Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

The Q15A in its current form is awkward in some ways, because it "backtracks" along part of its route (in order to serve areas formerly covered by the Q14) and traverses a relatively narrow stretch of road along 10th Avenue between Clintonville and 152nd Streets. In addition, the Q34 duplicates the Q25 south of Flushing and doesn't provide enough service north of Flushing. As such, I propose:

Eliminate the Q34.

Add service on the Q25 (possibly short-turn trips ending in Flushing) to compensate south of Flushing.

Revive the Q14 using its original routing north of Willets Point Boulevard and the current Q34 routing between Flushing and Willets Point Boulevard, providing full-time service both on weekdays and weekends.

Restore the Q15 to its pre-2010 form for all trips.

Edited by TML

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My attempt to do a bit of an overhaul for Queens.

Mostly new routes, and I restructured Springfield Bl service.

https://docs.google....B12Cyvca2g/edit

Q14: Jamaica, 165 Street Bus Terminal

Fort Totten

Via 188 Street, Utopia Parkway

Q26: Current route re-designated Q107.

Q26 A/B:

Broadway Junction (A) OR Ridgewood Terminal (B)

Green Acres Mall. A buses go via JFK Airport.

Via Conduit Avenue/Boulevard.

Q27: Flushing, Main Street

Rosedale, Francis Lewis Boulevard

(LTD)

Q42: Ridgewood Terminal

LGA, Main Terminal

Via Cooper Avenue

Q57: Flushing, Main Street

Green Acres Mall

(LTD to Queens CC, then SBS.)

Q68: Jamaica, Merrick Road OR Cross Bay Boulevard/Liberty Avenue

Broadway Junction, East NY Avenue

Via Liberty Avenue

(NEW, LTD)

Q99: Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

Astoria, 18 Street

Q109: Flushing, Main Street

College Point Loop

Via College Point Blvd, 14 Avenue, and Parsons Blvd.

The Q25, & Q65 College Point legs get reduced serivce. The Q20B is eliminated.

ok I am confused what routing will this Q99 take?

Q4: Rush Hour Trips to Green Arces via Linden Blvd, Stuart and Central Avenues

Q9A: Operates between Cambria Heights and South Ozone Park via Linden Blvd. Teriminates at Lincoln and Rockaway Blvd.

Q24: Weekday Service To Crown Heights Utica Avenue. Weekend Service to Broadway Junction.

Q89: Operates between JFK Cargo Area and Laurelton 238 St via 120th Avenue, Baisley Blvd, and 150 St.

Q111: Service to Green Arces Mall via Rosedale Road and Mill Road. Trips to Cedarhurst Eliminated

Edited by NY1635

Q14 : There is no such demand for such a route in Jamaica, plain & simple.

Q27 : The LIMITED is long enough as it is, the local is even a bigger pain. Making the route longer just causes more problems.

Q57 : Very indirect and pointless. There is no demand for folks going to Green Acres from Flushing at all. Plus it's going to be way too long.

Q68 : Pretty redundant to the already running Q41 and Q112....

Q109 : Have you ever been to College Point? If so, you'd know that you can't really loop around College Point....

Now for my main issue with your ideas, the Q25/Q65. I can tell by these ideas that you've never checked out the areas in question or the routes in question. The Q25 & Q65 are two of the most busiest routes in Flushing and buses going to College Point are PACKED! Reducing service on both those routes = even worse service for them. You'd have those folks coming at you with pitchforks and torches....

Like I said in the Manhattan Bus Thread, folks gotta stop looking at maps and check out the areas as a whole.

The Q44 has it easier than the other routes since it just goes through Main Street, so artics wouldn't be much of an issue going through Flushing....plus he was talking about terminal space, as in where buses end and start in Flushing.

Like I said in the M21 thread (well, before it was merged w/ the manhattan bus thread), I like how those of us that are in the know, all come to the same conclusion....

I saw that "Q14" of his as nothin more than a modified Q31 b/w NE Queens & Jamaica.... Forget about garnering ridership along utopia pkwy up in NE queens.... That "Q57" & "Q26" of his, seriously, if folks want to get to Green Acres by bus, they're just gonna have to make their way to Jamaica Center for the Q5/85..... Don't need all those buses over there anyway...

The college point loop to me, was nothin more than a compromise for keeping service on 14th av..... Cutting service on the 25 & 65 north of flushing (which is very much heavily utilized) for the sake of keeping service along 14th av (which hardly anyone uses) is ill-advised & just plain crazy... You don't inconvenience the many to satisfy the very few - that is bass ackwards logic......

