Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Since it's at night, they could just extend the Q35 to Beach 67th Street. They can't transfer from anything else because nothing else runs. (Unless you're referring to them transferring at the other end of the trip, outside the Rockaways)

overnight Q35 trips barely see any passengers at all! and the one or two that do rarely go past 116th st.

during the day, most riders who take the 35 to the 22 stay on way past B67th st. so in other words, another money waster.

DOes anyone know why the 35 and the 113 runs overnights and not the 22? i do. I know a few others (B35 comes to mind! LOL) do. But just for debate sake who can answer that question?

for the record, ive noticed a lot of "suggestions" seem to be "copycat" plans of recent actual plans and made by those who dont use the particular service. Now i see a few here who are at the least VERY knowledgable (sp) about rockaway service and i dont see any over the top ideas from them compared to everyone else. Am i the only one who notices this?

Fact is, the rockaways have seen its biggest and greatest service improvement since the 60s or so. and when the MTA took over, their first priority was making the service reliable and is most cases, more frequent. The recent changes are in responce to ABTS being built and making some routes "more profitable". All ive been seeing here is extentions not needed, and overnight crosstown bus service (also not needed).

after seeing bus service change there in the last 22 years, theres only IMO one thing needed: Artics! Artics on the Q35 for the summer only, the Q53 could use them and even the Q113. Thats it. Artics would take care of those 3 routes crush loads especially during the summer.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

overnight Q35 trips barely see any passengers at all! and the one or two that do rarely go past 116th st.

during the day, most riders who take the 35 to the 22 stay on way past B67th st. so in other words, another money waster.

DOes anyone know why the 35 and the 113 runs overnights and not the 22? i do. I know a few others (B35 comes to mind! LOL) do. But just for debate sake who can answer that question?

Fact is, the rockaways have seen its biggest and greatest service improvement since the 60s or so. and when the MTA took over, their first priority was making the service reliable and is most cases, more frequent. The recent changes are in responce to ABTS being built and making some routes "more profitable". All ive been seeing here is extentions not needed, and overnight crosstown bus service (also not needed).

I don't care what would happen during the day because this wouldn't apply during the day.

Second of all, this isn't a "money waster" if it means the Rockaway Park Shuttle could get eliminated at night.

As for why the Q22 doesn't run overnights, it's because it duplicates the (A), (S) and Q35.

And I wasn't even making it a serious, passionate suggestion that I was defending to the death. I was just saying that the idea has its merits.

I don't see the point of running overnight Q35's to Arverne.... those hrs, Q35's are timed to meet up w/ the (2).... Extending Q35's to still have them maintain a timed connection with the 2 would basically mean you'd have to run less service..... Not worth it, if you ask me.....

Of those you do see that are taking Queens bound Q35's after like midnight, are ppl. that live on that side of the rockaways

(meaning, as was said, these folks aren't heading to B. 116th for the A/S, or anywhere otherwise east of that point that doesn't involve the subway)......

Why extend Q35's eastward, when (A) service east of the wye (meaning, service to/from Far Rockaway) during overnight hours are still running? You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone seeking service b/w Arverne & B. 169th (which is the same basic reason 22's aren't running).... and especially ppl. riding b/w Arverne & B116th st, to anywhere in Brooklyn.... I mean, during the daytime, hell yeah you have a lot of folks making that commute (Q35 to the Q22 & vice versa for the return trip)....

Overnights though...

** crickets.gif **

Anyway, as far as why the Q22 doesn't have overnight service, ridership flat out dies after a certain hour out there... I'm surprised that service runs til about 1-2am to be honest..... Virtually (I really wanna say literally) no one is riding within the rockaways during those hours.... It makes more sense to dedicate overnight service to the Q35 over the Q22....

As for the Q35 & Q113 having overnight service.... It's due to the outlying areas they serve (2 train in Brooklyn, etc & the E/F/J in Jamaica, etc., respectively)... No "hawk" service on those 2 routes would leave too huge a hole in service - basically relegating anyone actually needing service to the rockaways to making their way to the (A)/ (S)....

Edited by B35 via Church

Well, not sure this fits in with the Rockaways talks as this concerns the Brooklyn end of the Q35, but since SL directed me here, I'll make my point.

