Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Here's the revised PM schedule from 3 Avenue:

PM Service:

Bus Departs 3 Ave/39 St      Bus departs 3 Ave/55 St        Bus Arrives Union Tpke/Main St      Destination

4:00                                       4:14                                           4:52                                 Glen Oaks

4:15                                       4:29                                           5:07                                 Fresh Meadows*

4:30                                       4:45                                           5:24                                 Glen Oaks

4:45                                       5:00                                           5:38                                 Fresh Meadows

5:00                                       5:15                                           5:53                                 Fresh Meadows

5:13                                       5:28                                           6:06                                 North Shore Towers

5:25                                       5:40                                           6:18                                 North Shore Towers

5:37                                       5:52                                           6:30                                 Fresh Meadows

5:49                                       6:04                                           6:42                                 North Shore Towers

6:03                                       6:17                                           6:55                                 Fresh Meadows

6:18                                       6:32                                           7:10                                 North Shore Towers

6:33                                       6:47                                           7:25                                 Fresh Meadows

6:48                                       7:01                                           7:39                                 Fresh Meadows*

7:03                                       7:16                                           7:54                                 Glen Oaks

* Only trips to run to 64 Avenue. All other trips terminate at 73 Avenue.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what about the QM8 Super Express in the Mornings?

In the AM, I would have the SX expanded, leaving at 6:42 AM, 6:52 AM, 7:02 AM, 7:12 AM, 7:22 AM, 7:37 AM. One QM8 trip would be eliminated, however it would be offset with an extra QM7  between 6:57 AM and 7:27 AM. There would be a bus at 7:05 AM, 7:12 AM, 7:19 AM, and 7:26 AM, instead of one every 10 minutes at 7:07 AM, etc...

The current PM QM8 SX pattern would be eliminated. All buses would do the loop. The SX pattern of the QM8 is expected to take 97 minutes in the PM compared to as it currently is. However, more riders will benefit from it instead of sitting almost 2 hours to get to Glen Oaks.

QM8 SX Buses would leave Pearl/Frankfort at 4:55 PM, 5:10 PM, 5:25 PM, 5:40 PM, 6:00 PM

(If you see closely though, the QM8 SX would first pass Pearl/Frankfort at 5:10 PM, then 5:25 PM, and 5:40 PM, around the same times when the current QM8 SX departs to Glen Oaks from Wall Street). 

The QM7 would depart in the PM now at 2:15 PM, 3:15 PM, 3:50 PM, 4:20 PM, 4:50 PM, 5:05 PM, 5:17 PM, 5:29 PM, 5:39 PM, 5:51 PM, 6:03 PM, 6:15 PM, 6:45 PM, 7:15 PM

Keep in mind that there would be mostly Union Turnpike riders on that bus, with the exception of the few 188 Street riders. Therefore, the decrease in headway is not as bad as it seems. 

QM8 regular trips depart at: 4:35 PM, 6:30 PM, 7:00 PM, 7:30 PM

That is a very interesting proposal. It would help woth the QM5's bizarre, meandering route which is delay prone.

There are quite a few people who drive up to Union tpke from the LIE area, who would no longer need to drive to the bus.

My concern about running on the LIE service road would be traffic. When the LIE backs up (ie, every morning), the service road clogs as well. This may set up buses to be unreliable from the start.

That is a very interesting proposal. It would help woth the QM5's bizarre, meandering route which is delay prone.

There are quite a few people who drive up to Union tpke from the LIE area, who would no longer need to drive to the bus.

My concern about running on the LIE service road would be traffic. When the LIE backs up (ie, every morning), the service road clogs as well. This may set up buses to be unreliable from the start.

Before about 7:30-8 AM, the delays in the morning aren't so bad on the service road. Therefore, everything until about the 7:05 AM departure should not have so many problems going through the area on the service road. It increases, but the area where I see the issue mostly arise with back ups is along Kissena Blvd and into LeFrak City. 

My main concern with back ups was in the PM, because there's a lot going on, and the LIE can be congested, and the service road from Main Street to Kissena Blvd has cars merging off the LIE Main Road to the service road to turn off to residential and commercial roads, and it can get bad at times. It also makes 4 stops, so as long as it is not picking up a huge amount of people and then getting backed up, it will not be as unreliable as if many people were using the bus at those stops.

• 3 weeks later...

Proposal: Reroute the Q7 from 150 St onto Baisley Blvd, running to Linden Blvd for service to St. Albans Hospital and St. Albans LIRR. To replace Q7 service to the Cargo terminal, run Q37 service as follows: 135 Av > 130 St > 133rd Av > 140 St > 135th Av > 143 St > 133rd Av > 150 St, then taking the normal Q7 route to the Cargo Terminal.

