Favorite And Least Favorite New Local Bus Models.

B36 Via Ave U

My least fav is the O7 3G, because it reminds me too much of the 2G, which I hate.

Agreed, i cant stand the seating in the 3G's also, and Im running into them more and more on the B3 and the B36.

My favorite is probably the XD40's, especially the low 484X's, great engines on those, rode 4840 yesterday on the B36.

I guess if I had to pick, I would pick the LFSA's. But those C40's are god awful. Makes me glad I don't live near a CNG route.

Yea, i cant stand them, i got stuck with 263 on the B68 yesterday, had just missed an O7 CNG, pretty pissed i wound up with that, im glad they are sooo rare on the B4, atleast for me.

Question, whats so good about the 2011 New Flyer C40LF'S?

Eco Friendly, Faster, cost less to maintain (at least for now).

MY least favorite is the 3G. If it was not for that ZF, I would've said the ZF LFS's

This is one good topic!

these new fleets have a good number of similarities(all LFs, one artic, 2 are 3rd Gen designs) as well as differences(CNG/Diesel/Hybrid)

C40LFs-my second overall LF. New Flyer has been in the LF game for years now. They have designed and built a solid bus that even seems to have a 'roomier' interior than the others. The CNG model's TM isnt as 'jerky' as say, Orion's VII. And these still have a nice look with the old style front.

XD40-I havent rode on one yet. But its a New Flyer. SO i call it a sexy lookin coach and assume its a future road champ.

Orion VII 3G-I consider these the second worst only to the Designline lemons we had. The interior still feels crampmed especially up front. THe Hybrid models however do jump like jackrabbits and stop on a dime. But their 1st Gen cousins were indeed lemons IMO. One would think that a 3rd Gen design would be improved upon more, especially the interior arraingment, and not just 'under the hood'

These are my least favorite. And if the 3G CNGs are anything like the CNG NGs, whiplash central when changing gears.

NovaBus LFS/A- The NB LFS is another 3rd Gen design. ANd the differences can be seen throughout all three. In the 90s, 3 were tested. I rode one out of the old Hudson Pier Depot. The front wheelwells were to close together making W/C's have difficulty getting thru. Its engine layout was funky-like the Orion VIs and was 100% low floor. a nightmare with no T-drive. the 2nd Gen changed the exterior look a tad(more on the rear) and a few small changes under the hood. it was the current 3rd Gen that made this bus my favorite! A standard T-drive, extra seating compared to the other LF models, the return of the rear window! Its a solid bus that rides smooth. Its Artic model is one i ride on the most (M14A/D). I dont feel cramped in one, and unlike the Orions, i can still see out the front when sitting in the front section. I also like its lower profile. Rooftop equipment without greatly increasing the overall height of the bus.

Theres my quick little rundown. The verdict:

Favorite-NovaBus!

Least favorite-Orion

I guess I am in the minority here, but I love the Orion 3G's. The ride is smooth on the Q46 and the seating arrangement is good. I hate the seating arrangement and doors on the LFS's. And I like the retro look of the C40's, but the interior is so-so.

This is one good topic!

these new fleets have a good number of similarities(all LFs, one artic, 2 are 3rd Gen designs) as well as differences(CNG/Diesel/Hybrid)

C40LFs-my second overall LF. New Flyer has been in the LF game for years now. They have designed and built a solid bus that even seems to have a 'roomier' interior than the others. The CNG model's TM isnt as 'jerky' as say, Orion's VII. And these still have a nice look with the old style front.

XD40-I havent rode on one yet. But its a New Flyer. SO i call it a sexy lookin coach and assume its a future road champ.

Orion VII 3G-I consider these the second worst only to the Designline lemons we had. The interior still feels crampmed especially up front. THe Hybrid models however do jump like jackrabbits and stop on a dime. But their 1st Gen cousins were indeed lemons IMO. One would think that a 3rd Gen design would be improved upon more, especially the interior arraingment, and not just 'under the hood'

These are my least favorite. And if the 3G CNGs are anything like the CNG NGs, whiplash central when changing gears.

NovaBus LFS/A- The NB LFS is another 3rd Gen design. ANd the differences can be seen throughout all three. In the 90s, 3 were tested. I rode one out of the old Hudson Pier Depot. The front wheelwells were to close together making W/C's have difficulty getting thru. Its engine layout was funky-like the Orion VIs and was 100% low floor. a nightmare with no T-drive. the 2nd Gen changed the exterior look a tad(more on the rear) and a few small changes under the hood. it was the current 3rd Gen that made this bus my favorite! A standard T-drive, extra seating compared to the other LF models, the return of the rear window! Its a solid bus that rides smooth. Its Artic model is one i ride on the most (M14A/D). I dont feel cramped in one, and unlike the Orions, i can still see out the front when sitting in the front section. I also like its lower profile. Rooftop equipment without greatly increasing the overall height of the bus.

