Possible Problems For A Ton Of Mci's, Including The 7100's And Some Of The 8000's

SirJokaPlaya

ORIGINALLY POSTED ON BUSCHAT by Gold_12th on 4/4/12:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):

MCI / D4000 2007-2012

MCI / D4000ISTV 2007-2012

MCI / D4005 2007-2012

MCI / D4500 2007-2012

MCI / D4505 2007-2012

MCI / E4500 2003 2007-2012

MCI / J4500 2003 2007-2012

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 11V524000

Summary:

MOTOR COACH INDUSTRIES (MCI) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2003, AND 2007-2012 E AND J MODELS ALONG WITH MODEL YEAR 2007-2012 D4000, D4005, D4500, D4505, D4000ISTV MOTOR COACHES EQUIPPED WITH MERITOR WABCO ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC) MODULES, MANUFACTURED FROM OCTOBER 2002, THROUGH OCTOBER 2011. UNDER CERTAIN ROAD AND DRIVING CONDITIONS, VEHICLE BODY ROLL AND ROAD INCLINATION CHARACTERISTICS MAY ADVERSELY AFFECT THE SLIP ANGLE CALCULATION OF THE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC) SYSTEM. THIS MIGHT CAUSE THE ESC TO PERCEIVE AN OVER STEERING SITUATION AND THEREFORE APPLY THE OUTER WHEEL BRAKE ON THE FRONT AXLE UNTIL THE VEHICLE IS PERCEIVED TO BE STABLE.

Consequence:

IF THE DRIVER IS SLOW TO REACT DURING THIS ESC INTERVENTION, THE VEHICLE MAY DEVIATE FROM THE INTENDED LINE OF TRAVEL, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

MCI WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE CONTROL MODULE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 4, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MCI CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-241-2947.

Notes:

MCI SAFETY RECALL NUMBER IS 371. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

I remember that some of the Howell drivers do not like the 7100's that they received since the steering was rather rough and needed some strength to do some turns. Funny that the 7100's that Meadowlands had, they were BEAUTIFUL. Still, this might be a issue for NJ Transit.

I thought something felt diff on those cts but couldnt pin point it....The steering is rather shady, but what is njt gona do; a mass of buses and service might be affected.

The steering on the 2008 and newer Ds is tighter. You do have to use more upper body strength to make turns. I was told MCI did that on purpose because of complaints that the steering was too loose/sensitive on the earlier Ds. Now that I'm primarily in a newer 4505 I don't notice the difference but on the occasion that I get a older DL3/4500 I'm all over the road until I get used to the more sensitive steering.

The ESC problem has nothing really to do with the steering....it cuts the power to the drive wheels when it senses that the bus is going "out of limits". The problem is that the ESC is way to sensitive. It's a quick reprogram and one that I'm happy to see happen

Lol i thought i was trippen...those cts a couple turns im like why the hell this wheel not turning fast enough. It didnt even come to me that it was tighter lol.

When we first got our 2010 4505s my shoulders would kill me after driving one. Like I said though now I'm used to it, when I drive one of the older buses all I can think is "This steering is sloppy as hell!"

As far as the Howell drivers bitching about 7101-7118, they have bitched about those buses since the day they came in. They got some of NJT's best equipment in that garage and they are never happy. Although I do smile because I think they got their DriveCam's.....they're not driving like a**holes anymore!

When we first got our 2010 4505s my shoulders would kill me after driving one. Like I said though now I'm used to it, when I drive one of the older buses all I can think is "This steering is sloppy as hell!"

As far as the Howell drivers bitching about 7101-7118, they have bitched about those buses since the day they came in. They got some of NJT's best equipment in that garage and they are never happy. Although I do smile because I think they got their DriveCam's.....they're not driving like a**holes anymore!

Well, every bus in NJT will have drivecam by the end of the year. Meadowlands are done, Oradell is being worked on, Greenville is all NABI so they're done, Market Street, Fairview (Their MCI's & Neo's), and Wayne - no idea, and I think all the buses in the Central division (Big Tree, Hilton, Orange, Ironbound) have cameras already. I'm not familiar with South Jersey, so 553 might have to give an answer about if their MCI's are cam'd up already.

I noticed that when we had the Metro B's, the steering was so damning lose, while the Nova A's were a touch tighter, and the MCI's were JUST RIGHT. I don't get why MCI would tighten it more where now, we might have to use more muscle to turn, as if the bus had the power steering turned off.

Some of our buses have the drivecams but not all yet. All of washington twp and newton has em. Well idk if newtons mcis has em but the nabis do.

Wait im lying lol im not sure if 8850-52 or 7802-05 @ washington have em "yet".

BZ Howell drivers are never happy. You can give them 50 brand new D4505s and theyd find something to cry about. Then you get them crying bout the 9000s cause there "somewhat" sluggish and drive nothing like the older 7100s.

BZ Howell drivers are never happy. You can give them 50 brand new D4505s and theyd find something to cry about. Then you get them crying bout the 9000s cause there "somewhat" sluggish and drive nothing like the older 7100s.

It's called the COUNTRY CLUB for a reason. They need to get "Caddyshacked" in the worse way sometimes. lol

• 1 month later...

Archived