Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

15 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

It's why I would only cut back the Q27 to Hillside or Jamaica under this scenario. The Q27 just has no business running south of that area.

Your Q26 on Francis Lewis isn't a substitute for the Q27 on Springfield down in SE Queens though..... You can't leave Springfield, south of Jamaica av with nothing other than a night extension of the Q83 from Murdock....

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Your Q26 on Francis Lewis isn't a substitute for the Q27 on Springfield down in SE Queens though..... You can't leave Springfield, south of Jamaica av with nothing other than a night extension of the Q83 from Murdock....

Which is why in addition to all of those changes, I'd run a bus from Bayside LIRR to Green Acres, via Springfield and QCC.

17 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Which is why in addition to all of those changes, I'd run a bus from Bayside LIRR to Green Acres, via Springfield and QCC.

I get you.

IDK, I see things a little differently w/ the Q27 situation.... I think the Q27 should exist on down to 120th (not every trip obviously, but have the full route retained to running b/w Cambria Hgts. & Flushing) & there should be more of an onus on getting the Q27 riders that are riding anywhere b/w Flushing & HHE (or at the least, QCC) more efficiently... I wouldn't introduce more short turns on the Q27 for that purpose & have it be called a day, when the Q26 is right there ripe for the picking (so to speak)..... I'd rather take the Q26 off Hollis Ct. Blvd & run it along an area where there's bound to be much more/instant ridership, than to have all Q27's cutback to (Hillside av or Jamaica av) & to have to create another route to fill that void along Springfield.....

See, your idea isn't the first *extend the Q26 down Franny Lou* one that I've seen over the years, but I've never really been fond of any of them, due to the fact that the Q26 carries (very) light enough along Hollis ct. as it is.... I'd be worried that trend of carrying very light would continue along Franny Lou, on down into SE Queens...

To kind of sum It up, I see the dilemma as one of - [You think the Q27 does too much, overall] & [I think cutting all Q27's back to Jamaica av doesn't/won't do enough for SE Queens riders].... Your Q26 would provide for a faster ride, but for the SE Queens folks that are riding to Flushing, it might be too out of the way to consider taking (in consideration of a 1-seat ride anyway)....

On 6/3/2018 at 3:08 PM, B35 via Church said:

...which leads me to the problem I have with your route here.

I like what you're trying to accomplish w/ this, but this still has to be pointed out.... You have it running on the outskirts of QV, while the Q27 runs right through the heart of the neighborhood.... Your route completely avoids Oakland Gardens....

While your route would be faster than the Q27, I don't see it remotely benefitting much of any of those 30% you cite.....

No, because his route & the Q27 would end up serving two different riderbases.....

I was kind of skeptical because his Q26 ends at Linden and the Q27 ends at 120. 

On 6/3/2018 at 4:22 PM, B35 via Church said:

Maybe the Q83 gets a restoration to Queens Village during the day time, perhaps?

So many are focused on splitting the Q27 up, but the route works for all that it does. I know several think that it does too much but in that general area of Queens (Eastern Queens) it is very suburban and lacks close subway access. Most routes out there feed the subways (even if that’s not necessarily where the majority of the riders are going) and I don’t think the MTA would want to split the Q27 and have a crosstown route to serve Springfield without at least crossing one subway line. I feel that a subway connection is definitely something that is desired (when planning routes in NYC) which makes sense especially with how everything is so Manhattan oriented with many folks working and going to school in Manhattan. However what hasn’t been taken into account in recent years is the change in demographics and ridership patterns which is why some routes especially in Eastern Queens seem outdated and weird. Look at the Q31 and Q76. When looking at the Q31 and Q76 in Bayside who is using those routes to go to Jamaica, especially if you consider that Bayside is mainly full of White and Asian residents while Jamaica is mainly Black, Carribean, Hispanic and South Asian. Also for those seeking subway service it’s much faster to take the Q12, Q13, Q27, Q46 and etc than having to travel down to Jamaica for the (E)(F)(J)(Z). It almost feels like you are backtracking when you are trying to reach the subway with those routes. Ridership for the Q31 and Q76 is not particularly great the further north you go on those routes with most of the ridership consisting of students, seniors and those who transferred from another route. 

