Interesting finds and some SI pictures

UlmerPark B6

It was 7/2/08 while I was in SI. I was on the S79 heading back to Brooklyn.

As soon as I got on the bus, I noticed that the seating was different.

Bus #6329:

015.jpg

The seating was padded on top and fiberglass on bottom:

013.jpg

014.jpg

Then when i got home i saw a TMC RTS on B6 but with B3 destination sign allover: (Not the best quality)

021-1.jpg

And here are the rest:

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Comments are welcome:)

Nice what depot where the MCI pics taken at?

Also what depot maintains 9426? The bumper on that bus is all messed up lol.

The MCI belonged to Yukon Dept but was parked in the express bus parking center at Eltingiville Transit Center. It was taken at the Transit Center.

And the 9426 was operating on S79 of Yukon.

The MCI belonged to Yukon Dept but was parked in the express bus parking center at Eltingiville Transit Center. It was taken at the Transit Center.

And the 9426 was operating on S79 of Yukon.

Oh ok thanks. Wow it looks like everyone was right about the crappy maintence of SI depots. That poor RTS it should come back home to brooklyn. :P

Yo can anyone answer why the seats were like that?

Because that bus was in the process of getting level II....

Oh ok thanks. Wow it looks like everyone was right about the crappy maintence of SI depots. That poor RTS it should come back home to brooklyn. :P

Because that bus was in the process of getting level II....

no it was already level II

Maybe they didn't finsh doing over the seats yet. Quite a few SI orion V's have seats like that.

Some Gun Hill O5 Level IIs have this also. However the plastic seat covers are completely different units from the carpet seat covers. They don't just take a plastic and cover it with carpeting. For the carpet inserts they actually have a metal piece that conforms to the shape of the seat, and carpeting is wrapped around the metal piece and bolted to the metal at its corners. Then the assembly is attached to the frame of the seat at the frame's corners (I think there are tabs on the frame at these corners to screw/bolt the cover in).

A plastic seat cover is just the plastic on its own I think and it's attached to the frame of the seat at the frame's corner's as well.

In short I think the plastic on those few 6xxxs is there to stay, unless they're actually going to go through the process of removing the plastic inserts and putting in the carpet-on-metal inserts. I don't know if they would but I don't think it's likely. Maybe they just ran out of carpet inserts.

Not really as that's just one Nova out of plenty at Yukon. About 80% of Yukon's Nova fleet is overhauled and white-backed and in very excellent condition. SI's fleet condition isn't crappy like it used to be anymore, but the service still sucks.

And when it comes to the half-carpet, half-plastic seating, it's been like that since August of last year. Yukon has more O5s like this than CAS, and it seems as though it's much easier for them to keep clean.

Here's a shot of CAS 6216

img00040oc1.jpg

And YUK's 6289

img00037qa6.jpg

Archived