Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should the MTA send some more of their local Queens routes to Nassau County?

Didn't think that should be the case pre-NICE.... and I definitely don't think that should be the case now.....

Only one that really tends to be brought up (enough), is the Q12 to LIRR Great neck.....

Didn't think that should be the case pre-NICE.... and I definitely don't think that should be the case now.....

Only one that really tends to be brought up (enough), is the Q12 to LIRR Great neck.....

That, and the Q4 going a couple of blocks more to connect with the N1.

I want to bring out some proposals

Maspeth/ Glendale

-Q33 extention

-Q47 reduction

-Q18 extention and realignment

-Q54 Limited Stop service

-Q18/Q47 Extention to Myrtle Avenue

Q33 Extention

The Q33 would be extended along Roosevelt Avenue and 39 Avenue , then, in both directions, buses would travel the entire Q18 route to Grand Avenue, Middays,nights,and weekends starting from 58 street/ 39 Avenue

Glendale

Q54 Limited Stop Service

Is is noticed, that over the years, Q54 has steadily risen over the years, sometimes with busses flagging people. In an effort to save commutors time, Q54 buses will have a Limited Stop pattern. This limited stop Pattern would bypass the Glendale Area, Making one the Woodhaven Blvd Stops and the 80 street/Metropolitan Stops in Glendale

Proposed Stops

Jamaica 170 Street

JamaicaAvenue & Queens Blvd

Metropolitan Avenue & Lefferts Blvd

Metropolitan Avenue & Park Lane South

Metropolitan Avenue & 71 Avenue

Metropolitan Avenue& Woodhaven Blvd

Metropolitan Avenue & 80 Street

Metropolitan Avenue & 73 street

Metropolitan Avenue (M) Train Station

Metropolitan Avenue & Fresh Pond Road

Metropolitan Avenue & Flushing Avenue

Metropolitan Avenue & Grand Street

Grand Street & Union Avenue

Willamsburg Bridge Plaza

Q47 Reduction.

The Q47 would be reduced to operate to Glendale Rush Hours only during weekdays. The Q18 would be realigned to served Q47 areas

Around 200 or less riders would be affected of this service change

Q18 Extention and realignment

The Q18 would be realigned and extended to Glendale via the Q47 route Middays, nights, and weekends

The Q18 would run it's current routing until Roosevelt Avenue and Woodside Avenue, then follow Roosevelt Avenue to the 74 street hub. From there buses take the Q47 routing to Glendale, providing Glendale with a quick connector to the Astoria Community

Q18/Q47 extention to Myrtle Avenue

The Q47 (Rush Hours) Only/Q18 ( Off Peak Hours) wil be extended to Myrtle Avenue to Provide Better Connections to Riders

Other Proposals

-Q11/Q21 Proposal To Jackson Heights

Under this proposal, the Q11/Q21 would be extended via the Q53 route to Jackson Heights. The Q29 would operate at 25 minute headways off peak hours except during Saturday Mornings and Weekday Middays, where it would run every 20 minutes

- Q38 Eliminated and realignments in Elmhurst Area Buses

The Q38 would be eliminated, to ensure more reliable service on each of the Corridors. The following bus routes would operate along the 38 route

Q88

Under this proposal, the Q88 would be extended via the Q38 route along Eliot Avenue and Metropolitan Avenue to 69 street and Juniper Valley Road.