The Q27 is an interesting route because it was slowly extended down Springfield where I guess the MTA was like since it runs this far it might as well run here too. Certainly the Q27 has held it own especially with the recent possibility of it being extended to Merrick Blvd. With that being said I don’t think it would have been considered if it was seen as too much for the Q27. Granted the Q27 does serve two different ridership bases. People from Flushing are usually off the bus by Union Turnpike while those who use the bus to Cambria Heights or Queens Village board around Union Turnpike and Hillside and QCC. It is just hard to have efficient north and south routes in Eastern Queens without it being lightly used or indirect to major destinations. So I would personally leave the Q27 the way it is, because when looking at its usage past Jamaica Ave most people are transferring to other routes anyway and those riders get to enjoy frequent Q27 service whereas a standalone Springfield Blvd route may get infrequent service that doesn’t encourage ridership growth. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

14 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

So many are focused on splitting the Q27 up, but the route works for all that it does. I know several think that it does too much but in that general area of Queens (Eastern Queens) it is very suburban and lacks close subway access. Most routes out there feed the subways (even if that’s not necessarily where the majority of the riders are going) and I don’t think the MTA would want to split the Q27 and have a crosstown route to serve Springfield without at least crossing one subway line. I feel that a subway connection is definitely something that is desired (when planning routes in NYC) which makes sense especially with how everything is so Manhattan oriented with many folks working and going to school in Manhattan. However what hasn’t been taken into account in recent years is the change in demographics and ridership patterns which is why some routes especially in Eastern Queens seem outdated and weird. Look at the Q31 and Q76. When looking at the Q31 and Q76 in Bayside who is using those routes to go to Jamaica, especially if you consider that Bayside is mainly full of White and Asian residents while Jamaica is mainly Black, Carribean, Hispanic and South Asian. Also for those seeking subway service it’s much faster to take the Q12, Q13, Q27, Q46 and etc than having to travel down to Jamaica for the (E)(F)(J)(Z). It almost feels like you are backtracking when you are trying to reach the subway with those routes. Ridership for the Q31 and Q76 is not particularly great the further north you go on those routes with most of the ridership consisting of students, seniors and those who transferred from another route. 

The Q27 is an interesting route because it was slowly extended down Springfield where I guess the MTA was like since it runs this far it might as well run here too. Certainly the Q27 has held it own especially with the recent possibility of it being extended to Merrick Blvd. With that being said I don’t think it would have been considered if it was seen as too much for the Q27. Granted the Q27 does serve two different ridership bases. People from Flushing are usually off the bus by Union Turnpike while those who use the bus to Cambria Heights or Queens Village board around Union Turnpike and Hillside and QCC. It is just hard to have efficient north and south routes in Eastern Queens without it being lightly used or indirect to major destinations. So I would personally leave the Q27 the way it is, because when looking at its usage past Jamaica Ave most people are transferring to other routes anyway and those riders get to enjoy frequent Q27 service whereas a standalone Springfield Blvd route may get infrequent service that doesn’t encourage ridership growth. 

The Q27 ran all the way to 136th Avenue for a few months in 1957. Would you restore that?

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The Q27 ran all the way to 136th Avenue for a few months in 1957. Would you restore that?

I think the route is fine the way it is now. The Q27 doesn’t need to be extended anymore at least not during the day. The issue is that the Q77 is indirect to Jamaica on top of it not being so frequent. So I get why the Q27 is being considered for an extension. Past around 8 or 9pm the Q77 doesn’t even run anymore so possibly the Q27 could be extended to Merrick or 136th Street starting when the Q77 stops running to 5am. 

Since the Q27 serves Cambria Heights late nights now since 2013 I wonder why the Q83 serves the Queens Village LIRR. I feel it’s rather redundant. 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:20 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

The consensus is that it actually doesn't do enough for SE Queens patrons in-particular (which is where you get these extension suggestions to Merrick Blvd and/or Green Acres from)....

But in general, yeah, IAWTP's.

Edited by B35 via Church

12 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Probably because pulling it back would be a rather obvious cut.

They could keep it running to its daytime terminal and provide coverage in the area east of Springfield Blvd. I mean, the Q1 & Q36 operate in that area and provide overnight service to Jamaica, so it's not even like you could use the argument of "the Q27 doesn't run to Jamaica".

Edited by checkmatechamp13

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

They could keep it running to its daytime terminal and provide coverage in the area east of Springfield Blvd. I mean, the Q1 & Q36 operate in that area and provide overnight service to Jamaica, so it's not even like you could use the argument of "the Q27 doesn't run to Jamaica".

