N55 Extended To Amityville RR

I noticed yesterday on the way back from Sunrise Mall that they put a n55 sticker up on the bus stop sign at the corner of County Line & Loudon. I thought really they're extending the n55 to Amityville RR?

Did the N55 always take Washington to get to get to Sunrise while the N54 took Broadway like it does now? Or is this new?

I'm a little surprised to see the n55 get extended to the Amityville RR from Sunrise Mall, what is the reason for this? I guess to let people connect to SCT buses and the LIRR?

Hmm, yea that one surprised me, now Amityville RR gets service every 30 minutes instead of every 60 minutes.

I wonder if this is a chess game? Could NICE be setting up a possible move to end the n19 at the Sunrise Mall or route it to the Amityville RR to end it there?

I hear you, it really wouldn't be out of the way to route the n19 to the Amityville RR, I would have thought that would happen and the n54 be ended at the Sunrise Mall, I never expected the the n55 to be extended to Amityville. lol

I also think the S1 and the n19 should connect. I personally feel that the S1 should be extended from the RR to Merrick Rd.

I used to ride the S1 everyday for a little while last year, that bus got very full from people coming from the train. In fact I remember the B/O would wait for the train coming in from Babylon. The people who transferred from the train to S1 all knew each other and were talking about how much money they waist taking the train. They wondered if they could get the N19 and transfer to the S1, the B/O said she took the transfer but "had no idea" where they got off the 19 and transferred to S1. They weren't very interested in doing it when I told them there only option was getting off at Broadway, Ketcham, (or the Street in between the two) and take a 15 to 20 minute walk to the S1 (depending on how fast they walked).

You could understand why the (MTA) kept it that way, they are getting the LIRR fare, why would they want them to pay a bus fare that they can transfer to S1?

I think NICE should capitalize on this, not everyone is taking the LIRR to get to the City many are taking it somewhere to get a bus, and don't want to pay the extra money for the LIRR. It adds up!

During the hours when the bus goes to the mall, it would be easy to route it to the Amityville RR on the way back to Merrick Rd from the mall. During hours when the bus doesn't go to the mall (early morning like these people would) is to send the bus straight down Ketcham around the RR back up Ketcham and back onto Merrick Rd. You could take Broadway, but it would take longer.

I noticed yesterday on the way back from Sunrise Mall that they put a n55 sticker up on the bus stop sign at the corner of County Line & Loudon. I thought really they're extending the n55 to Amityville RR?

Did the N55 always take Washington to get to get to Sunrise while the N54 took Broadway like it does now? Or is this new?

When Jerusalem Avenue Bus operated the line before Sunrise Mall was built, the two Hempstead-Seaford routes terminated at Verity Plaza parking lot, next to a strip mall at Washington Avenue and Merrick Road. After Sunrise Mall was built, the northern route was extended to Amityville. The southern route continued to operate to Seaford. Mid-Island Transit operated the franchise on Broadway so Jerusalem Avenue couldn't operate on Broadway. With the private bus operators long gone and (mostly forgotten), NICE can operate the buses wherever they want in the county.

I used to ride the S1 everyday for a little while last year, that bus got very full from people coming from the train. In fact I remember the B/O would wait for the train coming in from Babylon. The people who transferred from the train to S1 all knew each other and were talking about how much money they waist taking the train. They wondered if they could get the N19 and transfer to the S1, the B/O said she took the transfer but "had no idea" where they got off the 19 and transferred to S1. They weren't very interested in doing it when I told them there only option was getting off at Broadway, Ketcham, (or the Street in between the two) and take a 15 to 20 minute walk to the S1 (depending on how fast they walked).

You could understand why the (MTA) kept it that way, they are getting the LIRR fare, why would they want them to pay a bus fare that they can transfer to S1?

I think NICE should capitalize on this, not everyone is taking the LIRR to get to the City many are taking it somewhere to get a bus, and don't want to pay the extra money for the LIRR. It adds up!