Q67

Under this proposal, the Q67 would turn left onto Juniper Valley Road and no longer provide a connection to the (M) Train. Riders are encouraged to take the Q38 This bus would be extended on the Q38 route until 110 street & 62 Drive

Q52

Under this proposal, the Q52 would start at the current Q38 terminal in Corona and operate to Woodhaven Blvd. Riders for sections along Ekiot Avenue are encouraged to take the Q88 AT Hoffman Drive. For Service along Penelope, and 62 Dr/63 Rd or 63 Drive, customers are encouraged to get off at Woodhaven Blvd and 63 Drive/Penelope Avenue and take either a LIC or Forest Hills bound Q67

Edited by Q23 Central Term

- Q33 Extention

The Q33 would be extended along Roosevelt Avenue and 39 Avenue , then, in both directions, buses would travel the entire Q18 route to Grand Avenue, Middays,nights,and weekends starting from 58 street/ 39 Avenue

- Q54 Limited Stop Service

Is is noticed, that over the years, Q54 has steadily risen over the years, sometimes with busses flagging people. In an effort to save commutors time, Q54 buses will have a Limited Stop pattern. This limited stop Pattern would bypass the Glendale Area, Making one the Woodhaven Blvd Stops and the 80 street/Metropolitan Stops in Glendale

** list of Proposed Q54 LTD Stops **

- Q47 Reduction / Q18 Extention and realignment

The Q47 would be reduced to operate to Glendale Rush Hours only during weekdays. The Q18 would be realigned and extended to Glendale via the Q47 route Middays, nights, and weekends. Around 200 or less riders would be affected of this service change

The Q47 (Rush Hours) Only/Q18 ( Off Peak Hours) wil be extended to Myrtle Avenue to Provide Better Connections to Riders

The Q18 would run it's current routing until Roosevelt Avenue and Woodside Avenue, then follow Roosevelt Avenue to the 74 street hub. From there buses take the Q47 routing to Glendale, providing Glendale with a quick connector to the Astoria Community

Under this proposal, the Q11/Q21 would be extended via the Q53 route to Jackson Heights. The Q29 would operate at 25 minute headways off peak hours except during Saturday Mornings and Weekday Middays, where it would run every 20 minutes

The Q38 would be eliminated, to ensure more reliable service on each of the Corridors. The following bus routes would operate along the 38 route:

* Q88 - Under this proposal, the Q88 would be extended via the Q38 route along Eliot Avenue and Metropolitan Avenue to 69 street and Juniper Valley Road.

* Q67 - Under this proposal, the Q67 would turn left onto Juniper Valley Road and no longer provide a connection to the (M) Train. This bus would be extended on the Q38 route until 110 street & 62 Drive

* Q52 - Under this proposal, the Q52 would start at the current Q38 terminal in Corona and operate to Woodhaven Blvd. Riders for sections along Ekiot Avenue are encouraged to take the Q88 AT Hoffman Drive. For Service along Penelope, and 62 Dr/63 Rd or 63 Drive, customers are encouraged to get off at Woodhaven Blvd and 63 Drive/Penelope Avenue and take either a LIC or Forest Hills bound Q67

Shortened the post to make the quoted post less lengthy..... Anyway:

- Simply don't agree with any Q33 extension - From LGA to 74th st terminal is as ideal/maximal (efficiency-wise) that route's gonna get...

- lol @ Q54 ltd service.... unless you plan on having buses hovering over the very narrow Metropolitan av from stop to stop, good luck with that...

- Breaking up the Q18 @ roosevelt to have it take on the Q47 at-and-south of 74th st terminal?

Not sure what you're trying to solve by doing all that.... surely you have some explanation.....

- Q11/21 to jackson hgts... Bro, do you not see the heavy crowds at Hoffman that bombard the woodhaven locals... Do you not see the hell-of-a-time NB buses take to get to the last stop on QB? It's bad enough the 53 gotta deal w/ that, on top of panning northward on top of it.... Those buses need (and I don't use that term often when I talk about bus routes) to remain right where they are....

The 38 breakup plan here, ok....

- your Q88 I like... you could even truncate it on the eastern end & have it serve oakland gdns/230 st (like the old 75), instead of it swinging all the way down to LIRR QV like it currently does.... QV bound Q88's have a tendency to almost empty out @ springfield (for the 27) anyway...

- The Q67 running over to rego park makes no sense.... Middle Village riders take that route primarily to get to the (7) [at hunters pt.] to get to manhattan..... Try to find/think up another place to send the 63rd Drive spur.....