But the Q1 and 36 don't operate south of Jamaica Av

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

But the Q1 and 36 don't operate south of Jamaica Av

They're still within walking distance (and if you go far enough south, you're within walking distance of the Q2/110 or regular Q83 anyway).

Also, by that logic "you're keeping the Q83 from running east of Springfield Blvd". What about those riders?

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

They're still within walking distance (and if you go far enough south, you're within walking distance of the Q2/110 or regular Q83 anyway).

Also, by that logic "you're keeping the Q83 from running east of Springfield Blvd". What about those riders?

It makes me wonder how well the Q83 is utilized at night when it’s extended to the Queens Village LIRR Station. If it has survived all these years since the Q27 extension and the addition of overnight service to 120th Ave, then it must not do too bad.

Why don't they run the X63 and X64 during weekends/both directions weekdays? Nearby LIRR service on weekends seems rather abysmal and taking the local bus to the subway is a rather long route, especially with all the sh*t on QBL during weekends. Riverdale runs express buses at nearly all times (which are well used) in addition to having a local bus-subway connection, so why don't they do this with the X63/64 too?

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why don't they run the X63 and X64 during weekends/both directions weekdays? Nearby LIRR service on weekends seems rather abysmal and taking the local bus to the subway is a rather long route, especially with all the sh*t on QBL during weekends. Riverdale runs express buses at nearly all times (which are well used) in addition to having a local bus-subway connection, so why don't they do this with the X63/64 too?

How much demand is there for off-peak service? Maybe that answer will arise in the bus network redesign.

On 6/7/2018 at 2:25 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

It makes me wonder how well the Q83 is utilized at night when it’s extended to the Queens Village LIRR Station. If it has survived all these years since the Q27 extension and the addition of overnight service to 120th Ave, then it must not do too bad.

Or they just never bothered to update it. It's possible. When they had the Bx39 replace the Bx41 on WPR, they "forgot" that they accidentally cut overnight bus service on that corridor and added the Bx39 shuttle.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Riverdale is served by MTA Bus express buses, while SE Queens is served by NYCT express buses, so that plays a part in it. I doubt say, the BxM4 or BM4 would be running off-peak if it were run by NYCT.

9 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Riverdale is served by MTA Bus express buses, while SE Queens is served by NYCT express buses, so that plays a part in it. I doubt say, the BxM4 or BM4 would be running off-peak if it were run by NYCT.

Why would NYCT not run weekend service while MTA Bus does? MTAB always seems to get the short end of the stick and have worse, infrequent, and older routes. Also, they run the X28 on weekends when the (D) is a few blocks away.

53 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

How much demand is there for off-peak service? Maybe that answer will arise in the bus network redesign.

The X63 and X64 don’t have high usage at all with the X64 being worst than the X63 in regards to ridership. Many people in south Queens simply take the Q4, Q5, Q85 and etc to the subway. Plus ares like Cambria Heights, Rosedale, St. Albans, Laurelton and South Jamaica are not as wealthy as Glen Oaks, Little Neck, Bayside and Whitestone so I can see why the ridership on the X63 and X64 and even the QM21 suffer. 

40 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why would NYCT not run weekend service while MTA Bus does? MTAB always seems to get the short end of the stick and have worse, infrequent, and older routes. Also, they run the X28 on weekends when the (D) is a few blocks away.

I think it also has something to do with MTA bus being funded by the city in comparison to NYCT bus so they don’t get touched so quickly. So the NYCT buses do get more noticeable service changes in comparison to MTA bus. In 2010 only the Q89 and the QM22, QM23 and probably two other MTA bus express routes in the Bronx faced elimination while other MTA bus routes remained untouched. Of course the mentioned routes had really low ridership and it made no sense to keep them around. 

However if the dynamics were different and MTA bus wasn’t city funded I could see the outcome of 2010 being much different.

1. For example they might have eliminated the Q21 and gotten rid of the Hamilton Beach of the Q11. 

2. I could have seen the Q34 being eliminated and those trips now being Q25 short turns running between Flushing and Jamaica.

3. Maybe the Q60 would have received more Jamaica Archer Ave short turn trips.

4. They might have made the Q67 weekdays only.

5. The Q39 and Q101 might have lost overnight service

6. The Q102 removed from Roosevelt Island and routed down Vernon Blvd after Queens Plaza to serve Hunters Point. 

7. Q112 ending earlier.

7. QM4 losing midday service and having weekend service cut.

The Q103 might have been eliminated and the Q104 rerouted to Roosevelt Island to replace the Q102.