Edited by bobtehpanda

Anyone remember this study from 2014, the one with the Q105? I was thinking about it a couple of minutes ago. Planning at its worst.

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning/download/pdf/plans-studies/western-queens/western_queens_transportation_study.pdf

What didn't you agree with in the plan? @GojiMet86?

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at the Q17 schedule wouldn't it be smarter for the Q17 to run out of CP and not Jamaica? Maybe they could CP could take the Q17 and give them the Q20 and Q31. (Q76 if needed)

First and foremost CP doesn't have the Q20 Q31 and Q76...

CP is College Point

What you really mean is CS (Casey Stengal aka Flushing)

Secondly for Jamaica to give up the Q17 they'd have to be getting something back that's equal basically

First and foremost CP doesn't have the Q20 Q31 and Q76...

CP is College Point

What you really mean is CS (Casey Stengal aka Flushing)

Secondly for Jamaica to give up the Q17 they'd have to be getting something back that's equal basically

Oops haha I didn't even realize I put CP yeah I know its CS that was a mistake thanks for the correcting

But if CS give all it Jamica routes excluding the Q44 to Jamaica and the give the Q17 to CS I pretty sure it would be more efficient considering the short runs are from Flushing and not Jamaica 

Take a look at the Q17 schedule wouldn't it be smarter for the Q17 to run out of CP and not Jamaica? Maybe they could CP could take the Q17 and give them the Q20 and Q31. (Q76 if needed)

Jamaica depot is only a few blocks away from the Q17's last stop. The Q31 could go to Jamaica which could interline the runs on the Q30 and Q31 but a route will have to go to Casey Stengel. Currently there is no route from Jamaica that can go to CS. It would be best to keep things the same for now.

Jamaica depot is only a few blocks away from the Q17's last stop. The Q31 could go to Jamaica which could interline the runs on the Q30 and Q31 but a route will have to go to Casey Stengel. Currently there is no route from Jamaica that can go to CS. It would be best to keep things the same for now.

Hence that route swap in 2005...

Jamaica-Q30

CS-Q31

QV-Q27, X63/64

• 2 weeks later...

QM4 route:

On its eastern end, the route goes north on 164 Street to start-end at the LIE. This made sense when the route was assigned to College Point, since the deadhead was an easy-on and easy-off from interstate highways. However, with the route now assigned to Baisley Park Depot, the northern end seems to line up the wrong way. What I would ask is: what is the ridership along 164 Street north of Jewel? Is it worth keeping the route along 164 Street? If not, why not just have the QM4 share a terminus with the Q64?

QM4 route:

On its eastern end, the route goes north on 164 Street to start-end at the LIE. This made sense when the route was assigned to College Point, since the deadhead was an easy-on and easy-off from interstate highways. However, with the route now assigned to Baisley Park Depot, the northern end seems to line up the wrong way. What I would ask is: what is the ridership along 164 Street north of Jewel? Is it worth keeping the route along 164 Street? If not, why not just have the QM4 share a terminus with the Q64?

I would extend the QM4 east via Jewel, 164th Street, 73rd Avenue, 188th Street, to 64th Avenue. Then get rid of the QM1. 

QM4 route:

You always ask these questions about keeping routes and then never come back to defend your proposals.  Why not go out and ride the routes for yourself before drawing conclusions about moving them or cutting them?

You always ask these questions about keeping routes and then never come back to defend your proposals.  Why not go out and ride the routes for yourself before drawing conclusions about moving them or cutting them?

QM4 route:

Riders do go all the way to the end and route is too short to cut it, I could see an extension to 188th st though to supplement the QM1 during rush hour and eliminate QM5 re route during off peak, it would get rid of the issue of B/O's skipping the QM1 portion of the line. 

Riders do go all the way to the end and route is too short to cut it, I could see an extension to 188th st though to supplement the QM1 during rush hour and eliminate QM5 re route during off peak, it would get rid of the issue of B/O's skipping the QM1 portion of the line. 

I would extend the QM4 east via Jewel, 164th Street, 73rd Avenue, 188th Street, to 64th Avenue. Then get rid of the QM1. 

The question is how?  The QM1 only runs during peak periods anyway and the QM4 sees good usage during peak periods, so wouldn't that still require more buses anyway? Additionally, reliability could become a factor as well.  Off-peak however, extending the QM4 makes sense for sure, but you'd eat into the QM5's ridership, which isn't that hot either on weekends.  

The question is how?  The QM1 only runs during peak periods anyway and the QM4 sees good usage during peak periods, so wouldn't that still require more buses anyway? Additionally, reliability could become a factor as well.  Off-peak however, extending the QM4 makes sense for sure, but you'd eat into the QM5's ridership, which isn't that hot either on weekends.  

isn't the QM4 weekend ridership worse?

isn't the QM4 weekend ridership worse?

