Will NYC ever have a light rail system?

tramrunner

If it's a low traffic area they can put the tracks right on the traffic lane streetcar style. Keep in mind that LRV's that (NJT) uses can get up to 35-40 mph and have really good acceleration & braking. There are so many different systems and car types they can use it's not even funny.

- Andy

Are you familiar with what Fordham Road, between Jerome Avenue and White Plains Road, is like, by any chance?

No offense intended, but if you had any idea what that street is like, you'd understand immediately why light rail isn't a viable option there.

Are you familiar with what Fordham Road, between Jerome Avenue and White Plains Road, is like, by any chance?

No offense intended, but if you had any idea what that street is like, you'd understand immediately why light rail isn't a viable option there.

Doesn't really matter if i've been there or etc. I've seen trolly tracks on some mind bendingly narrow one way roads in trenton. Probably about 12 feet from curb to curb. Given they have not run trolly cars on there in probably 30-40 years, but they did at one point and they only stopped because the trolly company went away.

To aide in the mental visualization of the width of these streets i did a google search to find some images.

I was actually on this street in a taxi in san juan. There was a traffic jam because of a protest against the building of a modern looking hotel in the old san juan district. Not my image.

OldTownNarrowStreet.JPG

This next one is much better because it shows how an overhead power system actually winds through narrow streets.

2454614717_2d761024b0.jpg?v=0

I don't claim to be an expert in civil engineering or street design, or claim to know all about NYC and its various streets, but i know if a bus can fit along it, a LRV will fit too. :P

- Andy

There already are four bus routes currently operating on the street in question, with just three available lanes of traffic in either direction (at certain points, only two). The third lane was recently designated as an SBS-only lane, and that's only contributing to the current bottlenecking problem all along Fordham Road. If it weren't so filled with traffic, hills, curves, and so many cross streets, it might work. But with all the commercial vehicles crossing it, and the existing bus routes (not to mention the heavy volume of pedestrians, since it's the middle of a large shopping strip), it's just not going to work.

Doesn't really matter if i've been there or etc. I've seen trolly tracks on some mind bendingly narrow one way roads in trenton. Probably about 12 feet from curb to curb. Given they have not run trolly cars on there in probably 30-40 years, but they did at one point and they only stopped because the trolly company went away.

To aide in the mental visualization of the width of these streets i did a google search to find some images.

I was actually on this street in a taxi in san juan. There was a traffic jam because of a protest against the building of a modern looking hotel in the old san juan district. Not my image.

OldTownNarrowStreet.JPG

This next one is much better because it shows how an overhead power system actually winds through narrow streets.

2454614717_2d761024b0.jpg?v=0

I don't claim to be an expert in civil engineering or street design, or claim to know all about NYC and its various streets, but i know if a bus can fit along it, a LRV will fit too. :P

- Andy

Also check this page out...

http://www.einbahn.org/trams-pl/katowice/kat-116.html

Those would work i think? For those familiar with the street in question, what do you think?

- Andy

Those are compact, yes, but they'd still require removing one of the existing lanes of traffic. If light rail were to be installed, you'd have to re-route at least two of the bus routes that currently operate on Fordham Road. It's possible, but it would be extremely difficult to manage.

Those are compact, yes, but they'd still require removing one of the existing lanes of traffic. If light rail were to be installed, you'd have to re-route at least two of the bus routes that currently operate on Fordham Road. It's possible, but it would be extremely difficult to manage.

Well if (MTA) wants to pay for diesel when it hits 7 dollars.... I just think, that with good planning, 50 mph LRV network would be really good especially to connect subway terminal stations in queens, brooklyn, and bronx. Ridership is going up due in part to fuel prices for automobiles. If we gave the people a way to not need their cars, plus have it be fast, not need fuel to run, and be the same cost as the subway, we'd be cooking with gas (so to speak).

