Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

12 hours ago, Fredrick Wells 3 said:

Maybe the Q18 should extend to Ridgewood to be somewhat relevant. The headways are horrible.

Relevancy isn't the issue (matter of fact, I'd say the Q18 is underrated).... The route gets good usage on both halves of the thing....

I don't have a problem with a route running b/w Astoria & Maspeth by itself, the issue is the way the Q18 does it; south of the (7), the thing is inefficient.....

If the onus is to have separate routes run along 65th pl. & 69th st, one of those routes should remain running between the neighborhoods of Astoria & Maspeth.... The other route in such a scenario should run to Ridgewood, but should not run as far north as Astoria.....

In laymens, the Q18 should not be one continuous route running between Astoria & Ridgewood.... 

12 hours ago, Fredrick Wells 3 said:

The Q24 doesn't run frequent enough for a LIMITED. I would leave the Lafayette/Patchen service alone as the network coverage is needed.

While people do ride long distances on the Q24, long routes in general doesn't necessarily or automatically attribute to warranted network coverage... You have a tendency to implicate that in your posts.

Rest of this retort I concur with....

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm inclined to agree with a service along Main making less stops b/w Jamaica & Flushing (and onward), but I don't see why that service has to be SBS exactly.....

Regardless of which SBS route it was, someone else on here recently had a suggestion that consisted of an express SBS or whatever, and to me, the concept is nonsensical.... For all that, just create a commuter local & be done with it.....

On 4/6/2019 at 10:25 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I have a few updates to my Queens Bus Redesign Document (and Map) :

Q7: Cut From Euclid Avenue to Rockaway Blvd. This Portion is replaced by a Brooklyn Route. Buses are rerouted and Extended via Baisley Blvd and Bedell Street. Under TOD, I'd have the Q7 Terminate at Locust Manor Station, but instead I have them Terminating at Springfield Blvd and 145th Road. 

Q18: All buses rerouted via 69th Street. A new route takes the 65th Place portion of the Q18 route.

Q24: Receives a Limited Service, but is Cut to Broadway Junction. The Same Route that replaced the Brooklyn Portion of the Q7 can also run via Broadway if warranted. 

Q62: A new Queens Route that I came up with. Replaces the Greenpoint Avenue Portion of the B24 and continues to Run on Roosevelt Avenue until Woodside Avenue. From Woodside Avenue, the Q62 runs with the Q18 until 65th Place. It will have the same Terminal as the Q18. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13bgZvRvkYdMhcMTbtcePbyqwYp9KfRrMgsB-McrdfdM/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TFLioK_1NnV15T-J0gOIR7WFRvp2GKz3&usp=sharing

Your Q7 idea had me up until I seen the part about terminating at Locust Manor Station.... now that idea makes NO sense at all being that the surrounding buses already there (Q3. Q85) No need for a 3rd Bus... what I WOULD do is have the 7 go to the Post Office via the Cargo Area... I think that option of the Q6 and Q7 to the Post Office would work 

2 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

Your Q7 idea had me up until I seen the part about terminating at Locust Manor Station.... now that idea makes NO sense at all being that the surrounding buses already there (Q3. Q85) No need for a 3rd Bus... what I WOULD do is have the 7 go to the Post Office via the Cargo Area... I think that option of the Q6 and Q7 to the Post Office would work 

There was an earlier plan to have the Q7 rerouted from JFK Airport entirely to serve Green Acres Mall and have a Q6 Branch serve the Q7 JFK Airport terminal. Maybe that can work.

Edited by JeremiahC99

On 4/12/2019 at 11:51 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

There was an earlier plan to have the Q7 rerouted from JFK Airport entirely to serve Green Acres Mall and have a Q6 Branch serve the Q7 JFK Airport terminal. Maybe that can work.

No... I get the idea but the Q7 nah.... 

Q111 Could be extended from Francis Lewis to Green Acres

30 minutes ago, JFK Depot said:

No... I get the idea but the Q7 nah.... 

