N55 Extended To Amityville RR

I thought of an idea:

-Discontinue the N55 east of Sunrise Mall.

-Discontinue the N70 off peak north of SUNY Farmingdale

-Reroute the N19 east of Sunrise Mall via Amityville, then a simplified version of the S20 route (Oak St->Park Av->Montauk Hwy->Deer Park Av->Babylon)

-Discontinue the N19 east of Amityille during the times that the S20 runs, force transfer. Babylon trips remaining:

2 eastbound AM weekday

3 westbound AM weekday

3 weekday PM trips in each direction

3 Saturday AM trips in each direction

3 Saturday PM trips in each direction

All Sunday service

If riders complain about the S20 headways, that's SCT's responsibility. Local trips Sunrise Mall-Babylon are not LIB's responsibility.

How about cutting back the N72 to Molloy College which is serviced by S31 and S1?

I took a look at Suffolk County Transit's system map. I didn't realize Sunrise Mall is in Nassau. According to the map, there is only ONE SCT route that operates into Nassau, S20 to Sunrise Mall. There is an economic argument to operate a route to a shopping center.

The S20 and the S33 stop at the Sunrise mall.

I think transit should be about the needs of the riders who need it rather than boarders. If there is a demand to get people from Nassau into Suffolk or Sullfolk into Nassau, why not?

While the (MTA) may only have a route or two that runs into Nassau how many bus routes does NJ transit have into the City of NY?

Speaking of the (MTA), again they may only have a couple bus routes into Nassau BUT they operate the LIRR in the City, Nassau and Suffolk.

Speaking of trains, there was talk of expanding the 7 train into NJ (just a point, please let's not discuss that here lol)

So who cares about boarders? If the people who use the service use it, why not?

I thought of an idea:

-Discontinue the N55 east of Sunrise Mall

-Reroute the N19 east of Sunrise Mall via Amityville, then a simplified version of the S20 route (Oak St->Park Av->Montauk Hwy->Deer Park Av->Babylon)

-Discontinue the N19 east of Amityille during the times that the S20 runs, force transfer. Babylon trips remaining:

2 eastbound AM weekday

3 westbound AM weekday

3 weekday PM trips in each direction

3 Saturday AM trips in each direction

3 Saturday PM trips in each direction

All Sunday service

If riders complain about the S20 headways, that's SCT's responsibility. Local trips Sunrise Mall-Babylon are not LIB's responsibility.

I could agree with the N19 stuff, but what's the point of cutting the N55 back to Sunrise? I mean, it's not a very long distance, and I'd assume there'd be shopping or some other kind of ridership generator in Downtown Amityville.

How about cutting back the N72 to Molloy College which is serviced by S31 and S1?

You can't really count the S31 because it only has 2 trips. And also, what serves Route 109 then?

The S20 and the S33 stop at the Sunrise mall.

I think transit should be about the needs of the riders who need it rather than boarders. If there is a demand to get people from Nassau into Suffolk or Sullfolk into Nassau, why not?

While the (MTA) may only have a route or two that runs into Nassau how many bus routes does NJ transit have into the City of NY?

Speaking of the (MTA), again they may only have a couple bus routes into Nassau BUT they operate the LIRR in the City, Nassau and Suffolk.

Speaking of trains, there was talk of expanding the 7 train into NJ (just a point, please let's not discuss that here lol)

So who cares about boarders? If the people who use the service use it, why not?

Thank you for the correction on the S33 going to Sunrise Mall. I misread the system map. (I didn't see the green line going to the mall.) The mall could be a small transit hub to connect east-west service. S1 runs north-south already.

If transportation was self sufficient, you'd be correct. But public transit is subsidized, everything has a cost and in days of scare financial resources, every activity has to be examined. I don't know if there's a demand for service from Nassau into Suffolk. (Why would anybody in Nassau want to go to the Bablyon RR station?)

Of course, NJ Transit is going to operate into the city. NJT isn't going to shove all their bus riders onto PATH or dump them at Secaucus. There would be too much volume to handle.

