The Official CDTA thread

Harry

I wonder, why can't they extend the 1 from Colonie to Albany Intl Airport on Sundays (every run) instead of having that AM 117 run just there. Every other bus could go to the airport, with the last bus leaving Albany Bus Terminal at 8:05 PM (arrivng at 8:49 PM). This trip would go back at 9:05 PM (arrving at 9:55 PM in Albany).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder, why can't they extend the 1 from Colonie to Albany Intl Airport on Sundays (every run) instead of having that AM 117 run just there. Every other bus could go to the airport, with the last bus leaving Albany Bus Terminal at 8:05 PM (arrivng at 8:49 PM). This trip would go back at 9:05 PM (arrving at 9:55 PM in Albany).

The 610 ran hourly service on sundays, and then got improved to 45 minutes, so i'm not quite sure what happened there? I checked the route performance reports from years prior, nothing was ever mentioned. Also for the record, the 155 runs there three times a day on sundays, at 6, 2, and 10. 

I saw on the CPTDB Wiki that there are two order for Gillig 40' buses (4 HEV and 16 clean diesel) due for October 2013. Have they been delivered and what fleet numbers do they carry? I'm thinking of doing the 4-plus hour drive down from Montreal to Albany for a day of fanning there maybe this summer. Last time I was there, it was for a snack stop and quick walk back in '96 on my way to Cooperstown.

Thanks. :)

I saw on the CPTDB Wiki that there are two order for Gillig 40' buses (4 HEV and 16 clean diesel) due for October 2013. Have they been delivered and what fleet numbers do they carry? I'm thinking of doing the 4-plus hour drive down from Montreal to Albany for a day of fanning there maybe this summer. Last time I was there, it was for a snack stop and quick walk back in '96 on my way to Cooperstown.

Thanks. :)

They are all delivered and in service in Albany. (4093-4113) 

Edited by CDTA

• 6 months later...

The new Gilligs we are getting (the ones that are replacing the LFS's, not the NABI's, 4114+, the bus I was on was 4128 so quite a few are gone) have a different seating layout then the other 40' Gilligs in the fleet, with the seats on the front half of the bus being spread out for much more legroom (yay for tall people) and the wheelchair space now only takes up the front bench and not the row of seats behind it as well. I don't have any pictures as I haven't gotten used to the commute yet, so until then i'm not bringing my cameras. 

Oh, also related, I haven't seen a 30XX LFS in a while, so i'm pretty sure those are all gone, at the very least the schenectady ones are, cause the BRT's and 30's are making appearances on predominantly LFS routes, and we also have quite a few hybrids from Albany now. (Which are running on the 351 now instead of the BRT's  :angry:) When i'm in Albany, I still see a decent number of LFS's though, so if you wanna see em, that's the place to be, and I think most of the LFS's are from '00, so we should have until next year for those.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

As promised, now that I live up here, I'd be happy to provide you guys with updates on what's going on up here.

Here are a few photos from this past summer:

3rd Street and Congress St in Troy, NY

IMG_20180708_134643CDTA-07116.jpg

Blue routes are trunk - they run all week and most frequently. Route 22 operates largely along NY-32.

Green routes are neighborhood - they run every day except Sunday for some. The 182 runs on Sunday, just once every hour. It operates largely along NY-378. I have rode the 224, just not into Troy.

Yellow routes are express. I have not yet rode such a route.

Mohawk Road and Glen Avenue, East [in Scotia]

(reminder - Transit app allows you to search for bus stops and train stations based on their ID)

IMG_20180623_152346.jpg?width=196&height

These two bus stops have one other intersection in common: Rt 50 (North Ballston Av in this area) and Dutch Meadows Lane, and Liberty Park Station (the next and last stop from the above-pictured).

Several charters besides the Northway Express (NX) serve the capital region:

Trailways in Schenectady (no ridership data from me)

MegaBus at Collins Circle - UAlbany and Albany-Amtrak, Parking Lot B. Trips from NYC cost about $17 ($20 for preferred seating)

Greyhound in Albany. Trips from NYC cost about $17. Haven't rode in about 20 years.

• 6 months later...

CDTA has been awarded funding for the River Corridor BusPlus Blue Route, which will complement the 22, 182, and 370 when it opens for business in a few years. The contract is nearly $27 million.

BusPlus Red (905) is the most trafficked route in the system, with 3 million annual riders. The (1blue) comes in second at 1.5 million riders.

More is available in this article.

https://www.masstransitmag.com/bus/infrastructure/news/21075727/us-awards-cdta-269m-for-new-bus-rapid-transit-line

© Mass Transit Mag | story by Eric Anderson | 4/10/2019

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow
proper citation of news story

CDTA is making a bid to annex Montgomery County to the service area. It's a move that's welcomed by the County Executive, State Senator Amedore (49), Assemblyman Santabarbara (111) and numerous employers along Route 5S, including Fulton-Montgomery Community College. Amsterdam, the US House District Seat, is 15 miles from Schenectady to the West.

Montgomery County shuttered its transit authority in April 2018.

https://www.wamc.org/post/montgomery-county-leaders-seek-cdta-service

© WAMC | story by Lucas WIllard | 3/22/2019

• 2 months later...

Quail-WAMC Station, Looking West

IMG_20190419_155430.jpg

BusPlus stations on Route 5 are clearly marked by Red, Silver and Blue pylons with similarly colored bus shelters. The only stop without a shelter is Downtown-Train Station, which uses the Lake Shore Railway underpass.

BusPlus Red has nineteen stops across 17.4 miles. There are dedicated traffic signals at Veeder Avenue (East), New Karner (West), and Colonie (West). BusPlus does not make local stops, but will offer connections to local buses at every stop it does make.

This stop:

1 - Local Trunk - Wolf Road, Colonie via Route 5

712 - Commuter - W. Averill Harriman State Offices or Patroon Creek - no weekend service

905 - BRT - Schenectady - Gateway Plaza

• 4 months later...

CDTA Bus Rider Tip:

If you have a Navigator™ card, your fare floor for all taps (except Route 540) is $1.30.

Use spare change to extend your balance sheet. If you put a quarter in the fare box, your card will only be charged $1.05 for that tap.

Like EasyPay cards, it takes 48 hours for reloads made to your Navigator™ card to materialize. To avoid being left hanging, register your card online so you can activate Auto-Buy, or reload when your balance falls below $5.

• 1 year later...
On 10/11/2021 at 9:32 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it (even though it was last year), but the second BRT line launched (the #922/923): https://www.cdta.org/news/coming-soon-new-brt-line

Always impressed in how much service CDTA can provide compared to the rest of upstate NY.

Specifically looking at you CENTRO in Syracuse

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

CDTA had finally launched the BusPlus Purple Line/Route 910. It runs between Crossgates Mall in Guilderland and the Greyhound Station in Downtown Albany. With the launch of this route, there were also some other changes.

Routes 10 (Western Avenue) and 12 (Washington Avenue) have had their frequencies slightly reduced and Route 10 had some stops eliminated.

Route 712 (Harriman State Office Campus - Patroon Clerk) no longer serves Crossgates Mall or Crossgates Commons but did add four new trips to the schedule)

Route 11 (SUNY Shuttle) and Route 115 (Madison Ave/Western Ave) and Route 523 (Exit 23/McCarty Express) were eliminated.

Route 111 (Western Ave/Fuller Rd) was added and seems to be a replacement for Route 111 between the SUNY Albany Uptown and Downtown Campuses.

Other changes include additional trips to the Vista Technology Campus for Route 13 (New Scotland Ave) and Route 18 (Delaware Ave) and a new stop at Shoppes of Latham Circle on Route 370 (Troy/Schenectady) as well as minor schedule adjustments for Route 905 (BusPlus Red Line) and Route 601 (S. Amsterdam & Route 30).

• 5 weeks later...

With the new year, CDTA has now officially taken over Greater Glens Falls Transit operations.

Here are the routes:

402 (Bay College) - between Ridge St Terminal and SUNY Adirondack

404 (Hudson Falls/Fort Edward) - between Ridge St Terminal in Glens Falls and the Fort Edward Amtrak Station. As a side note, I didn't know there was a Fort Edward Amtrak station.

405 (Moreau/S. Glens Falls) - between Ridge St Terminal, South Glens Falls, and Moreau.

407 (West Glens Falls) - between Ridge St Terminal and West Glens Falls

411 (Glen St/Walmart) - between Ridge St Terminal and Route 9 Walmart