Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

An e-mail I recently received got me to thinking.... It involves the B24.

To sum it up, it's from a Greenpoint resident that lurked on this forum, that saw one of the discussions on here about splitting the route.... He thinks my idea (Greenpoint av split) would be "a waste of a bus" & that BM5's idea (diverting a spur of the B43 along Greenpoint av IIRC) "would not be assist for community".... He didn't say anything about the Williamsburg spur, but he does agree that the route should not "do a loop in Sunnyside"..... He then went into some diatribe about the Q39, which had nothing to do with anything AFAIC.... Anyway, the guy's english wasn't all that great, but what I got from it was that he wants to take the Greenpoint spur of the B24, have it stop off at the (7) like it currently does, then head back south to Laurel Hill, to then continue on Laurel Hill to QB, to serve QCM en route to LeFrak City....

While I have seen ideas involving putting buses on Laurel hill (which I personally don't care for), I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt to connect Greenpoint to Woodhaven blvd/QCM... I have to admit that I like the concept, but the street grid between say, 58th st & Grand av, flat out sucks (hell, just look at what the Q18 does to serve that pocket of Queens).... The LeFrak part of his suggestion, I'm dismissing as nothing more than the guy having family and/or friends there (although there is a melting pot of nationalities that live in there)....

So what say you? If the B24 were to be split, what should be done with the Greenpoint av spur?

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/24/2017 at 9:17 AM, B35 via Church said:

An e-mail I recently received got me to thinking.... It involves the B24.

To sum it up, it's from a Greenpoint resident that lurked on this forum, that saw one of the discussions on here about splitting the route.... He thinks my idea (Greenpoint av split) would be "a waste of a bus" & that BM5's idea (diverting a spur of the B43 along Greenpoint av IIRC) "would not be assist for community".... He didn't say anything about the Williamsburg spur, but he does agree that the route should not "do a loop in Sunnyside"..... He then went into some diatribe about the Q39, which had nothing to do with anything AFAIC.... Anyway, the guy's english wasn't all that great, but what I got from it was that he wants to take the Greenpoint spur of the B24, have it stop off at the (7) like it currently does, then head back south to Laurel Hill, to then continue on Laurel Hill to QB, to serve QCM en route to LeFrak City....

While I have seen ideas involving putting buses on Laurel hill (which I personally don't care for), I don't think I've ever seen anyone attempt to connect Greenpoint to Woodhaven blvd/QCM... I have to admit that I like the concept, but the street grid between say, 58th st & Grand av, flat out sucks (hell, just look at what the Q18 does to serve that pocket of Queens).... The LeFrak part of his suggestion, I'm dismissing as nothing more than the guy having family and/or friends there (although there is a melting pot of nationalities that live in there)....

So what say you? If the B24 were to be split, what should be done with the Greenpoint av spur?

Greenpoint > Queens Blvd > 65th Pl > Maurice Av > Calamus Av > 83/84 Sts > 57th Av > Queens Blvd > 57th/59th Avs > Junction Blvd, terminating somewhere around Rego Park Center.

• 2 months later...

Would the QM5/6/8 be better off not making stops along Union Tpke that the QM1/7 already serve?  It seems like overkill. It's nice to have so much service along Union Turnpike I'm sure, but the people coming from Glen Oaks already have about 30 minutes of pick ups before they even get to the same part of the line that the QM1 serves.  It would also help to speed things up for off-peak riders since the buses could via the LIE for more of the trip and instead and get off at 188th/Francis Lewis Blvd.

33 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Would the QM5/6/8 be better off not making stops along Union Tpke that the QM1/7 already serve?  It seems like overkill. It's nice to have so much service along Union Turnpike I'm sure, but the people coming from Glen Oaks already have about 30 minutes of pick ups before they even get to the same part of the line that the QM1 serves.  It would also help to speed things up for off-peak riders since the buses could via the LIE for more of the trip and instead and get off at 188th/Francis Lewis Blvd.

Service isn't as frequent along Union Turnpike as you make it sound. Sure rush hour it can be, but off-peak there isn't any QM1. If anything I would add a few Super Express trips during the rush.

48 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

You would need to redistribute the amount of service, which quite frankly too much for the branches, and too little for Union Turnpike, if you were to follow on that plan. 

