Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

This is what I would do. (Q1-Q29)

Q1-Q6 unchanged

Q7- Extend it into the airport

Q8 unchanged

Q9 Possibly extend it to the q37 terminal

Q10-Q18 unchanged

Q19 have some service go to LGA airport via 94st and sending it down to flushing by the Q48 route (q48 eliminate)

Q20A unchanged

Q20B have it operate via Queens college (old q74 route) and keep it going to Jamaica on main st and college PT

Q22-Q24 unchanged

Q25 have running every 3-5 minutes while LTD is 10 mins

Q26 eliminate Q27 is nearby.

Q28- last stop at Roosevelt Ave

Q29 extend to 74st station

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nd part

Q30 add back overnight service

Q31- add back weekend service

Q32-Q33 unchanged

Q34 add a Saturday service

Q35-Q41 unchanged

Q42 have it run to Jamaica LIRR via Liberty Ave

Q44-Q49 unchanged

Q50 let it follow the Q20/ Q44 route to the Bronx

And make service every 12-15 minutes

Q53-Q59 unchanged

Q60 add a Limited stop service.

Q64 extend to either long island express or to union Turnpike

and have over night 30 minutes

Q65 have LTD run more hours

Q66-67 unchanged

Q69 unchanged

Q72 serve all LGA terminals like NYCT routes do

Q75 return service but have it run to L.I.E

Q76 add back the weekend service

Q77 Sunday service added

Q79 return service and a extension to 179st station via Jamaica Ave

2nd part

Q32-Q33 unchanged

Q35-Q41 unchanged

Q44-Q49 unchanged

Q50 let it follow the Q20/ Q44 route to the Bronx

And make service every 12-15 minutes

Q53-Q59 unchanged

Q64 extend to either long island express or to union Turnpike

and have over night 30 minutes

Q65 have LTD run more hours

Q66-67 unchanged

Q69 unchanged

Q72 serve all LGA terminals like NYCT routes do

Q77 Sunday service added

Q31/30: Not necessary...

3rd part

Q83-85 unchanged

Q88 add a special rush hour LTD service from 6:15-8:00 and 2:20-4:00 for school service to and from Queens Center Mall.

This route is very crowded in the afternoon and morning and going to school is very slow.

Q90 route added special airport LTD service via Van wyck and astoria blvd. JFK to LGA

Q100 add more LTD stops one when the Q101 is with the Q100 and one with the q69

Q101 unchanged

Q102 unchanged

Q103 eliminate

Q104 extend it down q103's route

Q110 unchanged

Q111 unchanged

Q113 reroute to run to rockaways via 147st and Rockaways Blvd

Q112 extend it to Rockaway Park

The Q25 already runs every 10 mins on Saturdays and the Q65 already runs every 12 mins on Saturday...

I just found that out about the Q25. Primarily however I was talking 10 minutes. I believe the Q65 should run on a 10 minute frequency. I seen it myself that buses around the hospital get packed heavily. A slight increase in service may ease the crowding.

The Q30 doesn't have the ridership for ltd service

Actually, it does on School days. I brought up the LTD for the Q30 since the primary target are the schools & as the line is dominated by school kids anyway. The schols it serves (FLHS, Cardozo etc.) are surrounded by nearby major stops anyway respectfully (Horace Harding Expressway, Springfield Blvd etc.). Plus like half of the buses make major stops alone for the most part.

The Q46 is fine as is.

I mean't to say Westbound LTD buses for the PM & Eastbound is fine. Although there's yet for official demand for it I personally think Westbound PM LTD's would help out. Just like the Q30, a fair amount of buses make major stops for the most part so there may as well have some LTD runs & leave the rest up to the local buses. Plus you'll slightly improve travel time.

Replies in Bold

Edited by gtNovaBusRTS9369

The Q25 does not run 10 minutes on Saturday. It is my home line and when I wait for it the bus takes a good 17-20 for it to come so don't believe everything that map says. In rush hours buses are suppose to come every 3-5 minutes they take 10-12 minutes sometimes to come.

