Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

They also tried it with the Q4 to Elmont Rd and Linden Blvd as the end point. THAT did not sit well with Elmont residents.

Actually, that's North Valley Stream.

And it's a shame that the MTA couldn't have gotten Cambria Heights residents on their side. While it would've put buses on residential streets in North Valley Stream, It would take the bus off (more) residential streets in Cambria Heights (since Elmont Road & Linden Blvd are both commercial)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, that's North Valley Stream.

And it's a shame that the MTA couldn't have gotten Cambria Heights residents on their side. While it would've put buses on residential streets in North Valley Stream, It would take the bus off (more) residential streets in Cambria Heights (since Elmont Road & Linden Blvd are both commercial)

Actually, I made a mistake. It was Linden Blvd and Central Av (right by the exit of the Southern State Pkwy) for the turnaround. The Q4 would have followed the N1 along the SSP (Stuart Av) and then a left to North Central Av toward Linden blvd.

Actually, I made a mistake. It was Linden Blvd and Central Av (right by the exit of the Southern State Pkwy) for the turnaround. The Q4 would have followed the N1 along the SSP (Stuart Av) and then a left to North Central Av toward Linden blvd.

Wow, that's even better. That part of Linden Blvd is a nice, wide street that already handles traffic from the Southern State Parkway, and the rest of the turnaround is on the n1 route anyway.

Is it possible to have the Q4 terminate over at Elmont Road/Hempstead Turnpike stop for the n1?

Is it possible to have the Q4 terminate over at Elmont Road/Hempstead Turnpike stop for the n1?

For what purpose? I don't think there's much of an "EXTRA" demand for bus service to Jamaica. The N1 is good during the rush-hour and of course the N6...N6X...and any other N6 I forgot to mention.

For what purpose? I don't think there's much of an "EXTRA" demand for bus service to Jamaica. The N1 is good during the rush-hour and of course the N6...N6X...and any other N6 I forgot to mention.

The n1 stop at Elmont Road and Hempstead Turnpike seemed like a better location to have the Q4 terminate, and turn around by having the Jamaica bound bus make a right on the turnpike, followed by another right at School Road to return to Elmont Road. I'm not sure of the Q4 can make the Linden Blvd underpass by South State Pkwy. Plus, the n6 is usually crowded by the time it reaches Elmont Road in both directions, and NICE reduced n1 rush hour service to Peak Hour: To Jamaica AM and To Helwett PM. only. Sometimes, I wished that NICE would go ahead and make the n1 full time to Jamaica instead of letting the n6 do all the heavy lifting. As for demand, there is some demand to Jamaica, I've seen a few people around the North Valley Stream (around the Elmont Rd and Linden area) walk over to Cambria Heights to catch the Q4.

Edited by NY1635

The n1 stop at Elmont Road and Hempstead Turnpike seemed like a better location to have the Q4 terminate, and turn around by having the Jamaica bound bus make a right on the turnpike, followed by another right at School Road to return to Elmont Road. I'm not sure of the Q4 can make the Linden Blvd underpass by South State Pkwy. Plus, the n6 is usually crowded by the time it reaches Elmont Road in both directions, and NICE reduced n1 rush hour service to Peak Hour: To Jamaica AM and To Helwett PM. only. Sometimes, I wished that NICE would go ahead and make the n1 full time to Jamaica instead of letting the n6 do all the heavy lifting. As for demand, there is some demand to Jamaica, I've seen a few people around the North Valley Stream (around the Elmont Rd and Linden area) walk over to Cambria Heights to catch the Q4.

Which is the reasoning for the Q4 to remain on Linden Blvd only. No need for the Q4 to go to Hempstead Tpke. Once upon a time, the N1 and now the defunct N2 and N3 WERE full time heading to Jamaica...especially the N1. MTA cut that back I believe in 2005?

Which is the reasoning for the Q4 to remain on Linden Blvd only. No need for the Q4 to go to Hempstead Tpke. Once upon a time, the N1 and now the defunct N2 and N3 WERE full time heading to Jamaica...especially the N1. MTA cut that back I believe in 2005?