- Andy

If it's a low traffic area they can put the tracks right on the traffic lane streetcar style. Keep in mind that LRV's that (NJT) uses can get up to 35-40 mph and have really good acceleration & braking. There are so many different systems and car types they can use it's not even funny.

- Andy

Hell, even much faster. You'll know when you ride HBLR north of 2nd Street in Hoboken, and then HBLR at its best south of Liberty State Park on the Bayonne branch.

Hell, even much faster. You'll know when you ride HBLR north of 2nd Street in Hoboken, and then HBLR at its best south of Liberty State Park on the Bayonne branch.

Yea, in some spots prolly 50 mph or so.

- Andy

55-60 MPH on the Bayonne branch to be more exact.

The time i went it was a lil bit slow, i guess i had a noob for a driver or signal stuff. I am going over my girlfriend's place next week, so i'll try to get photos.

- Andy

You could run the BX12 light rail route on an EL along pehlam parkway. And make it fly over the (2) and (4) line els and put those two stations within fare conrol of the subway. And the other stations could be open to anybody like commuter rail stations. Bascially a something slimar to the Airtrain El in queens but with stations. And its fleet would be maintained by 207th street yard(Since the current BX12 goes right near the yard anyway). The light rail's fleet can't be maintained by a bus depot due to it using rail cars. Just build an connection from the El stuture to the yard, and rebuild the shop to maintain LR equipment. And you wound'nt have even have to buy new LR equipment! If you wanna get crazy you can use those PCC's in red hook and throw them on the LR route. The newark subway used PCC's before it got its current LR euipment.

But i would pefer to buy new LR equipment though. And you don't have to worry about OW ethier. You can use river line type equipment...

first, let me hit the off-topic and tell that San Juan seems even more awesome then San Francisco. I love to look on the steep and inclined streets, since I've been in SF in 2002. In brooklyn there are some of them in Bay Ridge and in Sunset Park. Yet, I do NOT propose to build LRTs there.

However, I'd say that the trolleybus would be perfect there.

Dont know why, but a lot of cities with mountanous surfaces prefer to have trolleybuses. (I.e. SF, Switzerland, and many more) electric engines are more efficient in such cases.

Dont worry, the ENY LRT will rich eastern Queens on one of the days.

If we understand the notion of teamwork in our project, ... my job is to pla in in Brooklyn. Someone else's job is to plan it in Eastern Queens.

And where will the construction statrt, we will decide on who is the founder.

I am sure that Eastern Queens need a lot of improvements. It is so forgotten by subway, that even doest look like a part of NYC. Should it be so? NO.

You could run the BX12 light rail route on an EL along pehlam parkway. And make it fly over the (2) and (4) line els and put those two stations within fare conrol of the subway. And the other stations could be open to anybody like commuter rail stations. Bascially a something slimar to the Airtrain El in queens but with stations. And its fleet would be maintained by 207th street yard(Since the current BX12 goes right near the yard anyway). The light rail's fleet can't be maintained by a bus depot due to it using rail cars. Just build an connection from the El stuture to the yard, and rebuild the shop to maintain LR equipment. And you wound'nt have even have to buy new LR equipment! If you wanna get crazy you can use those PCC's in red hook and throw them on the LR route. The newark subway used PCC's before it got its current LR euipment.

But i would pefer to buy new LR equipment though. And you don't have to worry about OW ethier. You can use river line type equipment...

207th St. bridge is only two lanes if I recall and it empties out under the (1) line as it curves going south to Dyckman St. This poses an issue as this intersection is always congested so you can't do grade level or suspended.

There are several choke points along the route, Valentine Av. being the biggest offender. All turns would have to be eliminated here.

Right now shoppers who are used to hailing cabs at the curbs are wondering why the cabs won't pick them up (Strict enforcement of Bus lane), so right now the side streets are getting congested with cab pickups which creates gridlock along Fordham from Jerome Av. to Washington Av.

I honestly don't know of any route in the Bronx that would work.

Archived