@ the Q112: Why? As long as the Q53 is around, any local route running to Rockaway Park probably won't be too popular. Especially if it runs through Lindenwood like the Q21.

@ the Q113: What're you talking about? It's kind of unclear. The Q113 runs no where near 147th St. The Q113 LTD as is is pretty good getting on Rockaway Blvd, and what's the point of moving the Q113 Local? Even if you meant 147th Av, I don't know what you mean.

There should be a Green Acres - Brooklyn/Queens route. Seems like the common consensus is to reroute the Q7, but something would need to replace. I saw this idea but using a branch of the Q6 to replace the Q7 to the Cargo Terminal, but I don't know. I've seen people suggest to send the Q7 to Green Acres Mall and to Rochdale, if the Q7 to Green Acres stops at Rochdale it has to go slightly out of its way but it's arguably worth it for the access from the West. I mean, right now, Rochdale, Rosedale, and Green Acres, a lot of their service comes from the North (Jamaica). Rochdlae has the Q113 to the South and Green Acres has NICE to the East too, so why not a route from the West?

Q7Idea2.png

Also, there should be a Q53 express like the old days, if only during the summer season. The ridership is there, no question.

I do agree that the Q9 should be extended down 130th Av to the sanitation office at 150th Av to provide access to Jamaica, but I don't know how the Q10 would fit into all this. I saw this grand paln to reroute the Q9, Q10 and Q37 in the area, but it's quite complex.

Edited by Mysterious2train

@ the Q112: Why? As long as the Q53 is around, any local route running to Rockaway Park probably won't be too popular. Especially if it runs through Lindenwood like the Q21.

@ the Q113: What're you talking about? It's kind of unclear. The Q113 runs no where near 147th St. The Q113 LTD as is is pretty good getting on Rockaway Blvd, and what's the point of moving the Q113 Local? Even if you meant 147th Av, I don't know what you mean.

There should be a Green Acres - Brooklyn/Queens route. Seems like the common consensus is to reroute the Q7, but something would need to replace. I saw this idea but using a branch of the Q6 to replace the Q7 to the Cargo Terminal, but I don't know. I've seen people suggest to send the Q7 to Green Acres Mall and to Rochdale, if the Q7 to Green Acres stops at Rochdale it has to go slightly out of its way but it's arguably worth it for the access from the West. I mean, right now, Rochdale, Rosedale, and Green Acres, a lot of their service comes from the North (Jamaica). Rochdlae has the Q113 to the South and Green Acres has NICE to the East too, so why not a route from the West?

Q7Idea2.png

Also, there should be a Q53 express like the old days, if only during the summer season. The ridership is there, no question.

I do agree that the Q9 should be extended down 130th Av to the sanitation office at 150th Av to provide access to Jamaica, but I don't know how the Q10 would fit into all this. I saw this grand paln to reroute the Q9, Q10 and Q37 in the area, but it's quite complex.

Q7: Buses can just stay on Rockaway Blvd and not detour

Q9: Extended to JFK via 130 Street

Q10: Local via 130 and Pan Am will be limited runs

Q52: When Instituted, makes limited stops for Q53

Q53: Service from Woodhaven, then express to the Bay Refuge only 7 AM-7PM Weekdays

Q7- Extend it into the airport

Fair Idea, since the Q6 can't go directly into the area.

2nd part

Fine by me. Either this or the Q79 can be used for this as the LN area could have some benefit from this.

No. Buses were basically empty as they were when service was the shape it was from the Pre-2010 cuts.

As it is for it's current routing, no demand for it.

I'm not sure how that work...

Just like the case for +SBS a LTD would just rub it in for bunching. Traffic will obivously make sure there's no difference bwtween Local/Limited buses. Trust me.

If the new frquency was to be hourly for it's return then I guess so. I wouldn't run up to L.I.E alone however. I'd take the idea of others & bring it up to QCC as a better terminal.

From Hourly frequency sure. Not like 30 minutes though as the bus as basically empty throughout most of the tenure of it's runs.

Q77 Sunday service added

Not needed. The ridership for such isn't enough for this.

Uh, you may as well have it return. The rest is what the Q36 is for.

Once again here, all replies are in bold.

Sure I've had ideas here & there w/ a few routes, but I just realized all this time posting on these forums, I never really fully analyzed (down to the 'T') as to how I would optimize Queens' bus system... probably due to laziness, as there are so many routes that have to be considered....

Nonetheless, the two immediate ones that come to mind (Brett already listed one of them) are:

- Q79 revival...

- Q9 extension to Lefferts Blvd AIRtrain.....

try these:

Restore and restructure Q79 new routing extends via baisley blvd to JFK directly via 150th. service will be adjusted accordingly. End at jewish med center northern portion transfered to Q46 select runs or full Q79 with jfk extension.

Q77 eliminated. Q26 regains all lost service then extends via frances lewes replacing most of Q77.

Q43 becomes full-time 100% LTD. Local service provided by extended Q36/2.

Q50 streamlined between queens and pelham bay rerouted to I-95 express non-stop between pelham bay park subway and queens. Bypassed stops served by Bx5 to Q44.

the Q38 split into 2 routes stay tuned for details.

I can't open PDF files, so I can't see the map. In any case, here's what I'd do

I see a lack of connectivity between areas on opposite sides of the Van Wyck. I think a route should travel down Linden Blvd to fill that gap, running from Rockaway Blvd on the (A) to Rochdale Village. Mysterious2Train mentioned that there are already routes coming from the north, south, and east, but none coming from the west. Since the Linden Blvd route (let's just call it the Q89, since that served part of Linden Blvd) would serve passengers coming from the west, there'd be no need to have the Q7 deviate to Rochdale (since riders have the Q85 if they want to reach Green Acres). A branch of the Q6 could replace the Q7 to the Cargo area (do those Q6 short-turns operate all day or just rush hours?)

There should be some form of service along Little Neck Parkway, but I'm not sure if the Q79 should be brought back. Eastern Queens is based off a feeder system, and the Q79 didn't connect to the subway. I was thinking of extending both the Q12 and Q36 to Glen Oaks to cover both halves of Little Neck Parkway, but then again, those routes are already kind of long (and the Q12 is a busy route). Maybe it could just be brought back at 60 minute headways.

The Q76 should be brought back on Saturdays

I think both the Q76 and Q77 should receive Sunday service. If need be, have them run at 60 minute headways. For the Q76, it's the only north-south route in that part of Queens (and it could help some former Q31 riders), and for the Q77, the buses all feed into Jamaica, so north-south travel is still pretty difficult.

I know there's a park just south of the Q77 terminal, but I think it should be extended to 147th Avenue for connectivity purposes (if riders want to get to Far Rockaway on the Q113 or something)

I'd extend the Q64 to Queensboro Community College. It would take 73rd Avenue down to the end, and then go up 130th Street and serve QCC through the back entrance. I'm not sure what to do with the Q88. I guess it could be left there, and just have the service reduced a little bit (I don't think a whole lot of riders in the Queens Village area want to reach the Queens Center Mall).

Either that, or the Q64 could end at the old Q75 terminal, and the Q88 could take the LIE service road and then serve QCC.

The idea is to give QCC riders another option besides the Q27 (and Q30 to a certain extent) so they have more connections available (they'd have an easier connection to the Queens Blvd Line)

I know I shouldn't waste my time responding but here I go nonetheless...

try these:

Restore and restructure Q79 new routing extends via baisley blvd to JFK directly via 150th. service will be adjusted accordingly. End at jewish med center northern portion transfered to Q46 select runs or full Q79 with jfk extension.

Me no comprende mi amigo... :wacko:

Q77 eliminated. Q26 regains all lost service then extends via frances lewes replacing most of Q77.

N-O that's no! You'll make the route too long. Plus there's no need for such service w/o the Q77.

Q43 becomes full-time 100% LTD. Local service provided by extended Q36/2.

There's abosolutely no need for a full time LTD. Rush hours would do just fine, thanks! Also you can leave the Q2 & Q36 if you will...

Q50 streamlined between queens and pelham bay rerouted to I-95 express non-stop between pelham bay park subway and queens. Bypassed stops served by Bx5 to Q44.

the Q38 split into 2 routes stay tuned for details.