Like I mentioned before these are just my idea of possible service changes that could have possibly been made back in 2010 if MTA bus routes faced the same type of cuts like NYCT routes did. I am not too familiar with Bronx and Brooklyn MTA bus routes so I didn’t mention them

10 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The demographics in Riverdale and Southeast Queens are very different. Riverdale is a natural retirement community, which means many seniors ride the express buses at all hours (yes even late at night, though not as many). This certainly helps during off-peak though when they go to Manhattan for leisure things (shows, restaurants, Lincoln Center shows, etc.) Additionally, Riverdale is a bedroom community, so people move there to have an easy commute to and from Manhattan. Southeast Queens is different in that regard. As another user said the economics are also different in the areas serving the X63 and X64 and the QM21. I think a lot of the lost ridership is due to financial strain, where as Northeast Queens (Little Neck, Glen Oaks, Douglaston, Whitestone, Beechhurst, Bay Terrace, Bayside, etc.) tend to be more upper middle class, as is the case with Riverdale, so the services are used more in those areas. However there are some areas of Southeast Queens that are solidly middle class. I believe those areas received an extra X68 trip towards Queens which they had been asking for for some time.

12 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I think it also has something to do with MTA bus being funded by the city in comparison to NYCT bus so they don’t get touched so quickly. So the NYCT buses do get more noticeable service changes in comparison to MTA bus. In 2010 only the Q89 and the QM22, QM23 and probably two other MTA bus express routes in the Bronx faced elimination while other MTA bus routes remained untouched. Of course the mentioned routes had really low ridership and it made no sense to keep them around. 

However if the dynamics were different and MTA bus wasn’t city funded I could see the outcome of 2010 being much different.

1. For example they might have eliminated the Q21 and gotten rid of the Hamilton Beach of the Q11. 

2. I could have seen the Q34 being eliminated and those trips now being Q25 short turns running between Flushing and Jamaica.

3. Maybe the Q60 would have received more Jamaica Archer Ave short turn trips.

4. They might have made the Q67 weekdays only.

5. The Q39 and Q101 might have lost overnight service

6. The Q102 removed from Roosevelt Island and routed down Vernon Blvd after Queens Plaza to serve Hunters Point. 

7. Q112 ending earlier.

7. QM4 losing midday service and having weekend service cut.

The Q103 might have been eliminated and the Q104 rerouted to Roosevelt Island to replace the Q102.

Like I mentioned before these are just my idea of possible service changes that could have possibly been made back in 2010 if MTA bus routes faced the same type of cuts like NYCT routes did. I am not too familiar with Bronx and Brooklyn MTA bus routes so I didn’t mention them

Contrast weekend service on express routes on the MTABus routes to that of on the NYCT routes.... That alone should tell the story of how different those 2010 cuts would've been, if every single express bus route was NYCT...... I don't even want to think about it....

As for those bullet points.... Well with the first one, I think some sort of consolidation's going to happen w/ the Woodhaven locals anyway; they want the masses on SBS'..... #2, I think the Q34 would've been completely discontinued with no replacement.... #3 should happen regardless, but I can agree to that ending up having happened.... #4, I think they would've gotten rid of it, wholesale.... #5, I suppose..... #6, I actually think the opposite - the route would've probably been turned into an RI - QBP shuttle.... the first #7, I think they'd have left the Q112 alone.... the second #7 (lol), I'm inclined to agree [QM4].... As for the Q103 & 104, routing-wise I think they both would've been left alone, but service-wise, weekend service on both of those routes would've likely ceased to exist....

As far as the Bronx's locals... I think they would've killed weekend service on the Q50 & left the Bx23 alone.....

As far as Brooklyn locals.... I think the B100 would've had some sort of service decrease (all 7 days) & the B103 would have a limited amount less trips running past the Junction on saturdays & no service to/from downtown on sundays....

On 6/9/2018 at 12:04 AM, R68OnBroadway said:

MTA express buses overall tend to have lower ridership than NYCT express buses, and so their service levels are lower. And let's not pretend MTA Bus doesn't have routes that run right near subway lines. The BxM11 is literally right under the (2) train, and the BxM4 spends most of its routing in The Bronx right next to the Concourse Line (for that matter, the BM3 runs a few blocks from the Brighton Line for most of its route).

