Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think an expanded version of the q79 should be created. My proposal is to have the q79 run from 179 street to the Little Neck Lirr station 7 days a week. The headway during peak hours will be every 10 minutes and the headway during off peak hours and weekends will be every 15 minutes. There will be no service between 1am and 6am. The route would go as follows: (eastbound) via hillside avenue, left little neck parkway, then little neck parkway all the way to the lirr little neck station. (Westbound) via little neck parkway, right hillside avenue, then hillside avenue all the way to 179 street which will be it's terminal. I would be eliminating all of the stops on little neck parkway between Jericho turnpike and hillside avenue due to low ridership. (I hardly ever pick up or drop off passengers at those stops when I do the q36 little neck version). Also by having the q79 run down hillside avenue past Springfield Blvd, this would help out the q43 with all of those school kids from van buren high school. This route would only have local service.

I think an expanded version of the q79 should be created. My proposal is to have the q79 run from 179 street to the Little Neck Lirr station 7 days a week. The headway during peak hours will be every 10 minutes and the headway during off peak hours and weekends will be every 15 minutes. There will be no service between 1am and 6am. The route would go as follows: (eastbound) via hillside avenue, left little neck parkway, then little neck parkway all the way to the lirr little neck station. (Westbound) via little neck parkway, right hillside avenue, then hillside avenue all the way to 179 street which will be it's terminal. I would be eliminating all of the stops on little neck parkway between Jericho turnpike and hillside avenue due to low ridership. (I hardly ever pick up or drop off passengers at those stops when I do the q36 little neck version). Also by having the q79 run down hillside avenue past Springfield Blvd, this would help out the q43 with all of those school kids from van buren high school. This route would only have local service.

No that even worse the current Q36 tbh the only reason it has 30 min headways is because of the Little Neck LIRR but really most of the people using this extension are students or people south of hillside that don't want to walk. 

Midday.

Oh. Well the Q114 was previously the Q113 Lcl which had far more stops than the current Q114 so, they already reduced the stops on the route.

And just because the route is destinated as a Limited stops route don't mean it needs to have a minimum amount of stops to make it a limited route." Q114 have too many stops for a LTD route.imo" I could say the same that about the B103 LTD or most of the other LTDs in the city.

Oh. Well the Q114 was previously the Q113 Lcl which had far more stops than the current Q114 so, they already reduced the stops on the route.

And just because the route is destinated as a Limited stops route don't mean it needs to have a minimum amount of stops to make it a limited route." Q114 have too many stops for a LTD route.imo" I could say the same that about the B103 LTD or most of the other LTDs in the city.

I really dont have issues with the other LTD routes...it just the Q114 I have issues with,that's all....most of the bus stops are wayyy too close to each other.

I really dont have issues with the other LTD routes...it just the Q114 I have issues with,that's all....most of the bus stops are wayyy too close to each other.

The Q114 LTD makes the same stops as the Q113, so I assume you mean the Q113 also has too many stops (just not as many as the Q114).

The only stops that you can realistically eliminate would be 109th Avenue and Foch Blvd. Linden is a major street, Baisley & 137th are at both ends of Rochdale Village, and south of there, you'd be bypassing a lot of the people further out, whose very purpose the Q114 LTD exists for. (The main point of the limited is obviously to bring riders further out to the hub quickly, and spacing out the stops and forcing them to catch a local on the outer end does the exact opposite)

The Q114 LTD makes the same stops as the Q113, so I assume you mean the Q113 also has too many stops (just not as many as the Q114).

The only stops that you can realistically eliminate would be 109th Avenue and Foch Blvd. Linden is a major street, Baisley & 137th are at both ends of Rochdale Village, and south of there, you'd be bypassing a lot of the people further out, whose very purpose the Q114 LTD exists for. (The main point of the limited is obviously to bring riders further out to the hub quickly, and spacing out the stops and forcing them to catch a local on the outer end does the exact opposite)

My first question would be do any of y'all ride the Q114 Frequently ?

As a South Jamaica Queens resident I happen to ride these Guy R Brewer Routes everyday and Q114 NEEDS to stay.... It's helped ALOT on the Blvd...

The Q114 serves its purpose

It's the for those that live in the backblocks of Inwood Cederhurst and Lawrence... The Q113 bypasses all of that by taking Nassau Expwy but you still have that demand for those people who aren't actually going to Mott...

I wouldn't change anything with the Q114...

What they can do is turn the short trip Q111 to Farmers into its own route as well... Q115 to Farmers Blvd... Wouldn't run 24/7 more like 15/7 but it would help greatly and would also help separating lines... Giving that Farmers line it's own identity

As a South Jamaica Queens resident I happen to ride these Guy R Brewer Routes everyday and Q114 NEEDS to stay.... It's helped ALOT on the Blvd...

