Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Q43LTD

Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Some Points:

[*]Don't like the Q23 idea fro two reasons: one, I use it everyday to get to school (Forest Hills High School), so I get a feel on how the route operates in that section. An "express" section between the 71st Ave Stop & the L.I.E. is not feasible b/c that's where most of the riders come from- that, and people wanting to get to the (7)<7> train from North Corona/East Elmhurst and parts of South Corona. Having a run that would completely skip the busiest stops on the route (besides Queens Blvd/71st Ave), such as 67 Ave, 65 Road/Ave, and 63 Road would diminish ridership because the people who get off at Queens Blvd to catch the (E)(F)(M)(R) often at times, get on at those stops. Also, how would I get to school if my stop is skipped? ;)

[*]On the Q29/Q49 Merger thought, the traffic on Roosevelt Ave (that street is terrible in terms of traffic, and that fact that's it narrow doesn't help either, that's the main problem on the Q32/Q33 as well) would probably make that idea hard to sell.

Q23: I also suggested a limited stop pattern stopping along 43/108, Corona/108, HHE/108, 62DR/108, 63Av/108, 65 Av/108, 67 Rd/108, Forest Hills-71 Avenue subway, then Austin/69, Burns/69 Avenue, Fleet/69, then local stops to Union Turnpike. Under the express pattern there would still be local service provided by short-turns.

Q29/Q49: Q29/Q49 can also be combined from 37 Avenue as well. Besides it can run non-stop on 37 Avenue and 83/82 streets

Edited by Q23 Central Term

Q23: I also suggested a limited stop pattern stopping along 43/108, Corona/108, HHE/108, 62DR/108, 63Av/108, 65 Av/108, 67 Rd/108, Forest Hills-71 Avenue subway, then Austin/69, Burns/69 Avenue, Fleet/69, then local stops to Union Turnpike. Under the express pattern there would still be local service provided by short-turns.

Q29/Q49: Q29/Q49 can also be combined from 37 Avenue as well. Besides it can run non-stop on 37 Avenue and 83/82 streets

On the limited plan for the Q23, I agree with you somewhat on that, but would the current scheduling allow it? You have to keep in mind that the Q23 has a major problem in regards to bunching- it bunches a lot due to traffic (and people not having the fares ready) on Austin Street (where people have the annoying habit of double parking there, plus it's a major commercial street) and when it turns into 108 Street to hit the Forest Hills-71 Ave Station. Short turning buses would not work because the reasons mentioned above.

On the Q29/Q49: 37 Ave has the same problem as Roosevelt: it is heavily trafficked, too narrow, and people double park there too much to allow any buses who might travel through three to go with speed- and thus, cause bunching. Leave it as is.

• Upvote 1

q43 what ideas were you refferring to Q43 LTD all day is a good idea Q79 extension provides easier access to JFK and bus service to baisley blvd. Q50 speeds up the route and alternatives exisy. what part do you expect me to joke about

MTA got it right w/ merging the Q45 w/ the Q47.... both routes had not so great headways individually... now look at how much service the combined route (47) gets...... riders on both "sides" of the route benefitted....

It would be a mistake to combine the Q29 w/ the Q49.... the Q49 actually runs at 3-5 min headways during rush hour (that route's come a long way since the Q19b days).... Q49 riders would lose out; there's no way they'd keep those same headways if it were to be merged w/ the 29...... Those routes should be kept separate.....

• Upvote 2

q43 what ideas were you refferring to Q43 LTD all day is a good idea Q79 extension provides easier access to JFK and bus service to baisley blvd. Q50 speeds up the route and alternatives exisy. what part do you expect me to joke about

The Q43 I actually agree with.

For the Q79, I doubt there are enough riders to justify the extension, and it would make it too long for the Little Neck Parkway riders, who should be your main audience.

For the Q50, I can't say there's anything wrong with it per se, but I just don't think it will work out. Maybe if they add some service to the Bx5, it would work.

As for the Q26, B35 already explained it.

MTA got it right w/ merging the Q45 w/ the Q47.... both routes had not so great headways individually... now look at how much service the combined route (47) gets...... riders on both "sides" of the route benefitted....

It would be a mistake to combine the Q29 w/ the Q49.... the Q49 actually runs at 3-5 min headways during rush hour (that route's come a long way since the Q19b days).... Q49 riders would lose out; there's no way they'd keep those same headways if it were to be merged w/ the 29...... Those routes should be kept separate.....

Couldn't they short-turn some buses at Jackson Heights, though (for Q49 riders)?