- Q52... How can I say this.... I don't necessarily dislike the idea, but I still think the Q52 should remain @ hoffman dr. to relieve all those folks bombarding 53's (for woodhaven LTD service).... I agree with the MTA starting a woodhaven LTD route over there, instead of having Q53's come in, already packed to the gills.....

- The Q67 running over to rego park makes no sense.... Middle Village riders take that route primarily to get to the (7) [at hunters pt.] to get to manhattan..... Try to find/think up another place to send the 63rd Drive spur.....

- Q52... How can I say this.... I don't necessarily dislike the idea, but I still think the Q52 should remain @ hoffman dr. to relieve all those folks bombarding 53's (for woodhaven LTD service).... I agree with the MTA starting a woodhaven LTD route over there, instead of having Q53's come in, already packed to the gills.....

Q67: In any case it can divert onto the Q38 route from Eliot Avenue/69 Street, use Fresh Pond Road, and still serve both 63 Drive and LIC

I never said that the Q67 would run from the (M) Station to 63 Drive. I said that It would run regular routing until 69 street and Juniper Valley, Then use the 38 routing meanwhile bypassing the station. In that case then, Q67 could loop Middle Village sort of

Q52: The Q11/21 also can work as well probably, since it's almost the same headways

- Simply don't agree with any Q33 extension - From LGA to 74th st terminal is as ideal/maximal (efficiency-wise) that route's gonna get...

- lol @ Q54 ltd service.... unless you plan on having buses hovering over the very narrow Metropolitan av from stop to stop, good luck with that...

- Breaking up the Q18 @ roosevelt to have it take on the Q47 at-and-south of 74th st terminal?

Not sure what you're trying to solve by doing all that.... surely you have some explanation.....

- Q11/21 to jackson hgts... Bro, do you not see the heavy crowds at Hoffman that bombard the woodhaven locals... Do you not see the hell-of-a-time NB buses take to get to the last stop on QB? It's bad enough the 53 gotta deal w/ that, on top of panning northward on top of it.... Those buses need (and I don't use that term often when I talk about bus routes) to remain right where they are....

The 38 breakup plan here, ok....

- your Q88 I like... you could even truncate it on the eastern end & have it serve oakland gdns/230 st (like the old 75), instead of it swinging all the way down to LIRR QV like it currently does.... QV bound Q88's have a tendency to almost empty out @ springfield (for the 27) anyway...

-

Q54: It would cut through Glendale The LTD

Q33: It would go to Woodside First then Down the Q18 to Maspeth. IMO it might help a bit with access to LGA, and 74 street would be where you change buses from Q33 to Q18 and Vice Versa

Q18/Q47: The only real time I see 5-6 people on a Bus to LGA coming from Glendale and Vice-Versa is Rush Hours

Many People get off at Roosevelt Avenue and then another group of people come on in. Uusally the people that stay Past 74 street get on 1-2 stops before 74 street and vice versa. The Q47 would operate as it's current shape rush hours, other times, people would have to use the Q18,which wouldn't affect people since they can either get a paper transfer or Just take the Q18, since many people get off at Jackson Heights. The Current Q18 riders have options to Transfer to the Q33 to Maspeth at 74 street as well or at 69 street and Garfield Avenue. The Q33 would connect to the 58/59, which many people take, which might increase boost to LGA Airport and the Q33 overall. If the Q33 current operated on 80 street, It probably would,ve gone much better. This route would only be extended to Maspeth, not Manhattan. But, it might boost ridership up on the Q18.