There is a demand for bus service to Jamaica in North Valley Stream, much more than the MTA realizes. Even though the n2/8 loop was discontinued due to low ridership, the county legislator has been trying to get NICE to bring back the route because people need the route to get to their work or their job. The n2 and n3 rush hour trips to Jamaica were cut mostly due to some budget crisis in 2010.

No. The N1, 2 and 3 went to Jamaica rush hours only.

I have to do some research because there was a time that those two routes actually served Jamaica outside of rush-hour. Maybe middays and evening rush hours. The N1 I remember DEFINITELY went to Jamaica outside of rush-hour. Maybe every other N1 ended in Jamaica?

Edited by The TransitMan

I have to do some research because there was a time that those two routes actually served Jamaica outside of rush-hour. Maybe middays and evening rush hours. The N1 I remember DEFINITELY went to Jamaica outside of rush-hour. Maybe every other N1 ended in Jamaica?

No. They never went to Jamaica outside of rush hour

Who likes the idea of combining the Q32 and Q33 into one route

also extending the Q66 into Manhattan right over the bridge

truncating the Q32 at 42nd St/5th Ave

introducing a wall street variant of the QM3

I disagree with all of those proposals (for different reasons).

The Q32 has problems because its route runs on primarily congested roadways, so buses are bunched, behind schedule, etc. After the Q33 has been taken out of the airport, things have been more reliable on the route. It's not entirely reliable (100%), but it's gotten better. Combining both routes will only make the problems worse for the Q32 in terms of unreliability. It doesn't matter if the Q32 is truncated to 42 Street. It makes it worse for Q33 riders, which now will deal with unreliability much more often. Riders on the north section would now be more likely to take the Q47/

The Q32 should also maintain connections at Penn Station. I don't see the point truncating it to 42 Street, especially since there are a significant amount of people who take the bus from south of 42 Street going to/from Queens, most of them avoiding the subway because it's just very crowded. You can also only fill up a train with so many people before conditions get out of hand. It's pretty useful for inter-borough travel with the current Manhattan routing. 

The Q66 to Manhattan would be redundant to the Q32, Q60, and Q101. Out of those three, the Q101 doesn't even get sufficient ridership to even be crossing the bridge. The Q32 and Q60 see more ridership over the bridge without a doubt. What makes you think the Q66 will get the same use as a Q32 or Q60? I know they don't travel along the same route, but they travel in the same general vicinity. That route also suffers from unreliability issues as well. Coupled with the short-turns at 51 Street creating larger gaps west of 51 Street, it is not very attractive. Ridership is not even that strong east of 51 Street. In general, a good portion of bus routes in the western portion of Queens don't do as well as the rest of the borough in terms of ridership, although for different reasons. I don't see many people using it from areas east of 51 Street either.

In addition, for a Q66 to Manhattan route, you would have to reroute the Q66 away from 21 Street, and run it straight on Northern, or have it go down straight 21 Street, and then merge into the Tunnel and end up running along 34 Street to some location. In the first scenario, you have nothing on 35 Avenue, unless you reroute the Q101 and truncate it at Queens Plaza. In the second scenario, while it does eliminate a connectivity gap, I don't feel like that gap should be filled. You're adding extra service along 34 Street which may or may not be warranted. Furthermore, you would still make it prone to delays on so many different fronts: 34 Street, QMT traffic, Northern Blvd, and Flushing. Even over the bridge, there's still the concern of traffic. In short, I say it's unwarranted. I would leave the Q66 running to/from Queens Plaza as it is.

I disagree with a wall street variant of the QM3, as it wouldn't serve much of anyone who would benefit of the service in NE Queens, with the majority of them on the QM2/20 portions/ They've even pushed for a Downtown service from Bay Terrace. The Downtown service should either be a QM2, QM20 (or a combo of the two) variant.

I disagree with a wall street variant of the QM3, as it wouldn't serve much of anyone who would benefit of the service in NE Queens, with the majority of them on the QM2/20 portions/ They've even pushed for a Downtown service from Bay Terrace. The Downtown service should either be a QM2, QM20 (or a combo of the two) variant.