Personally, I think a revampment of peak hour services should be looked into, because some of those commutes are extremely long to be making all stops. Additionally, having the QM5 and QM6 make stops causes reliability issues because the routes are already picking up a lot of people. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

35 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Service isn't as frequent along Union Turnpike as you make it sound. Sure rush hour it can be, but off-peak there isn't any QM1. If anything I would add a few Super Express trips during the rush.

Would you keep the Super Express trips the same?  Via LIE in the morning and via 36th street to the tunnel and all stops on Union at night?  

25 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Would you keep the Super Express trips the same?  Via LIE in the morning and via 36th street to the tunnel and all stops on Union at night?  

I think you would need to look at ridership patterns. I do know that the 36th and 6th Super Express trips are popular. I however don't think for example that the North Shore Towers would get enough ridership to warrant say a Super Express trips to Lake Success direct.

The route I have here is one that will close some connectivity gaps, and will also serve some areas that are not currently served by any bus service (or any adequate service). Originally I had this route (dubbed the Q78) run between the Astoria Boulevard (N)(W) station, and the Jackson Heights (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) station. There is an industrial portion along the route, before the BQE west turns onto Astoria Boulevard, that isn't served by any bus. The closest bus is the Q18 (in terms of displacement), but the streets are not continuous, and thus one would have to walk to 25th Avenue, and then go down to 30th Avenue to catch the Q18. Either that, or walk from the Q19. The original schedule was to run every 15-20 minutes from 4 AM to 9 AM (weekdays only) and from 2 PM to 6 PM (weekdays only), and every 30 minutes outside those times. The schedule span would be from 4 AM to 11 PM weekdays, 7:30 AM to 10 PM Saturdays, and 9:00 AM to 10 PM Sundays. My issue with that is that I don't know how many non-industrial workers would choose to ride a service like that, which would be a problem. 

I also felt that there should be a way to connect Queens and the Bronx without having to take the train into Manhattan for the Lex. Since this bus already has some highway segments, and would also generally be fast from Jackson Heights to the RFK bridge approach, I was thinking of sending the Q78 somewhere to the Bronx. I have two options in store for this Q78:

Option 1: The Hub (making LTD stops in The Bronx) via 138 Street and Willis Avenue

Option 2: Simpson Street (2)(5)  (making LTD stops in The Bronx via Southern Boulevard

The first option offers more connections, but the second option offers greater coverage. West Farms would have this route. The map link is listed below. Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=16bGHLKMwO2K5EMEB8VXzfopdCIG0bK5h&ll=40.75214092702143%2C-73.89649064137768&z=16

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The route I have here is one that will close some connectivity gaps, and will also serve some areas that are not currently served by any bus service (or any adequate service). Originally I had this route (dubbed the Q78) run between the Astoria Boulevard (N)(W) station, and the Jackson Heights (E)(F)(M)(R)(7) station. There is an industrial portion along the route, before the BQE west turns onto Astoria Boulevard, that isn't served by any bus. The closest bus is the Q18 (in terms of displacement), but the streets are not continuous, and thus one would have to walk to 25th Avenue, and then go down to 30th Avenue to catch the Q18. Either that, or walk from the Q19. The original schedule was to run every 15-20 minutes from 4 AM to 9 AM (weekdays only) and from 2 PM to 6 PM (weekdays only), and every 30 minutes outside those times. The schedule span would be from 4 AM to 11 PM weekdays, 7:30 AM to 10 PM Saturdays, and 9:00 AM to 10 PM Sundays. My issue with that is that I don't know how many non-industrial workers would choose to ride a service like that, which would be a problem. 

I also felt that there should be a way to connect Queens and the Bronx without having to take the train into Manhattan for the Lex. Since this bus already has some highway segments, and would also generally be fast from Jackson Heights to the RFK bridge approach, I was thinking of sending the Q78 somewhere to the Bronx. I have two options in store for this Q78:

Option 1: The Hub (making LTD stops in The Bronx) via 138 Street and Willis Avenue

Option 2: Simpson Street (2)(5)  (making LTD stops in The Bronx via Southern Boulevard

The first option offers more connections, but the second option offers greater coverage. West Farms would have this route. The map link is listed below. Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=16bGHLKMwO2K5EMEB8VXzfopdCIG0bK5h&ll=40.75214092702143%2C-73.89649064137768&z=16

My issue with this route is just how useless I see it being on the Queens end..... The way I see it, connecting the Bronx & Queens via the Triboro in such a fashion I find just as pointless as trying to connect the two boroughs via the Throgs Neck.....