It's the for those that live in the backblocks of Inwood Cederhurst and Lawrence... The Q113 bypasses all of that by taking Nassau Expwy but you still have that demand for those people who aren't actually going to Mott...

What they can do is turn the short trip Q111 to Farmers into its own route as well... Q115 to Farmers Blvd... Wouldn't run 24/7 more like 15/7 but it would help greatly and would also help separating lines... Giving that Farmers line it's own identity

Agreed South Jamaica Queens resident myself and ever since the Q114 was created service has been extremely reliable only disagreeable thing is that turning Q111 around at Farmers thing not a good idea.

If i'm not mistaken that is a DOT  issue not the fault of the MTA,they just provide the service. DOT  handles the stop placements and such.

No However BJC was just concern about the stop placements along the route; BJC didn't mention any service changes to the Q114...

Edited by B22viaAtlanticAv

I think that the Q113/114 are unreliable during the midday heading towards Jamaica. The traffic in Five Towns being the main culprit....

Each of the limited stops along Brewer gets good usage, so I don't which one would be eliminated. There are two instances where the limited stops that are close together.....

1. Linden/115 and Foch Blvd.

2. Farmers and 147th.

If i'm not mistaken that is a DOT issue not the fault of the MTA,they just provide the service. DOT handles the stop placements and such.

No However BJC was just concern about the stop placements along the route; BJC didn't mention any service changes to the Q114...

The stop placements are fine... Its LIMITED in JAMAICA

It's meant to fly thru Jamaica.... Now MY issue with the BOTH Limiteds are that they run back to back

Which makes NO sense in my eyes

The headway for both buses are 10mins... Give or take each leaving a min or 2 early or later than the other.... That right there messes things up...

That needs to be spaced out... If a 114 leaves at 1:00... That 113 shouldn't leave until 1:06...

The elimination of the short trip 137/140th Q111 just added on runs to the Farmers Trip

That's NOT going anywhere

It's actually more frequent now that they added those runs...

It's the Rosedale Q111 that's seeing the lack

I think that the Q113/114 are unreliable during the midday heading towards Jamaica. The traffic in Five Towns being the main culprit....

Each of the limited stops along Brewer gets good usage, so I don't which one would be eliminated. There are two instances where the limited stops that are close together.....

1. Linden/115 and Foch Blvd.

Each stop stop serves its purpose

Linden/115 most drivers changes happen THERE thus being in front of the depot

2. Farmers and 147th.

Farmers should be self explanatory but if it isn't

Here's the reason "Q3 JFK Airport"

147th is for those that live in the shelters and work over back towards Rockaway and the Post Office /DMV area

Edited by SevenEleven

I've always wondered why, at stops where lots of people try to get on for two distinct bus lines, the MTA doesn't do what a lot of other cities does and just mark out two lines with paint or a fence, like so:

pak-tam-chung-bus-stop-hong-kong.jpg

Soon as I saw that picture, I thought of Orchard Beach.

Anyway, lack of sidewalk space perhaps?... Unless you're talking about a major terminals......

I'm not fond of the current Q36 to Little Neck, but IMO, what you're saying (in bold) would defeat the purpose of bringing the Q79 back.... I mean, you could accomplish that w/o running the Q79 along Hillside.... I wouldn't bring back the Q79 as a means to help out the Q43.

I don't see it (running of a route along LNP) as an issue of running along Jamaica av vs. running along Hillside av.....

What's yall opinion about the Q114? they really need to go back to the drawing board and fix this route.

I don't view the Q114 any differently than I did the (old) Q113 local; don't see it as being much more than a notation change....

So I'm more or less indifferent about the route....

I'm not so sure what it is about the route that the MTA needs to go back to the drawing board with..... Guess it's because I tend to view the 111/113/114 all under the same umbrella (so to speak) - as functions of serving Brewer.... The demand is for Jamaica.... The routes work with each other (unlike what the MTA did w/ Woodhaven blvd) - meaning, the 111 (all local) to Rosedale, 113 (LTD throughout) to Far Rock, 114 LTD to Far Rock - local w/i the peninsula.... Save for the distance traveled, it's like any other LTD route that has a local variant after a certain point....

Now if the 114 ran all local from end to end, all day, then I'd start talking about drawing boards....

Q114 have too many stops for a LTD route.imo

Beat me to it.... Soon as I saw that comment, I was going to bring up the B103 w/i Canarsie.....

Too many stops in Canarsie (or the route in general) isn't one of the issues I have w/ it, but that's neither here nor there....

Edited by B35 via Church

Now if the 114 ran all local from end to end, all day, then I'd start talking about drawing boards....

