The Orion 7 / NF Hybrid Recall

Cait Sith

Even though this was known for some time now....this is a BAE issue.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):

ORION / ORION VII LI-ION ESS 2006

ORION / ORION VII LI-ION HYBRID 2008-2011

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 11V523000

Summary:

DAIMLER BUSES IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 THROUGH 2011 ORION VII LI-ION HYBRID TRANSIT BUSES MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 2008 THROUGH AUGUST 2011 AND MODEL YEAR 2006 ORION VII LI-ION ESS TRANSIT BUSES MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 2006 THROUGH MAY 2007, CONTAINS BAE SYSTEMS (BAE) LITHIUM ION ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM (ESS). OVER TIME, PARTICULATE DEBRIS CAN ACCUMULATE IN THE HYBRID SYSTEM'S LI-ION STORAGE SYSTEM (LI-ION ESS). ACCUMULATED DEBRIS IN CONJUNCTION WITH MOISTURE CAN BREACH THE ELECTRICAL ISOLATION OF THE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY PACK. A CONDUCTIVE PATH CAN BE CREATED IF THE ELECTRICAL ISOLATION IS BREACHED AT BOTH ENDS OF THE BATTERY.

Consequence:

THIS CAN RESULT IN THE UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE OF THE BATTERY'S STORED ENERGY, CREATING A RISK OF SMOKE, MELTING AND CHARRING, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A FIRE.

Remedy:

ORION WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND THE REPAIRS WILL BE PERFORMED BY BAE SYSTEMS FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN NOVEMBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DAIMLER BUSES NORTH AMERICA AT 1-905-403-1111.

Notes:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

http://www-odi.nhtsa...htype=DrillDown

wait... arent some buses from 3960 and up @ MHV? if so thats why they have RTS....

They only have seven (3960-3964 & 4429 & 4430), so that is definitely not the reason.

The reason they have RTS loaners is because the 63-6400s is going in for their overhaul/upgrades.

Now this only applies to 3960 and upwards, correct?

I think they've been tackling the issue already out here

The recall applies to all lithium ion powered buses, and a few of the others. Some of the NG's without, and some of the OG's are included in the recall as well. It's an issue BAE is taking care if. One by one, each of the affected buses will be shipped to Oriskany where BAE will replace the defective part. When one goes up, one comes back.

The non li-ion buses that are included are not in the official NHTSA recall, but were included by BAE Systems.

They only have seven (3960-3964 & 4429 & 4430), so that is definitely not the reason.

The reason they have RTS loaners is because the 63-6400s is going in for their overhaul/upgrades.

Will the upgrades include new signage for these buses??? (i.e. orange LED signage instead of the hard to read green LED signage)?

Lol, whoever is making this is crazy... MCI, NABI, and now Orion? Dang... what will come next... NovaBus? New Flyer? :o

Recalls are not that unusual. Think about how many cars get recalled, even years after they are no longer produced.

THis isn't like they are saying the buses are pieces of junk- they have one or two minor parts that need to be replaced. It is not so strange that out of thousands of components, 1 or 2 are faulty and need to be replaced, just like any vehicle can have a faulty/broken part that gets replaced by your mechanic.

Nothing like the good OLD RTS

So TRUE!!!

Them and the LFS. remember, the LFS was designed while Nova was building RTS buses.

I remember when MTABC first started getting O7 OGs. DAIMLER BUSES was constantly at BP working on bugs and glitches. And sure, every design has these problems in the beginning, but not as much as ive seen with this model.

As mentioned by Seven Eleven, New Flyer also has a recall on Xcelsiors, and no manufacturer has been immune. Recalls happen in the bus industry just as they do with cars.

Will the upgrades include new signage for these buses??? (i.e. orange LED signage instead of the hard to read green LED signage)?

Im sorry but this has got to be one stupid ass question. We are talking about a BAE manufacturer recall to make sure buses don't catch fire. What in the hell does that have to do with replacing Luminator destination signs??? Really??

Any word on which transit agency was unlucky enough to discover this issue? Or did the company find it out on their own?

TTC was the first agency to report the problem. Then a follow up was done with MTA. After that, the recall went nationwide.

That is incorrect. Seattle has NEVER had any issues with its buses, nor have they reported any. The recall is nationwide, and I got wind of it last October just before it was made official. However, I do not post eqiptment recalls even though I get a regular report on them.

• 5 months later...

Update: I am being told the repairs are going smooth, and BAE has a handle on the situation. Buses contimue to be swapped out one for one as retrofits continue across North America.

I am not exactly sure where how many buses are left to be repaired in the MTA fleet, as they have the greatest amount of buses in the recall.

Archived