And I can't open PDF files now. Can you summarize the increases in service on the Q45 and Q47 portions?

Here are all my old Queens suggestions:

Q38, which begins and ends a few blocks apart in Rego Park, but loops over to the Metropolitan Avenue M station and back. A nice shortcut through Middle Village, but requires either the train, or bus transfer to get the rest of the way to Ridgewood. So the northern half, which goes straight across Eliot Avenue (a 20 minute ride from Metropolitan) would be discontinued. It would now end at a loop Mt. Olivet Crescent, Eliot, Fresh Pond and Metropolitan, (to serve those on this side of the cemetery who would be more likely to need access to the Metropolitan station than those further out on Eliot. Those on the other side of the cemetery would still have the Q67 or whatever might replace it on 69th St.) This would be replaced by either the Q58LTD, rerouted off of the busy Grand Avenue, or another line, perhaps an extended Q88, which goes along the LIE from the east, to Queens Blvd.

The 58 is an incredibly long winding route, on traffic packed Grand Avenue and the meandering Corona Avenue, and even with the LTD, often suffers from large gaps due to bunching (because of all the riders). Riding one end to the other from Flushing to Ridgewood feels like getting off a Greyhound from another state! This should either be straightened (and let the Grand Ave. riders have their own route), or at least give us another line across Eliot to Queens Blvd. where the mall is. Exending the 88 might also lure some riders away from the busy Queens Blv. subway to the less used M!

Q39 and Q67. These are the winding routes connecting the area with Long Island City. There was speculation they would be combined somehow, or one discontinued. Since the 39 is the one that comes closest to here, that is the one I suggest straightening out. The 67 could continue to focus on all the little residential pockets dotting the factory belt, and pick up some that would be abandoned by the 39 in my suggestions.

Not only are they not even thinking of making the 39 more direct, but they're made it more indirect, by taking it off of 58th St. in one direction, where the street is being made one way. So now it goes up Maurice avenue, and cuts across to the current route. Like it wasn't long, slow and winding enough!

So northbound, the Q39 after Metropolitan would take a shortcut across Andrews Ave. and 59th Pl. (northbound) or 60th St. (southbound) to 59th Dr. and then Rust St. to 48th St.; then along Borden Avenue to Van Dam, where it would take Queens Blvd. to QBP, and then start and end at the Courthouse Sq. 7 station, (perhaps via 21st St.) instead of swinging by there (out of the way) enroute. The current route along Fresh Pond gets caught in traffic, and then along Greenpoint Ave. and 58th St to the BQE is very long and indirect. 48th St, segment can also be slow sometimes, and taking Thompson and swinging by Courthouse Sq. also adds more time. All of this adds up to a very long trip, for the moderate distance actually being traveled. The Q67 could pick up the Thompson/Van Dam/48Av./48St./BQE/58th St. route, and then continue, as current, beyond 58th St.

Then, I would create a more direct route between Ridgewood to the busy Jackson Heights, Roosevelt Avenue hub (or at least the LIRR Woodside area). This would involve extending either the Q18 or Q47, (and straightening them out while at it). A DOT consultant had suggested extending the 18 down 69th St. to Metropolitan Ave. station to replace the 67, which they suggested reducing to rush hours only. So then I got the idea to just extend it all the way into Ridgewood, somehow. One plan was to extend it to the new Atlas Park Mall (a nice grassy shopping center that looks reminds me of something you would see in Orlando's International Drive, or California), but area residents have been opposing it. (Meanwhile, it is a different through route that does get rerouted out of the way there!)

Also, the area's only express bus to Manhattan, QM24, takes the LIE way out to Rego Park before coming back towards Fresh Pond on Eliot Ave. This I would have leave the LIE at the Maurice Ave. exit, and take 64th St. to Flushing Avenue, and then Fresh Pond, then the rest of the route. Manhattan-bound, they would take 61st St. to Borden Ave. east to 69th, to Queens Blvd. One of the other express routes, such as the QM10 could be extended along the Eliot portion of the line to 69th St. Or, one of them could serve Eliot first, using the same exit at Maurice Avenue, and follow the QM24 to Eliot Avenue at Fresh Pond Rd. and turn East on Eliot. Since this would draw many of the QM24 riders to the other line, the QM24 could be extended via Myrtle to the Union Tpke/Metropolitan Ave/Woodhaven loop (and maybe also the Yellowstone stretch) currently served by the QM12, giving those riders an alternative to the busy Rego Park routing.