Which was basically the situation beforehand with a different number

It used to be:

Q113 local (Far Rockaway via Rosedale)

Q113 limited (Far Rockaway via Rosedale)

Then they changed it up and had:

Q113 limited (Far Rockaway, no Rosedale)

Then they had the current iteration:

Q114 limited (Far Rockaway via Rosedale)

Which was basically the situation beforehand with a different number

It used to be:

Q113 limited (Far Rockaway via Rosedale)

Then they changed it up and had:

Then they had the current iteration:

Q114 limited (Far Rockaway via Rosedale)

Yeah, I mentioned the notation change... Regardless, thanks....

Comment should have read:

"Now if the 114 ran all local from end to end without the 113, all day, then I'd start talking about drawing boards...."

The point I wanted to convey with that particular statement was, if there was no LTD service along Brewer, then that would be something the MTA would have to quote-unquote fix.... They did that, back in either 2006 or 2007 (when limited service didn't only constitute the bypassing of stops in residential Lawrence & Cedarhurst; the Nassau expwy. routing)....

Union Turnpike Restructuring (rush hours only).

Here's a new Proposal in order to streamline services in the area

(6 Avenue Service)

QM9- Restructured as the new Glen Oaks to Midtown service

This proposal would give the Long Island Expwy corridor express bus service, which is limited currently. It was brought up on the NE Queens bus study, but it wasn't enacted because ridership levels would be undetermined. However, this proposal will bring express bus service on the LIE, however with Fresh Meadows and Glen Oaks riders seeing a faster ride because of the decrease in stops past Fresh Meadows and more direct path to/from Manhattan, primarily in the AM hour. The QM9 would operate the QM5 route from Glen Oaks, but would go up 188 Street, and pick-up where the current drop-offs are. The QM9 would then operate from 188 Street via the LIE, making the following stops (on the LIE):

-Utopia Parkway

- Parsons Blvd

- Kissena Blvd

- Main Street. 

Buses would then run express to/from Main Street .The afternoon routing will take Queens Blvd until the LIE, then turn left on the service road.

There will be a reduction in service for these riders, taking into account how the catchment area will be reduced. Here would be the new schedule:

NEW- QM9 Super Express to Midtown (AM)

From Glen Oaks:

6:20 AM, 6:35 AM, 6:50 AM, 7:05 AM, 7:15 AM, 7:25 AM, 7:37 AM, 7:50 AM

Compared to: 

6:20 AM, 6:30 AM, 6:40 AM, 6:50 AM, 6:58 AM, 7:05 AM, 7:13 AM, 7:20 AM, 7:28 AM, 7:36 AM,  7:48 AM

NEW- QM9 Super Express to Glen Oaks

From Midtown:

4:55 PM, 5:15 PM, 5:27 PM, 5:39 PM, 5:51 PM, 6:02 PM, 6:17 PM, 6:32 PM, 6:47 PM

Compared to:

4:55 PM, 5:12 PM, 5:22 PM, 5:32 PM, 5:42 PM, 5:52 PM, 6:02 PM, 6:12 PM, 6:24 PM, 6:36 PM, 6:48 PM

QM1- Service relabeled QM5

QM5- Operates full route during off-peak hours only, Rush hours only to/from 188 Street/73 Avenue (or 64 Avenue)

QM6- More Frequent Service in the early AM rush hour, as well as PM rush hour adjustments

During the weekday rush, QM5 buses will be run in conjunction to QM6 runs from the North Shore Towers. In the PM, QM5 buses will fill out spaces in between QM6 buses. One change that is not during the height of the rush hour is moving the current 6:40 AM QM1 to depart AT 6:35 PM. In addition, the current service between 3:45 PM and 4:55 PM will be modified, so that Union Tpke buses depart at 3:45 PM (QM5), 4:02 PM (QM6), 4:15 PM (QM5), 4:25 PM (QM5 to 188 St), 4:35 PM (QM6), 4:45 PM (QM5 to 188 St), and 4:55 PM (QM6), INSTEAD of

3:45 PM (QM5), 4:00 PM (QM1), 4:05 PM (QM6), 4:15 PM (QM5), 4:35 PM (QM5), 4:35 PM (QM6), 4:55 PM (QM6), 4:55 PM (QM5)

QM5/QM6 AM service during height of the rush hour:

Bus departs NST       Bus departs 188 Street/73 Avenue    Bus arrives Union Tpke/188 Street

6:30                                                 -                                               6:50

-                                                 6:54                                            6:56

6:40                                                 -                                               7:01

-                                                 7:04                                            7:06

6:50                                                 -                                               7:11

-                                                 7:14                                            7:16

7:00                                                 -                                               7:21

-                                                 7:24                                            7:36

7:10                                                 -                                               7:31

-                                                 7:34                                            7:36

7:20                                                 -                                               7:41

-                                                 7:44                                            7:46 

7:30                                                 -                                               7:51

-                                                 7:54                                            7:56 

7:40                                                 -                                               8:01

-                                                 8:06                                            8:08 

7:55                                                 -                                               8:16

-                                                 8:21                                            8:23

8:10                                                 -                                               8:31

QM5/QM6 bus service from 36 Street to Queens (PM height of the rush hour)

Depart 6 Ave/36 St         Depart 57 St/3 Ave            Arrive Union Tpke/Main St              QM5/QM6?