Q111 Could be extended from Francis Lewis to Green Acres

The Q11 would be great as well. That was another earlier plan to improve Queens Bus routes.

And why don’t you want a Q7 to Green Acres? The line has potential to better service Southeastern Queens, NOT JFK Airport.

Edited by JeremiahC99

You're using current routes as reference points for ideas (I counted 8 in that previous post)... Don't know if you do or don't, but I get the sense that you believe that routes'll be preserved with this redesign..... This agency's looking to cut costs.... When the dust settles, I don't believe a single one out of the 107 that we do have in Queens will be left standing.... Not one.... Not even the SBS routes.

- @B35 via Church

Bringing this over from the Queens Bus Redesign Article thread (or whatever you wanna call it), I'm Curious to know what those 8 routes were that I used as Reference Points for ideas. I can Already think of 4 from the Top of my mind. (Those being the Q23, Q42, Q67 and Q72)

On 4/13/2019 at 10:49 PM, JeremiahC99 said:

The Q11 would be great as well. That was another earlier plan to improve Queens Bus routes.

And why don’t you want a Q7 to Green Acres? The line has potential to better service Southeastern Queens, NOT JFK Airport.

The Q5 and Q85 are enough to handle the crowds waiting for a city bus by the Macy's Parking Lot. It's the n1 that needs more service for people heading to Elmont, or Broadway and Sheridan to catch n31/32.

19 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

- @B35 via Church

Bringing this over from the Queens Bus Redesign Article thread (or whatever you wanna call it), I'm Curious to know what those 8 routes were that I used as Reference Points for ideas. I can Already think of 4 from the Top of my mind. (Those being the Q23, Q42, Q67 and Q72)

?

Count the number of routes you mentioned in this post.

I have a few new route ideas. 

1.  A New Route - the Q61, will run from Forest Park to Flushing via Yellowstone Blvd, 108th Street, and College Point Blvd. The Q61 will continue up Roosevelt Avenue and turn onto Union Street before taking over the Q34 route before terminating at Willets Point 
  2. A revival of the Q79 that'll run from Bellrose LIRR via Little Neck Parkway to Little Neck. The route will turn on Union Turnpike to serve Glen Oaks Oval before continuing up Little Neck Parkway. Some Buses will short turn at Glen Oaks Oval. 
  3. The Q35 shall no longer be a part of the Queens Bus Network and instead be renamed B53.
  4. The Q41 and Q42 shall be consolidated into one route.
  5. Q29 and Q33 are consolidated into one Route. Where 82nd Street, Jackson Heights is on the (7). This would be done at an attempt to decongest Roosevelt Avenue.

17 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Q29 and Q33 are consolidated into one Route. Where 82nd Street, Jackson Heights is on the (7). This would be done at an attempt to decongest Roosevelt Avenue.

Both routes are so f**ked up in the rush hour by traffic (Queens Blvd and Roosevelt/any double parkers respectively) that combining them together may create even worse reliability

17 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

The Q35 shall no longer be a part of the Queens Bus Network and instead be renamed B53.

why. changing route names just confuses people. it could pass as a B-route but whatever confusion that change would cause is not really worth it IMO

18 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

The Q41 and Q42 shall be consolidated into one route.

Sure I guess? But again, why. You'd still be short turning the majority of the Q41s so what's the point in combining them.

12 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

The Q35 shall no longer be a part of the Queens Bus Network and instead be renamed B53.

I would rather keep the Q35 with Queens Divison. Instead, I have some rather neat changes for the Q22 and Q35.

The Q22 would be extended via the Marine Pkwy Bridge and Flatbush Avenue to the current Q35 terminal at the Flatbush Avenue (2)(5) station.

The Q35 would be rerouted west along Avenue U, Knapp Street (which currently has no bus service), and Emmons Avenue/Shore Pkwy to the Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) station. This would ensure direct access between Southern Brooklyn and the popular Rockaway Peninsula, a trip that currently requires three buses or multiple subway transfers. Those two options consume LOTS OF TIME. It would also serve the Knapp Street corridor, which currently has no bus service, as I said. During late nights, when the Q22 doesn’t run, the Q35 would continue to serve the Flatbush Avenue (2) station.