Yeah, his broadening of the term space, was his way of distorting & attacking a point I never made - Talkin about "If there is so little space, terminal or not"..... I can't fathom someone seriously confusing terminal spacing with narrow lane (spacing)....

Example: Park slope residents complaining about lack of parking in their area are not complaining about how damn narrow the roads are...

Before you go telling your ideas study the MTA maps and see what is possible and what isn't. Look on youtube for videos on the MTA buses and you'll see how they are utilized.

Nah, there is too much map studying going on.... that's the problem.

Experience is the best teacher.... muggs need to go out in the real world & see how these routes function before they go spewing ideas.....

Throwing this out there to see if it gets a pop: Extend the Q19 to 125-Park Ave? Not all runs have to 125th - Park ave but sending some could help the M60 crossing the Triboro.

From 31st & Astoria cross Triboro and stops the M35 stops on 126th and 124th St. Last stop & layover would be near side 126th St & Park Ave. First stop would be at the M98 Stop on Park Ave - 125th St. Stops on Lexington ave at 124th & 126th could be establish as needed.

I have mixed feelings about sending the Q19 to Manhattan....

The M60 could use the help, but at the same token, I do think the Q19 should remain within mainland Queens....

The Q15A in its current form is awkward in some ways, because it "backtracks" along part of its route (in order to serve areas formerly covered by the Q14) and traverses a relatively narrow stretch of road along 10th Avenue between Clintonville and 152nd Streets. In addition, the Q34 duplicates the Q25 south of Flushing and doesn't provide enough service north of Flushing. As such, I propose:

Eliminate the Q34.

Add service on the Q25 (possibly short-turn trips ending in Flushing) to compensate south of Flushing.

Revive the Q14 using its original routing north of Willets Point Boulevard and the current Q34 routing between Flushing and Willets Point Boulevard, providing full-time service both on weekdays and weekends.

Restore the Q15 to its pre-2010 form for all trips.

Ok, I see what you're sayin here..... I agree with this, for the most part....

Only thing I would do different is to have the Q14 terminate with the Q15 over there by Powell's cove.... The old 14 terminal was rather arbitrary IMO..... Even if buses have to use 10th, having the 14 serve Mitchell Gardens from Powell's cove would provide for a quicker alternative to Flushing, compared to the current 15.....

The one thing that Queens seems to lack are enough North-South local buses... It makes it hard to reach the main express buses if folks wanted to.

Queens have enough north-south local routes.... I don't see what you are sayin here.....

Queens have enough north-south local routes.... I don't see what you are sayin here.....

I knew someone would say that... Sure they do, but if you're in an area that doesn't have an express bus near by and you don't want to spend more for the LIRR then you have to make 2 connections on the local bus to get to the express buses. I was in an area of Queens that was just ridiculous a few months ago tutoring... The LIRR station was a pain to get to you had to either walk to get to it or make a good two connections on the local bus. The same was true to get to the express bus, so in sum I would basically extend some of the North-South buses to give folks more quicker options to connect to the LIRR or other express buses because otherwise you're basically forced to drive. IMO some parts of Queens are worse than Staten Island in terms of getting around using public transit, which is rather surprising.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

That "Q57" & "Q26" of his, seriously, if folks want to get to Green Acres by bus, they're just gonna have to make their way to Jamaica Center for the Q5/85..... Don't need all those buses over there anyway...

You aren't seeing the full purpose of these buses. I had them go to Green Acres because it was a convenient and sensible terminal. The Q26 is a crosstown route across South Queens. The Q57 is needed. Q27's are overcrowded. The Q57 is an SBS that'll be helping the Q27 along Springfield Blvd. You seem to have a one-track mind about my ideas in general.

Maybe because it's true perhaps?

Since you even say Sure they do, Then nothing else really needs to be said after this.... lol

There may be a lot of them but that doesn't mean that some shouldn't be extended either further north or further south, that's the point. If the (MTA) wanted the express buses and the LIRR in Queens to be more accessible they would have more local buses feeding them. I'm not saying go buck wild, but there are probably a few instances in which they should extend a few routes. I didn't understand how an LIRR station that is supposed to be designated for a particular neighborhood required two local bus connections to get to it.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

You seem to have a one-track mind about my ideas in general.

Because I have a problem with your thought process regarding a lot of your ideas.

There may be a lot of them but that doesn't mean that some shouldn't be extended either further north or further south, that's the point. If the (MTA) wanted the express buses and the LIRR in Queens to be more accessible they would have more local buses feeding them. I'm not saying go buck wild, but there are probably a few instances in which they should extend a few routes. I didn't understand how an LIRR station that is supposed to be designated for a particular neighborhood required two local bus connections to get to it.

So your point is more about connectivity than it is about there not being enough north-south local routes then...

The way your initial post was worded, would suggest that queens needs more routes that pan north-to-south..... That is not the same thing as what you are saying now.... Thanks for the clarification......

Because I have a problem with your thought process regarding a lot of your ideas.

So your point is more about connectivity than it is about there not being enough north-south local routes then...

The way your initial post was worded, would suggest that queens needs more routes that pan north-to-south..... That is not the same thing as what you are saying now.... Thanks for the clarification......

Yes poorly worded on my part... I say this because I was trying to figure out a way to either reach the nearby LIRR to tutor in two separate neighorhoods and realized that neither were reachable by using one local bus unless I took another bus and then made a transfer. In fact it was easier in one instance to get to the express bus even though that two required two transfers, but at least it didn't require me to go in the opposite direction. Basically what I had to was take one North-South bus and then transfer to another North-South bus to get up to the QM5/QM6.

What is wrong with my thought process?

- You are more occupied with creating long winded routes just because they serve more areas.... on top of it, you justify them by simply designating them as LTD's... A longer route does not make for a better route.... Which leads me to my next point:

- For the most part, you don't address problems that exist with the current system without having some route overlap a current route (which adds to redundancy).... Instead, you think up routes on a whim just because they sound like good ideas to you.... and claim fantasy when counterpoints are made in response to your ideas.... That doesn't make a certain idea any more plausible....

- Some of your ideas, it's evident that you're basing them simply by playing mix & match while looking at a bus map... If you don't see what's wrong with that, I don't know what else to tell you....

Look, I don't care if you don't consider my opinions; you can ignore me til the cows come home....

But others (and don't act all dumbfounded like it's just me that have a problem with your ideas either) that have replied to any one of your ideas basically saying the same thing I am, can't be all wrong also.....

Yes poorly worded on my part... I say this because I was trying to figure out a way to either reach the nearby LIRR to tutor in two separate neighorhoods and realized that neither were reachable by using one local bus unless I took another bus and then made a transfer. In fact it was easier in one instance to get to the express bus even though that two required two transfers, but at least it didn't require me to go in the opposite direction. Basically what I had to was take one North-South bus and then transfer to another North-South bus to get up to the QM5/QM6.

Yep, that's why Q79 cut made zero sense over there on Little Neck Pkwy.... East of Springfield blvd, forget it, there's no north south service.... Folks didn't just take that route to get to/from the LIRR (I bet that's what the MTA was thinking)... they took it to connect to other routes as well (mainly the Q12 & the Q46, but also for the Q30 & the Q43)......

Edited by B35 via Church

Q4: Rush Hour Trips to Green Arces via Linden Blvd, Stuart and Central Avenues

LEAVE as IS.. Traffic on Linden isn't that decent, and Q4 riders don't really need access to Green Acres.

Q9A: Operates between Cambria Heights and South Ozone Park via Linden Blvd. Teriminates at Lincoln and Rockaway Blvd.

What's your reason for this extension, and don't say ridership b/c there isn't any in that area.

Q24: Weekday Service To Crown Heights Utica Avenue. Weekend Service to Broadway Junction.

Not happening. (J) train feeds in that area on Broadway, and no real demand, and besides it terminates at BWAY JCT all times now.

Q89: Operates between JFK Cargo Area and Laurelton 238 St via 120th Avenue, Baisley Blvd, and 150 St.

Route Too LONG

Q111: Service to Green Arces Mall via Rosedale Road and Mill Road. Trips to Cedarhurst Eliminated

LEAVE as IS

REPLIES IN RED

They should make Far Rockaway depot an all express garage put all the spring creek bus lines and make it one Depot.

Use the Spring Creek Building as a training facilitie like Zerega in the bronx.

Q21: Rush Hour Service to Far Rockaway- Mott Avenue Station

Q54 and Q56: Terminate at the 165th Terminal. Trips to Jamaica and 170th eliminated

No leave it like it is because for the B100 and B103 and BM1-5 it is a long distance from Far Rockaway Depot

I have to agree with College Pt Man. Deadheads will be rediculous. Spring Creek (when it was Command) use to be closed on Sundays. Its only local route (B100) came out of Green Lines Arvern garage (currently far rockaway).