Not touching this as I'll allow others here to comment on this.

3rd part

Q83-85 unchanged

Q88 add a special rush hour LTD service from 6:15-8:00 and 2:20-4:00 for school service to and from Queens Center Mall.

This route is very crowded in the afternoon and morning and going to school is very slow.

Q90 route added special airport LTD service via Van wyck and astoria blvd. JFK to LGA

Q100 add more LTD stops one when the Q101 is with the Q100 and one with the q69

Q101 unchanged

Q102 unchanged

Q103 eliminate

Q104 extend it down q103's route

Q110 unchanged

Q111 unchanged

A Q90 from Airport to Airport? Who would use it?

The Q113 already has two routings: The local uses 147th Ave and the Limited uses Rockaway Blvd. People do use both the 111 and 113 along 147th Ave. All the MTA has been doing to the 113 is improving it. including a version you have posted.

The Q112 to Rockaway Park? WHat ever your smoking, pass please. LOL

My sister use to frequent the Q100. says that bus is always packed as hell. Although a good idea....no one would fit and everyone either boards at Qns Plz or Queens bridge.

A Q90 from Airport to Airport? Who would use it?

The Q113 already has two routings: The local uses 147th Ave and the Limited uses Rockaway Blvd. People do use both the 111 and 113 along 147th Ave. All the MTA has been doing to the 113 is improving it. including a version you have posted.

The Q112 to Rockaway Park? WHat ever your smoking, pass please. LOL

My sister use to frequent the Q100. says that bus is always packed as hell. Although a good idea....no one would fit and everyone either boards at Qns Plz or Queens bridge.

Actuallt, if advertised the right way, you might have people making connections between planes using it. I'm not saying a whole lot will use it, but if they see it sitting there and see that it goes to LaGuardia, they might take it.

But anyway, there's a private company that already does this (I think it costs $10)

I know I shouldn't waste my time responding but here I go nonetheless...

For the Q38, I've always thought it should be split. I just wasn't sure how.

As for the Q43, I actually agree. It would give riders on the eastern end of the route faster access to Jamaica.

As for the Q43, I actually agree. It would give riders on the eastern end of the route faster access to Jamaica.

I'm not questioning it entirely. I just wanted to sure he wasn't including overnights as he did say "Full Time" cause that'd be overkill (As he would say I'm afraid). For Middays it would the most likely time of day to see additional LTD service. Last time I've seen that route on a midday nearly 3/4's of the bus seats were taken & this was from Hillside/Springfield. Probably a decent idea perhaps but I'm still on the fence with it. Only my opinion though.

No quotes, but few things:

- extending the Q26 to get rid of the Q77 is just as bad as merging the Q76 w/ the Q77 (which has been mentioned before on several occasions, albeit not in this thread).... you're basically creating a route very similar to the Q27 - a long, winding route that goes from Flushing to SE Queens..... The system doesn't need another one of those type of routes.....

- To imply that a route shouldn't exist (or in this particular case, be brought back) because it's not part of the main bus route system structure for its region, is mind boggling..... That's like telling an illegal he/she can't ride the bus b/c he.she isn't a citizen - even though they paid the fare....

- Another proposal that has a public bus route going from airport to airport.... You'd have to have enough major xfer points along such a route enough to draw as many ppl. to it to keep such a route afloat...... It's a double-edged sword b/c serving 2 airports + major xfer points in between, makes for the most unstable route one could possibly draw up..... Forget about an airport to airport route just nonchalantly serving a couple communities in the mix & expecting it to flourish.....

- To send the 112 down to the rockaways is excessive... everyone cannot have 1 seat rides.....

Those riders are gonna simply have to take the Q21 or Q53 to rockaway blvd for the Q41 or the Q112 & call it a day.....

The Q7 should stay where it is currently terminates, or be extended to JFK Airport. It doesn't need to be extended down to Green Acres Mall via Conduit Avenue. The Q85 already provides service along that street between Green Acres and Springfield Blvd. Conduit Avenue past Springfield doesn't need bus service.

Edited by NY1635