As some of you know recently the Q35 routing was changed from one triangle to another. This time the n/b buses makes a left on Av I and the runs north to the Target garage/Applebees area for drop offs and makes a right on Av H which totally bypasses the Nostrand-Flatbush intersection. This to me is totally absurd and stupid. Why the hell would they move the Q35 to an 'obscure' spot? There's no way any person is going to pick b/w staying by the B41 stop or risk crossing a 'dangerous' intersection at Flatbush and Av H. Someone really F'ed it up by doing this move. They really need to change the stops or return the old n/b route and allow pickups at the same block where the B103 has its layover and then turn south on Nostrand to return back to Flatbush via Av I.

Yes the new routing is good for avoiding traffic, but now it's absolutely terrible as far as ridership goes heading s/b.

Outside of the jockeying for position/lack of space b/w SB B41's, B103's, and Queens bound Q35's on flatbush b/w Nostrand & H, I still think this Q35 move has something to do w/ the B103.... Way I see it, more B103 short turns to come in the future = removal of the Q35 on the NB side of Av H......but aside from that....

This re-route to me, prolongs the junction bound Q35 a bit.... and as for catching the Queens bound Q35, it is a bit of a hassle to cross Av. H to get to the bus.... Forget about crossing 'H at flatbush; too many turning vehicles - what I did was walk mid-block on Av. H, and cross from there... little less to worry about (if you don't mind jaywalking, that is).... That parking garage entry/exit on Nostrand exacerbates matters...

You (GC) may be right about the slightly increased B41 usage (for those that use the Q35 w/i Brooklyn)... it will be due to flat out laziness of not wanting to walk over to the Q35 now, since the kings plz. bound 41 would retain it's stop just south of the junction.....

Same here about crossing in the middle of the block b/w the Models and Verizon store sections. I'm not risking my life to cross at that corner on FB.

Tonight coming home, the Q35 bus had a decent amount of riders, but only a handful got off at Kings Highway. It seems like most riders were heading either to Kings Plaza or Queens. So seems like that's going to be true about increased use on the B41.

Totally different compared to in the past where at least a good amount of people would take the Q35 for one stop. As good as the B41 is, the Q35 was an excellent supporting line on FB as generally run times are consistent at around 15 min headways.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Same here about crossing in the middle of the block b/w the Models and Verizon store sections. I'm not risking my life to cross at that corner on FB.

Tonight coming home, the Q35 bus had a decent amount of riders, but only a handful got off at Kings Highway. It seems like most riders were heading either to Kings Plaza or Queens. So seems like that's going to be true about increased use on the B41.

Totally different compared to in the past where at least a good amount of people would take the Q35 for one stop. As good as the B41 is, the Q35 was an excellent supporting line on FB as generally run times are consistent at around 15 min headways.

I agree. The current Q35 path is stupid. They should have kept it at Av H, Nostrand, Flatbush. Word on the street is the Q35 is in front of Target so the Junction can be the B103's full time terminal

Word on the street is the Q35 is in front of Target so the Junction can be the B103's full time terminal

LMAO...

If there's any truth to that, then this latest route alteration where they got the NB buses now using 7th, 9th, and 5th.... Is actually an attempt to sabotage the northern portion of the route......

Incredible.....

Since there's Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, how about Queens.

To me:

Q72: Extend via Queens Blvd non-stop to Woodhaven Blvd-Queens Center Mall.

Q33 Bus Stop at 82nd St/Northern Blvd should be combined with Q32 bus stop, so folks can take which bus leaves first.

Is possible (MTA) could possibly combine Q49 and Q29 next?

Edited by FamousNYLover

Since there's Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, how about Queens bus thread?.

To me here my ideas:

Q33 Bus Stop at 82nd St/Northern Blvd should be combined with Q32 bus stop, so folks can take which bus leaves first.

Q72: You have the Q59/Q60, and the shopping shuttle doing that job

Q33: Reasonable

Q29: Buses should be extended to 74 street and then be combined

A stealth cut wouldn't surprise me anymore. Come to think of it, it does sound like the MTA to cut corners.

I WOULD CARE! (Sorry about caps...)

The B103 is used way too much north of The Junction to be truncated. At the least, weekday service to Downtown has to stick around.