4:55                                 5:15                                           5:52                                QM6 to NST

5:05                                 5:25                                           6:02                                QM5 to 188 St

5:15                                 5:35                                           6:12                                QM6 to NST

5:22                                 5:42                                           6:19                                QM5 to 188 St

5:29                                 5:49                                           6:26                                QM5 to 188 St

5:35                                 5:55                                           6:22                                QM6 to NST

5:43                                 6:03                                           6:40                                QM5 to 188 St

5:51                                 6:11                                           6:48                                QM5 to 188 St

6:00                                 6:20                                           6:57                                QM6 to NST

6:09                                 6:29                                           7:06                                QM5 to 188 St

6:18                                 6:38                                           7:15                                QM5 to 188 St

6:27                                 6:47                                           7:24                                QM6 to NST

6:36                                 6:56                                           7:33                                QM5 to 188 St   

6:45                                 7:05                                           7:42                                QM5 to 188 St

6:54                                 7:14                                           7:51                                QM6 to NST

7:02                                 7:22                                           7:59                                QM5 to Glen Oaks via FM

The AM restructuring uses one more bus in the AM. Also, while it may seem that there are less buses on Union Turnpike, keep in mind that headways during the period the QM9 runs is no higher than every 8 minutes. Most of the times, an express bus passes every 5 minutes. In addition, 50% of those buses are the QM5 short-turns, which means that it has more capacity over the QM6 to pick up riders. PM Super Express service is discontinued, because the super express does not save any time, and is constantly delayed on the LIE, taking more time than the 75 minutes the bus is suppose to take. A QM9 is suppose to take 88 minutes in the PM, compared to the 95 minutes (after calculating) a QM5 normal trip is suppose to take. The two PM super expresses however have been added back in the form of one QM6 trip in the morning and one QM5 regular trip in the afternoon

Now, buses arrival/departures have been adjusted, and the same amount of buses currently used on the QM1/5/6 are being used on the QM5/6/9.

(3 Avenue Service)

QM9: Glen Oaks to East Midtown Super Express

Operates as the 3 Avenue variant of the QM9 6 Avenue branch

Schedule:

From Glen Oaks (AM)

6:40 AM, 6:57 AM, 7:07 AM, 7:17 AM, 7:29 AM, 7:44 AM, 7:59 AM

Compared to:

6:40 AM, 6:55 AM, 7:03 AM, 7:10 AM, 7:18 AM, 7:26 AM, 7:35 AM, 7:45 AM, 7:55 AM

To Glen Oaks (PM)

4:55 PM, 5:25 PM, 5:55 PM, 6:25 PM

QM5/QM6 3 Avenue service

Bus Departs NST    Bus Departs 260 St     Bus Departs 188 St/73 Avenue     Bus Departs Union Tpke/188 St

6:10                                    6:33                                             6:35

6:25                                    6:48                                             6:50

6:45                                                                                                                          7:05                                                                                                                                 7:13                                             7:15

7:00                                                                                                                          7:20

7:25                                             7:27

7:15                                                                                                                          7:35

7:40                                             7:42

7:30                                                                                                                          7:50

7:55                                             7:57

7:45                                                                                                                          8:05

8:18                                             8:20

8:10                                    8:33                                             8:35

8:25                                    8:48                                             8:50

9:03(begins 9 AM at 188/LIE)      9:05

8:55                                    9:18                                             9:20

PM Service:

Bus Departs 3 Ave/39 St      Bus departs 3 Ave/55 St        Bus Arrives Union Tpke/Main St      Destination

4:00                                       4:14                                           4:52                                 Glen Oaks

4:15                                       4:29                                           5:07                                 Fresh Meadows

4:30                                       4:45                                           5:24                                 Glen Oaks

4:45                                       5:00                                           5:37                                 Fresh Meadows

5:00                                       5:15                                           5:52                                 Fresh Meadows

5:15                                       5:30                                           6:07                                 North Shore Towers

5:27                                       5:42                                           6:19                                 North Shore Towers

5:39                                       5:54                                           6:31                                 Fresh Meadows

5:51                                       6:05                                           6:42                                 North Shore Towers

6:03                                       6:17                                           6:54                                 Fresh Meadows

6:18                                       6:32                                           7:09                                 North Shore Towers

Then as regular schedule 

There will be a short period in the early morning when the QM5 (3 Avenue) and QM9 (6 Avenue branch) will be running simultaneously.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven