Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

Current scheduled AM rush hour service puts Cambria Heights - QCC at 30-33 minutes and onwards to 47 Av/Springfield in an additional 8 minutes. 47 Av/Springfield and Bayside LIRR are roughly the same distance from QCC.

I don't really see the harm in it going to Bayside LIRR other than "we don't do it right now", since it's not like the added increase in runtime is going to result in more buses being used on the route.

Anecdotally speaking, I got asked somewhat frequently how to get to Bayside while riding Flushing-bound Q27s. 

If the Q27 were to be split into two routes, I would want the "Springfield Crosstown" part to serve QCC, Bayside LIRR, and Bay Terrace at the north end, and Rochdale Village at the south end. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

If the Q27 were to be split into two routes, I would want the "Springfield Crosstown" part to serve QCC, Bayside LIRR, and Bay Terrace at the north end, and Rochdale Village at the south end. 

What would the routing be for the Springfield crosstown route past QCC?

Also why Rochdale Village for the southern terminal rather than Springfield/Merrick Blvd? I think the Q111, Q113, Q114 and Q85 covers that area fine.

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

What would the routing be for the Springfield crosstown route past QCC?

Also why Rochdale Village for the southern terminal rather than Springfield/Merrick Blvd? I think the Q111, Q113, Q114 and Q85 covers that area fine.

(1) It could follow the Q27 to 48th/Bell, and then turn north on Bell. Or it could use Springfield, 56th, Cloverdale, 223rd, Northern, Bell.

(2) Rochdale is the major population center of southeast Queens. If you want people to ride this new route, bring the new route to the people.

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

If you're going to bring a new bus route to a housing complex, you better be pretty sure that they're going to utilize it/have a need for it (similar issue with running the Q7 there)....

I'm not gung-ho on splitting the Q27 anyway, but if it's going to run to some point south of Merrick, I'd rather send it to Green Acres over Rochdale.....

8 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

While I think the 111/113/114 and 85 do fine at Rochdale. There’s really no need to send the 27 there. Springfield and Merrick is good enough for the 27. 

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

If you're going to bring a new bus route to a housing complex, you better be pretty sure that they're going to utilize it/have a need for it (similar issue with running the Q7 there)....

I'm not gung-ho on splitting the Q27 anyway, but if it's going to run to some point south of Merrick, I'd rather send it to Green Acres over Rochdale.....

Point # 1: I agree 

Point # 2: I’m a little on the fence with that. Only b/c a Springfield-Merrick terminal is a better essential than a Green Acres terminal. In a way it’s forcing help on a infrequent Q77 and the 85 technically serves Springfield to a certain extent. So 3 buses going down Springfield and 2 ending at Green Acres Mall is not the best essential thing. (Green Acres to me is worse than Kings Plaza)  

18 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Point # 1: I agree 

Point # 2: I’m a little on the fence with that. Only b/c a Springfield-Merrick terminal is a better essential than a Green Acres terminal. In a way it’s forcing help on a infrequent Q77 and the 85 technically serves Springfield to a certain extent. So 3 buses going down Springfield and 2 ending at Green Acres Mall is not the best essential thing. (Green Acres to me is worse than Kings Plaza)  

Nah, re-read what I said... I'm not saying Green Acres is a better terminal than Springfield/Merrick, I'm saying Green Acres is a better terminal for such a route, over Rochdale..... I'm not buying Rochdale as being some sort of a solution in the equation of "If you want people to ride this new route, bring the new route to the people."

As far as Green Acres & Kings Plaza goes, they're both equally overrated & mediocre to me....

5 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

(1) It could follow the Q27 to 48th/Bell, and then turn north on Bell. Or it could use Springfield, 56th, Cloverdale, 223rd, Northern, Bell.

(2) Rochdale is the major population center of southeast Queens. If you want people to ride this new route, bring the new route to the people.

In that case if this route runs via Bell Blvd, you would literally give the (MTA) a reason to cut the Q13 completely, especially with artic buses running on the Q12. The (MTA) will definitely try to reduce route overlapping as much as possible, as we saw with the planned Bx40 & Bx42 changes which from my understanding got rejected heavily from the community. I feel like this route should stay away from serving too much of Northern Queens as this route is suppose to benefit more of southern Queens residents along Springfield Blvd who have to put up with slow, infrequent Q77 service. Personally I think Hillside Ave corridor itself needs to be improved, but I’ll talk about that in another post. 

Trust me, people who live in Rochdale Village is fine with their transportation. They have 4 routes to take them to Jamaica, one to Midtown, the Q85 goes to Green Arces, the Q113/Q114 goes to Far Rockaway. They even have a LIRR station, so they are set. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Nah, re-read what I said... I'm not saying Green Acres is a better terminal than Springfield/Merrick, I'm saying Green Acres is a better terminal for such a route, over Rochdale..... I'm not buying Rochdale as being some sort of a solution in the equation of "If you want people to ride this new route, bring the new route to the people."

As far as Green Acres & Kings Plaza goes, they're both equally overrated & mediocre to me....

Completely Mis-understood on that.

However, I do agree on Rochdale not being a suitable terminal and plus the demographics for that area don’t suit a Q27 being there. 

38 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Personally I think Hillside Ave corridor itself needs to be improved....

Yeah, and we can start by getting rid of the Q1 & have those same resources dedicated to the Q43 (as short turns) to provide necessary service along Braddock.... If that means terminating some Q43 trips at 179th, then so be it.....

Back with more "redesigns" from Facebook

Alright, here's my Queens Bus Map Redesign Proposal. It's not finished yet, so if you have an idea comment down below and please give feedback!

Q4 - Interlined with new Q96 bus route, LTD Q4 service replaced with Q96.
Q26 - Service now runs between Flushing and Queensboro Community College (similar to S93), replacing the Q27 along 48th Av. 
Q27 - Route heavily modified as follows: service now runs between Flushing and Jamaica, operating via Sanford Av, Hollis Court Blvd, Francis Lewis Blvd (replacing the Q76) and Hillside Av. Q27 LTD service is eliminated.
Q31 - Service is extended, during rush hours and weekends, to Bay Terrace Shopping Center.
Q66 - Service west of Northern Blvd eliminated to reduce congestion.
Q76 - Service south of 73rd Av replaced by the Q27, rerouted to 188th St/64th Av.
Q94 - New Route between Fordham Plaza and Flushing, with an extension to LGA coming soon.
Q96 -  Service replaces the eastern portion of the Q27 to Linden Blvd, then replaces Q4 LTD service to Jamaica.
Map is included below!

I like most of it and I added an old one of mine merging the b24 and the q104 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15dvFJjXVYokrLSDRpug5o6BNtPq6P1gl/view

11 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Alright, here's my Queens Bus Map Redesign Proposal. It's not finished yet, so if you have an idea comment down below and please give feedback!

Q26 - Service now runs between Flushing and Queensboro Community College (similar to S93), replacing the Q27 along 48th Av. 
Q27 - Route heavily modified as follows: service now runs between Flushing and Jamaica, operating via Sanford Av, Hollis Court Blvd, Francis Lewis Blvd (replacing the Q76) and Hillside Av. Q27 LTD service is eliminated.
Q31 - Service is extended, during rush hours and weekends, to Bay Terrace Shopping Center.
Q76 - Service south of 73rd Av replaced by the Q27, rerouted to 188th St/64th Av.
Q94 - New Route between Fordham Plaza and Flushing, with an extension to LGA coming soon.
Q96 -  Service replaces the eastern portion of the Q27 to Linden Blvd, then replaces Q4 LTD service to Jamaica.
Map is included below!

Q4/Q96: That Q96 is circuitous & hardly solves the issue with bus service along Springfield.... This is basically the Q83 on steroids.

Q26: Been saying this should happen for ages.... However, it should be full time & not a part time route (as illustrated on the map)....

Q27: Great, another Q17 that's even MORE circuitous & even MORE useless..

Q31: Yeah, straighten it out on Utopia, but I wouldn't bother with having a part time terminal in Bayside... Just get rid of the terminal on Francis Lewis & call it a day...

Q66: Not for that reason, but agreed....

Q76: I agree with cutting it back from Jamaica, but cutting it back to Fresh Meadows-188th still wouldn't give the route it enough of a base....

Q94: I guess I'm one of the few that isn't gung-ho on a Fordham-Flushing route... To me, this is one of those ideas that looks good on paper, but would end up under-performing in actuality....

Edited by B35 via Church

13 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Map is included below!

Q26: This actually replicates the original historic Q27 path (ended at Springfield/Horace Harding).

Q27: This closely follows the original historic Q26 path along Hollis Court Blvd through to Jamaica Avenue and ending at Queens Village. (That was before the Clearview Expressway was built.)

Q66: You're effectively going back to before 1989, when all Q66 service ended at 51st Street.

17 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Map is included below!

Q26 - If that's how you intend on dealing with 46th Avenue service, you might as well incorporate the Q26 into the Q27. I also have other comments regarding this bus route (see Q27, Q76 below).

