Broadway Line Transfer Ideas

CDTA

Rector St ® and Wall St (4)(5)

Prince St (N) ® and Brodway-Laffeyete (B)(D)(F)(M)

8th St (N) ® Astor Pl (6)

Queens Plaza And Queensboro Plaza

7th Ave to either Grand Army Plaza, or adding a seperate stop for 7th Ave

A Queensboro plaza connection makes sense, but I don't know how that's going to be done from a construction point of view. I believe the first entrance to the underground station occurs a block or so from the elevated line--but I am sure some clever engineering could take care of that.

Such a connection would give much more flexibility when there's track work being done or there's an emergency.

When the 7 train can't go into Manhattan, they would have access to the 6th and 8th av lines and another Broadway line connection with the R train. A person who is coming from Queens going to Astoria wouldn't have to backtrack into Manhattan anymore.

I also like the idea of having the E and 7 trains having another transfer point.

The Prince Street connection also makes a lot of sense too--it might divert people from 34th st.

The Rector st makes tons of sense, butI wouldn't want for selfish reasons: people will start to realize that the R train essentially mirrors the Lex line in Manhattan under 23rd street--and there goes my quiet uncrowded rides lol!

I also like the idea of having the E and 7 trains having another transfer point.

So you think they should spend a ton of money, after all that time they just spent on Court Square?

Many of these transfers mirror others nearby. or provide connections to parralel lines. Transfers are really only nessisary at points where the lines diverge from each other. Between 14th street and Borough Hall, the Broadway BMT and the East Side IRT are a stones throw from each other. Some of the recently installed transfers are things that should have been done ages ago, but they never had the time or moeny. They can make sense, the problem is some of these listed here are "building for the sake of building."

Connecting Jay to Lawrence made sense, as before there was no connection between the IND and the other two divisions within Downtown Brooklyn. Connecting 8th street to Astor, when there is a transfer at 14th, is a waste of money.

So you think they should spend a ton of money, after all that time they just spent on Court Square?

Many of these transfers mirror others nearby. or provide connections to parralel lines. Transfers are really only nessisary at points where the lines diverge from each other. Between 14th street and Borough Hall, the Broadway BMT and the East Side IRT are a stones throw from each other. Some of the recently installed transfers are things that should have been done ages ago, but they never had the time or moeny. They can make sense, the problem is some of these listed here are "building for the sake of building."

Connecting Jay to Lawrence made sense, as before there was no connection between the IND and the other two divisions within Downtown Brooklyn. Connecting 8th street to Astor, when there is a transfer at 14th, is a waste of money.

The Rector St platform is literally on top of the Wall St one. For that one all they need is a staircase.

A Queensboro plaza connection makes sense, but I don't know how that's going to be done from a construction point of view. I believe the first entrance to the underground station occurs a block or so from the elevated line--but I am sure some clever engineering could take care of that.

Such a connection would give much more flexibility when there's track work being done or there's an emergency.

When the 7 train can't go into Manhattan, they would have access to the 6th and 8th av lines and another Broadway line connection with the R train. A person who is coming from Queens going to Astoria wouldn't have to backtrack into Manhattan anymore.

Thanks.

The Prince Street connection also makes a lot of sense too--it might divert people from 34th st.

The Rector st makes tons of sense, butI wouldn't want for selfish reasons: people will start to realize that the R train essentially mirrors the Lex line in Manhattan under 23rd street--and there goes my quiet uncrowded rides lol!

The R not crowded downtown? Don't make me laugh.

Besides, don't forget;

"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or one." -Mr. Spock

Guest Lance

You can build transfers simply for the sake of building transfers or because the stations are close to each other. Not with a 100+ year old system. Besides, making transfers between the Broadway line and the Lexington Avenue line at 8 St-NYU/Astor Pl. Bleecker St/Prince St and Rector St/Wall St would be a very expensive, very redundant project. There are already transfers between the two lines at the points where they diverge from each other at 14 St-Union Sq in Manhattan and Court St/Borough Hall in Brooklyn. Between those two stations, the two line parallel each other about a block apart, so none of those transfer connections you suggested would get much use because either line would lead to riders' destinations. Same thing applies to your 7 Av/Grand Army Plaza idea. The Atlantic-Pacific complex is one station away on the former and two on the latter. Use that transfer.

I will give you Queens Plaza/Queensboro Plaza, but I imagine that would be an enormous project considering the area.

The only place in the system where its even debatable for a common sense transfer is Livonia Av @ Junius St for the 3 and L. The TA tossed that idea around last year and ultimately rejected it at that time. That idea falls under the premise that while parallel, the Fulton and Eastern Pkwy lines are far enough apart to not consider them redundant services for the area. It would also speed interboro transfers and would reduce usage on the Bx6. That is all, no place else would money spent be even worthwhile.

