Your R40 Memories

B3 Via Av U

Back when I used to live in Brighton Beach, I used to take the Brighton Express (first the orange (Q), then then <Q>, and then the (B)), and I loved the slant on the R40s, except I didn't really like the fact that the doors didn't beep (or whatever sound you want to call it) when they closed. I don't really recall taking them too often on any other lines, though (maybe occasionally on the (Q) local or something when they put them on that line)

• 3 weeks later...

the R40 Slants were my childhood trains. i really miss them. anyone has any idea if there was an R40 Slant (J) or (Z) train?

I've seen photos of R40 slants on the (M), but not one on the (J). The only R40 that seems that have run on the (J) was the R40M, not the slant. But who knows? Perhaps when they were new, some might have run on the (J).

the R40 Slants were my childhood trains. i really miss them. anyone has any idea if there was an R40 Slant (J) or (Z) train?

I was lucky enough to ride an R40 slant on the (J) line,rode it from Marcy Av to Norwood Av.(going to Transit Tech)never saw one ever again.

Seeing the R40`s every day run on the N and W up until about april 2008. After that it was all 160A/B. ):

Going to CIY and seeing all the rollsigns set up for the B.

Watching them breeze over liberty avenue on the A.

Being extremely depressed for weeks after watching the last train on 6/12/09 pass lefferts blvd.

Going to the Queensboro plaza station with a friend in August 2009, we were waiting for the R40M to come on the R or V, we were waiting for 15 minutes, were were saying to eachother, where is thIS R40M? All of the sudden, #4521 comes into the station with the rollsign set up for the V. We caught another 2 sets after that and also took a ride on R32 #3650 on the V. I miss the r40s. What a huge waste of scrapping them.

Yeah. I remember the first day I saw an R160 on the (Q). I thought it was awesome. I see the occasional R68 every now and then on the (Q) and (N), but not as often as I used to. Really don't like the R68s on the (B).

On my first R160 ride, I foamed like crazy and drew up a horrible picture of the FIND, but that was in first grade. Plus, I remember when this weirdo person on the (B) tried to sit on me.

On my first R160 ride, I foamed like crazy and drew up a horrible picture of the FIND, but that was in first grade. Plus, I remember when this weirdo person on the (B) tried to sit on me.

I was used to seeing the R143s on the (L), so when I saw my first R160, I didn't think much of it, especially when they came to the (N). When I saw one on the (W) and then eventually on the (F)(Q), that is when I started to notice them a lot more. I was crazy when I saw one on the (Q). My aunt told me that she had seen some, and when I came to NYC, I saw my first R160 on the (Q) coming around that corner of Beverly Road. When It came into Cortelyou, I can't forget how new and clean it looked.

I was used to seeing the R143s on the (L), so when I saw my first R160, I didn't think much of it, especially when they came to the (N). When I saw one on the (W) and then eventually on the (F)(Q), that is when I started to notice them a lot more. I was crazy when I saw one on the (Q). My aunt told me that she had seen some, and when I came to NYC, I saw my first R160 on the (Q) coming around that corner of Beverly Road. When It came into Cortelyou, I can't forget how new and clean it looked.

I thought the same, too. When they came, to me it was just another train. But then they popped up everywhere and soon the R32, R40, and R68 began disappearing. In fact, I miss the R68 on the (N) and (Q), even though at one point it was all I used to ride to school.

My best memory was of their original interiors, and they were the weird trains I only used to see on the (E). It's hard to fathon people having "nostalgia" of them in GOH form, and running down the Brighton express! (It was a big thing when the first two moved to the (D) in Spring '83).

• 1 month later...

No, disagreed.

This is how I rank them. I think the R160 is the fastest. I put the R68 at the bottom because it is probably I see it on Brighton Express a lot. Everything else is easy to judge from seeing them go full out on the (E)(F) Queens Blvd Express, with the exception of the R143. I judge that from the (L) and (M) trains.

1) R160

2) R40/42

3) R143

4) R32/38

5) R46

6) R68

They were the fastest 'brake handle' trains I operated.. Fast accelerationwith high top end. Always loved the BIG windows of the cab. I had a pic of one as delivered but can't find it now, as usual..If you look on the following link, you can see the Slants though the years with modifications. Just learned that the amazing Raymond Loewy designed the slants! He was responsible for the PRR GG1s & Studebaker Avante.. Very interesting indeed.. I have som pics of the last one I operated in the gallery..

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/R-40_--_R-40M_%28St._Louis_Car%29

They were the fastest 'brake handle' trains I operated.. Fast accelerationwith high top end. Always loved the BIG windows of the cab. I had a pic of one as delivered but can't find it now, as usual..If you look on the following link, you can see the Slants though the years with modifications. Just learned that the amazing Raymond Loewy designed the slants! He was responsible for the PRR GG1s & Studebaker Avante.. Very interesting indeed.. I have som pics of the last one I operated in the gallery..

http://www.nycsubway...(St._Louis_Car)

I saw your pics, and I gotta say the cab is just how I remember it. They forgot to say how they changed the doors and the EXP/LCL sign.

19820814793822435571803.jpg

I noticed in this in this picture; You can tell that the R40S on the right forgot to get a new sliding door. And LMFAO at the T/Os hat. Whenever I see someone wearing that hat, let it be here, or in Call of Duty, I can't help but to laugh.

img_85174.jpg

I will never forget them trains...actually met 2 girlfriends from along the (B) lmao.

I used to love riding them along the (L) every time I had to go to my cousin house on Sutter Av (back before they realigned it). I used to be able to see them turn right from his window.

My greatest memory of them was when the (B) I was on got sent along the West End. Made express stops all the way to Bay Parkway them it went out of service

Archived