Theres my quick little rundown. The verdict:

Favorite-NovaBus!

Least favorite-Orion

Couldn't have really said it better the Novabus is by far the best, but when u finally ride on a XD40, u will love it, those are some great buses let me tell u, and ditto on the Orion.

The 1200's aren't so bad, I actually love the fact that you can hear the BOV go off on them when releasing boost pressure.

I love that as well but the tranny on the 1200s kills me. Jerkiest bus in the world when it's in traffic.

Turns out you can actually hear the BOV on the 5800s as well, little more quietly though.

New Flyer XD40: Some of them sound like the L10G V from LIB (Now Retired). Ironically I actually hated those things. Out of the BT&E test local bus fleet it's the only one to have the Allison B400R tranny.

NovaBus LFSA: Very stable, Unique. Handles well on the roads.

Dislikes:

Orion VII 3G: They're just boring in terms of engine sound. Plus it only a small improved blueprint design of it's older design the NG.

Neutral:

NovaBus LFS: If this was asked earlier then the LFS would have been on the likes list for me. The XD40 has taken that spot. I dislike the buses jerkyness (8015-8089) & is too small for heavy duty service IMO (ex. Rush Hour). However as all NovaBuses do it is durable & is withstanding against the harsh roads it goes through.

New Flyer XD40: Some of them sound like the L10G V from LIB (Now Retired). Ironically I actually hated those things. Out of the BT&E test local bus fleet it's the only one to have the Allison B400R tranny.

NovaBus LFSA: Very stable, Unique. Handles well on the roads.

Dislikes:

Orion VII 3G: They're just boring in terms of engine sound. Plus it only a small improved blueprint design of it's older design the NG.

Neutral:

NovaBus LFS: If this was asked earlier then the LFS would have been on the likes list for me. The XD40 has taken that spot. I dislike the buses jerkyness (8015-8089) & is too small for heavy duty service IMO (ex. Rush Hour). However as all NovaBuses do it is durable & is withstanding against the harsh roads it goes through.

Nova made the RTS, and designed the LFS while building it, so that contributes. Also, Volvo (which owns Nova & Prevost) has been credited with making good vehicles, so that might explain it.

Least favorite would be the Prevost X3-45

Reasons:

• The seats are to close to the ground.
  • Turning radius is way to wide.
  • An Unnecessary amount of fabric that is probably going to look bad in a few years.
  • Primitive "stop requested" sign.

Favorite new bus model would be the Orion VII Third Generation.

• Fast and reliable.
  • Very good seating arrangement
  • The bus sounds great
  • Love the interior
  • HVAC system is solid

If I have to choose my favorite bus, then I would choose the New Flyer XD40s with its comfortable seats, spacious, more seats on the high floor section than the C40LF, long windows, Thermo King HVAC, and better passenger comfort! Who wouldn't like that bus?

The bus also has less vibrations on the low floor section than any other buses like the C40LF! I've heard that many people really enjoyed those buses, especially on the B64!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have to choose my least favorite bus, then I would choose the Orion 7 3G EPA '10 because of its jerky ride, the seats, and the engine! Yet these buses are stylish in the interior in my opinion, but the engine sounds so abnormal and kind of boring! The ZF transmission is alright, but it's not really as great as the Allison transmission!

Anyone notice that the steps of the 3G to the high floor section is a little bit higher than the rest except the Orion 7 NG HEV? It's really bad for little kids who wants or needs to get into the high floor section. And I also dislike that the interior is like almost all gray colored!

Question, whats so good about the 2011 New Flyer C40LF'S?

Good for the economy, updated version of the old C40LF, more spacious like the 3G, better seating, and quieter engine! It's best if they make a C40LFR, then that would have been even better! I used to like them, but they look so old fashioned, so identical to the old C40LF that gets me so tiring. I do like CNG buses, yet they have better sounding to the bus than the diesels in my opinion!

Yea, i cant stand them, i got stuck with 263 on the B68 yesterday, had just missed an O7 CNG, pretty pissed i wound up with that, im glad they are sooo rare on the B4, atleast for me.

Whats wrong with C40LF I think the new styles are better than the old styles.

Archived