Rector St (R) and Wall St (4)(5)

Prince St (N)(R) and Brodway-Laffeyete (B (D)(F)(M)

8th St (N)(R) Astor Pl (6)

I'll take a stab at this:

Bowling Green to Whitehall or connected via South Ferry would be better.

Prince St to Broadway Lafayette, I think it would be more convenient than the 34th st-HS transfer

8th av-Prince, redundant as you have Union Sq just one station north.

QP-QBP, at most needs an OOS MC transfer, I don't see the worth of trying to build a connection b/w both stations.

7th av in Brooklyn, no need when you already have Atlantic-Pacific one station away.

I still don't see why the MTA can't at least establish an OOS transfer between Livonia Av and Junius St. If there's not enough ridership coming in to justify building a physical connection, then the (MTA) logically wouldn't be losing all that much money by instituting an OOS transfer for the few people who are transferring.

Off all of these proposed ideas for buliding a transfer connection CDTA a question is why? Do you have tens of millions of dollars that could be better spent for instance restoring most of the June 2010 Doomsday Cuts i.e restoring rush hour (W) service?

Plus the Lex and Broadway lines between Union Sq. and Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn already has several locations to transfer? Of these suggestion only a transfer between Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza makes sense. And that should be a walking Metrocard Transfer only.

Nice try CDTA but not a good use of precious funding to help riders.

Especially when a lot of these people out in the outer neighborhoods use unlimiteds.

Actually, a lot of people in the outer boroughs use PPR MetroCards. I remember reading some kind of breakdown as to how many people pay by each type of MetroCard at each subway station, and it showed more Unlimited MetroCard usage in Manhattan and the gentrifying areas of Brooklyn and Queens.

If you think about it, in the outer boroughs, there's the chance that you either use the subway to/from work only, so you don't use it enough to make it worth getting an Unlimited, or there's the chance that you can't afford the $104 up front, so you buy PPR MetroCards and try to limit the number of rides you take (i.e. You only use transit if it's too far to walk)

i don't think bowling green and whitehall should be connected. what for? it not necessary. i think these two stop are like 3 - 4 blocks apart.

Plus, you could transfer from the (R) to the (4)(5) at Borough Hall. The only advantage would be for (1) riders, but they could just transfer to the (2)(3). At Rector Street, it's close enough to the (4)(5) that you could just walk it (and it would be quicker than waiting for the (1), taking it to South Ferry, and then walking through a passageway and waiting for the (4)(5).)

But that's the thing: I'm not saying it's a long distance. I'm just saying it's not necessary. I mean, the (1)(2)(3) connect to the (L) at 14th Street through a long passageway, but that's the only way to give 7th Avenue riders access to places along 14th Street (and to a lesser extent, places on the (F) and (M))

I hate to say this. I think we all drop the ball on about these transfer in Lower Manhattan. Did we forget about the Fulton Street Transformation Project? It only like two to three years away.

Queensboro and Queens plaza does make sense. By looking at maps it seem it on top of each other but reality it different. I am not sure how far is closest stairways at both stops is. I can see in rider point of view that they want more available detours especially during the GO

Actually, a lot of people in the outer boroughs use PPR MetroCards. I remember reading some kind of breakdown as to how many people pay by each type of MetroCard at each subway station, and it showed more Unlimited MetroCard usage in Manhattan and the gentrifying areas of Brooklyn and Queens.

If you think about it, in the outer boroughs, there's the chance that you either use the subway to/from work only, so you don't use it enough to make it worth getting an Unlimited, or there's the chance that you can't afford the $104 up front, so you buy PPR MetroCards and try to limit the number of rides you take (i.e. You only use transit if it's too far to walk)

Its probably the latter, the unlimited usage has dropped as it had become priced out of the budget of the lower and working classes. When it was in the low 80s it was a good deal, especially being that the economy was better then.

The only one here that makes sense is the Prince Street (R) ( (N) Overnights) station to the Broadway-Lafayette (B)(D)(F)(M) station and the Bleecker Street (6) ( (4) Overnights) station, especially with the transfer on the uptown part of Bleecker Street on the (6) opening soon and even more so if it can include additional exits north on Broadway between Houston and Bleecker, which would benefit NYU. It would allow those looking to get the (R) specifically from the (6) to make that transfer at Bleecker rather than at Union Square and also allow for a transfer between the 6th Avenue and Broadway Lines south of 34th Street.

The other two transfers are redundant and unecessary.

Archived