I could agree with the N19 stuff, but what's the point of cutting the N55 back to Sunrise? I mean, it's not a very long distance, and I'd assume there'd be shopping or some other kind of ridership generator in Downtown Amityville.

A 20 minute headway to Amityville isn't needed, IMO. (unless someone has ridership numbers that say otherwise)

You can't really count the S31 because it only has 2 trips. And also, what serves Route 109 then?

That's why I don't support N72 cuts. If anything, reduce Saturday service to every two hours east of Route 110 and add Sunday service.

A 20 minute headway to Amityville isn't needed, IMO. (unless someone has ridership numbers that say otherwise)

That's why I don't support N72 cuts. If anything, reduce Saturday service to every two hours east of Route 110 and add Sunday service.

If service along 109 is so important, why isn't SCT operating it? Because NICE operates it. If Suffolk County can get something for free, they aren't going to complain. As for N31 service (2 AM and 2 PM trips Monday-Friday,) SCT doesn't consider it a priority. So NICE should fill in the gap?

1) A 20 minute headway to Amityville isn't needed, IMO. (unless someone has ridership numbers that say otherwise)

2) That's why I don't support N72 cuts. If anything, reduce Saturday service to every two hours east of Route 110 and add Sunday service.

1) It looks like we'll have to wait for your FOIL request to go through. ;)

2) Good point.

This raises an even BIGGER question: Why is NICE operating in Suffolk County? I'll bet Suffolk isn't covering any of the operating loss. I can understand operating to Walt Whitman and Sunrise Mall because of a shopping center. Why should the N70 go to Newsday? Why should the N72 go to Bablyon RR? Why should NICE operate between Bablyon and Freeport? Just because Utility Lines operated Patchogue-Freeport doesn't mean NICE has to operate outside the county.

With very few exceptions, MTA bus destinations stay inside city limits. The only exception I can think of is Q5 to Green Acres. (Q113 passes through Nassau ONLY to get to Far Rockaway.)

QM5 stops in nassau for the N25 along with the other Union Turnpike bus.

1) It looks like we'll have to wait for your FOIL request to go through. ;)

2) Good point.

I'm going to wait until the summer before placing it. It's one of those that requires a hard copy letter to an agency. Nassau doesn't even provide a paper form like SCT did.

Still waiting on NYCT...

QM5 stops in nassau for the N25 along with the other Union Turnpike bus.

I checked the N25 schedule. N25 doesn't connect with the QM5 nor does it go into Queens. I looked at the Queens Bus Map. QM5 doesn't go into Nassau County and N25 doesn't show up on the map. NICE routes that operate into Queens are on the map.

I checked the N25 schedule. N25 doesn't connect with the QM5 nor does it go into Queens. I looked at the Queens Bus Map. QM5 doesn't go into Nassau County and N25 doesn't show up on the map. NICE routes that operate into Queens are on the map.

I think Marc may have been referring to the QM6.

http://www.mta.info/...maps/busqns.pdf

http://www.nicebus.com/_meta/NewRoutePDFs/NICE_SystemMap_April8.pdf

The Q46, Qm6 and N25 share stops on Lakeville Rd

I think Marc may have been referring to the QM6.

http://www.mta.info/...maps/busqns.pdf

http://www.nicebus.c...mMap_April8.pdf

The Q46, Qm6 and N25 share stops on Lakeville Rd

That makes sense. However, my point was the MTA doesn't operate into Nassau, except for the routes to Green Acres. QM6 goes into Nassau just to swing to Glen Oaks up Lakeville Road and Marcus Avenue.

• 4 months later...

How come the S1 doesn't go to the mall?

I know this is old but I think I may have a reason why the S1 doesn't go to Sunrise Mall.

Back when Suffolk Started their system,they had a route that ran from Sunrise Mall to Walt Whitman Mall, it was called the S21. It ran up the back road to NYS 109 to NYS 110. (The route was run I assume by EBT Inc and the company it was spun from, until it got the contract to operate the S1 in 1985 after Alert Coach Lines was dropped, about that time the S21 was cut) Alert Coach Lines, operated the S40 after Suffolk dropped MSBA after a funding dispute, Alert would then be fired because of complaints, and MSBA was rehired until 1981 when the route was turned over to Suufolk Bus Corp.