I don't see too many Bronxites willing to use a route like this past Astoria Blvd subway & I don't see too many Queens patrons using this, period..... The most useful part of the entire proposal I see, is the one you chose to hide instead of showcase - and that is your "Bronx Provision 1".... Bx33 usage isn't the greatest of course, but there is a significant chunk of that usage from down over there by St. Ann's & points east, seeking the Concourse buses, or just overall trying to get to the hub..... I'd say that a short turn (or, a short form) of the Bx19 running from Riverbank park to the Mill Brook houses (where the Bx17 terminates, if you're unfamiliar) via St. Ann's would do quite well.... That "Bronx Provision 2" OTOH I see as a non-starter; Longwood patrons are all gunning for the Hub (or Manhattan itself by way of the Bx19) & I don't really see them taking a route that would break off around the Mill Brook houses that'd head to Queens....

I was never fond of filling that gap along Broadway on both sides of the Q18 (which was heavily suggested on RD & subchat back in the day), but at least that would loom more useful to more people than what you have this route doing around the industry surrounding the cemetery over there.... Your route will be fast, but will it be useful?

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

My issue with this route is just how useless I see it being on the Queens end..... The way I see it, connecting the Bronx & Queens via the Triboro in such a fashion I find just as pointless as trying to connect the two boroughs via the Throgs Neck.....

I don't see too many Bronxites willing to use a route like this past Astoria Blvd subway & I don't see too many Queens patrons using this, period..... The most useful part of the entire proposal I see, is the one you chose to hide instead of showcase - and that is your "Bronx Provision 1".... Bx33 usage isn't the greatest of course, but there is a significant chunk of that usage from down over there by St. Ann's & points east, seeking the Concourse buses, or just overall trying to get to the hub..... I'd say that a short turn (or, a short form) of the Bx19 running from Riverbank park to the Mill Brook houses (where the Bx17 terminates, if you're unfamiliar) via St. Ann's would do quite well.... That "Bronx Provision 2" OTOH I see as a non-starter; Longwood patrons are all gunning for the Hub (or Manhattan itself by way of the Bx19) & I don't really see them taking a route that would break off around the Mill Brook houses that'd head to Queens....

I was never fond of filling that gap along Broadway on both sides of the Q18 (which was heavily suggested on RD & subchat back in the day), but at least that would loom more useful to more people than what you have this route doing around the industry surrounding the cemetery over there.... Your route will be fast, but will it be useful?

I kinda figured I would get a response like this. However, I do feel like there is a demand for Queens-Bronx travel. Now, before I made this publicly, I intended for this bus to be a LTD route from Jackson Heights to just Astoria, but then realized the same issue you're addressing (ridership levels within Queens). I initially was thinking of adding stops at Northern Boulevard and 31st Avenue, but I have yet to see a way that doesn't add so much time in either direction.

I'm not making this route solely to serve Queens riders specifically (although whatever amount of people can certainly use it if they please). There are a few reasons I mapped out the route. Besides serving the industrial portion, I also want this route to cater to Bronx-Queens travel as well, in a similar fashion to the Q50. I have seen people transfer from the Manhattan-bound (R) to the (4) or (5) specifically (and have some from the (E) to the (6), although at a much slower rate). Quite frankly, I think that having to take the train and then transfer to the Lex shouldn't be a thing, if there's a faster option. 

I also have thought about having that route follow the "Bronx Provision 1" routing, and then run up to Fordham Plaza, via 3rd Avenue (making LTD stops). However, this would not replace the existing Bx15 LTD (it would be additional service). Such a route doesn't necessarily have to end at Fordham Plaza, but a route going up through those areas of The Bronx could work. 

Running up via Grand Concourse or Jerome would probably be asking for too much. 

As far as Bx33 riders looking for The Hub, I have also seen that. The Bx33 runs in a similar fashion to what you described the day of the NYC Marathon. I've seen more people use the bus that particular day than other Sundays (although the drops like a rock after hitting The Hub).

I might remap the route based on the above comments later.