All of SP's routes are too far from Far Rock. Now given thatr FR has the majority of GBL's Express routes, fitting more buses for SP's routes wont fit. Then what wuould you do with the buses for the Q11, Q21,Q22, Q35 and the other split Depot routes it shares with JFK? And "well, send them to JFK" isnt gonna work either. Have you been to the JFk depot? I have. Buses on top of buses practically.

Q21 rush hours to Far rock? people barely take it to Rockaway as is now. Its why the upcoming Q21/Q52 changes are being made.

a Q9A? um....you mean the Q89, which use to be the Q9A, and was discontinued by MTA Bus not long ago because of its really low ridership? That Q9A? if it didnt work out of Jamaica, what makes anyone think it would work as sort of a "south jamaica crosstown"?

Heres some suggestions on improving Queens service, although will most likely never be implimented, but ideas based on actually riding (more than once).

Artics on Woodhaven Bl routes like the 11, 52, and 53.

possible extention of the Q111 to Green Acres. ( a destination i frequent and a corridor i frequent as well-Brewer Blvd.)

SBS on Merrik Blvd and / or Hillside Ave east of the subways

Lower manhattan Express Bus service from the Rockaways

Possibly split the 53 between both LGA and FR depots which may not be needed if the Q52 succeeds

a Q60 LTD (even im stretching that possibility)

Those are just the few that just popped into my head based on 20+ years of riding buses all over Queens.

The MTA seriously needs to expand the former private lines depots. I'm surprised JFK and LGA can fit 200+ buses. Some NYCT depots are like that too but a lot of those buses are always heading in and out of the depot.

I have a question why do so many people want another bus route to Green Arces so badly? I mean the Q5 and Q85 from Jamaica already go that way so that idea is closed and now buses from Flushing come on now who's going to be on a bus for that long trip. That is like telling the M5 to make all local stops no one is going to want to be on a bus that long.

I knew someone would say that... Sure they do, but if you're in an area that doesn't have an express bus near by and you don't want to spend more for the LIRR then you have to make 2 connections on the local bus to get to the express buses. I was in an area of Queens that was just ridiculous a few months ago tutoring... The LIRR station was a pain to get to you had to either walk to get to it or make a good two connections on the local bus. The same was true to get to the express bus, so in sum I would basically extend some of the North-South buses to give folks more quicker options to connect to the LIRR or other express buses because otherwise you're basically forced to drive. IMO some parts of Queens are worse than Staten Island in terms of getting around using public transit, which is rather surprising.

But the thing is that if everybody's taking the subway, there's no point in extending the local routes just for the sake of the occasional rider who may want to go into Manhattan on the express bus. Wasn't that the time when you were in St. Albans or something? Well in that case, the MTA plans around people either taking the bus to the LIRR or subway, not the express bus.

I'm only touching routes I know

Q23: Some buses can go either express to 71 Avenue from LIE during rush hours or some can run limited stop service along 108 Street

Q29/Q49: Merged with and connected by Roosevelt Avenue. Bus would operate Q49 route, Roosevelt Avenue to 82 street, than Q29 route at 82 street, and vice-virsa. The route will be called Q49.

Some Points:

• Don't like the Q23 idea fro two reasons: one, I use it everyday to get to school (Forest Hills High School), so I get a feel on how the route operates in that section. An "express" section between the 71st Ave Stop & the L.I.E. is not feasible b/c that's where most of the riders come from- that, and people wanting to get to the (7)<7> train from North Corona/East Elmhurst and parts of South Corona. Having a run that would completely skip the busiest stops on the route (besides Queens Blvd/71st Ave), such as 67 Ave, 65 Road/Ave, and 63 Road would diminish ridership because the people who get off at Queens Blvd to catch the (E)(F)(M)(R) often at times, get on at those stops. Also, how would I get to school if my stop is skipped? ;)
  • On the Q29/Q49 Merger thought, the traffic on Roosevelt Ave (that street is terrible in terms of traffic, and that fact that's it narrow doesn't help either, that's the main problem on the Q32/Q33 as well) would probably make that idea hard to sell.

Q66 needs a LTD service and can replace half of current LIC bus if budget is the case. The stops are Flushing 108 st,103,junction,90,82,73,69,Broadway,35 Av and all stop to LIC

Thank you! That is what I was going to propose. I live on Northern Blvd so I rely on the Q66 for service and it is slow. Service is erratic at best, and it does have to cover a long route from Queens Plaza, a very busy transportation hub to where it provides connections to 10 different bus routes, direct and indirect connections to 7 different subway lines, to another extremely busy transportation hub, Flushing-Main Street, in which it provides connections to 23 different bus routes, the IRT Flushing Line (7)<7> and the Long Island Railroad’s Port Washington’s Branch.

