2 From The Port Jefferson Branch

Its fine, it just needs more service, like if they could move it to hourly from 1.5 hours

Good point, hopefully also make sure they double track the entire length and increase operation on the Port Jeff/Huntington. LIRR needs to start at least meeting Metro-North Standards.

Good point, hopefully also make sure they double track the entire length and increase operation on the Port Jeff/Huntington. LIRR needs to start at least meeting Metro-North Standards.

Metro North has much more spare track capacity than the LIRR does, so itll be tough but not impossible.

Metro North has much more spare track capacity than the LIRR does, so itll be tough but not impossible.

Yeah, I understand, but Long Island NIMBYs and Politicians have to understand in investment in tranportation and railroad, I'd say Suffolk is starting to "get it" starting from Huntington and perhaps the entire Port Jeff corridor, however I hope the rest would understand and not resist.

Yeah, I understand, but Long Island NIMBYs and Politicians have to understand in investment in tranportation and railroad, I'd say Suffolk is starting to "get it" starting from Huntington and perhaps the entire Port Jeff corridor, however I hope the rest would understand and not resist.

Personally I havent heard anything about dual tracking the Port Jeff branch, I know theres plans underway to double track the Ronkonkoma branch.

As for the triple tracking for the main line, the biggest opposition is from the villages of new hyde park and garden city from what I heard.

New Hyde Park and Mineola its going to be a tight squeeze, however in many spots along the line there is already 3 tracks, they just need to fix up and connect all those random sidings together that arent used anymore.

I remember reading articles about the opposition in New Hyde Park, the big concern was a lack of parking, if you've ever been to that station the parking is on street up agsinst the track.

I do believe eventually we will have the third track, itll take a lot of deal making to get it to work, especially since the new trend in construction is towards rail projects.

Archived