MCI / D4000ISTV 2007-2012

MCI / D4005 2007-2012

MCI / D4500 2007-2012

MCI / D4505 2007-2012

MCI / E4500 2003 2007-2012

MCI / J4500 2003 2007-2012

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 11V524000

Summary:

MOTOR COACH INDUSTRIES (MCI) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2003, AND 2007-2012 E AND J MODELS ALONG WITH MODEL YEAR 2007-2012 D4000, D4005, D4500, D4505, D4000ISTV MOTOR COACHES EQUIPPED WITH MERITOR WABCO ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC) MODULES, MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 2002, THROUGH OCTOBER 2011. UNDER CERTAIN ROAD AND DRIVING CONDITIONS, VEHICLE BODY ROLL AND ROAD INCLINATION CHARACTERISTICS MAY ADVERSELY AFFECT THE SLIP ANGLE CALCULATION OF THE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC) SYSTEM. THIS MIGHT CAUSE THE ESC TO PERCEIVE AN OVER STEERING SITUATION AND THEREFORE APPLY THE OUTER WHEEL BRAKE ON THE FRONT AXLE UNTIL THE VEHICLE IS PERCEIVED TO BE STABLE.

Consequence:

IF THE DRIVER IS SLOW TO REACT DURING THIS ESC INTERVENTION, THE VEHICLE MAY DEVIATE FROM THE INTENDED LINE OF TRAVEL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

MCI WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE CONTROL MODULE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 4, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MCI CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-241-2947.

Notes:

MCI SAFETY RECALL NUMBER IS 371. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

--- http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsummary.cfm?rcl_campaign_id=11V524000&prod_id=668782&moduletype=VEHICLE&make=MCI&model=D4500&veh_model_year=2009&searchtype=DrillDown

Since it's MTA Bus there won't be any artics. I hope you end up on a ORION V or RTS, you'll be really happy on one of those!

sigh....

It wouldn't matter if its MTA Bus or NYC Bus, they'd still send buses over. But take note that buses will get fixed in tiny groups, not a whole load getting fixed at once.

sigh....

It wouldn't matter if its MTA Bus or NYC Bus, they'd still send buses over. But take note that buses will get fixed in tiny groups, not a whole load getting fixed at once.

I still remember back in 2006 or 2007 seeing an old Orion running on the X16 with those dirty cushioned seats and I cringed. I basically let that one passed and waited for the next one which was an MCI. B)

sigh....

If they send buses over, they sure aren't gonna be artics. What, (MTA) is gonna train Bus Co. operators for artics when they'll only be in their depots until the MCIs are fixed? They have transit-style seating anyway, I doubt the (MTA) would put anything with transit style seating on one of the expresses, plus if they did we'd have to hear it from VG8. If there aren't enough MCIs, the only other buses I see going on any express route are the suburban Orion Vs.

If they send buses over, they sure aren't gonna be artics. What, (MTA) is gonna train Bus Co. operators for artics when they'll only be in their depots until the MCIs are fixed? They have transit-style seating anyway, I doubt the (MTA) would put anything with transit style seating on one of the expresses, plus if they did we'd have to hear it from VG8. If there aren't enough MCIs, the only other buses I see going on any express route are the suburban Orion Vs.

What's your point, we've had transit-style seated buses on express runs, that wouldn't make much of a difference.....we've had NGs on S.I Express routes when there was a major shortage out at S.I and NGs on the x90. Plus they most likely wont send buses over anyway because it won't be a lot of buses going OOS all at once so I don't know why you are getting all hopped up on the idea...

Plus even if they did, they most likely WON'T be artics since a majority of them will be retired anyway...they'll be even more of an artic shortage than we have right now! You can doubt the MTA for not sending anything with regular transit seats...but they've done it before, I wouldn't doubt that if I were you...

Video of NG 3914 on the x90

What's your point, we've had transit-style seated buses on express runs, that wouldn't make much of a difference.....we've had NGs on S.I Express routes when there was a major shortage out at S.I and NGs on the x90. Plus they most likely wont send buses over anyway because it won't be a lot of buses going OOS all at once so I don't know why you are getting all hopped up on the idea...

Plus even if they did, they most likely WON'T be artics since a majority of them will be retired anyway...they'll be even more of an artic shortage than we have right now! You can doubt the MTA for not sending anything with regular transit seats...but they've done it before, I wouldn't doubt that if I were you...