In addition, I would also propose the the route be extended east along Beach Channel Drive to Beach 54th Street and Beach Channel Drive. This would give people who live closer to Beach Channel closet access to a bus route.

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

1.  A New Route - the Q61, will run from Forest Park to Flushing via Yellowstone Blvd, 108th Street, and College Point Blvd. The Q61 will continue up Roosevelt Avenue and turn onto Union Street before taking over the Q34 route before terminating at Willets Point 
  2. A revival of the Q79 that'll run from Bellrose LIRR via Little Neck Parkway to Little Neck. The route will turn on Union Turnpike to serve Glen Oaks Oval before continuing up Little Neck Parkway. Some Buses will short turn at Glen Oaks Oval. 
  3. The Q35 shall no longer be a part of the Queens Bus Network and instead be renamed B53.
  5. Q29 and Q33 are consolidated into one Route. Where 82nd Street, Jackson Heights is on the (7). This would be done at an attempt to decongest Roosevelt Avenue.

I don’t know what to say about your proposed Q61 route. However I do wish that the Q23 had a direct transfer to the Woodhaven Blvd routes just because I think it would allow for more travel options and would properly. Currently if you were coming off of the Woodhaven Blvd routes you could get a transfer to the Q23, however there is no transfer from the Q23 to those routes without having to do a lot of walking and or transfer to the Q54. I would want it to be via Yellowstone Blvd just because it would be faster but I know the residential area of Forest Hills see decent usage so I would keep the Q23 on 69th Ave until it hits Metropolitan Ave. This way it doesn’t have to run on Loubet St, Kessel Street and Continental Ave. The Q23 would run in both directions to Woodhaven Blvd via Metropolitan Ave. All Q23 service to the Forest View Towers would be eliminated in favor of the Q11 and Q21 having its stopped moved to Woodhaven and Union Turnpike. 

I also think that there is high demand for a route that runs from the Queens Center Mall Area to Flushing via Corona. The downside to the Q58 is that it runs via 108th street, Horace Harding and College Point Blvd adding so much more runtime. 

The Q33 has a good majority of its ridership coming from 74th/ Roosevelt so I would keep it the way it is. Plus 82nd and 83nd tend to have cars doubled parked so I think it’s best to keep the route short so it does not also have to deal with QCM traffic as well.

If there was a route that should be taken off Roosevelt Ave past 74th street, it should be the Q32 because at that point it duplicates the Q33. I feel that most of the people who utilize the Q32 in Jackson Heights are the people who missed the Q33 or it came first before the Q33. So to make up for loss service I would just create a short turn of the Q33 that would run between 74th street & Northern Blvd.

The Q41 and Q42 have no business being combined. 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I would rather keep the Q35 with Queens Divison. Instead, I have some rather neat changes for the Q22 and Q35.

The Q22 would be extended via the Marine Pkwy Bridge and Flatbush Avenue to the current Q35 terminal at the Flatbush Avenue (2)(5) station.

The Q35 would be rerouted west along Avenue U, Knapp Street (which currently has no bus service), and Emmons Avenue/Shore Pkwy to the Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) station. This would ensure direct access between Southern Brooklyn and the popular Rockaway Peninsula, a trip that currently requires three buses or multiple subway transfers. Those two options consume LOTS OF TIME. It would also serve the Knapp Street corridor, which currently has no bus service, as I said. During late nights, when the Q22 doesn’t run, the Q35 would continue to serve the Flatbush Avenue (2) station.

In addition, I would also propose the the route be extended east along Beach Channel Drive to Beach 54th Street and Beach Channel Drive. This would give people who live closer to Beach Channel closet access to a bus route.

Go wash your face.

41 minutes ago, Lex said:

Go wash your face.

I already did before making that post, and it allowed me to see what is wrong with bus service in the Rockaway Peninsula. One problem is that a trip between Southern Brooklyn and the Rockaway Peninsula takes way too long by public transit. A trip between the two is one that is in very large demand, but nobody is going to put up with three-bus trips or a two-hour subway transfer frenzy just to get there. Also, Knapp Street in Brooklyn has no bus service, meaning that anyone in that area wanting to go somewhere not in walking distance must either drive (inconvenient), or walk nearly a mile to either Nostrand Avenue or to the end of the B4 and B44 LCL/SBS, and take the bus there, which is also inconvenient. A bus route on Knapp Street would provide more convenient service.

Another problem is is that the Q22 routing only serves the Rockaway Peninsula. While this is useful for Rockaway residents as an alternative to train service, it’s additional usefulness is hindered because of a lack of a one-seat ride between most portions of the Peninsula and major traffic generators off the Island (Kings Plaza). A direct ride between Kings Plaza and the eastern portion of the peninsula is so heavily desired, and providing that link would put ridership back onto the buses.

There is no buses anywhere north of Rockaway Beach Blvd (between Beach 116 and Beach 73rd Streets), so this causes people wanting to take public transit to walk who Rockaway Beach Blvd to take the bus there. A bus on Beach Channel would provide a route closer to their homes.

Seeing these problems, I decided to not only reroute the Q35 to serve Knapp St, but also extend it eastward on Beach Channel, providing direct service between Southern Brooklyn, Auvergne, and everything in between. A Q22 extension north to the Junction would make the route more useful by providing direct and quicker service between the eastern portion of the peninsula and places those people want to go such as Kings Plaza and the Junction. It gives those people an alternative to driving (and paying for tolls at the bridge and paying for parking at the mall).

Maybe I should go to the beach to come up with more ideas, if the bus routes there are changed to get me there more comfortably.

58 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I already did before making that post, and it allowed me to see what is wrong with bus service in the Rockaway Peninsula.

Would you like a laxative? Perhaps an enema would be more suited for you?

10 hours ago, Lex said:

Go wash your face.

9 hours ago, Lex said:

Would you like a laxative? Perhaps an enema would be more suited for you?

Yeah, I'm long sick of his bullshit also....

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

What's Auvergne???

I think it's French for deifying & having a sick obsession with one man over the internet.

13 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

1. Why Forest Park, specifically?

2. I'm all for a Q79 revival myself, but this is just strange on two fronts.... One is ending at LIRR Bellerose (instead of LIRR Floral Park) & the other thing is having short turns on the route.....

3. I'd leave the nomenclature alone.... The implication/notion that the route does more for Brooklynites than it does Queens patrons is something to ponder, though....

4. I couldn't think of two more diametric bus routes..... Why would you combine these two routes?
(please don't tell me because their route numbers happen to be consecutive)

5. Fair reason, but I think you risk losing a significant amt. of ridership combining these two routes.... Not to mention the Q29 between QB & Roosevelt is a PITA to navigate through....

14 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I only upvoted for this (the small smidgen of text that I put in bold). I don't believe the demand is that great for a new bus route between the peninsula and S. Bklyn, but perhaps a small extension to the Brighton Line (perhaps at Newkirk (B)(Q) ) could help shorten commutes when people are traveling from other lines other than just what's around Nostrand. Leave everything else be, for obvious reasons.

19 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I only upvoted for this (the small smidgen of text that I put in bold). I don't believe the demand is that great for a new bus route between the peninsula and S. Bklyn, but perhaps a small extension to the Brighton Line (perhaps at Newkirk (B)(Q) ) could help shorten commutes when people are traveling from other lines other than just what's around Nostrand. Leave everything else be, for obvious reasons.

I honestly wouldn't even bother having it do anything else in Brooklyn. As it is, it already has a decent run when traffic is good, but because we're talking about a route on Flatbush Avenue (with a small stint on Nostrand Avenue), things can easily turn sour. Sending it to another area with traffic issues (and one that is ill-equipped for turning buses, to boot) would pretty much kill it.