Why would a Wall Street variant of the QM3 preclude a Wall Street variant of the QM2/20?

As long as the QM3 parallels the Port Washington branch in Queens, maybe it should go where the railroad doesn't go in Manhattan

Why would a Wall Street variant of the QM3 preclude a Wall Street variant of the QM2/20?

As long as the QM3 parallels the Port Washington branch in Queens, maybe it should go where the railroad doesn't go in Manhattan

Because a QM2/20 variant to Downtown would be much more beneficial. It serves areas which have asked for such service directly, such as Bay Terrace and the Mitchell Gardens area. The QM8 also serves the area from about Bell Blvd to the QM3's end, so such service would be redundant in that area. Not many people in Flushing and Auburndale have mentioned the need for a Wall Street branch, nor do I think it's necessary. There has been more noise in the areas along the QM2/20 path, and rightfully so. 

Because a QM2/20 variant to Downtown would be much more beneficial. It serves areas which have asked for such service directly, such as Bay Terrace and the Mitchell Gardens area. The QM8 also serves the area from about Bell Blvd to the QM3's end, so such service would be redundant in that area. Not many people in Flushing and Auburndale have mentioned the need for a Wall Street branch, nor do I think it's necessary. There has been more noise in the areas along the QM2/20 path, and rightfully so. 

If anything it'd be best to have bus follow the QM20 route and make a left on Linden and right on northern and pick up any QM3 willing to transfer. 

Ideas for flushing hub reroutes, all which are planned to help empty out overcrowded layover areas and reduce traffic as much as possible:

Q12/26: Westbound stays on Stanford Av until Kissena Blvd, turns right on Kissena and goes to terminate at Roosevelt Av and Main St. All stops on Bowne St and Roosevelt Av lost, New stops are at Kissena Blvd/Stanford Av and Main St/Roosevelt Av.

Q15/15A: Eastbound uses 41 Av instead of Roosevelt Av, now starts at N20G terminal, turns left on Roosevelt Av and left when it hits 41 Av. All stops on Roosevelt Av moved to 41 Av, new stop at Kissena Blvd.

Q48: Terminal stop moved from Roosevelt Av and Main St to 39 Av and Main St (Q17/27 terminal). Buses can layover in the area at Union St and Roosevelt Av.

Ideas for flushing hub reroutes, all which are planned to help empty out overcrowded layover areas and reduce traffic as much as possible:

Q12/26: Westbound stays on Stanford Av until Kissena Blvd, turns right on Kissena and goes to terminate at Roosevelt Av and Main St. All stops on Bowne St and Roosevelt Av lost, New stops are at Kissena Blvd/Stanford Av and Main St/Roosevelt Av.

Q15/15A: Eastbound uses 41 Av instead of Roosevelt Av, now starts at N20G terminal, turns left on Roosevelt Av and left when it hits 41 Av. All stops on Roosevelt Av moved to 41 Av, new stop at Kissena Blvd.

Q48: Terminal stop moved from Roosevelt Av and Main St to 39 Av and Main St (Q17/27 terminal). Buses can layover in the area at Union St and Roosevelt Av.

Have you been to the Flushing CBD within the past six years? Did you at least check out your proposed route paths on Google Maps?

(1) In June 2010, NYCDOT banned all turns from Main Street (either direction) into Roosevelt Avenue (either direction) as well as the northbound left turn from Union Street into Roosevelt Avenue.

(2) At Main & 41 Av, the southbound left turn is both illegal and physically precluded by the narrow median of Main Street. 

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

Have you been to the Flushing CBD within the past six years? Did you at least check out your proposed route paths on Google Maps?

(1) In June 2010, NYCDOT banned all turns from Main Street (either direction) into Roosevelt Avenue (either direction) as well as the northbound left turn from Union Street into Roosevelt Avenue.

(2) At Main & 41 Av, the southbound left turn is both illegal and physically precluded by the narrow median of Main Street.

Ok (figured that turn at 41 Av was difficult to do anyways), so what if the one way on 41 Av was changed to westbound and the Q15 used it to layover at the MTA bus terminal? Q12 and Q26 would remain unchanged from it's current routing due to banned turns.