Q27 - This is a good way to lose ridership on the route, in order to preform the same basic function that the Q76 already does (which really isn't too high). There's enough Flushing-Jamaica routes as it is. 

Q31 - I find that time period it goes to Bayside rather odd, because no one is heading to the mall during the AM rush, and the people who would typically be shopping on weekdays would do so more towards the afternoon (late midday through PM rush). 

Q66 - I disagree with this, because buses do start picking up along 35th Avenue. At the bare minimum, it should run to 31st Street (although I would rather have it run to Queensbridge).

Q76 -  I still think that the bus should go to Jamaica. However, not as it currently operates. Here's what I had in mind, and it entails part of your previous proposals and other routes:

• Q17: Daytime runs from Flushing to Fresh Meadows (188th Street & 64th Avenue). Overnight service runs the current route.
  • Q26: Flushing-Jamaica (existing Q26 route from Flushing to Hollis Court Blvd/Francis Lewis Boulevard, then the existing Q76 route to Jamaica.
  • Q76: Existing route to Francis Lewis Boulevard & Horace Harding Expwy (HHE), then HHE to 188th Street, then to/from Jamaica via the existing Q17 route.

Q94 - I don't feel that a route from this part of Queens would do well either. The Q44 and Q50 basically hit the areas in The Bronx people from eastern Queens are looking for. I feel that a route from Western Queens to Fordham would do better.  

Q96: I don't see how this solves much of anything. There's still people on Springfield Boulevard looking for Flushing service, which is not present on the current Q96. None of the east-west routes there don't even go to Flushing either, so you're cutting off (direct) Flushing from all those areas. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

20 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Map is included below!

The Q76 is gonna carry air.

The Q27 ridership is going to tank (and at this point it has more in common with the current Q26 than the Q27, why bother changing the name)?

The Q94 - You can serve Flushing or LGA but not both in a reasonable manner. That bus is gonna sit in congestion in Queens.

The Q96 - I really don't like this kind of circumferential route for the same reason I don't really like the Q3; every bus that crosses it is a much faster direct route to Jamaica, so why bother taking it? At least with the Q27 you can get to Flushing quickly without slogging it through Jamaica.

20 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Map is included below!

Q4-It's fine as is on Linden and gets to Jamaica Center with little trouble.

Q27-I rather just take the route off Holly and Kissena. That's the only part of the route which slows everything down between Flushing and Cambria Heights. 

Q31-Needs more Service hours after rush hours. Not too keen on serving the Shopping Center, last thing city buses need are people crowding the aisle with their shopping carts and bags.

Q66-Leave it alone. It's needed just in case the (7) goes down. 

Q76-I wish they'd do something about this route. I keep seeing 2 or three of them on Hillside.

Q94- What happened to the Q44? Are people giving up on it post SBS? 

21 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Map is included below!

Nice Plan. What program did you use to make that? Also:

I don’t agree with the Q66 plan, if you’re going to have it avoid the Queens Plaza Congestion, at least have it terminate somewhere in LIC/Hunters Point for (7) access at the very least. 

Q4 is fine as is, and I think that the Q96 seems redundant.

your Q94 Seems like a Cool idea. But Flushing is already congested as is. 

As for the Q26, Q27 And Q76, I can not say much cause I don’t know Northeast Queens that well. But I’m all for making the Q76 more effective. 

13 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

Q94- What happened to the Q44? Are people giving up on it post SBS? 

Not in the slightest.

7 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Q66: You're effectively going back to before 1989, when all Q66 service ended at 51st Street.

Suits me just fine....

I'm just pretty sick & tired of seeing so many empty Q66's along 21st st, heading towards QBP..... While you have hoards of people waiting for the thing in Flushing, generally riding no further west than Jackson Heights.... And then you get some folks talking about running the thing to some Columbus Circle...

The Q66 needs to be truncated.

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Q26 - If that's how you intend on dealing with 46th Avenue service, you might as well incorporate the Q26 into the Q27.

This is segueing into the Parsons vs. Kissena discussion again....

6 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Nice Plan. What program did you use to make that?

Also:

I don’t agree with the Q66 plan, if you’re going to have it avoid the Queens Plaza Congestion, at least have it terminate somewhere in LIC/Hunters Point for (7) access at the very least. 

He says that they're not his ideas & how they were taken off some FB group.....

But regardless of whoever's ideas they are, I also want to know what program{s} were used to edit that map.....

6 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Nice Plan. What program did you use to make that? Also:

As for the Q26, Q27 And Q76, I can not say much cause I don’t know Northeast Queens that well. But I’m all for making the Q76 more effective. 