Q11/Q21: Then might as well come from Corona and replace Q38

Q88: I like the idea of a connector from Middle Village to Springfield Garderns. Might be an hour and 15 minutes in length with the truncatation and the extention. Some 75 service would be restored. The MTA should've truncated the 88 years ago. With It's new Middle Village Proposal Terminal The Route can deadhead from Fresh Pond Depot and QV, Maybe 50/50, and send the Q58 to Casey Stengel. Not a bad idea though with the 88. Plus, it would help me out as the stinken 38 would not show up 70 minutes late each time

Q67: I never said that the Q67 would run from the (M) Station to 63 Drive. I said that It would run regular routing until 69 street and Juniper Valley, Then use the 38 routing meanwhile bypassing the station. In that case then, Q67 could loop Middle Village sort of

Exactly.... You have the Q67 going to Rego Park.... That is what I'm disagreeing with.

I didn't even bring up the (M) in that last post.....

The Q38 to me was always a weird route that basically went in a circle. Its terminals is only 3-4 blocks from each other and the Q88 could possibly be a good extention.

I think the Q25 needs at Saturday LTD service. For three weeks in a row on Saturday it was packed 1 after another.

And weekday LTD times should be extended like the NYCT ones. 6:30-9:30 and 3:00-8:00 and Saturdays can be from 7:30-5:00pm.

ok so I took a break then this comes o well here it goes. One interborough streamline Q50 let northbound trips go nonstop between 14th ave in queens and country club rd then southbound non stop between pelham bay (6) and it's last bronx stop let people on Bruckner use the BX5 then add a stop to link with Q44 for flushing where they share a stop rather than walk to Q44. after streamlining via college pt blvd then 108th absorbs Q38 penelope segment ends at middle village. Q38 eliot split retains Q38 designation. Timed for transfers to Q53 and 52. BM5 becomes open door in queens to allow additional travel opportunities to brooklyn from queens.

Here we go:

Q88 try extending it to cambria heights then truncate all Q27 locals at jamacia ave. Let Q88 have rush hour express LTD service to rego park.

reroute Q59 to metropolitan via morgan then via regular route eliminate union ave part.

Maspeth/ Glendale

-Q33 extention

-Q47 reduction

-Q18 extention and realignment

-Q54 Limited Stop service

-Q18/Q47 Extention to Myrtle Avenue

Q33 Extention

Glendale

Q54 Limited Stop Service

Proposed Stops

Jamaica 170 Street

JamaicaAvenue & Queens Blvd

Metropolitan Avenue & Lefferts Blvd

Metropolitan Avenue & Park Lane South

Metropolitan Avenue & 71 Avenue

Metropolitan Avenue& Woodhaven Blvd

Metropolitan Avenue & 80 Street

Metropolitan Avenue & 73 street

Metropolitan Avenue (M) Train Station

Metropolitan Avenue & Fresh Pond Road

Metropolitan Avenue & Flushing Avenue

Metropolitan Avenue & Grand Street

Grand Street & Union Avenue

Willamsburg Bridge Plaza

Q47 Reduction.

The Q47 would be reduced to operate to Glendale Rush Hours only during weekdays. The Q18 would be realigned to served Q47 areas

Around 200 or less riders would be affected of this service change

Q18 Extention and realignment

The Q18 would be realigned and extended to Glendale via the Q47 route Middays, nights, and weekends

Q18/Q47 extention to Myrtle Avenue

Other Proposals

The Q38 would be eliminated, to ensure more reliable service on each of the Corridors. The following bus routes would operate along the 38 route

Q88

Under this proposal, the Q88 would be extended via the Q38 route along Eliot Avenue and Metropolitan Avenue to 69 street and Juniper Valley Road.

Q67

Under this proposal, the Q67 would turn left onto Juniper Valley Road and no longer provide a connection to the (M) Train. Riders are encouraged to take the Q38 This bus would be extended on the Q38 route until 110 street & 62 Drive

Q52

Under this proposal, the Q52 would start at the current Q38 terminal in Corona and operate to Woodhaven Blvd. Riders for sections along Ekiot Avenue are encouraged to take the Q88 AT Hoffman Drive. For Service along Penelope, and 62 Dr/63 Rd or 63 Drive, customers are encouraged to get off at Woodhaven Blvd and 63 Drive/Penelope Avenue and take either a LIC or Forest Hills bound Q67

How would the Q18 go to 74th st via roosevelt then follow Q47 routing if Q47 (to Glendale) takes roosevelt to 69th st? There has to be another way the Q18 can get to 74th instead of roosevelt.