Ok (figured that turn at 41 Av was difficult to do anyways), so what if the one way on 41 Av was changed to westbound and the Q15 used it to layover at the MTA bus terminal? Q12 and Q26 would remain unchanged from it's current routing due to banned turns.

Again, have you ever been there? Making a right turn from a reversed 41 Av into Main St would be difficult enough with everything free and clear. Add in a truck making deliveries to the Chinese grocery at that corner and you'll never get anywhere.

Again, have you ever been there? Making a right turn from a reversed 41 Av into Main St would be difficult enough with everything free and clear. Add in a truck making deliveries to the Chinese grocery at that corner and you'll never get anywhere.

I see. And to answer your other question, I have been there before (yesterday actually, just didn't explore the area enough), and seeing the traffic there, I wondered how can we simplify traffic there. But looks like it's fine the way it is the way you describe it.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

I see. And to answer your other question, I have been there before (yesterday actually, just didn't explore the area enough), and seeing the traffic there, I wondered how can we simplify traffic there. But looks like it's fine the way it is the way you describe it.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.

there is only one spot with open real estate and that's main st heading north btwn roosevelt and 39th but its too crowded to place a bus stop there maybe a drop off could work but they would need to removed the street barriers which in turn woudl provide less space to an already narrow sidewalk. Anyway the only bus that should even be considered to be moved is the Q58 but no way in hell woudl there be enough space to put that line anywhere closer to the station 

Also just some thoughts how about extending the Q49 to Flushing when the Q19 does not run?

Edited by IAlam

Once upon a time, the Q12 and Q26 did just that...like back in the 1990s. However, "Gotham Bus Co" is right, the Community Boards in Flushing have practically spoke up and there are a lot of restrictions in Downtown Flushing. Such as not allowing the Q17 and Q27 to end along 39th Av between Main St and Prince St. However, I agree that there needs to be a terminal in Flushing because the bus traffic alone has increased and will continue to increase...but that's just my two cents.

there is only one spot with open real estate and that's main st heading north btwn roosevelt and 39th but its too crowded to place a bus stop there maybe a drop off could work but they would need to removed the street barriers which in turn woudl provide less space to an already narrow sidewalk. Anyway the only bus that should even be considered to be moved is the Q58 but no way in hell woudl there be enough space to put that line anywhere closer to the station 

Also just some thoughts how about extending the Q49 to Flushing when the Q19 does not run?

After a study of Downtown Flushing, that's why they moved the Q19, Q50 and Q66 off of Main St between Roosevelt Av and 39th Av because of the buses taking up one lane of traffic, then trying to get around the buses can be difficult.

The Q58 to Main St and Roosevelt Av has been talked about for years BUT now with the new restrictions and the amount of Q58 buses (BOTH local AND limited)...yep, it's not going to happen.

The Q49 to Flushing has also been discussed BUT with the Q19 ending around 8 PM (Flushing bound) and then the Q49 ending around 2 AM (East Elmhurst bound)...why extend it for 6 hours when the Q66 is 24 hours and of course...the 7 train.

After a study of Downtown Flushing, that's why they moved the Q19, Q50 and Q66 off of Main St between Roosevelt Av and 39th Av because of the buses taking up one lane of traffic, then trying to get around the buses can be difficult.

The Q58 to Main St and Roosevelt Av has been talked about for years BUT now with the new restrictions and the amount of Q58 buses (BOTH local AND limited)...yep, it's not going to happen.

The Q49 to Flushing has also been discussed BUT with the Q19 ending around 8 PM (Flushing bound) and then the Q49 ending around 2 AM (East Elmhurst bound)...why extend it for 6 hours when the Q66 is 24 hours and of course...the 7 train.

The Q19 itself should have its hour extended. 8PM is way too early for a full-time urban route to end. You have all the local bus passengers along Astoria Blvd who are a long distance from the M60 stops. I'd say it should run until at least 10 or 11PM.

East Elmhurst is very far from the 7 train, especially as you go further west. Granted, depending on where you are, you could take the 7 and then a north-south bus (e.g. Q47, Q33, etc), but that's an extra transfer and the wait times may be long.