During the hours when the bus goes to the mall, it would be easy to route it to the Amityville RR on the way back to Merrick Rd from the mall. During hours when the bus doesn't go to the mall (early morning like these people would) is to send the bus straight down Ketcham around the RR back up Ketcham and back onto Merrick Rd. You could take Broadway, but it would take longer.

Couldn't they take the S20 if they were coming from Babylon, though?

I agree that the S1 should connect to the N19. They should either send it to Sunrise Mall or to Merrick Road.

I think on the times the N19 bus doesn't go to the mall, it should use County LIne Road and Broadway, or just County Line Road. It's easier to get a bus routed down a main street than a residential street like Ketcham.

How come the S1 doesn't go to the mall?

the train from babylon to amityville is just as cheap the bus at $2.25 look it up on mta's website the train for local trips really isn't that expensive at all

It's $2.75 and you don't get any sort of transfer to the S1. The MTA/NICE buses give you a free transfer I believe, and SCT buses give you a transfer for $0.25.

Couldn't they take the S20 if they were coming from Babylon, though?

Maybe the S20 wasn't an option at that time in the morning? There was a good group I think on the 6am bus out of the Amityville RR.

the train from babylon to amityville is just as cheap the bus at $2.25 look it up on mta's website the train for local trips really isn't that expensive at all

I know exactly how much it is, I was going to break it down but assumed everyone knew how much it was.

$2.75 x twice daily or $25.50 for a weekly ticket or $82 for a monthly ticket! Not that much money!?! That's $982 a year wasted! If I were those people I'd rather save that money too. Airfare and a hotel room in Vegas for a weekend or the train fare? Which would you choose?

Maybe the S20 wasn't an option at that time in the morning? There was a good group I think on the 6am bus out of the Amityville RR.

I know exactly how much it is, I was going to break it down but assumed everyone knew how much it was.

$2.75 x twice daily or $25.50 for a weekly ticket or $82 for a monthly ticket! Not that much money!?! That's $982 a year wasted! If I were those people I'd rather save that money too. Airfare and a hotel room in Vegas for a weekend or the train fare? Which would you choose?

But what is the $982 being compared? The SCT fare is going up to $2.00 effective May 1. There are no weekly or monthly passes so the comparison is:

LIRR: $82/month * 11 months = $902

SCT: $2*2 trips/day * 5 days/week *48 weeks = $960.

The difference is $58. (I subtracted paid holidays and vacation from a year to come up with 11 months.)

But what is the $982 being compared? The SCT fare is going up to $2.00 effective May 1. There are no weekly or monthly passes so the comparison is:

LIRR: $82/month * 11 months = $902

SCT: $2*2 trips/day * 5 days/week *48 weeks = $960.

The difference is $58. (I subtracted paid holidays and vacation from a year to come up with 11 months.)

Except that if they have to transfer, they're not paying the full $2. They're only paying the $0.25 transfer fee. So it becomes $0.50 per day * 5 days * 48 weeks, which is $120, which is a big difference from $902 or $960.

Except that if they have to transfer, they're not paying the full $2. They're only paying the $0.25 transfer fee. So it becomes $0.50 per day * 5 days * 48 weeks, which is $120, which is a big difference from $902 or $960.

What exactly are we comparing? I thought the discussion was Bablyon-Amityville on the LIRR vs. SCT. I read S20 bus in the thread.

What exactly are we comparing? I thought the discussion was Bablyon-Amityville on the LIRR vs. SCT. I read S20 bus in the thread.

We're comparing 3(?) things round trip:

Babylon-Amityville on the LIRR($2.75 each way) and the S1 bus ($1.50 each way) ($8.50 round trip)

vs.

S20 with a transfer to the S1: ($ 3.50 round trip)

vs.

N19 with a transfer to the S1:( $2.25 NICE to SCT, $1.75, STC to NICE; $4 round trip)

vs.