Also, the extension of the Q55 from stopping just short of Jamaica in Richmond Hills to continuing all the way into Jamaica, or at least to the Van Wyck E station. Now, the Q54 is the lifeline to Jamaica (accessible by the M or 58, otherwise, other trains with transfers), and that too is slow with traffic during the day. Not only that, the one fast stretch, through a little cemetery they have eliminated to make it swing over to the new mall on Cooper Avenue. More turns, traffic and narrow streets! It's just amazing how the one line that goes straight to Ridgewood cuts back, and even the other ones they make slower. It almost seems deliberate!

Couldn't they short-turn some buses at Jackson Heights, though (for Q49 riders)?

And I can't open PDF files now. Can you summarize the increases in service on the Q45 and Q47 portions?

- What happens when you try to open a PDF file ?

- They could short turn buses - but then there would be no point of combining the routes if you're gonna have that many buses (same or similar service levels of the current Q49) short-turning on the combined 29/49 route.......

- As far as the headway differences b/w the current 47 & [the old 45 & old 47]

current Q47 weekdays: 8 min/am rush, 20 min/midday, 9 min/pm rush, 14 min/evening hrs, no late night service

old Q45 weekdays: 8 min/am rush, 20 min/midday, 10 min/pm rush, 15 min/evening hrs, no late night service

old Q47 weekdays: 8 min/am rush, 20 min/midday, 8 min/pm rush, 14 min/evening hrs, no late night service

* The major difference with the combined route is that buses (obviously) are coming more uniformly, since there's no layover @ 74th st terminal.... the waiting times for a 45 or a 47 throughout the day made its stated/posted headways null & void..... I don't know as much about the 45 (but I bet those that frequented that route will tell you something similar to what I'm about to say about the old 47), but the old 47 did not actually come every 8 mins. during the rush - nowhere near it.... You were lucky if a (old) 47 even came after like 8pm..... No more 47's sometimes coming into 74th st & turning into 33's or 49's when those crowds piled up......

As far as weekend service, nothin changed in terms of headways b/w the old separate 45/47 & the current 47... it's still 30 mins all day except for late night service.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I have mixed feelings about sending the Q19 to Manhattan....

The M60 could use the help, but at the same token, I do think the Q19 should remain within mainland Queens....

I see what your saying and could say that the extension to 125th-Park would be a weekday only extension. It seems as 125th/RFK isn't as backup on weekends.

The only other problem I see which could be fixed by the Port Authority would be making Route A have a stop on Astoria Bvld and 82nd St so that those who take the Q19 wouldn't have to send a second+ fare after transfering from the 4,5,6, Metro North, or E. Harlem bus service

- What happens when you try to open a PDF file ?

- They could short turn buses - but then there would be no point of combining the routes if you're gonna have that many buses (same or similar service levels of the current Q49) short-turning on the combined 29/49 route.......

- As far as the headway differences b/w the current 47 & [the old 45 & old 47]

current Q47 weekdays: 8 min/am rush, 20 min/midday, 9 min/pm rush, 14 min/evening hrs, no late night service

old Q45 weekdays: 8 min/am rush, 20 min/midday, 10 min/pm rush, 15 min/evening hrs, no late night service

old Q47 weekdays: 8 min/am rush, 20 min/midday, 8 min/pm rush, 14 min/evening hrs, no late night service

* The major difference with the combined route is that buses (obviously) are coming more uniformly, since there's no layover @ 74th st terminal.... the waiting times for a 45 or a 47 throughout the day made its stated/posted headways null & void..... I don't know as much about the 45 (but I bet those that frequented that route will tell you something similar to what I'm about to say about the old 47), but the old 47 did not actually come every 8 mins. during the rush - nowhere near it.... You were lucky if a (old) 47 even came after like 8pm..... No more 47's sometimes coming into 74th st & turning into 33's or 49's when those crowds piled up......

As far as weekend service, nothin changed in terms of headways b/w the old separate 45/47 & the current 47... it's still 30 mins all day except for late night service.....

-The computer opens sort of a blank page (all I see is white instead of seeing any kind of text) and then says "Internet Explorer has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the program" and then on the page itself, it says:

"

We were unable to return you to mta.info.

<id id="mainTitleNoScript">We were unable to return you to the page you were viewing.</id>

Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem.

What you can do:

Go to your home page<id id="goHomeNoScript">Go to your home page.</id>

Try to return to mta.info<id id="retryNoScript">Try to return to the page you were viewing.</id>

More information<ID id="moreInformation">More information</ID>

When a website causes a failure or crash, Internet Explorer attempts to restore the site. It stops after two tries to avoid an endless loop.

I think I need to install Adobe Reader or something like that, but for some reason, my computer can't install it.

As far as short-turns go, the thing is that it could still benefit riders traveling between the Q29 portion and Q49 portion. If you're waiting in Jackson Heights and a short-turn pulls up, you're no worse off than you were before. If a bus going the full route pulls up, then you save yourself the trouble of transferring. If you're going the opposite direction (Glendale to Jackson Heights), then the only difference is that you save yourself a transfer.

But then again, it probably comes down to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I'm only touching routes I know

Q1: Retain

Q3: Some increased headways rush-hours

Q4: Nothing much we can do

Q5: Some Green Acers Limited-Stop Service

Q6: Retain

Q7: Extend Some trips to Van Wyck and Conduit or Guy.R Brewer and Baisley Blvd. Q7 then can be based more out of Baisley

Q8: Retain

Q11: Add extra service dear lord. I hate being flagged by 4-5 buses at the 66th Avenue Stop towards QCM

Q12: Retain

q13: Retain

Q14: Renamed from Q15A

Q15A: Renamed Q14

Q16: I honestly think the Utopia Avenue Branch should be called something else

Q17: Retain

Q18: Send several buses to Glendale during rush hours, since buses can easily flag me at the Queens Blvd bus stop. These buses would operate regular route until Woodside/65 PL, then Woodside Avenue, and Q47 route to Glendale

Q19: Replaced by Q48 and Q49

Q20: Add extra flushing trips from Jamaica at 8:07 AM and 5:55 PM to relieve overcrowding from other buses rush hours

Q21: Last Stop should be on the mainland honestly. When I fanned on Jan 8, I was the only one on the bus, and it was the8:30 Bus

Q23: Some buses can go either express to 71 Avenue from LIE during rush hours or some can run limited stop service along 108 Street

Q29/Q49: Merged with and connected by Roosevelt Avenue. Bus would operate Q49 route, Roosevelt Avenue to 82 street, than Q29 route at 82 street, and vice-virsa. The route will be called Q49.

Q38: Eliminated. Unless CP maintains this bus better. Today 5

Q39: Unchanged

Q40: Unchanged

Q41: Unchanged

Q42: Off Peak Weekday service retained

Q43: Weekday All Day Limited Between 169- Braddock

Q44: Additional Peak Trips and Saturday trips added to relieve overcrowding

Q47: Additional service to Glendale Weekends

Q48: Extended Aling Astoria Blvd to 21 street, Rerouted onto Astoria Blvd from 94 to 21 street, looping the MAT on 82 street

Q49:Combined Route also extended to Flushing via Q19 route

Q50: Retain

Q52: Start from Corona Q38 terminal, then local alng proposed former Q38 route until Woodhaven Blvd, then limited stops to Arverne

Q53: Some trips can end in Jackson Heights

Q54: A limited variant can be added

Q55: Extended to Jamaica Van Wyck via Jamaica Avenue

Q56: Retain

Q58: Retain

Q59: Extended to 71st Avenue

Q60: Unchanged,

Q64:Extended on Jewel Avenue and 73 Avenue to Springfield Blvd

Q65: More Peak Trips

Q66: A limited variety

Q67: Regular route until 69/Eliot, then Q38 route to/from 110 street/ 62 DR. The Q67 will still serve the Metropolitan Avenue (M) station

Q79; Bring Back Peak Service first, then gradually extending time periods

Q83: Retain

Q84;Retain

Q85: Retain

Q88: Extended to Metropolitan Avenue (M) via Eliot Avenue Q38 segment. The current Q88 pattern is 45 minutes. The Eliot Avenue segment will add 20 more minutes. The total pattern would be 1 hr 5 minutes. Also the Q88 would stop with the QM10/QM11 to Middle Village and at the Current Q38 stop at 92 street towards Queens Village( Shared with proposed Q52 route)

Q100; Retain

Q101: Retain

Q102: Retain

Q103: Retain

Q104: Retain 48 street portion and alternate with a new Fully Broadway Sections( Operating twice as the frequencies per branch) and Terminate at Broadway/Queens Blvd fully via Broadway

Q110: Extend via Q112 to Ozone Park

Q111/Q113: Retain

Q112: Combined with Q110

Q39: Unchanged

Q40: Unchanged

Q41: Unchanged

Q42: Off Peak Weekday service retained

Q43: Weekday All Day Limited Between 169- Braddock

Q44: Additional Peak Trips and Saturday trips added to relieve overcrowding

Q47: Additional service to Glendale Weekends

Q48: Extended Aling Astoria Blvd to 21 street, Rerouted onto Astoria Blvd from 94 to 21 street, looping the MAT on 82 street

Q50: Retain

Q52: Start from Corona Q38 terminal, then local alng proposed former Q38 route until Woodhaven Blvd, then limited stops to Arverne

Q53: Some trips can end in Jackson Heights

Q54: A limited variant can be added

Q55: Extended to Jamaica Van Wyck via Jamaica Avenue

Q56: Retain

Q58: Retain

Q59: Extended to 71st Avenue

Q60: Unchanged,

Q64:Extended on Jewel Avenue and 73 Avenue to Springfield Blvd

Q65: More Peak Trips

Q66: A limited variety

Q67: Regular route until 69/Eliot, then Q38 route to/from 110 street/ 62 DR. The Q67 will still serve the Metropolitan Avenue (M) station

Q79; Bring Back Peak Service first, then gradually extending time periods

Q83: Retain

Q84;Retain

Q85: Retain

Q88: Extended to Metropolitan Avenue (M) via Eliot Avenue Q38 segment. The current Q88 pattern is 45 minutes. The Eliot Avenue segment will add 20 more minutes. The total pattern would be 1 hr 5 minutes. Also the Q88 would stop with the QM10/QM11 to Middle Village and at the Current Q38 stop at 92 street towards Queens Village( Shared with proposed Q52 route)

Q100; Retain

Q101: Retain

Q102: Retain

Q103: Retain

Q104: Retain 48 street portion and alternate with a new Fully Broadway Sections( Operating twice as the frequencies per branch) and Terminate at Broadway/Queens Blvd fully via Broadway

For the Q64 to get to 73 and Springfield via Jewel Ave due to the fact the street is one way and narrow after 164st.

The Q112 can't get combined with the Q110 because they both travel in two different directions. The Q112 actually has ridership and has lots of people that wants to go to Jamaica or the A train.

Q19: Replaced by Q48 and Q49

Q29/Q49: Merged with and connected by Roosevelt Avenue.

Bus would operate Q49 route, Roosevelt Avenue to 82 street, than Q29 route at 82 street, and vice-virsa. The route will be called Q49.

If you're gonna break up the Q19 & send the Q49 to Flushing, you may as well have the Q19 run to LGA to help out the M60....

Then you could still have the Q48 serve the (N)(Q) @ Ditmars (via 23rd & via ditmars blvd) w/o having buses loop inside Marine Air.....

One of the main reasons the Q19 even got the increase in riders that it did with the past extension (from 101st), is b/c it provides that quick link b/w Flushing & the (N)(Q).....

I'm still not seeing why you want to extend/involve the Q29 into this, but that's w/e.....

Edited by B35 via Church

How will the Q55 go back to Rigdewood when it teriminates at Jamaica Van Wyck?

It would turn around at hillside ave since its only a block away.

I figured it would just loop around via Metropolitan and 132nd St.
  • Upvote 1

How do you think thats going to work? As I am one that lives right next to the Q112, that's not going to work due to the fact that they have entirely different service patterns and ridership patterns. Just leave them as they are....

Why? Why? Why? SMDH

I'm tired of preaching this BS

Folks need to stop looking at maps and check out the areas and the routes as a whole.

I just wish that folks would think before they post instead of throwing some really dumb ideas onto the table (Unless of course, its their excuse for boosting their post count....)

Edited by Cait Sith
  • Upvote 2

And when you actually try to make those changes in reality you have to involve politicians and politicians can be very territorial about their areas/districts. However, if you know riders from that area and they complain or tell you about a situation and you want to be a citywide/regionwide transit advocate, then that is okay.

Edited by Bounad Hanhic

Q85: Extended to Huxley Street/149th Avenue via Huxley.

Q111: Limited Stop Service between Rosedale and Jamaica.

For the Q64 to get to 73 and Springfield via Jewel Ave due to the fact the street is one way and narrow after 164st.

The Q112 can't get combined with the Q110 because they both travel in two different directions. The Q112 actually has ridership and has lots of people that wants to go to Jamaica or the A train.

The Q64 could turn right on 164th St, then left on 73rd Av to continue east.

• Upvote 2

Should the MTA send some more of their local Queens routes to Nassau County?