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I kinda figured I would get a response like this. However, I do feel like there is a demand for Queens-Bronx travel. Now, before I made this publicly, I intended for this bus to be a LTD route from Jackson Heights to just Astoria, but then realized the same issue you're addressing (ridership levels within Queens). I initially was thinking of adding stops at Northern Boulevard and 31st Avenue, but I have yet to see a way that doesn't add so much time in either direction.

I'm not making this route solely to serve Queens riders specifically (although whatever amount of people can certainly use it if they please). There are a few reasons I mapped out the route. Besides serving the industrial portion, I also want this route to cater to Bronx-Queens travel as well, in a similar fashion to the Q50. I have seen people transfer from the Manhattan-bound (R) to the (4) or (5) specifically (and have some from the (E) to the (6), although at a much slower rate). Quite frankly, I think that having to take the train and then transfer to the Lex shouldn't be a thing, if there's a faster option. 

I also have thought about having that route follow the "Bronx Provision 1" routing, and then run up to Fordham Plaza, via 3rd Avenue (making LTD stops). However, this would not replace the existing Bx15 LTD (it would be additional service). Such a route doesn't necessarily have to end at Fordham Plaza, but a route going up through those areas of The Bronx could work. 

As far as Bx33 riders looking for The Hub, I have also seen that. The Bx33 runs in a similar fashion to what you described the day of the NYC Marathon. I've seen more people use the bus that particular day than other Sundays (although the drops like a rock after hitting The Hub).

I think that this route is like having your cake and eating it too. You either have really fast service that can connect the two boroughs or serve this tiny industrial area, but not really both.

Would there be value in a route in the Bronx going down the Bruckner to 149th St, north on Prospect, and then west on 161 St to Yankee Stadium?

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I said "in such a fashion" for a particular reason.... Yes, there's a certain demand for Queens-Bronx travel, but quite frankly, a route that runs b/w Jackson Hgts. & Astoria, en route to the Bronx via that industrial area in question, I don't remotely see attracting Bronxites to the tune of a Q50.... The Q50 is a route that's seeing less intra-Bronx usage north of PBP (well, compared to the old Qbx1 anyway), but more inter-borough usage from the influx of Asians traveling b/w Flushing & Schuylerville/Middletown.... This route of yours however doesn't really serve much of anyone whilst in Queens outside of the two ridership gen's (Astoria blvd subway & 74th st bus terminal).... Astoria Blvd b/w 31st & BQE isn't enough (the Q19 also has this problem in that immediate area btw) & you got buses going nonstop from 74th bus terminal to a small industrial area before hitting Astoria Blvd.... What good is a fast route if much of anyone won't benefit from it.....

I think 30 mins. is too much service for a route like this, which is saying a lot.... I think the Queens portion is that bad.

I'll check back some other time if (or whenever) you decide to make changes to this suggestion....

On 3/12/2018 at 1:47 AM, B35 via Church said:

I said "in such a fashion" for a particular reason.... Yes, there's a certain demand for Queens-Bronx travel, but quite frankly, a route that runs b/w Jackson Hgts. & Astoria, en route to the Bronx via that industrial area in question, I don't remotely see attracting Bronxites to the tune of a Q50.... The Q50 is a route that's seeing less intra-Bronx usage north of PBP (well, compared to the old Qbx1 anyway), but more inter-borough usage from the influx of Asians traveling b/w Flushing & Schuylerville/Middletown.... This route of yours however doesn't really serve much of anyone whilst in Queens outside of the two ridership gen's (Astoria blvd subway & 74th st bus terminal).... Astoria Blvd b/w 31st & BQE isn't enough (the Q19 also has this problem in that immediate area btw) & you got buses going nonstop from 74th bus terminal to a small industrial area before hitting Astoria Blvd.... What good is a fast route if much of anyone won't benefit from it.....

I think 30 mins. is too much service for a route like this, which is saying a lot.... I think the Queens portion is that bad.

I'll check back some other time if (or whenever) you decide to make changes to this suggestion....

Okay, so I decided to have a Queens route run to/from The Hub. Now, the route can be solely Jackson Heights to The Hub, or it could follow one of the three alignments that I have on the map (via Third Ave to Fordham Plaza, via Grand Concourse to Fordham, via Jerome Avenue to Kingsbridge).