I don't know why the S1 wasn't extended to Sunrise after the S21 was cut, maybe because the stop wasn't a great draw, Maybe riders found it easier to take a Nassau bus from Sunrise Mall and transfer to the N79.

Nostagia, there are lots of NICE (former Long Island Buses) transfer between Suffolk County Transit buses.

During Elmhurst Transit Town Hall meeting in Queens, I woke up early in morning and travel into Suffolk County via NICE Bus to Babylon Station, then went up via S20, which got broken down somewhere on enroute, came the replace bus and made to n79 Hicksville at Walt Whitman Mall.

There were few passengers from bus I took also transfer to n79 bus.

Connecting NICE Bus and Suffolk County Transit allows easier transfer, then paid extra money for train after taking Suffolk County Transit and NICE Bus.

Speaking off, I also have seen NYCT's Access-A-Ride paratransit bringing their disabled passengers into Great Neck Station, maybe because these people don't want to paid $3.75 for NICE Able-Ride.

Nostagia, there are lots of NICE (former Long Island Buses) transfer between Suffolk County Transit buses.

During Elmhurst Transit Town Hall meeting in Queens, I woke up early in morning and travel into Suffolk County via NICE Bus to Babylon Station, then went up via S20, which got broken down somewhere on enroute, came the replace bus and made to n79 Hicksville at Walt Whitman Mall.

There were few passengers from bus I took also transfer to n79 bus.

Another example of why the S1 and n19 should meet. Many people take the train from Babylon who work along the corridor, they wish they could take the n19 from Babylon and connect with the S1, when they find out it's a 15-20 min walk from Merrick Rd. to Amityville RR they're not so interested. I think logically Suffolk should extend the S1 down to the corner of 110 & Merrick Rd (keeping the bus on 11o of course) making a connection to the n19, they're really not adding too much time. NICE has no control over what Suffolk does (unless they make a request but NICE has the power to reroute the n19 to Amityville RR and I think has the oppurtunity to pick a nice (yes pun inteded) amount of Pax who will be leaving the LIRR to bored a bus in Babylon PAY $2.25 on the n19 transfer @ Amityville RR and using their free transfer on the S1. Not only would NICE be taking pax away from the LIRR they'd be taking the fare in Babylon leacing SCT with the transfer. If only NICE could see what they are missing here on their next round of changes..

Another example of why the S1 and n19 should meet. Many people take the train from Babylon who work along the corridor, they wish they could take the n19 from Babylon and connect with the S1, when they find out it's a 15-20 min walk from Merrick Rd. to Amityville RR they're not so interested. I think logically Suffolk should extend the S1 down to the corner of 110 & Merrick Rd (keeping the bus on 11o of course) making a connection to the n19, they're really not adding too much time. NICE has no control over what Suffolk does (unless they make a request but NICE has the power to reroute the n19 to Amityville RR and I think has the oppurtunity to pick a nice (yes pun inteded) amount of Pax who will be leaving the LIRR to bored a bus in Babylon PAY $2.25 on the n19 transfer @ Amityville RR and using their free transfer on the S1. Not only would NICE be taking pax away from the LIRR they'd be taking the fare in Babylon leacing SCT with the transfer. If only NICE could see what they are missing here on their next round of changes..

LIRR is timed whereas N19 isn't. Plus if they work on rte 110 why not just use N72 to S1 which is faster than S1 amityville. Especially if your comming out babylon.

LIRR is timed whereas N19 isn't. Plus if they work on rte 110 why not just use N72 to S1 which is faster than S1 amityville. Especially if your comming out babylon.

Don't know you'd have to ask them, I heard this many times from people while riding the S1 there must be a reason. I think many people wanted to save the money they were spending on the LIRR why they went from Babylon to Amityville via the LIRR I have no idea, there must be a reason many did this.

And what if they were going to past farmingdale college north towards Huntington? How would the n72 be an option even if they were coming from Babylon RR?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived