Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

32 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What sort of suggestions are you looking for? If the electeds killed the bus lanes, that's it, not unless the DOT tries to muscle them through themselves.

I was suggesting where bus lanes could be put it on part of the corridor.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Honestly I don’t know how they would go about putting bus lanes on Kissena Blvd, because the slowest parts of Kissena Blvd is between the Horace Harding Expressway and Booth Memorial and Mulberry Ave to Main Street. However Kissena Blvd at those parts are also narrow so it can’t have its own dedicated lane at all times. So the only way they could implement that is by making a bus lane in the parking lane in effect during rush hours. The reality of the Q25 SBS is that it May in fact be a rush hour only route but we shall see what the MTA does. 

Honestly, IMO the fact that there is parking at all on either side of Kissena boggles the mind. Kissena is a through-route, we should not be using valuable space to as people's car storage. And it's a lot less annoying to park your car on a side street than try and parallel park with Kissena traffic.

8 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Can we please get the Q35 some Artics? 😤

I don’t think the route warrants artics as of yet and also there would need to be some modifications around the Junction area to accommodate. If it means eliminating the parking space for those gypsy cabs. That might be a start. 

Remember. You ask for artics. Expect cuts. 

11 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I don’t think the route warrants artics as of yet and also there would need to be some modifications around the Junction area to accommodate. If it means eliminating the parking space for those gypsy cabs. That might be a start. 

Granted, the concept isn't entirely foreign, but it definitely doesn't make any practical sense. (At most, they'd have any artics on the route there to make service if shit hits the fan.)

18 minutes ago, Lex said:

Granted, the concept isn't entirely foreign, but it definitely doesn't make any practical sense. (At most, they'd have any artics on the route there to make service if shit hits the fan.)

At most possibly for rush hours and summer services to the beach. Other times. NO!

B/c the way I see things right now including the Queens bus re-design I see cuts and possible route eliminations. So l’d be very careful for asking for artics especially for the Q35. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

7 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Can we please get the Q35 some Artics? 😤

Maybe during the summer time to handle those crowds.... Offseason though, absolutely not.

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

At most possibly for rush hours and summer services to the beach. Other times. NO!

B/c the way I see things right now including the Queens bus re-design I see cuts and possible route eliminations. So l’d be very careful for asking for artics especially for the Q35. 

I wouldn't even do it for rush hours... The Q35's been running way too inconsistently for god knows how long...

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I wouldn't even do it for rush hours... The Q35's been running way too inconsistently for god knows how long...

Don't jinx it. The mta may get the idea to turn these frequent runs to artic trips.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Some fantasy QM revisions I've been thinking about:

All Queens bound QMs run via 2nd Avenue to the Midtown Tunnel and take the Long Island Expressway off peak (8am to 3pm and after 7pm to the end of service) too much time is spent on Queens Boulevard or Northern Boulevard stopping every 5 blocks when lights aren't synced up off peak (especially on Northern Boulevard).  Whitestone bound buses should be going via BQE and Grand Central Parkway back to Whitestone, QM5 and QM6 should be going via the LIE to Grand Central and getting off at Union Turnpike.

During the peak PM rush all midtown buses that run down Van Dam to the LIE should stay on Queens Boulevard to Woodhaven Boulevard though drivers should have the freedom to go via 2nd Avenue to the Midtown Tunnel if they wish.   

The QM4/44 should be extended up 164th to 46th Avenue to serve parts of Flushing.  Added stops would be Parsons Blvd/46th Ave, 46th Ave/162nd St, 164th/Oak Ave and then resume regular pickups and route to the city.  

During AM peak, Manhattan bound QM5/35 and QM8 buses should run via the current Super Express route making regular pick ups to 73rd Avenue, then turning North and going via either the LIE or Booth Memorial Avenue with transit priority signals and synced green lights.   On the PM rush Queens bound QM5/QM8 should run via LIE service road to 188th Street and resume regular stops. Union Turnpike will be served during the peak rushes by QM1/6/7/31/36  

New Lines:

Peak service only Qm22 - Bay Terrace - Downtown Loop First stop: Bell Blvd/212th street, down Bell Blvd to 26th Avenue, via Utopia, to 166th Street and Powells Cove, via 160th Street to Cross Island Parkway West via 14th Avenue via Whitestone Expressway and resume regular QM2/20 route to Manhattan via FDR to the Downtown Loop.  For the return trip, FDR to Midtown Tunnel to BQE to Astoria Boulevard to Whitestone Expressway.