Of the three extensions, I prefer the Third Avenue segment, because it is more "centralized" in that part of The Bronx, and it can help alleviate overcrowding on the Bx15 in the process (although it makes less stops than the Bx15 LTD). The Grand Concourse segment is a little too far east, and the Jerome Avenue segment is too far east, and also goes too far north. The thing with the Jerome Avenue alignment is that I intend the bus to serve the 160 and 170 blocks, but such an alignment would be prone to delays due to the EL, and a very "uncomfortable" turnaround (by uncomfortable, I mean tedious due to topography and turns; any double parked car would throw off reliability, or anything that happens on the side blocks can also throw off reliability.

I also modified the route in Jackson Heights as well.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16bGHLKMwO2K5EMEB8VXzfopdCIG0bK5h&usp=sharing

Proposed headways for this route would be every 12 minutes in the AM & PM rush, every 20 minutes during weekday middays, and every 30 minutes in the evening. Saturdays, the headways would be every 20 minutes in the morning and early evening, 15 minutes throughout the afternoon, and 30 minutes in the late evening. Sunday service would run every 30 minutes in the morning and evening, and every 20 minutes throughout the afternoon.

On 3/13/2018 at 2:42 AM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Okay, so I decided to have a Queens route run to/from The Hub. Now, the route can be solely Jackson Heights to The Hub, or it could follow one of the three alignments that I have on the map (via Third Ave to Fordham Plaza, via Grand Concourse to Fordham, via Jerome Avenue to Kingsbridge).

Of the three extensions, I prefer the Third Avenue segment, because it is more "centralized" in that part of The Bronx, and it can help alleviate overcrowding on the Bx15 in the process (although it makes less stops than the Bx15 LTD). The Grand Concourse segment is a little too far east, and the Jerome Avenue segment is too far east, and also goes too far north. The thing with the Jerome Avenue alignment is that I intend the bus to serve the 160 and 170 blocks, but such an alignment would be prone to delays due to the EL, and a very "uncomfortable" turnaround (by uncomfortable, I mean tedious due to topography and turns; any double parked car would throw off reliability, or anything that happens on the side blocks can also throw off reliability.

I also modified the route in Jackson Heights as well.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16bGHLKMwO2K5EMEB8VXzfopdCIG0bK5h&usp=sharing

Proposed headways for this route would be every 12 minutes in the AM & PM rush, every 20 minutes during weekday middays, and every 30 minutes in the evening. Saturdays, the headways would be every 20 minutes in the morning and early evening, 15 minutes throughout the afternoon, and 30 minutes in the late evening. Sunday service would run every 30 minutes in the morning and evening, and every 20 minutes throughout the afternoon.

But I'm curious what about LGA service? Currently, anyone wanting to go to LGA from the Bronx needs to either take the subway to Harlem or be near the Q44/Q50. Additionally, the portion of the M60 between Astoria and LGA gets pretty heavy usage. It's not uncommon to see people getting off the (N)(W) to only end up being flagged by an overcrowded bus. 

3 minutes ago, IAlam said:

But I'm curious what about LGA service? Currently, anyone wanting to go to LGA from the Bronx needs to either take the subway to Harlem or be near the Q44/Q50. Additionally, the portion of the M60 between Astoria and LGA gets pretty heavy usage. It's not uncommon to see people getting off the (N)(W) to only end up being flagged by an overcrowded bus. 

That should be served by a Bronx or Queens bus (although I feel that the route should be a new route, not any extension of another bus. 

I've heard that Northern Blvd is a corridor that can be justified to build a subway. However, I partly disagree with that. So here's a proposal I thought of. 

Making the Q66 SBS with dedicated bus lanes on Northern Blvd. 

And is it possible for Queens Blvd to have bus lanes? I've been wondering this cause I pass by the Boulevard every day

11 hours ago, LGA Link N train said:

And is it possible for Queens Blvd to have bus lanes? I've been wondering this cause I pass by the Boulevard every day

It's possible but that wouldn't leave much space for non-bus vehicles so while it may be possible it may not be practical.

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

It's possible but that wouldn't leave much space for non-bus vehicles so while it may be possible it may not be practical.

Why not make a law or something that prohibits double parking on QBL. And a place for trucks to load and Unload? 

I'm not very good at this stuff 

45 minutes ago, LGA Link N train said:

Why not make a law or something that prohibits double parking on QBL. And a place for trucks to load and Unload? 