Overall weekend ridership yes. However, the DH mileage and time is just about the same if the operator takes the right route. Otherwise, it will be a longer DH. Now, that is true that there are people riding until the stops along 164 Street, and I've seen this on midday trips to, where buses pick up some people along 164 Street, or drop off some people along 164 Street.

Furthermore, I have the feeling that the QM4 just runs too much, especially on weekends. However, the problem is that ridership on those weekend QM4's are not varied (in other words, they carry close to the average per bus), rather than have big fluctuations in ridership throughout the course of the day like the other weekend QM's (with the exception of several trips). That's obviously not a good thing either, since average per bus is not very high.

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

I would like to see a limited bus service on northern Blvd q13 or q12.

The q65 should be rerouted via Bowne st till Roosevelt ave make a left create a stand next to n20/21 on Roosevelt makes a right at college point Blvd.

The q44sbs should be rerouted to its old route along 150th street and grand central parkway. Hillside ave between stupin Blvd and queens Blvd is a disaster when the bus lanes aren't in affect. Q20 would remain the same.

Q31/76 going to Jamaica depot

Q17 going to CS depot so they can run some artics on the q17 durning rush hour.

Q27 extended to Belt pkwy.

Q75 being returned and maybe extended to queens boro college. Glen oaks and bayside can use the bus service. It was always packed for rush hour going to Jamaica in the mornings. Got cut durning the last cut backs.

Glad to see artics on the q111/113/114 dont need them on q110.

The q25/65 could use artics

So can the q17/27/46

Extend the q34 along willets point Blvd to Francis Lewis Blvd

Add bus service along 73rd ave?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I have a proposal for the Q38, which essentially would split the route into several routes. To be more specific, I would have the Q38 split into 3 routes.

The portion that would be the Q38 would be the Middle Village (Fresh Pond Road) to Forest Hills portion of the route. Service would operate every 30 minutes instead of every 20 minutes during middays. Runtime for that segment is 20-25 minutes.

The Middle Village (M) portion to Elmhurst portion of the route (basically the Eliot Avenue portion) would become the Q68. The route would have a service increase to run every 10 minutes during the rush hour, but during midday periods, would run every 30 minutes (instead of every 20 minutes). 20 minute headways would still exist during the shoulder periods. The last stop for the Q68 would be at 59 Avenue/92 Street, and the first stop would be at 57 Avenue/92 Street.

The LeFrak City portion would become the Q78. Service would also be increased to run every 10 minutes during peak periods, and 15 minutes during midday hours, due to overcrowding, short runtime, or both. Q78 buses would originate with the Q88 and terminate with the Q88 on 92 Street. Three buses would be needed during weekday rush hours, and two bus at all other times. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, it might seem a little too much to divide the services like this (especially to have a LeFrak City Shuttle operate on its own), however all three routes signify the different ridership patterns on the line more or less. There are few riders from the Eliot Avenue segment taking the bus past the (M) and getting off along the Penelope Avenue portion. There is no need for such service pattern. Also, the MTA has not increased frequency despite constant increases in buses. On the northern portion of the line, the route sometimes flags people since there isn't enough space to fit everybody. On the southern portion though, there are relatively few standees, but they're not empty either (buses are usually SRO). 

The southern and the Eliot Avenue segment of the northern portion do not need 20 minute headways. 30 minute headways should be sufficient. LeFrak City and surrounding areas do use the bus on that side of the northern portion of the route, so that is the only segment of the route which would retain the 20 minute headways. There would also be some minor improvements to headways during the shoulder period. 

During the rush hour, there would be 3 buses for the Q78, 6 buses for the Q68, and 5 buses for the Q38. The Q38 currently needs 10 buses during the AM rush, and 12 during the PM rush. However, just a reminder that there are service improvements on some of the segments, so that is why there are more buses in general. 

During middays, there would be 2 buses for the Q78, 2 buses for the Q68, and 2 buses for the Q38. The Q38 currently needs 6 buses, so the amount of buses stay the same.

During early evening hours, there would be 2 buses for the Q78, 3 for the Q68, and 2 for the Q38. The Q38 currently needs 4-7 buses (because levels vary during those times). During late evening hours, the Q68 and Q78 would each use one less bus (Late evening to me is after 9 PM). 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would also help keep the bunching to a minimum, as buses would only have to deal with one certain chokepoint (if any), instead of multiple at the same time, increasing reliability.

Alternatively, the eastern and western segments of the northern portion could remain as one bus route (Q68). The route would run every 10 minutes during the rush hour, 20 minutes during the midday hours, 20 minutes during the early evening hour, 30 during late evening hours. For that, 8 buses would be needed during peak periods, 4 during middays and early evenings, and 2 during late evening hours.

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL