections at Liberty Park.

The following routes will be eliminated due to low ridership:

Route #232 – (Hampton Manor)service will no longer operate. Alternative transportation options include taking Route #233 on Route 9/20 and Route # 214 at Defreestville Park-n-Ride lot and Walmart/Target.

Route #432 – (Mechanicville/Troy)servicewill no longer operate. Alternative transportation options include taking Route #29 orRoute #82 in Cohoes or Route #85 in Waterford. Customers may wish to consider the vanpool program as an alternative. Vanpool costs can be subsidized. Interested customer can visit

www.ipool2.net/vanpool.html for more information.

Routes #810 – (Bern-Knox): #812 (Rensselaerville); and #870 – (Saratoga County Shuttle) will no longer operate. Riders are encouraged to contact the Albany County and Saratoga County Aging Departments to find out if they are eligible to receive transportation services through their programs.

• 4 months later...

Route #90 (Crossgates/UAlbany/Latham/Troy/RPI) Will be discontinued due to low ridership.

Route #21 (Altamont Shuttle) Will be discontinued due to low ridership.

All Flex Service Routes (#610/#611/#612), will be discontinued, and replaced by fixed route service along most of the current routes.

Route #29 (Albany/Cohoes Via Route 9) Will be split into two parts; Route #129 (Albany/Latham Via Route 9), and Route #182, (Troy/Cohoes/Latham), and will have a different routing in Cohoes.

Route #82 (Troy/Green Island/Cohoes) Will be replaced by Route #182 (Troy/Cohoes/Latham), and will no longer serve Green Island Industrial Park.

Route #19 (Voorheesville) Will be re-named Route #719 (Altamont/Voorheesville) and will be extended to Altamont

Route #21X (Altamont Express) Will be merged with Route #19 (Voorheesville), and will be re-named Route #719 (Altamont/Voorheesville.) Route #719 Will NOT be providing service on Route 146.

Route #35X (Albany/Troy Express Via I-787) Will be re-named Route #522 (Hudson River Express).

Route #63 (Route 20) will be re-named Route #763 (Albany/Schenectady Via Route 20).

Route #70 (Troy/Schenectady) will be re-named Route #370.

Route #22 (Troy/Albany Via Watervilet) Will be re-named (Troy/Albany Via Route 32), and will get service cut back to every 20 minutes.

Route #10 (Western Ave) Will now be running every 15 minutes, due to growing ridership on the corridor, and to supplement Route #12 (Washington Ave).

NEW ROUTES NOT YET MENTIONED:

Route #117 (Wolf/Shaker) This route is essentially, an fixed route version of the 610, but the 117 will also have select trips go to Beltrone (Senior Housing) Route #117 Will no longer serve ITT Tech or Albany County Nursing Homes.

Route #155 (Suburban Circulator) Starts at Albany International Airport, goes to Albany County Nursing Homes, ITT Tech, then go down Watervilet Shaker Road, followed by New Karner Road, and will then go down New Karner Road to Route 5, where it will go down Route 5 to have a same-stop transfer at New Karner station for Route's #355 and #905. Buses will then go down Karner Road, New Karner Road, and will then make all EX-611/612 stops on Washington Ave Ext. to Crossgates Mall. Route #155 will NOT serve Crossgates Commons, as there is currently a free shuttle, the 12, and 712 that provide service between Crossgates Mall, and Crossgates Commons. The bus will then go down Western Ave to 20 Mall, with select trips also going to Corporate Circle, and Our Lady Of Life Mercy Center.

Route #190 (Fuller/Wolf) Will start at Latham Farms, will then go around to Latham Center, where it will go down Wade Road. The bus will then go down Old Wolf Road, and Wolf Road, to Colonie Center. After Colonie Center, the bus will continue down Central Ave, Fuller Road, UAlbany Collins Circle, Fuller Road, and Western Ave, to Crossgates Mall.

http://www.cdta.org/news_detail.php?id=203

http://www.cdta.org/uploads/PublicMeetingBrochureAugust2012_Web.pdf

My thoughts:

Route #90: On paper, it seems like a great route, but iv'e ridden it a few times and it was EMPTY. (Well actually, every so often it gets really jam packed). I'm surprised though that a route that once had one of the highest ridership counts in the system (Route #17 Mall Circulator, was what it was called before it was extended to Troy and RPI.), is now getting cut. Actually, now that I think about it, except for Wade Road, the 190 will be running the same route as the 17!

Route #21: Not surprised

Flex Service: I still think that overall, it would be cheaper to run the deviant service, because of the vans used instead of actual buses. I think either way they will still have 1-5 people on them.

But I should've seen this coming, after the sever cuts they made to the 611/612 last year.

Route #29: Didn't really see that coming. IMO This whole "two part service" is BS, and is just costing riders more money, and this might discourage riders coming from Mechanicville. Even if deadheading is an issue, they could've split it with Troy.

Route #82: Iv'e never really taken a good look at this bus besides the last stop, but it's replacement seems decent enough.

Route #719(19/21X): I suggested they do this a LONG time ago, seeing how after the buses are merged there still might not be standees, because it can't be cheap to deadhead one diesel 10-20 miles let alone two.

Route #35X: Given the cuts on the 22, I am not surprised service remained the same.

Route #63: It seems like a waste of money to re-brand it, but ok.

Route #70: This should NOT have been re-branded. It goes into Troy and Schenectady, and is considered a "trunk route". The only good reason I could see this re-branding for, is because of the fact that it has hourly headways. But even then, so does the 50, and that wasn't changed during Schenectady Re-Constructing. (Granted, the Schenectady Changes, were primarily made for cuts, but nevertheless)

Route #22: hopefully the buses won't leave the same time as the 522.If they don't, then everything here is fine. (As long as they're ready for standees on a regular basis)

Route #10: Eh, not really needed.

Route #117: See Flex Service

Route #155: See Flex Service

Route #190: See Route #90

Also, here's what I would've done for Flex Service; Combine all of the routes into one bus called the 600. It would start at Our Lady Of Life Mercy Center, go down Route 20, pulling into 20 mall, Corporate Circle, then go up New Karner Road, then turn down Central Ave, keep going down Central to Colonie Station/Center where it would follow the 610. In this scenario the 114 would be extended down Washington Ave Ext.

Another possible solution I had was to have the 600 start from 20 mall, and have the 10 extended to Our Lady Of Life Mercy Center. (Seeing how the signs still have the 10 on there from the few trips a year or two back.)

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

22 Evening service will be increased from every 30 minutes to every 20 minutes. Saturday service will be increased from every 30 minutes to every 20 minutes. Late night Sunday service will be increased from every 45 minutes to every 30 minutes. PEAK SERVICE WILL NOT BE CUT.

116 Peak service will be cut from every 35 minutes to every 45 minutes. Mid-day service will see a drastic increase of service from 70 minutes, to 45 minutes. The 116 Will also no longer go to Menands, although the exact terminus downtown is currently unknown. The 116 will also be re-named, Green St/Mt Hope Dr.

An extra 6:15PM trip will be added on the 522, and departure times will vary from 35X times.

Peak 10 Service will be cut from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes. Evening service will also be cut from every 20 minutes, to every 30 minutes. Although, late night service will be increased from 60 minutes to 30 minutes. Service on Sunday will also be extended from 8:30PM to 10:30PM.

There will be two new 21X AM trips. There will also be an AM trip added to the 19, and a PM trip added to the 19 and 21X. Trip times for the 719 are not yet determined.

The 370 will have a service increase from every 60 minutes to every 30-45 minutes during peak. Although mid-day service will get cut from every 50 minutes to every 60 minutes. Saturday will also see a service increase from every 75 minutes to 60 minutes. Weekday service will be extended from 10:30PM to Midnight. Saturday service will be extended from 10PM to 11:30PM. Sunday service will also be created running from 9AM-6PM. Sunday service will be hourly.

The 129 will run every 30 minutes during peak times, and will run every hour all other times. Hours of operation (HOO): 6AM-9PM Weekdays, 9AM-6PM Saturdays. Service will also go down Van Rennselear Blvd over the old 116 route.

The 182 will run every 30 minutes during peak times, and will run hourly all other times. HOO: 6AM-11PM Weekdays, 7AM-10:30PM Saturdays, 9AM-6PM.

The 190 will run hourly all times. HOO: 6:30AM-11:15PM Weekdays, 7:30AM-10:30PM Saturdays.

The 117 will run every 45 minutes all times, except peak where it will run every half-hour, and mid-days where it will run hourly. HOO: 6:30AM-11:15PM Weekdays, 6:30AM-8:45PM Saturdays, 6:30AM-6PM Sundays.

The 155 will run every 35 minutes during peak times, and will run every 45 minutes all other times. HOO: 6:30AM-11:15PM Weekdays, 6:30AM-7PM, 10:30PM-11:30PM Saturdays. All trips are expected to go to Corporate Circle.

• 2 weeks later...

CDTA_Home_NewNXResrtucturingNews.jpg

After doing major restructuring in Saratoga, Schenectady, Troy, And Albany, the NX will finally see service changes.

For starters, all Saratoga stops (except for Exit 15 P&R, and Lake & East Aves) have been scrapped, and replaced with three stops located at Congress Park, Lake Ave & Henry St, and Ballston Ave & Fincey St. A new P&R will be built on Geyser Road. The stop names of all NX Stops in Ballston Spa have been changed to their official street name, instead of surrounding landmarks. The NX Stop at Rennselear Amtrak will be discontinued.

The next big thing is new fares, including a new NX Swiper. The NX Swiper, gives you unlimited NX rides for a month, along with unlimited rides on regular CDTA buses too, including Busplus. Altough this does mean that the NX Link Ticket, currently used for a transfer to a local bus will be discontinued.The NX Swiper also includes the Guaranteed Ride Home Program, which states that if you miss the last bus going towards your destination, you will get a free cab ride. Fares themselves have also been restructured. A Zone 1 One-way ticket has dropped $.50 to $4 reversing the fare hike put into to place three years ago. The price of a 10-trip pass will not change, and an NX Swiper for Zone 1 is $110. Zone 2 and 3 have been merged into Zone 2, with a one-way fare being $5, which is $1 cheaper than current prices for Zone 2, and $2.50 (A 33% discount), off of current Zone 3 prices. 10-trip passes will continue to be $39, but this is still a $5 discount off of Zone 3 current prices. An NX Swiper for Zone 2 will be $125. Zone 4 and Zone 5 will be merged into Zone 3. Zone 3 One-way prices will be $7, a $2 difference from current Zone 4 prices, and a $3.50 discount from current Zone 5 prices. 10-trip tickets will be $50, a $3 discount off of current Zone 4 prices, and a $10 Discount off of current Zone 5 prices. An NX Swiper for Zone 3 will be $170.

Schedules have also changed too, mainly with the discontinuation of reverse-peak service. Most trips will have their schedules adjusted by 2-10 minutes, to better connect with work schedules downtown. New changes also include a style change, but you can see that for yourself.

Old Schedule: http://www.cdta.org/uploads/Route540.pdf

New Schedule: http://www.cdta.org/uploads/NXBrochureScheduleEffectiveOctober12012.pdf

http://www.cdta.org/news_detail.php?id=207

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

New schedules have been released, take a look at them here; http://www.cdta.org/iride_projects_detail.php?id=184 (A new 116 schedule has NOT been released yet)

My thoughts:

ONLY ONE TRIP TO CORPORATE CIRCLE!!???? WHAT THE f**k? WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO

Yeah, at the guilderland meeting, people didn't like the fact that corporate circle service was peak-only

WHAT THE HELL? THIS ISN'T EVEN PEAK!! IT'S 6 O DAMN CLOCK IN THE MORNING! HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO GET THERE NOW? NOT TO MENTION, EVEN IF I GET ON THE 6 O'CLOCK BUS I CAN'T GET BACK TILL 3. WHAT THE f**k!?

(Sorry about that, i'm just really pissed because of that)

Also, I couldn't help but notice on the 117, that the prison is only served on weekends, which I find ironic, because IIRC, visiting hours are during the week only. Just another example of the 117 screwing people over.

I have to say, I do like that Watervliet-Delaware Ave run, even though i'll probably just take the 22 instead.

The one thing that stood out to me on the 155 schedule, is the fact that it only has three runs on sunday, and all of them are hours apart. Well it's better than the no sunday service there was before.

The 522 is now going to serve Cohoes, thanks to a certain somebody *cough**cough*

Dat 719 is one long ass route. And it only adds 15 minutes to Altamont commuters, and surprisingly enough the shuttle will still run on Route 146 as part of the 719. I'm also really glad it says it's going to Kiernan Plaza, because the express runs have been going there ever since I got up here, and I can assume they've gone there before then too.