These suggestions that I present in this post are not just meant to improve service on the Q66 route, but to improve connections on this busy important route, and to provide better options for those wishing better and faster commutes around Queens. convert some of the runs of the Q66 into Limited Bus runs, proving faster, reliable service to commuters. The line intersects with many important bus lines, and some of them are routes that serve LaGuardia Airport, while others run to areas such as Forest Hills, Astoria and Sunnyside. As such, here are the stops to which I propose there should be Limited Stop Service as well as their reasons. LTD Service would really help out the Q66. That, and better dispatching (the bus bunches alot!).I would have the LTD Stops located differently though, and those stops are....

• -Queens Plaza (Terminal)- Connections to the Q32, Q39, Q60, Q67, Q69, Q100, Q101, Q102, B62, as well as the and the (7) & (N)(Q) lines at the Queensboro Plaza and the (E)(M) & ® lines at Queens Plaza.
  • -21st Street & 41st Avenue- Connections to the Q69 & Q100 and the (F) line at the 21st Street-Queensbridge subway station.
  • -21st Street & 35th Avenue
  • -35th Avenue & 31st Street- Connections to the Q102 and the (N) & (Q) lines at 36th Avenue.
  • -35th Avenue & Steinway Street- Connections to the Q101 and the (M) & ® trains at the Steinway Street Station at Steinway and 34th Avenue/Broadway.
  • -Northern Blvd & 48th Street- Connections to the Q104, and improved service to the shopping center at 48th Street.
  • -Northern Blvd & Broadway- Connections to the Q18 and the (M) & ® lines at the Northern Blvd Station.
  • -Northern Blvd & 72nd/74th Streets- Connection to the Q47 for either the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave Transit Complex or the Marine Air Terminal at LaGuardia Airport.
  • -Northern Blvd & 82nd Streets- Connections to the Q32 to Midtown-Penn Station and the Q33 for either the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave Transit Complex or LaGuardia Airport-Central Terminal.
  • -Northern Blvd & 89th/90th Streets- Connection to the Q49 for either the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave Transit Complex or East Elmhurst.
  • -Northern Blvd & Junction Blvd- Connection to the Q72 for LaGuardia Airport-Central Terminal or 63rd Drive-Rego Park.
  • -Northern Blvd & 102/103 Streets- Connection to the Q23 for East Elmhurst or Forest Hills.
  • -Northern Blvd & 108th Street- Connection to the Q48 for LaGuardia Airport
  • -And all local stops to Flushing-Main Street.

There should also be Bus Turn Priority for buses turning left from northbound 21st St to westbound 41st Av and southbound 21st St to eastbound Queens Blvd, as well putting some Bus Lanes on Northern as well, as that would also help out the QM2,QM3, & QM20. Also, why not extend the Q32 to run on Northern? I see a lot of Q32 buses who are done with their runs turn on 81st into Northern and then go to Stengel Depot at 126th. I would extend the Q32 after Northern-81 St to Citi Field via Northern or at least to 114th St/Northern Blvd. That way, it could still reach CS deport, but at the same time, improve service along Northern Blvd. It would add some service on the (Q66) and cut down on the frustration on the riders on the line, when during Rush Hours we see like at least 3 or 4 Not in Service Q32 buses zoom past Northern until a (Q66) finally comes.

FYI LIRR is cheaper than express bus on weekends and it's monthly is $193 and that is it immunity to peak fares is granted with it. Also $5.75 for fast efficient service on LIRR VS $5.50 for slow express bus that has no business calling itself express especially on weekends with LIRR costing $3.75 the choice is very easy to make why sit in traffic to save a measly 25¢? ask yourself that via 8

try these:

Restore and restructure Q79 new routing extends via baisley blvd to JFK directly via 150th. service will be adjusted accordingly. End at jewish med center northern portion transfered to Q46 select runs or full Q79 with jfk extension.

Q77 eliminated. Q26 regains all lost service then extends via frances lewes replacing most of Q77.

Q43 becomes full-time 100% LTD. Local service provided by extended Q36/2.

Q50 streamlined between queens and pelham bay rerouted to I-95 express non-stop between pelham bay park subway and queens. Bypassed stops served by Bx5 to Q44.

the Q38 split into 2 routes stay tuned for details.

You're joking, right?