The route has three camps worth noting:

1. Brooklyn College

2. Floyd Bennett Field

3. Compensation for shortcomings of other routes (read: B41 and Q22, even before restructuring)

48 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

Well that can work too, but I feel that a Southern Brooklyn can get some latent demand on the buses as well. I just looked up directions between Sheepshead Bay and Rockaway Park and a transit trip takes around 1 hour and three minutes, while a driving trip takes around 20-35 minutes. A bus route from there would make it a little more competitive compared to driving, but a Q35 extension to Newkirk can work as well.

I also noted that Knapp Street has no bus service as well, forcing people in the area to drive or walk out of their way to walk out of their way to a bus route and ride there. While my Q35 reroute would better serve that corridor, i feel that it is a Brooklyn Division responsibility for local service. I may have a plan for that corridor that involves the B4 that I can put in the Brooklyn redesign thread.

36 minutes ago, Lex said:

I honestly wouldn't even bother having it do anything else in Brooklyn. As it is, it already has a decent run when traffic is good, but because we're talking about a route on Flatbush Avenue (with a small stint on Nostrand Avenue), things can easily turn sour. Sending it to another area with traffic issues (and one that is ill-equipped for turning buses, to boot) would pretty much kill it.

The route has three camps worth noting:

1. Brooklyn College

2. Floyd Bennett Field

3. Compensation for shortcomings of other routes (read: B41 and Q22, even before restructuring)

Well as a compromise, I would have the Q35 terminate at the Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue station instead of Sheepshead Bay if there are turning problems at the Sheepshead Bay station. Route would be via Avenue Z, Shell Road, Neptune Avenue, and Stillwell to the Mermaid bus loop. It can work.

19 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Well that can work too, but I feel that a Southern Brooklyn can get some latent demand on the buses as well. I just looked up directions between Sheepshead Bay and Rockaway Park and a transit trip takes around 1 hour and three minutes, while a driving trip takes around 20-35 minutes. A bus route from there would make it a little more competitive compared to driving, but a Q35 extension to Newkirk can work as well.

That's assuming there's much of any in the first place.

20 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I also noted that Knapp Street has no bus service as well, forcing people in the area to drive or walk out of their way to walk out of their way to a bus route and ride there. While my Q35 reroute would better serve that corridor, i feel that it is a Brooklyn Division responsibility for local service. I may have a plan for that corridor that involves the B4 that I can put in the Brooklyn redesign thread.

What, exactly, warrants dedicating a route to Knapp Street? Everything about the street hinders any potential for one.

22 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Well as a compromise, I would have the Q35 terminate at the Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue station instead of Sheepshead Bay if there are turning problems at the Sheepshead Bay station. Route would be via Avenue Z, Shell Road, Neptune Avenue, and Stillwell to the Mermaid bus loop. It can work.

Yes, because that totally addresses the fundamental issue.

I asked this question on here years ago & I got a rather anomalous answer about some acquaintance or whatever having to drive between the two points.....

Again I ask, Who are these people that are just clamoring to ride between the damn Rockaways & some Sheepshead Bay (or vice versa) enough to warrant deviating the Q35?

Also, why is there this (apparent) need to want to shift Rockaway patrons to the Brighton line, in an indirect fashion nonetheless (instead of directly to the IRT)?

I'm really starting to think this shit is a B36 extension to Kings Plaza in disguise....

3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I asked this question on here years ago & I got a rather anomalous answer about some acquaintance or whatever having to drive between the two points.....

Again I ask, Who are these people that are just clamoring to ride between the damn Rockaways & some Sheepshead Bay (or vice versa) enough to warrant deviating the Q35?

Also, why is there this (apparent) need to want to shift Rockaway patrons to the Brighton line, in an indirect fashion nonetheless (instead of directly to the IRT)?

I'm really starting to think this shit is a B36 extension to Kings Plaza in disguise....

Oddly enough some people from the Rockaways go into Sheepshead Bay for the (Q) and (B). Don't ask me why but they do it.