23 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I think it also has something to do with MTA bus being funded by the city in comparison to NYCT bus so they don’t get touched so quickly.

Bingo.

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

As for the Q103 & 104, routing-wise I think they both would've been left alone, but service-wise, weekend service on both of those routes would've likely ceased to exist....

As far as the Bronx's locals... I think they would've killed weekend service on the Q50 & left the Bx23 alone.....

As far as Brooklyn locals.... I think the B100 would've had some sort of service decrease (all 7 days) & the B103 would have a limited amount less trips running past the Junction on saturdays & no service to/from downtown on sundays....

The Q103 didn't have weekend service until a few years ago (in 2010 it was a weekday-only route). Weekend service started in 2014 (about a year after the B32 started, when they were on that kick of "expanding service to developing neighborhoods" and all that). 

5 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

MTA express buses overall tend to have lower ridership than NYCT express buses, and so their service levels are lower. And let's not pretend MTA Bus doesn't have routes that run right near subway lines. The BxM11 is literally right under the (2) train, and the BxM4 spends most of its routing in The Bronx right next to the Concourse Line (for that matter, the BM3 runs a few blocks from the Brighton Line for most of its route).

Bingo.

The Q103 didn't have weekend service until a few years ago (in 2010 it was a weekday-only route). Weekend service started in 2014 (about a year after the B32 started, when they were on that kick of "expanding service to developing neighborhoods" and all that). 

How convenient of you to leave out the fact that the BxM11 doesn't start dropping off passengers until Pelham Parkway, not to mention that it runs along 5th and Madison where there are no subways, so it's serving a different market. You can argue that the (5) is nearby but the (5) does not run along White Plains Road on weekends. The (2) is LOCAL in the Bronx so that's something else you've left out. The express bus is supposed to be a faster option. If you want to make that point then for that matter, Metro-North is just a few blocks walking from Gun Hill Road from the subway, but it's MUCH faster than the subway. The BxM11 also runs through areas not close to the subway, so people from the very Northeastern parts of the Bronx in Wakefield can get to it rather than having to take a local bus and then the subway. Each mode of transportation in that area serves its purpose. There's a reason people use the BxM11 up there despite the subway being there. The BM3 runs EAST after Ocean Avenue, serving areas not served by the subway and along Emmons, and many people getting on along Ocean Avenue (especially on weekends) are elderly, which would make it difficult for them to access the subway. Next you'll be saying that the BM1 runs along Ocean Avenue too when it terminates all the way in Mill Basin, far away from any subway. There's nothing wrong with (MTA) Bus express buses. Their ridership is lower yes, but people still need transportation options in those areas and that's why the City has provided the funding for it... For years those neighorhoods have argued that they paid more for transportation simply because they weren't always near subways and the City agreed that that wasn't right. It also makes those neighorhoods more attractive having some decent transportation, something else that was argued. What I won't tolerate is you and others trying to imply that some neighorhoods shouldn't have the service that they have because they have lower ridership while your community and their communities have adequate service. Every neighorhood in this City should have decent transportation and given how horrondeous the (MTA) has been with making the subway accessible to all communities where they run in addition to how poorly they run Access-A-Ride, the last thing we should be implying is that some people can just take the subway when they clearly can't. Some people are very selfish. They're young and have no handicaps so screw those that do. We will all get old eventually. Keep that in mind before making some of these comments.

I don't believe any of the subway stations along White Plains Road are ADA accessible and if they are, it's very few of them. Let's lay out all of the cards, so buses up there (both local and express) are needed.

Something else left out of all of this is the fact that the City agreed to provide adequate transportation to certain communities when they were planned. There's LeFrak City, Co-Op City and Parkchester in the Bronx. Mitchell Gardens in Flushing... These are planned areas with high density where transportation is essential and they're away from subways in most cases or the express bus provides a faster commute. The QM4 has a similar situation. It terminates in Electchester. The issue with that line is the people that should be using it aren't, but they're still going to run service there, just the bare bones and that's fine. Hourly service off-peak is not breaking the bank and it is serving areas away from the subway. What I would do is have it make more stops along Queens Blvd to garner more ridership. Hit areas like Forest Hills which has seniors and people with money that can afford the express bus, this way you can keep the service.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

6 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The Q103 had Saturday bus service until the 1995 service cut when DOT told Queens Surface to cut it.