Guest MTA Bus

They should make a M60X that runs from Laguardia Airport to 125th St

Stops at:

Astoria Blvd (N)

Lexington Av (4)(5)(6)

Park Av Metro North

St. Nicholas Av (A)(B)(C)(D)

then all stops to 106th St

How would the Q18 go to 74th st via roosevelt then follow Q47 routing if Q47 (to Glendale) takes roosevelt to 69th st? There has to be another way the Q18 can get to 74th instead of roosevelt.

The Q18 would take 58th St, Roosevelt AV, 75th St, Woodside Av, then 69th St, then Q47 route to Glendale.

Of course not! Otherwise, no one would make such a bad proposal! I've already explained this, there is NO POINT in sending more buses to Jackson Heights for the sheer fact that the small area all those buses terminate/go through IS CONGESTED ENOUGH! Plus the Q53 picks up one load at the Roosevelt Avenue Terminal, then a 2nd load at the mall...what good would it do sending those two routes there? Absolutely no good!

I swear, I think some folks make proposals like that for the sake of attention/getting their post count boosted.....

M116 go to astoria or LGA to help M60?? send some M60s every other to nonstop between astoria (N) and LGA? the rest too lazy to even bother

ok so I took a break then this comes o well here it goes. One interborough streamline Q50 let northbound trips go nonstop between 14th ave in queens and country club rd then southbound non stop between pelham bay (6) and it's last bronx stop let people on Bruckner use the BX5 then add a stop to link with Q44 for flushing where they share a stop rather than walk to Q44. after streamlining via college pt blvd then 108th absorbs Q38 penelope segment ends at middle village. Q38 eliot split retains Q38 designation. Timed for transfers to Q53 and 52. BM5 becomes open door in queens to allow additional travel opportunities to brooklyn from queens.

Here we go:

Q88 try extending it to cambria heights then truncate all Q27 locals at jamacia ave. Let Q88 have rush hour express LTD service to rego park.

reroute Q59 to metropolitan via morgan then via regular route eliminate union ave part.

M60/Q50 : We are not Nassau Inter-County Express or NJ Transit, get that through your head, that WON'T fly with the residents that use those routes. You forget that people in Queens use the M60 to get to the airport and/or make connections with other routes too huh....

As for the Q50, there is nothing to STREAMLINE when the Q50 DOESN'T INTERLINE with any other route other than the Bx23....with the exception of the AM trips.

Here is a lesson for you, when you streamline a route or routes, it involves one or more routes that correspond with each other and the depots they come out of. Like for example, the M1, M2 & M3 routes are streamlined because they run close together, they are all out of Manhattanville Depot and they all interline with each other. The Q50 for the majority only interlines with the Bx23 and in the AM (since College Point does the AM trips as well), interlines with the Q19, Q66 or Q25. Thats what you call streamlining, now stop using that word in a false manner.

M116 : That's pointless, folks would still have to transfer for the M60! Pointless!

Q88 : That's a little pointless to an extent since as explained, the Q88 emptys out along Springfield Blvd heading to QV LIRR, sending it to Cambria Heights, you'd be sending empty buses over there. Just keep the two lines the way they are. The Q88 doesn't need Limited service either and this is coming from someone who rides the route every once in a while.

Edited by Cait Sith

Here we go:

What is the point with the Q50 idea? No one will ride the bus if it streamlines THAT long. Your just creating an unnecessary long route, that will make regular Q50 riders use transfers to different buses due to the streamlining. Leave Q27/Q88 as it is, its fine, and I'm not sure if the 88 needs limited service.

M116 go to astoria or LGA to help M60?? send some M60s every other to nonstop between astoria (N) and LGA? the rest too lazy to even bother

No wouldn't work. Many people along Astoria Blvd between LGA and 31 Street rely on M60 to get to the N and it allows them to have another option other than the horribly slow Q19 bus (which is sometimes packed in the AM rush as well, i've been going to school in the area for almost 3 years so i know this...). The M116 is one of two buses that go near East River Plaza as well, no need to reroute it. The M60 isn't as bad as it seems actually, even though it gets crowded during the rush, its actually pretty frequent. I've seen 4 buses in 10 minutes, although sometimes buses will come in twos and threes with a considerable amt. of passengers.

I have a couple of ideas:

Q3: Limited Stop Service from JFK to 165 Street Terminal.

Q111: Trips to Cedarhurst Eliminated, Trips to LIRR Rosedale via Francis Lewis Blvd.

Q114: Jamaica LIRR to Far Rockaway Mott Avenue Station via Rockaway Blvd and Sutphin Blvd.

Q111: Trips to Cedarhurst Eliminated, Trips to LIRR Rosedale via Francis Lewis Blvd.

Q114: Jamaica LIRR to Far Rockaway Mott Avenue Station via Rockaway Blvd and Sutphin Blvd.

Q3: Drivers on that route seem to purposely lag, doubt it would make a difference.

Q111: No, not needed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Q114: Just a combo of the Q6 & Q113. Just take one of the two. Not necessary.

I was wondering if artic could handle U-turn at Fort Totten Park?

With the way those park goers & ft totten visitors go flying out of that parking lot over there, I don't think sending artics to Ft. Totten would be wise.....

Why would an artic even be in that area anyway....

Q3- doesn't have the ridership to warrant LTD service...

Q111- Don't know how well used the Cedarhurst trips are.... But I always felt that part of Francis Lewis the x63 uses should have some local service.... then again, with as bogged w/ traffic that small street tends to get at times, maybe not....

Q114- The Q6 got its much needed LTD service about 2 years ago.... that's all that was needed for that corridor...

Also, No point in the MTA creating another Q113 type route, just for the sole purpose of giving Sutphin blvd riders a 1-seat ride to Far Rockaway.... Not fin to create anymore routes w/ empty mileage/long nonstop portions.... And if you're thinking it would be a quicker ride to Jamaica from Far Rockaway, may as well scratch that... on average, traffic on Sutphin is more congested than that of traffic on Guy R Brewer.....

Guest MTA Bus

A Q11 limited that would run from Woodhaven Blvd/Queens Blvd to Hamilton Beach.

- Would make all limited stops from Queens Blvd to 157th Avenue, then turns onto 157th Av back to Q11 route. Then local stops to Hamiliton Beach. Runs weekdays only

Edited by MTA Bus

A Q11 limited that would run from Woodhaven Blvd/Queens Blvd to Hamilton Beach.

- Would make all limited stops from Queens Blvd to 157th Avenue, then turns onto 157th Av back to Q11 route. Then local stops to Hamiliton Beach. Runs weekdays only

That's 3 limiteds going down Woodhaven Blvd, not necessary.

my M60 idea was to improve reliability to reduce bunching instead of 2 M60s at once on astoria blvd you have 1 M60 on astoria blvd and another going express giving manhattan ppl a faster trip. M116 was meant to replace M60 on astoria blvd to offset reducing astoria blvd service. The Q50 idea is offset by Bx5 to Q44 as I observed many ppl transfer to Q44 anyway. Plus most Q50 riders go from pelham bay and coop direct to queens this gives em a faster ride. Plus Bx5 & Q44 are more frequent those few on bruckner will simply use bx5 to Q44 New riders may materialize going to where Q38 formally would go turning a 3 seat or 2 seat into a 1 seat ride potentially allowing MTA to do more with less. There is nothing wrong with a little nonstop service here and there it could end up benifitting more ppl than it would hurt. While cutting travel times down by HUGE margins.