MTA Chairman: No. 7 Subway Extension to NJ 'Not Going to Happen in Our Lifetime'

mark1447

MTA chairman Joe Lhota said a proposed extension of the No. 7 train subway line from Manhattan to New Jersey is "not going to happen in our lifetime. It's not going to happen in anybody's lifetime."

Lhota was speaking at a breakfast meeting of the New York Building Congress at the Hilton Hotel in Midtown Manhattan.

He was asked about a trans-Hudson rail connection and what might fill the gap of the ARC Tunnel, a project killed by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie in late 2010.

Lhota said he favors Amtrak's proposed Gateway Tunnel project, which would bring Northeast Corridor trains from New Jersey through a tunnel under the river to an expanded Penn Station.

"I think it's really important to support that," he said.

The impetus for a No. 7 train extension comes from Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who proposed the project last year.

"I've told the mayor this, I can't see that happening in our lifetime," Lhota said.

He added that he understood the project's appeal to some riders.

"Of course, New Jersey would like to have it because they think they can get across the Hudson for $2.25."

But then he reiterated his assessment of a subway to Secaucus: "Not a chance."

Source:

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2012/apr/03/mta-chairman-no-7-subway-extension-nj-not-going-happen-our-lifetime/

This post has been promoted to an article

Guest Lance

Precisely. Now, I could understand if Jersey was putting some money forward for such a project, but from what I've gathered, New York would've footed most, if not all of the bill if the feds didn't get involved while Jersey would benefit from another cheap way to get into New York. I'm not against the idea of having the subway system extend past the city's borders, but I feel that if other parties are going to benefit from these extensions, they should foot their share of the bill.

Archived