(?) Some LIRR riders are probably coming from Nassau as well and could probably take the bus instead of the LIRR.

Additional Info:

Babylon-Amitiyville LIRR Monthly: $82; Weekly: $25.50

Monthly Metrocard: $104; weekly $29

NOTE: Some of the people already noted transfering to the S1 from the N19 may be coming from Nassau County, and may have an unlimited Metrocard.

When you dip your metrocard (or pay cash) on a Nassau bus, all you have to do is ask for a bus transfer and give it to the SCT B/O.

When you ride a Suffolk bus you have to pay an extra 25 cents for a transfer, to a Suffolk or Nassau bus, but if you have an unlimited metrocard it does not matter if you're transferring to a Nassau Bus.

We're comparing 3(?) things round trip:

Babylon-Amityville on the LIRR($2.75 each way) and the S1 bus ($1.50 each way) ($8.50 round trip)

vs.

S20 with a transfer to the S1: ($ 3.50 round trip)

vs.

N19 with a transfer to the S1:( $2.25 NICE to SCT, $1.75, STC to NICE; $4 round trip)

vs.

(?) Some LIRR riders are probably coming from Nassau as well and could probably take the bus instead of the LIRR.

You really need a scorecard to keep track of the threads - - and an abacus to keep track of the math.

If people coming in from Bablyon have to take the train in the early AM (and the S20 is not an option at that time for whatever reason) taking the LIRR is extra whether they pay it monthly, weekly, or daily. If they could easily transfer from the N19 in the morning they wouldn't have to pay for the extra LIRR fare and save at least $9xx a year assuming they commute 5 days a week.

If people coming in from Bablyon have to take the train in the early AM (and the S20 is not an option at that time for whatever reason) taking the LIRR is extra whether they pay it monthly, weekly, or daily. If they could easily transfer from the N19 in the morning they wouldn't have to pay for the extra LIRR fare and save at least $9xx a year assuming they commute 5 days a week.

This discussion doesn't take travel time into account. only $$$.

Well the people on the bus were talking about saving money. IF the n19 did stop at the Amityville RR u'd only be talking about an extra 10 min vs the train.

Most times saving time OR money is a trade off.

This raises an even BIGGER question: Why is NICE operating in Suffolk County? I'll bet Suffolk isn't covering any of the operating loss. I can understand operating to Walt Whitman and Sunrise Mall because of a shopping center. Why should the N70 go to Newsday? Why should the N72 go to Bablyon RR? Why should NICE operate between Bablyon and Freeport? Just because Utility Lines operated Patchogue-Freeport doesn't mean NICE has to operate outside the county.

With very few exceptions, MTA bus destinations stay inside city limits. The only exception I can think of is Q5 to Green Acres. (Q113 passes through Nassau ONLY to get to Far Rockaway.)

To be fair Suffolk Transit operates in Nassau...

I took a look at Suffolk County Transit's system map. I didn't realize Sunrise Mall is in Nassau. According to the map, there is only ONE SCT route that operates into Nassau, S20 to Sunrise Mall. There is an economic argument to operate a route to a shopping center.

I thought of an idea:

-Discontinue the N55 east of Sunrise Mall.

-Discontinue the N70 off peak north of SUNY Farmingdale

-Reroute the N19 east of Sunrise Mall via Amityville, then a simplified version of the S20 route (Oak St->Park Av->Montauk Hwy->Deer Park Av->Babylon)

-Discontinue the N19 east of Amityille during the times that the S20 runs, force transfer. Babylon trips remaining:

2 eastbound AM weekday

3 westbound AM weekday

3 weekday PM trips in each direction

3 Saturday AM trips in each direction

3 Saturday PM trips in each direction

All Sunday service

If riders complain about the S20 headways, that's SCT's responsibility. Local trips Sunrise Mall-Babylon are not LIB's responsibility.

Archived