I'm not very good at this stuff 

Sure you could, but after the first few weeks who's going to enforce it anyway? And if you put in a bus lane in the local lane, either parking goes or cars will have to drive in the bus lane; it's more than just double parking and truck unloading.

On 12/3/2017 at 11:16 AM, B35 via Church said:

So after coming from Westchester last night, I decided to take the M60 to Steinway (I had wanted to stop off in that Burger King by Astoria blvd subway, but I looked out the window & saw that it was packed & said screw that (and stayed on the bus)).... IDK why, but I thought the Q101 had better headways than that on a saturday (every 1/2 hour).... It was 5:31 when I got off the M60... Crossed over to the other side of Astoria blvd to the Q101 SB stop; looked at the schedule & started walking towards Ditmars.... I was on the NW corner looking to see which of the 2 (Q101, Q69) would arrive first & sure enough, it was the SB Q69 at 6 on the dot (so it's a good thing I did that walk).... It was around 5:45 when a NB Q101 passed by as I was walking up to ditmars... I jokingly said, that's probably the next bus back out.... Now that I'm typing this, it might not have been a joke - which meant I would've been waiting for the that 101 at least 10-15 mins. after I got on the Q69....

I will admit that I'm surprised that commercial Ditmars blvd. was as bustling as it was last night.... Good for that community....

The one thing that kind of shocked me wasn't the amt. of the ppl. on the Q69 before I boarded (about 15-20), nor was it the amt. of ppl. that got on at 31st (about 20-25) - it was the amt. of people that got off at 21st/Ditmars.... We went from about 40 something ppl. on the bus, to 11 people (yeah, I counted).... By time we got to Astoria blvd, there was only 6 people left - Until the b/o opened the doors & we got hit with those loads there.... SRO conditions....

This bus tanked worse at 21st (F) than it did at 21st/Ditmars.... There were only a whopping 4 people left (from about 50 or so).

Then I ended up dealing with the same never ending crap with the B62 (I didn't feel like getting off the Q69 & walking down for the B32).... Seeing 5 buses over a 15 min. span make the turn onto 42nd rd, etc. en route to the last dropoff stop - to seeing those same 5 B62's do the turnaround scenario and every single one of em go OOS.... Ridiculous.... The bus I eventually got on (it had the Downtown Brooklyn signage up, but there was no one on it - so I'm thinking that was a bus that came from the depot) took 23 mins. to show.... I don't get it.... This is definitely operations related & nothing anomalous, because it's been going on for years now....

------------

Regarding the Q101, those riders are getting highway robbed.... There is no way that Q101 service should be on par with Q102's on weekends.... It would be one thing if it were service every 30 mins. to Manhattan, but 30 mins overall? I've (been) come to the conclusion that there are too many BPH supplied on the Q69+Q100 combined... I'm more than convinced that is the root cause of the downright lack of service on other routes in Western Queens...

Misallocation.

Ditmars from Steinway to 31st St. is one of the most hopping bar/restaurant streets in the city. 

The Q69 passenger loads don't surprise me. That line serves the Ditmars station. Most people going west from there would get off at 21st St. before the bus turns south. Then, by the time it gets to Astoria Blvd. and below, it starts serving  people for the F at Queensbridge. The Q19 at Astoria Blvd. is a joke, and stops running at 7 pm. The Q18 at  30th Ave. is not much better. So people take the Q69. And it does not have too many buses.

Steinway St. service went downhill when the Rikers buses were given  their own route.  Back in the day, the 101 was one if the most frequent lines in the city. Now it's a ghost of its former self.

On 12/2/2017 at 9:23 AM, B35 via Church said:

The Q69 east of Steinway I'd append to the Q101 for not much more than simple coverage.... Anyone that lives in that part of Jackson Heights does the Q19/M60 thing to the subway anyway.....

Not true. There is mucho passenger traffic from Hazen St. on west to the Ditmars station. At Hazen, Ditmars and Astoria Blvds. diverge going west, so Astoria Blvd. becomes too far a walk for many.  Also, even east of Hazen, the Q19 has sparse service, and is impossible to use eastbound east of 49th St. since the Parkway blocks it from the neighborhood. Also, the Q69 has only one stop between the airport and Steinway St.