Why are you getting so worked up over what the troll says? Ignore him.

Q1:Unchanged

Q2:Unchanged

Q3: Add extra rush hour trips

Q4: Unchanged

Q5: Limited buses should serve Green Acres as well

Q6; Unchanged

Q7: Unchanged

Q8: Unchangec

Q9:Trips extended via 130 street to JFK

Q10:Limiteds operate via 130 street, Locals via Conduit, and all 130 past 11pm

Q11: Unchanged

Q12; Unchanged

Q13: Operate to City Line, service on Bell Blvd discontinued

Q31:Service Continue on Bell Blvd until Fort Totten. Weekend service restored along Bell Blvd only

Q38:Consolidaded

Q67: Operate on 69, then Q38 route to M station from 69/Eliot, then continue Q38 route to Queens/63 Ed

Q59: Extended to 108 street/62 DR via Q38 routing

Q52: When instituted should follow Q38 route from Corona to Woodhaven, then limited route to Arverne

Q88: Extended along Eliot Avenue to 69/Eliot via Eliot

Others: Unchanged

The shopping shuttle is a free bus service from Regi shopping center to QCM during the shopping season

(September-January). It runs Prevost buses

Since there's Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, how about Queens.

To me:

Besides, most Q72 riders heading to Queens Center would get off at 57th Av/Junction Blvd. As for a Q29/49 merger, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with it, connecting with the (7) at 90th St to fill the gap between Junction and 82nd, even if it came at the loss of the Queens Blvd express transfer at 74th St.

Potential route for the merged route:

Southbound: Astoria Blvd, 92nd St, Roosevelt Av, Britton Av, Hampton St, then Q29 route to Glendale

Northbound: Hampton St, Elmhurst Av, 91st St, Astoria Blvd

I am compiling a Queens plan, much like my Brooklyn plan... (wow, I started this...)

Here is my most important piece:

Q27/Q57

Q27: Flushing, Main St Sta - Rosedale, Francis Lewis Bl

Via Springfield & Francis Lewis Blvd

(LTD)

Q57: Flushing, Main St Sta (A) OR Fort Totten (B) - Green Acres Mall

Via Bell Blvd & Springfield Blvd

(SBS, Queensboro College-Green Acres. North of there, operates without dedicated bus lanes.)

Some service will be taken from Q27 to do this, but extra buses (whichever bus wins BT&E) will be ordered for SBS.

Edited by ThrexxBus

From me:

Q5: Limited-Stop Service on weekends (at least saturdays). Times from 11:00am-7:30pm.

Q17: Add LTD stop service on saturdays 9:00am-7:00pm

Q25: 10-12 minute frequency increase on Saturdays from morning to evenings.

Q30: Add LTD Stop service on weekdays. Eastbound buses from 7:00am-9:00am. Southbound buses 2:30pm-5:00pm

Q36: Eliminate LTD Stop service. Yes, I still stand by this.

Q42: Restore Saturday service. 45-60 minute headways.

Q46: Add LTD stop stop service for PM from 3:30pm-6:30pm.

Q65: Same as Q25.

Q74: Restored for Rush Hours only from 7:00am-9:30am & 3:00pm-6:30am

Q84: increased frequency to 8-10 Minutes for Rush Hours.

From me:

Q5: Limited-Stop Service on weekends (at least saturdays). Times from 11:00am-7:30pm.

Q17: Add LTD stop service on saturdays 9:00am-7:00pm

Q25: 10-12 minute frequency increase on Saturdays from morning to evenings.

Q30: Add LTD Stop service on weekdays. Eastbound buses from 7:00am-9:00am. Southbound buses 2:30pm-5:00pm

Q36: Eliminate LTD Stop service. Yes, I still stand by this.

Q42: Restore Saturday service. 45-60 minute headways.

Q46: Add LTD stop stop service for PM from 3:30pm-6:30pm.

Q65: Same as Q25.

Q74: Restored for Rush Hours only from 7:00am-9:30am & 3:00pm-6:30am

Q84: increased frequency to 8-10 Minutes for Rush Hours.

The Q25 already runs every 10 mins on Saturdays and the Q65 already runs every 12 mins on Saturday...

The Q30 doesn't have the ridership for ltd service

The Q46 is fine as is.