Your R40 Memories

B3 Via Av U

I always used to take the R40 <Q> to Church Avenue, and the (Q) to Cortelyou, every single day. This was when the (Q)<Q> and (W) were the Broadway Express.

Also when I was much smaller, there was a very nice woman train operator. The train was stopped at 47-50 Sts. I was waiting to take this to Church Avenue to get the (Q). She let me sit in the cab, look ahead at the tracks, and release the break. I can remember her telling me specifically not to mess with the throttle, only push it down straight from its slanted position. Haters can hate, I got pictures to prove it.

I have been in the R40 on the (F)(L)(N)(Q)[R](W), I will never forget those magical rides.

I always used to take the R40 <Q> to Church Avenue, and the (Q) to Cortelyou, every single day. This was when the (Q)<Q> and (W) were the Broadway Express.

Also when I was much smaller, there was a very nice woman train operator. The train was stopped at 47-50 Sts. I was waiting to take this to Church Avenue to get the (Q). She let me sit in the cab, look ahead at the tracks, and release the break. I can remember her telling me specifically not to mess with the throttle, only push it down straight from its slanted position. Haters can hate, I got pictures to prove it.

I have been in the R40 on the (F)(L)(N)(Q)[R](W), I will never forget those magical rides.

Iv'e always wondered, whats the cab like in the R40S's?

Iv'e always wondered, whats the cab like in the R40S's?

19820814793822435571803.jpg

This is me. It is kind of lower than the other trains for one thing. The Break Handle insertion is much bigger than the R68, and the R32, and R62. It is pretty spacious, quite some buttons, and a large slanted window in the front. When I look at this picture, I think about all the fun memories I had on this train. I have never had such a great time on the R40.

One time I went to Coney Island with my family. I begged my mom to take us on the <Q>, which happened to be an R40M. I looked out that window the entire way. One of my fondest train memories, since it was also the first time I went on the Brighton line.

One time I went to Coney Island with my family. I begged my mom to take us on the <Q>, which happened to be an R40M. I looked out that window the entire way. One of my fondest train memories, since it was also the first time I went on the Brighton line.

Makes me think..... The only time iv'e ever went down the Brighton Line was for the 75th Aniversary of the A special. Besides that I might've taken the B down there once but thats it.....

GojiMet86 makes me remember, when I was much smaller, I used to hate riding on the (Q). This is because it had R68s, and I could never see out of the door. I also could not see out of the R40M/R42s, so my aunt had to lift me up sometimes. I could barely see out of the R46s, but the R142s were like heaven to me.

I remember one day, I was coming home, and I had taken a to Church. I was waiting for the (Q), and then an R32 (Q) train pulled up on the track. I recognized it immediately, as I used to ride the (E) a lot back in the day. It was such a great day.

Another day, I was trying to get home on a (Q), and then it was literally hell. There was a sick person on our train, so it was running Express on the Local track. Then there was a track fire at Avenue J, so they changed the (Q) rollsign to an Orange (Q), and that went Express on the Express track. I could not imagine what would come next. And then at Church Avenue, the Station announcer said;

There is a train arriving on the Local track

I thought to myself how reliable the train was, and I was extremely happy knowing that I got to ride in a slant door train to Cortelyou Road. I am sure it went Express after Kings Hwy, but it was quite a day. Looking back at these stories, I can not help but to smile.

I used to hate the R68s for that same reason. I also used to hate the R32s because I was to short for the RFW. Only the R40 could satisfy me.

Also, one of the last times I took an Broadway R32 was on the (Q). It was about two or three years ago.

I used to hate the R68s for that same reason. I also used to hate the R32s because I was to short for the RFW. Only the R40 could satisfy me.

Nothing could beat the R40S RFW's....

Also, one of the last times I took an Broadway R32 was on the (Q). It was about two or three years ago.

Yeah you know it. Thankfully I can see out of all of them perfectly now.

The last time I took a R32 on Broadway was an [R], couple of years ago too. this is when the (V) had 1 or 2 sets on it too.

A good 7 years ago, my mom took an R32 ® to Queens Plaza. She thought it was an (N). In that time, the (N) was mixed R32, R40, an occasional R40M, the rarer R42, and the R68. The ®, as usual, was pretty much R46.

When i was young, I love the R40 on the B West End Line. Love watching the scenery when train go from Fort Hamilton Parkway to 9th Ave in both direction. Also watching it speed thru 4th Ave Express track in both direction. Also what fun is as well when the bridge got shut down on weekend. I couldn't remember why(i think it when they said "The Manhattan Bridge is falling Down.") The R40 B train got rerouted in Manhattan that train went on the F line at West 4 Street and switch over to the Chrystie Street Tunnel then stop on the Williamsburg Bridge and go backward to Broad Street to connect over to the broadway Line to get to 4th Avenue. That was an extra 20 minutes ride for us.

Guest MTA Bus

When I was younger, I used to ride the (W) from 36th Avenue to Queensboro Plaza or 34th St - Hearld Sq. I used to love lookinf out the RFW. The R40 will always be my favorite IND/BMT subway car.

I'm pretty sure I have taken the R40 (N) from Ditmars to Coney Island, in the RFW, many times. No way I could have gone those years without taking one all the way without looking out the window.

I also remember the R40 (W). I always wondered how they put the (W) rollsign when it was introduced.

My memories of the R40s were when I used to ride them on the B. Really liked those RFWs. The first time I rode one was back in 2002 when I went to a field trip to the NY Hall Of Science. When leaving from there, me and a couple of kids took the (7) to Queensboro Plaza and there was an R40 Slant (N) across the platform. The class was going to GC to transfer to the (4) but me and the other guys went to take the (N) to Lexington Avenue. From there we waited for the (4) in order to meet up with the rest of the class. I can say this, that ride via the 60 Street tube was sure fun especially with that R40 going fast. Sidenote: Every IRT train I took that day was R33ML/R36WF.

Archived