QM24/34/25 should be split into two lines, people in Glendale and Ridgewood should not have to be sitting on the LIE to get off at Woodhaven Boulevard when the bus regularly passes 69th Street on the way back to Queens.  In the morning buses would make regular pickups on Myrtle Avenue, Fresh Pond Road, and Eliot Ave/Fresh Pond and a new stop would be Eliot Avenue and 67th Street, then left on 69th Street to the LIE toward Manhattan.  On the way home the bus would get off at Maurice Avenue (these buses would have to go via LIE, not Queens Boulevard) and right onto 69th Street to Eliot Avenue and then make regular drop offs.

QM9/QM19/QM39 6th Avenue, Wall Street, and 3rd Avenue respectively.  First stop 80th Street/Cooper Avenue, 80th Street Metropolitan Avenue, Juniper Valley Rd/79th Street, Juniper Valley Rd/75th Place, Furmanville Ave/77th Pl, via 78th Street to Juniper Blvd South, Juniper Blvd S/77th Pl, Juniper Blvd S/71st St, 69th St/62nd Ave, right on Eliot, resume pickups along Eliot Avenue 69th, 74th, 80th, remove 83rd Street stop, 85th Street, regular route.  

Edited by ViaWaterViaChurch

I agree with ViaWaterViaChurch on a few of the points raised.

My 2 cents on the QM routes....

Extend the QM4/44 to Springfield Blvd and the LIE via 73 Ave (with increased frequencies; 1990's QSC frequencies would be nice).

Have the QM5/35 stay on Horace Harding past Springfield Blvd and operate mostly as the "LIE Service Road" Express Bus (picking up from Union Tpke/260 St to Horace Harding and College Pt Blvd). If the MTA and the local Queens Politicians and other community leaders would market the new route, it could become pretty popular (the population growth along the LIE corridor would call for such a service). If I recall correctly, a franchised route similar to this one was proposed decades ago.

Add a Wall Street counterpart for the QM2 and QM20. If the ridership doesn't take off on one of these Wall Street routes, then free transfers should be set up at the Whitestone Expressway and Linden Place.

A comment on the Q64 - Perhaps this route can be extended east to Horace Harding and Springfield Blvd via 73 Ave. This new route extension would tap into a growing population in Oakland Gardens (as well as QBCC) who may wish to have direct access to Forest Hills/71 Ave.  After all, shouldn't transit planners be proactive and try to get people out of their cars and into using decent mass transit (when it is made available to them).

On 5/28/2019 at 10:25 AM, Future ENY OP said:

I do remind you that in the D60HF era, especially after Superstorm Sandy, the Q35 did see articulated service. The concept wouldn't exactly be unwarranted on summer weekends, especially using unused Q10/Q52 artics.

Also, while this is tied in with the Bronx bus proposals, with the Q50 being proposed to be truncated to Pelham Bay Park, might it make sense to change the Q50 to a Q44 SBS branch?

53 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

None whatsoever.

Literally the only benefit I can think of is the fact that the resulting route would be able to take advantage of Union Street's width north of Northern Boulevard.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

I am not saying that this should be done, but the MTA makes it seem like it is coming up with this map:

48104588008_95baf7ba70_b.jpgD9B1lk4XYAAydR_ by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

Yeah, and then eventually, that red colored line will be fused into that blue line adjacent to it <_<

Edited by B35 via Church
quoted image, resized....

On 6/21/2019 at 8:36 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

So I'm assuming that the (MTA) wants to extend the Q52+ via the Q22 route to Far Rockaway

I feel like it’s only a matter of time before that happens. It might happen as soon as the proposals for the Queens Bus redesign comes out. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Q22 is reduced to a route that runs on no less than 15 min headway’s. I don’t see the (A) becoming more frequent down there either. At the same time I can finally see the Q21 being cut to allow for the Q52 to become more frequent especially if it will be considered the main bus serving Far Rockaway. 

I would legitimately be so happy if the Q52 got extended all the way to Far Rockaway. I’ve been going through Queens Center more often than Jamaica to get to Five Towns in Nassau County as of late, and not having to change buses in Arverne would be a huge relief.

On the other hand, traffic flow isn’t exactly stellar around Far Rockaway especially during rush hour (see: Q113/114), and I will admit...I’m not so sure how the Q52 will be able to navigate via the Q22’s routing between Arverne & Far Rockaway if extended as such.

Edited by Axis

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

After Terminal C, Q70 SBS should get onto Grand Central Parkway West exit instead of exiting at airport at 102nd St, 23rd Av, 94th St, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's that way only because of construction. But then again I haven't been there in a while so IDK what it's like now