Damn, I completely forgot that the TA operates express buses too. I still can't imagine how people would feel about transit-style seating on an express. The X90 wasn't a multi-borough route, so I can understand RTSes or O7s on that, but here we're talking multi-borough routes, some rather long, that are gonna be affected by this shortage. If they put buses with transit-style seating on them, I'm sure the MTA is gonna get a ton of complaints. As much as I'd love to see VG8 have to sit on a transit bus on "his" Riverdale express ride home, putting transit buses on long express routes is not gonna make people happy.

Yeah my comment was more of a sarcastic one, but if they're going to put regular buses for our express bus rides then they should give us a discount. Charging $5.50 for those hard seats is a total rip off, not to mention that many of us will be cranky since we won't be able to nap and such as usual. Some lady in front of me this morning on the BxM1 was snoring like crazy. I got on at 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway and she was already on the bus and was still on the bus at 42nd and Lex. when I got off.

Calm down guys!

You probably will not see any of the local fleet on express if MTA Bus.The fix for this can be done overnight and to be honest unless you are throwing the bus around curves you will never get the ESC to kick in. I will admit that the ESC on the 2010-2011 D4505s is a bit touchy....even going over a bump hard enough will make it kick in, and with the way it cuts power to the drive wheel I could see how somebody can lose control.

...goes to show you, things like stability control and abs aren't needed on a bus. Most likely It's a couple of modules and sensors that they will have to change on each bus. Depending on where they are located in the bus, it shouldn't take more than a halt hour per bus to fix. This is not gonna be as big of a deal as most people are thinking.

Yeah my comment was more of a sarcastic one, but if they're going to put regular buses for our express bus rides then they should give us a discount. Charging $5.50 for those hard seats is a total rip off, not to mention that many of us will be cranky since we won't be able to nap and such as usual. Some lady in front of me this morning on the BxM1 was snoring like crazy. I got on at 239th and Henry Hudson Parkway and she was already on the bus and was still on the bus at 42nd and Lex. when I got off.

Oh no, you didn't get thirty minutes of sleep... the world is over for you and you express bus riders who are on a higher echelon of life than us... not.

Oh no, you didn't get thirty minutes of sleep... the world is over for you and you express bus riders who are on a higher echelon of life than us... not.

Oh here we go again with your accusations of elitism... What does taking a nap have to do with being an elitist? Nothing, so give it a rest already. I'm sure there are folks on your "precious" LIRR trains that would be just as cranky if they couldn't get their nap on the train.

Oh here we go again with your accusations of elitism... What does taking a nap have to do with being an elitist? Nothing, so give it a rest already. I'm sure there are folks on your "precious" LIRR trains that would be just as cranky if they couldn't get their nap on the train.

It isn't an accusation if it's true. Dohohohoho

People take naps on local buses as well, IDK why people are acting like its not possible to take a nap on a Local Bus.

I have dosed off on the B8 (Old C40LFs) plenty of times.

I seen people fall asleep on the subway as well.

That "I won't be able to take a nap on a local bus" excuse is so silly.

People take naps on local buses as well, IDK why people are acting like its not possible to take a nap on a Local Bus.

I have dosed off on the B8 (Old C40LFs) plenty of times.

I seen people fall asleep on the subway as well.

That "I won't be able to take a nap on a local bus" excuse is so silly.

It isn't silly at all. Try taking a nap on those old Orions with the seats that fell like bricks. I tried and got off of the BM3 with a stiff neck.

Awwwwww what's wong, you didn't take your pwecious nappie-boo????

DEAL WITH IT!!! A bus is not meant for sleeping, that's what your bed is for.

I can't decide what's better, your post or Joel's. Shouldn't have used up my thanks for today thanking people who don't like NABIs :(

I can't decide what's better, your post or Joel's. Shouldn't have used up my thanks for today thanking people who don't like NABIs :(

Hey, I had to say something, cuz it gets annoying after some time. I just hate it when people have to b!tch and whine to oblivion about friggin' buses. RTS' is "God", express buses "the only way to go", hard seats is a ripoff for $5.50, I woke up with a stiff neck cuz I didn't have a soft seat to take my precious nap on...seriously, do people have anything better to do than gripe about damn buses?

Archived