And also the 63 looks nice in commuter colors. (Unfortunately I can't say the same for the 70)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I wouldn't say i'm a "native" but I did move up here about a year and a half ago.

Note: The following are based off of my observations, not official documents, but I may be able to talk to a dispatcher or supervisor about this if you would like.

The main improvements iv'e noticed came with Routes #100 and #114. Route #100 provided areas like Quail St, and Morton Ave with service, and also gave all of the areas it serves good weekend service and late night service. (Most buses stop running at around 10-11, but the 100 runs until 1AM, and most buses on the weekend only run every 45 minutes, but the 100 runs every 30, even on Sundays, which still has earlier and later service than most buses.) Route #100 also provides loop service, which is needed. Route #114 has provided Madison Ave with an abundance of service, and has also provided better connections for Madison Ave aswell. Route #114 runs every 35 minutes, from about 7 to Midnight, and now provides Madison Ave with service to UAlbany, and Crossgates, the Price Chopper, and movie theater on Madison, (there was previously only limited service to those two destinations) while providing not just Madison Ave, but all of Albany with service to the train station in Rennselear.(The only previous service to the train station was from Rennselear, and Downtown Albany.) I would also say increased frequency on Routes #6,10, and 22 were good too.

Downsides would have to be that now for some trips you have to transfer, while before you only had to take one bus, which sucks, because there are no free or discounted transfers. (Which is why I generally communicate with CDTA over the phone now, because my one seat ride is gone now)

More?

What have they said to you and what transfers are you referring to? Are you close with any supervisors?

Question 1: Nothing, but I said I can ask. (Well, actually they did say that ridership levels have increased greatly since the changes)

Question 2; Not really sure how to answer this one (not because of how you worded it), but if I were to go from say Delaware & Mona, to Whitehall & Elbel, instead of just being able to take one bus, I would have to take two. (I'd say well over half of the routes got discontinued with re-construction)

Question 3: I guess I could say yes to a few.

I think the 116 should be eliminated with a rerouted 7. The 100 is good because It enhances the 9 and widens the area of the 3 drastically and 114 is highly an improvment. The 125 is just a shifted 2 over to Clinton It has the same ridership and levels of service and the 138 is pretty decent the combination was a benefit to Arbor Hill, originally It was suppose to cover the 116 area on Green ans 4th but there wasn't enough time to build It in the schedule so It got cut back to Greyhound. The 10 wasn't really an improvement they are slimming the

10 with 11 and 12 to prepare for the upcoming BusPlus which will serve both cooridors, which might eliminate the 719 from Crossgates when Implemented.

Also do you know any of the names of the supervisors are they cool enough to conversate with?

I do know the names of some supervisors, but i'd rather not give them out, and I can't really answer the second.

I agree with you about the 116/7 change. It's not fair to not give Mount Hope Dr riders any weekend service without having to loop through Glenmont, and Green St ridership is just about 0, and Pearl St is a block away, so I don't think it's the end of the world for that. (The only problem is that the 7 might be too crowded, because Mt Hope gets significant ridership, but i'm not too sure about the 7's peak ridership levels.) Oh and one more problem, you have to do something with the northern end of the 116, because that end gets pretty good ridership in the peak direction.(The 129 might fix this problem, but i'm not sure yet) If it came down to it, I would rather have the 100 than the 9, but I think we should keep both. I've been meaning to talk to CDTA about this, because the 9 and 100 don't really serve the same areas. The 9 served Eagle, Delaware, Whitehall, Cardinal, Woodlawn, Partidge/Ontario, and Western, while the 100 only does Morton, New Scotland, and Quail. (Sorry if these street names don't make any sense to you), and the 9 had a significant amount of ridership, almost as high as the 100! Regarding BusPlus on the 10/12, I talked to CDTA about this, I don't think the 10 should get BusPlus, because unlike the 12, the majority of riders are going to their homes off of Western, and there isn't really a selection of say ten stops everybody gets on/off at. The 12 tough on the other hand, is a good candidate for BusPlus.

The 129 is dead on Van Rensselaer, that's why I say cut It because if you leave the 129 you got the 22 on Broadway and the 6, 7, and 100 on Pearl. Back in the day the 3 and 9 ran every 20 minutes and 7 days but nobody rode It. I live in Albany and work with CDTA thats why I'm asking all this to get public feedback.