Not mine 

Ahad gave me permission  to share here, I'll ask him what program he used

17 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm just pretty sick & tired of seeing so many empty Q66's along 21st st, heading towards QBP..... While you have hoards of people waiting for the thing in Flushing, generally riding no further west than Jackson Heights.... And then you get some folks talking about running the thing to some Columbus Circle...

Not my idea. Just what the NYMTC's STIP said. Don't know how they came up with it.

• 4 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 10:18 AM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

@B35 via Church

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13bgZvRvkYdMhcMTbtcePbyqwYp9KfRrMgsB-McrdfdM/edit?usp=sharing

Theres a map attached to the document (I’m still working on it though) 

No service to Roosevelt Island?

Also, here is my QT37 proposal: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G7fQR0ZUafYVSusPxZrwOIfoXTYvhPKl&usp=sharing

The QT37 would only make SBS stops along 125 St.

Edited by Jova42R

Finally, the showed the graphics for the bus lines. 

Q22-Rockaway Turnpike at Peninsula to 116th 

There's no QM17 for some odd reason

The Q85 ends at Rosedale LIRR

The Q5 is shown entering Green Acres at the 1st lite Not sure why because those confused riders are actually city residents waiting. The n1 is already doing it's run. It's only a short ride between Valley Stream and Hewlett. NICE should extend it to Jamaica full time to help with the n6. Elmont and Valley Stream Residents want their own bus to the Jamaica without waiting for the n6. It's always full at Elmont Road. The n1 is too much of a mythical creature to Elmont Residents, especially by the cemetary. 

They need to hurry up with the redesign for Brooklyn, Bernie Sanders pretty much spelled out he's from South Brooklyn and from PS 197. 

Not sure why Brooklyn needs a redesign, It's already a straight line. 

MTA should be more afraid of Wavecrest and Redfern, progress is slow at the Terminal repairs and those long lines are people waiting for the Q22 at Beach 21st.

The n31/32 now picks up at B19 heading to Hempstead. I still think the n33 should be extended up to Hewlett to Grant Park. People forget that Goodfellas actually happened IRL at five towns and RVC. It's home to a lot of retired mobsters and Eddie Murphy and Howard Stern

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

Finally, the showed the graphics for the bus lines. 

Q22-Rockaway Turnpike at Peninsula to 116th 

There's no QM17 for some odd reason

The Q85 ends at Rosedale LIRR

The Q5 is shown entering Green Acres at the 1st lite Not sure why because those confused riders are actually city residents waiting. The n1 is already doing it's run. It's only a short ride between Valley Stream and Hewlett. NICE should extend it to Jamaica full time to help with the n6. Elmont and Valley Stream Residents want their own bus to the Jamaica without waiting for the n6. It's always full at Elmont Road. The n1 is too much of a mythical creature to Elmont Residents, especially by the cemetary. 

They need to hurry up with the redesign for Brooklyn, Bernie Sanders pretty much spelled out he's from South Brooklyn and from PS 197. 

Not sure why Brooklyn needs a redesign, It's already a straight line. 

MTA should be more afraid of Wavecrest and Redfern, progress is slow at the Terminal repairs and those long lines are people waiting for the Q22 at Beach 21st.

The n31/32 now picks up at B19 heading to Hempstead. I still think the n33 should be extended up to Hewlett to Grant Park. People forget that Goodfellas actually happened IRL at five towns and RVC. It's home to a lot of retired mobsters and Eddie Murphy and Howard Stern

The maps for the Queens Redesign have been out since the end of December.

The QM17 is now the QMT170 and will end at Seagirt Blvd/B. 9 St instead of the Mott Ave (A) Station.

The Brooklyn bus network needs a redesign because similar to Queens most of the routes haven’t been changed since the trolley days. They are probably going to eliminate service on corridors that are next too each other like. The B48, B49, B44, B44 SBS, and B43. I can imagine them at a minimum cutting service along Bedford Ave and New York Ave to space the service apart. They recently released the Existing Conditions Report and will most likely release the draft plan sometime in late April/early May.

N1 riders already have the free transfer to the N6 and the subway, so they won’t be getting a full time extension anytime soon. 

Grant Park is already not well patronized by N1 riders and served by the N31 and N32, why would the N33 need to head up there?

And what does Goodfellas happening in Five Towns have to do with anything?

13 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

The Brooklyn bus network needs a redesign because similar to Queens most of the routes haven’t been changed since the trolley days.

Individual routes, perhaps..... The entire network though, nah.

The (false) narrative being put out there is one that the MTA is using out of convenience.... The network does not need to be redesigned because the routes are old.... That makes it too easy for the MTA to drum up any old routing under the guise of progression....