R68's fleet Questions?

Keon Milton

Continuing from above, by linking the cars into 4-car sets, less parts are needed which keeps maintenance costs down. The A cars can have certain components while the B cars can have other components needed.

G had an A-B-B-A_A-A set. A-A pairs could always be linked together as an A-A-A-A set.

As for the R46s and if they are moved to SI: the R46s would likely have to be split into individual cars because SI has 5-car trains for rush hours and at night 2-car trains. That is why if SI gets second hand cars, it should be R68s as they have 9 singles that could be added to a train to make it 5 cars and can run at night for 2-car trains. THat plus you save on costs of having to move the R46s after maybe 4-5 years. R68s have at least 10-15 years to go, if not more,

They could get the R46 AA pairs and when they re-renovate the whole S line again, they should extend all platforms to hold a 300' train and that would allow them to run a 4-car R68/a set from CI. When the R68s are gone, I highly doubt* the MTA is going to order an oddball fleet just so the S can still run 150' car trains.

*but being the MTA, anything is possible, especially shortsighted thinking.

The MTA, in my opinion, will order special cars for the FS. But it may be part of a bigger order, most likely the R68s replacement. Do you think the Shuttle platforms can hold 3 60 foot cars? Botanic Garden and Prospect Park has the room, what about Park and Franklin?

I didn't think there were enough AA pairs for that.

The current S has 9 singles or 4 'pairs' and an extra car, there should be more than enough R46 AA pairs for it.

Park fits the length of the block, which is about 260 feet. building line to building line.

But wasn't the old station a full length platform or long enough for 300' trains? Either way, it hampers flexibility if that S has to run 150' or 180' trains.

So then if Franklin can fit 3 60 foot cars, the MTA may order some triplets for the FS within a future car order. Again, my thoughts.

Sadly, I won't be surprised that happens. But I still think the MTA should 'think outside the box' and extend all the platforms to 300' lengths and allow for a 300' train to use those stations. That way no more AA pairs or even AbA sets. The shuttle can still run R68s, just 4-car trains.

Because singles are more expensive to maintain and getting ride of the 32s and 42s are at the top of their bucket list?

The original order to retire the cars was 290, those 290 cars will still go to the R32/42's, i'm only taking out ten.

But the shuttle really doesn't need 4/5 car trains though...

I know it doesn't, but at least with a 300' train the shuttle can always borrow a train from CI. Eventually there won't be any single unit cars around based on these new car orders. It won't make sense to break up another 5-car train if the S's trains have problems and they don't have any spares. This renovation will be the last chance to fix a 'problem' done by cutting corners in the past.

Ideally even the TS S (when the TS end ever gets renovated), they will run 5-car trains.

The current S has 9 singles or 4 'pairs' and an extra car, there should be more than enough R46 AA pairs for it.

But wasn't the old station a full length platform or long enough for 300' trains? Either way, it hampers flexibility if that S has to run 150' or 180' trains.

Sadly, I won't be surprised that happens. But I still think the MTA should 'think outside the box' and extend all the platforms to 300' lengths and allow for a 300' train to use those stations. That way no more AA pairs or even AbA sets. The shuttle can still run R68s, just 4-car trains.

Or anything else in its current rolling stock for that matter. But it won't be soon as the shuttle cars are lightly worked in comparison to the rest of the fleet. The R46 won't be around longer than the R68, which has another 20 years in them or so (TA will try for that, anyway). I actually think the last of the R68's to go when that time goes are exactly those that run on the shuttle.

That is true. In a sense, it depends on what SI gets. If it's the R46s, I could see them getting the AA pairs. If it's the R68s, they could use those single cars and add them to the end of a 4-car train and run it as a 5 car train and late nights run the singles as AA sets.

I still hope the MTA will extend the shuttle platforms to 300' lengths.

Archived